+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    NYYF Triple Crown

YES Network Content Is Mostly Terrible

Does an experienced programmer also not fit in the budget? Outside the periodic show analyzing the offseason, the non live sport shows are mostly garbage. Tonight they had on that useless Forbes show. Why can't YES compete with SNY and have some legit sports news content? It is New York City. Finding a few personalities can't be that card. The Yankeeographys and classic games also seem to be scheduled at random. Anyway.

NYYF Legend

Re: YES Network Content Is Mostly Terrible

Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung4Vazquez View Post
    Does an experienced programmer also not fit in the budget? Outside the periodic show analyzing the offseason, the non live sport shows are mostly garbage. Tonight they had on that useless Forbes show. Why can't YES compete with SNY and have some legit sports news content? It is New York City. Finding a few personalities can't be that card. The Yankeeographys and classic games also seem to be scheduled at random. Anyway.
    I'm not even sure why they call themselves a network. They're not a network, they're a single channel operator with no affiliates. CBS, ABC, FOX, etc... are networks because each city has an independently owned franchise affiliate who picks up the national feed for primetime/daytime shows & some news but the rest is local programming produced by them. There is no local programming of any kind for YES, there are no independent franchises

I like how SNY does the Mets yearbook. Each show features a different year in Mets history. YES shows the same old crap over & over.

It's awful, almost insulting, coverage and content. The Yankee organization has taken their fans for granted for far too long. With their inevitable decline and seeming ineptitude (more glaring now that there's a truly tight budget), and jaded, passionless fans that aren't exactly clamoring for seats, Steinbrenner, Levine, Trost and company, in all their arrogance, are in for a rude awakening. Can't say I'll feel heartbroken for them.

Yeah, they've pretty much boiled down to Francesca, best of Francesca, running, Forbes sports money, Israeli basketball, centerstage, and Yankeeography (or tired "classic") du-jour. The classics have been pretty stale for a while now...every time my dad walks by and sees that I'm watching one he asks me "oh, what made this one a classic - did Granderson hit a sac fly?"

Even MLB network has been boring lately. They have all the offseason/hot stove shows - which are good don't get me wrong, but they never show any old games anymore even with the vast collection that MLB has. As soon as they made that "greatest 20 games" highlight show they stopped playing old games during the offseason. Idk maybe that only bugs me

It could have been so much more than it what it has become.

SNY is hands down better for non baseball programming. The Jets post game they do is so good I sometimes watch it over the start of 4pm games

The pre Dolan MSG network was the best for true non biased coverage

NYYF Legend

Hey most of TV is pure garbage. I really don't watch much of YES except for the Yankee games but what I do watch I enjoy. All I can say is that I am glad we have YES. When it has something on that I want to see, I truly enjoy it. No complaints from me.

Andy
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

Quote Originally Posted by Gehrig39 View Post
    Yeah, they've pretty much boiled down to Francesca, best of Francesca, running, Forbes sports money, Israeli basketball, centerstage, and Yankeeography (or tired "classic") du-jour. The classics have been pretty stale for a while now...every time my dad walks by and sees that I'm watching one he asks me "oh, what made this one a classic - did Granderson hit a sac fly?"

Even MLB network has been boring lately. They have all the offseason/hot stove shows - which are good don't get me wrong, but they never show any old games anymore even with the vast collection that MLB has. As soon as they made that "greatest 20 games" highlight show they stopped playing old games during the offseason. Idk maybe that only bugs me
    I couldn't have said it better. When I first heard the Yankees were launching their own channel 11 years ago, my first thought was "I'm never going to walk away from the TV." Other than a few Yankeeographies (which still pale in comparison to ESPN SportsCentury) and maybe a few Hot Stove shows, it is mostly unwatchable unless there is an actual game on.
    The artist formerly known as BillBuckner.

They need to start airing minor league games.

My History. Your Tradition. JDPNYY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jax Teller View Post
    That would be terrific.
    Complaining is a choice

NYYF Legend

Why do they pick a few games from a season as "Yankee Classics" ... and then show them over and over for one off-season and then never again?

I don't know how many times I've run into that crazy weird game in September vs. Oakland that went 14 innings, and the A's hit 3 home runs in the 13th to take a 9-5 lead, and the Yankees came back and tied it in the bottom of the 13th (the last two runs coming on one of those Raul Ibanez specials I am going to miss next year), and then they won it in the 14th even though Melky Mesa missed third base and A-Rod didn't get the winning RBI. I think I just about have every play memorized by now.

But no games from the regular season in 2011, 2010, 2009, ever, ever again?

Quote Originally Posted by -tz View Post
    Why do they pick a few games from a season as "Yankee Classics" ... and then show them over and over for one off-season and then never again?

I don't know how many times I've run into that crazy weird game in September vs. Oakland that went 14 innings, and the A's hit 3 home runs in the 13th to take a 9-5 lead, and the Yankees came back and tied it in the bottom of the 13th (the last run being one of those Raul Ibanez specials I am going to miss next year), and then they won it in the 14th even though Melky Mesa missed third base and A-Rod didn't get the winning RBI. I think I just about have every play memorized by now.

But no games from the regular season in 2011, 2010, 2009, ever, ever again?
    Truth is the ratings are so low they have no reason to put any thought into it, YES exists to show the Yankees, nothing more. They get their rights fees no matter what

As much as people tend to knock them showing Francessa, he generates more ratings then any non live Yankee programming could dream of generating

NYYF Cy Young

They used to- Minor League Mondays. No idea why they stopped.

Quote Originally Posted by yankeesrule View Post
    They used to- Minor League Mondays. No idea why they stopped.
    Ratings. No one as watching and it costs money to show them. It is cheaper to show a replay.

For those who think YES could be more, I disagree. They tried the minors, Yankeeographys, classic games, following fans, etc....what other things could they try?

My History. Your Tradition. JDPNYY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by yankees2010 View Post
    Ratings. No one as watching and it costs money to show them. It is cheaper to show a replay.

For those who think YES could be more, I disagree. They tried the minors, Yankeeographys, classic games, following fans, etc....what other things could they try?
    They could improve 25 hours a week by having dead air instead of Mike Franchesco.
    Complaining is a choice

Alright, alright, alright... Big_E's Avatar
    37 miles from the Home Office of Baseball

The Mets already have their own channel.

Fantasy Baseball: Larrupin' Lou's

I'd Rather Play Calvinball NyQuil's Avatar

Here is a list of what I watch on YES:

1) Yankee games.
    I'm in your thread, stealing RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees' identity.

Quote Originally Posted by 4bronxbombers
    Well....I am a total bacon whore...

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post
    Here is a list of what I watch on YES:

1) Yankee games.
    Pretty much, what else is there?

I can watch bernie williams play guitar only for so many minutes (less than 5??)

NYYF Legend

while i do hate michael kay centerstage does get some good guests and the format is more personal.

i am amazed that these people would do YES but some of the interviews are pretty good and worth watching once.

Kay stays out of the way more or less and lets the guys tell their stories.

i am sure many disagree and i don't make a point to watch it but if nothing else is on and there is a good guest i will watch it.

NYYF Legend

YES should be doing Giants pre and post game shows, like SNY does. After a Jets (when they were worth watching), I would always switch to SNY to get the locker room interviews. The Yankees YES postgame show generally sucks though.

On MSG, they have Knicks, Rangers, Devils, & Islanders, then they round that off with player bios and random shows. YES needs more watchable filler

Quote Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
    YES should be doing Giants pre and post game shows, like SNY does. After a Jets (when they were worth watching), I would always switch to SNY to get the locker room interviews. The Yankees YES postgame show generally sucks though.

On MSG, they have Knicks, Rangers, Devils, & Islanders, then they round that off with player bios and random shows. YES needs more watchable filler
    Yet, somehow, they're still like one of the top 3 sports networks on TV (forgot where I heard that) and #1 in the NYC Metro area. I think keeping it more "Yankees" has brought them enough success, so why change that? People like Yankee classics, Yankee hot stove, Yankeeograhy, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    They could improve 25 hours a week by having dead air instead of Mike Franchesco.
    Fatcesa speaks the truth and just the truth!

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by TrueYankee01 View Post
    Yet, somehow, they're still like one of the top 3 sports networks on TV (forgot where I heard that) and #1 in the NYC Metro area. I think keeping it more "Yankees" has brought them enough success, so why change that? People like Yankee classics, Yankee hot stove, Yankeeograhy, etc...
    I'd be interested to see the ratings for all the sports channels. Some are purely regional and some like YES are regional but available elsewhere. ESPN is the gold standard and then there's everybody else. These are the ones I can think of off the top of my head:

ESPN
    NBC Sports
    Fox Sports
    CBS Sports
    MSG
    SNY
    YES
    WGN Sports
    MLB TV
    NBA TV
    NHLN
    NFLN

I guess WGN spun off the Cubs games onto WGN sports, and what happened to all the Braves games that were on TBS?

Quote Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
    I'd be interested to see the ratings for all the sports channels. Some are purely regional and some like YES are regional but available elsewhere. ESPN is the gold standard and then there's everybody else. These are the ones I can think of off the top of my head:

ESPN
    NBC Sports
    Fox Sports
    CBS Sports
    MSG
    SNY
    YES
    WGN Sports
    MLB TV
    NBA TV
    NHLN
    NFLN

I guess WGN spun off the Cubs games onto WGN sports, and what happened to all the Braves games that were on TBS?
    When MLB awarded Turner the Sunday games and post season package, part of the agreement was TBS would no longer show Braves games on the Superstation.

Thread Information