+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: The All Time Good Guy Team

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    Why are we calling Cal Ripken a "good guy"? That's not exactly how I would describe him.

If you're looking for a "good guy" at SS who isn't Jeter, how about Ernie Banks?
    I'm trying to stay in my time period. Choosing players before me would be guessing and assuming about things I don't know. Which is why I said Jeter as a possible Ripken replacement.
    You're a stranger til she whispers you can stay.
    You're a stranger til she whispers that your journey's over.

NYYFans Fantasy Baseball:
    CBS: Evil Empire
    Yahoo: Special OPS

Quote Originally Posted by jcarey View Post
    Not sure if serious...
    Quite. Something about him I don't know? I'm unaware of any douchebaggery on his part.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    Quite. Something about him I don't know? I'm unaware of any douchebaggery on his part.
    Maybe he's referring to Chipper's extramarital affair and having a son out of wedlock, which, to me, really isn't that unusual in the game.

From all the accounts I've heard, Chipper was one of the nicer guys in the game who had no attitude and treated fans like human beings. Now that's unusual when it comes to sports stars.

I could care less about marriage issues. We don't know the situation so that doesn't mean anything in my eyes. I know as a player he was loved and was a leader very early in his career and that's what I'm basing it on. You don't spend your career on one team unless you can get along with management, fans, media, etc. typically that is a sign of a great clubhouse guy these days with few exceptions.

Brooks Robinson is, by all accounts, an extraordinary sort of person in the Musial mold - humble, approachable, decent, respected and admired by former teammates, and the most beloved athlete in Baltimore.

http://www.pressboxonline.com/blog.cfm?id=4012
    http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/spor...th_brooks.html
    http://www.going9baseball.com/2010/0...-a-star-apart/
    http://articles.baltimoresun.com/201...nson-sculpture
    http://www.pressboxonline.com/blog.cfm?id=5309
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by Big_E View Post
    I met Steve Howe once. Very nice guy. Same thing, Bob Feller.
    Feller was a Boy Wonder and a war hero. But he said some things that could be viewed as racist by some or just Feller being outspoken by others.

For what it's worth, he downplayed Mays' catch in the 1954 WS choosing Dusty Rhodes HR as the highlight.

"A lot of center fielders could have caught the ball Mays caught. He put on the act pretty good; he always did. He let his hat fly off,then threw the ball back to the infield. The ball was hit into a small wind. The ball came down like a popup. He was playing shallow, but Vic
    Wertz was the hitter, so he should not have been playing shallow."

As for Jackie Robinson, he said the following:

“He’s tied up in the shoulders and can’t hit an inside pitch to save his neck. If he were a white man, I doubt if they would even consider him big league material, except perhaps as a bat boy.”

For what it's worth I met him many years ago and had the chance to chat with him for a few minutes and he seemed like a genuinely nice man.

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Brooks Robinson is, by all accounts, an extraordinary sort of person in the Musial mold...

On the subjct of Os, can vouch for Boog Powell, having had the pleasure of meeting him @ CY during a Yankees series. He sure loves the fans and they love him!

Another vote for Ernie Banks, definately!!

The only 'strike' against Chipper I was aware of was that he named his son "Shea", after You-Know-Where.

This is a fun thread

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    Al Kaline always had a rep for being a good guy. For that matter, Tim Wakefield always impressed me as a stand-up guy.
    Yes, Al Kaline MUST be in there somewhere.
    It ain't like football. You can't make up no trick plays. ~Yogi Berra
    NYYFans.com - Simply the best sports forum on the 'net. Thank you!

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by HerbieLee20 View Post

The only 'strike' against Chipper I was aware of was that he named his son "Shea", after You-Know-Where.
    Nevermind the whole cheating on his wife thing with a Hooters waitress.

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by eaganmafia View Post
    Nevermind the whole cheating on his wife thing with a Hooters waitress.

Like why would a Yankee fan give a flying fart anyways? Wasn't our husband, so who knows the circumstances. (For the record, I am that person flipping the rags backwards @ checkout counters in stores.)

Back OnT: I'd add Greg Maddux to this team.
    (Not gonna search Natn'l Enquirer archives to see if he qualifies or not, either.)

NYYF Legend

On the subjct of Os, can vouch for Boog Powell, having had the pleasure of meeting him @ CY during a Yankees series. He sure loves the fans and they love him!

Another vote for Ernie Banks, definately!!

This is a fun thread
    My neighbor meet Powell in Florida, where their houses are in the same area. He said Powell couldn't have been less friendly to him.....dropping the "f bomb" when referring to his playing days. Must have had a bad day on the golf course. I've seen him at his Boog's Barbeque stand at OP and he's usually posing for photos.
    September 28, 2008 - the day the HOF got a wake-up Moose call.

Like why would a Yankee fan give a flying fart anyways? Wasn't our husband, so who knows the circumstances. (For the record, I am that person flipping the rags backwards @ checkout counters in stores.)

Back OnT: I'd add Greg Maddux to this team.
    (Not gonna search Natn'l Enquirer archives to see if he qualifies or not, either.)
    Dishonesty, infidelity, selfishness. The bar must be set really low for this ALL-TIME Good Guy Team.

Plus he called someone's baby ugly over twitter.

good guy david wells
    always reasonable

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by 35Knucklecurve View Post
    My neighbor meet Powell in Florida, where their houses are in the same area. He said Powell couldn't have been less friendly to him.....dropping the "f bomb" when referring to his playing days. Must have had a bad day on the golf course. I've seen him at his Boog's Barbeque stand at OP and he's usually posing for photos.
    Worked amongst golfers for many years so *may* be inclined to give him a mulligan at that time. Saw the coolest of heads lose it on bad days.

Ask golfers, do you know why they named the sport "Golf"?
    Answer: because it was the only four-lettered word LEFT (Seriously.)

Quote Originally Posted by jcarey View Post
    Dishonesty, infidelity, selfishness. The bar must be set really low for this ALL-TIME Good Guy Team.

Plus he called someone's baby ugly over twitter.
    Holy cow.

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Brooks Robinson is, by all accounts, an extraordinary sort of person in the Musial mold - humble, approachable, decent, respected and admired by former teammates, and the most beloved athlete in Baltimore.
    I can vouch for this. He did a free signing at a mall in Fishkill, NY when I was 15 (?). Personalized every item if you wanted (still have mine), stopped for conversation, friendly tone, all of it. I'll never forget when the show ended, we saw him leaving in a town car and he waved to my aunt.
    I realize he got paid something even though the signing was free, but I wondered where he was living that he would do a show in Fishkill.
    Don't tease me, you know what I do for a living.

Quote Originally Posted by philleotardo View Post
    I can vouch for this.
    I was at an old-timers game in Arlington, TX sometime in the mid to late 80s. Robinson came off the field after warming up, announced to the people behind the dugout (including me) that he would sign for 10 minutes. He spoke to each person even if it was only a "How are you doing?" I still have the ball he signed for me. I don't recall that any other of the old-timers signed at all and he certainly wouldn't have had to if he hadn't been so inclined.
    I can't complain but sometimes I still do. - Joe Walsh

Quote Originally Posted by LongtimeNYYFan View Post
    Feller was a Boy Wonder and a war hero. But he said some things that could be viewed as racist by some or just Feller being outspoken by others.

For what it's worth, he downplayed Mays' catch in the 1954 WS choosing Dusty Rhodes HR as the highlight.

"A lot of center fielders could have caught the ball Mays caught. He put on the act pretty good; he always did. He let his hat fly off,then threw the ball back to the infield. The ball was hit into a small wind. The ball came down like a popup. He was playing shallow, but Vic
    Wertz was the hitter, so he should not have been playing shallow."

As for Jackie Robinson, he said the following:

“He’s tied up in the shoulders and can’t hit an inside pitch to save his neck. If he were a white man, I doubt if they would even consider him big league material, except perhaps as a bat boy.”

For what it's worth I met him many years ago and had the chance to chat with him for a few minutes and he seemed like a genuinely nice man.
    Feller was NOT racist; he just was very honest in his opinions. Shoot, he formed barnstorming tours with players from the Negro League for a number of years.

If any of the old Indians were still living, I'm sure they would tell you he didn't have a racist bone in his body.
    “The only real game, I think, in the world is baseball.” - Babe Ruth

I asked Brooks Robinson for an autograph for my 2 sons and he couldn't have been nicer. Another good guy 3rd baseman was Al Rosen.

Quote Originally Posted by awy View Post
    good guy david wells
    Yes, he's a real nice guy!! Around Cleveland he was always a pain.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    nice guys finish last
    I finished shortly after reading "Ruben Sierra" on that list.

I'll put in a word foe Rod Beck, the former reliever for the Giants, Cubs and Padres. When he was coming back after reconstructive surgery and was pitching for the Iowa Cubs, he lived in an RV parked right outside the outfield wall. Anyone who wanted to could come by after the game - or whenever - for a Coors Light, conversation, an autograph if you cared. Everyone welcome.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

NYYF Legend

Though Ted Williams had constant runins with the media and certainly during his career had a bad relationship with the fans, he did serve in two Wars flying fighters and getting shot down twice. His long and heavy involvement with the Jimmy fund and his many other charitable works qualify hin for inclusion. Also he was normally warm to fans outside the ballpark

Andy
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

I agree. He had a good head on his shoulders.

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    Early nominee for 2013 post of the year.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

Quote Originally Posted by Nome View Post
    Though Ted Williams had constant runins with the media and certainly during his career had a bad relationship with the fans, he did serve in two Wars flying fighters and getting shot down twice. His long and heavy involvement with the Jimmy fund and his many other charitable works qualify hin for inclusion. Also he was normally warm to fans outside the ballpark

Andy
    I don't know how warm Williams was or wasn't to fans outside the ballpark. But his behavior towards them in the ballpark, IMHO, disqualifies him from any place on an "All Time Good Guy" team. Granted, the fans weren't always so nice to him, but an All Time Good Guy still doesn't have to apologize for "insulting gestures" towards the fans, and he certainly doesn't spit at them (on at least two different occasions).

Just to clarify his war record (though certainly not to denigrate it): Williams did not get the chance to fly combat missions during WWII. He finished his aviation training in mid-1944, and spent the rest of the war as a flight instructor while awaiting assignment as a replacement pilot overseas. He did fly 39 missions in Korea, and on one of them (not two) his plane was hit by enemy fire, and he had to crash-land his badly damaged, burning plane at the nearest American base. He barely survived.

As I said, my intention is not to denigrate his war service but to honor it. I do, however, wish that Jerry Coleman's career as a Marine pilot were better known.

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    - Barry Manilow

Thread Information