+ Reply to Thread
Page 39 of 40 FirstFirst ... 29 36 37 38 39 40 LastLast
    NYYF Legend

Re: The Longest Injury Update Thread Ever 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    I hope this thread stays quiet, or at least that there's nothing serious to report.

Nove lifted after 70-something pitches, A-Rod pulled before the 8th and Romine leaves after a foul tip to the mask in the 8th.
    Nova has a recurrence of triceps soreness, something he's had for a while; Joe is hopeful that he won't miss a start.

A-Rod has a slight left hamstring issue. Girardi hopes he can DH tomorrow. A-Rod says he iced it and a doctor looked at it and it checked out OK, he is optimistic about tomorrow.

Romine probably has a concussion. He passed the tests on the field, but then experienced nausea.

All from the My Nine and Yes postgame shows. Here's a couple of tweets, to boot:

Daniel Barbarisi @DanBarbarisi
    Nova said hes been pitching through triceps problem for a while. Doesn't want to miss a start or get extra rest but acknowledged it's possible
    Sweeny Murti @YankeesWFAN
    ARod felt hamstring tighten when he scored in the 8th. Not bad. Thinks he can DH at the least tomorrow.

NYYF Legend

It just doesn't end:

Jack Curry @JackCurryYES
    As replay had indicated, it's a left oblique strain with Gardner. Troubling injury news on one of Yankees best players.

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by -tz View Post
    It just doesn't end:
    Don't know whether to cry or be nauseaus... oh wait. too late
    He'll never get another milestone like that one. So what? His whole career is a milestone. - JL25and3

NYYF Legend

YES postgame show: Gardner is going to New York for an MRI. He was non-committal about how bad he thought it was ... but if he has to wait for the MRI to tell him, it can't be good ... can it?

NYYF MVP

It just turned into September 13th, which reminds me of my brother Peter, today's his birthday.. Born in 1955, too bad he died 10yrs ago from a pill overdose! For me it's the longest injury ever... Happy birthday Pete, again too bad your not here to enjoy it...

Quote Originally Posted by NoodleRay View Post
    It just turned into September 13th, which reminds me of my brother Peter, today's his birthday.. Born in 1955, too bad he died 10yrs ago from a pill overdose! For me it's the longest injury ever... Happy birthday Pete, again too bad your not here to enjoy it...
    My condolences.
    I'm NO american born confused desi, but i love my yanks!

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by -tz View Post
    YES postgame show: Gardner is going to New York for an MRI. He was non-committal about how bad he thought it was ... but if he has to wait for the MRI to tell him, it can't be good ... can it?
    No it can't. Obliques take forever to heal, and easy to re-injure. That fact that it is bad enough to require an MRI....hoping for the best....
    Goin for 2<strike>7</strike>8!

NYYF Legend

Ugh. Gardner did not travel with the team, and is not in Boston.

http://nesn.com/2013/09/brett-gardne...blique-injury/

Sounds ominous, tough row to hoe to keep driving forward without him at leadoff.....
    Goin for 2<strike>7</strike>8!

NYYF MVP

This thread, this team's story should be the baseball story of the year, Ripley's Division.

How the HELl are they anywhere near a game out of a playoff spot?! Not 10 or 20 out -- ONE game! And three from the top WC team! And with *The* 43 year old closer in doubt last year (who is leading the league in saves! Not just racking them up easily behind a team hitting 200 homers-- he's been working overtime to boot!!)

Boston (and the other) should be 60 games above them, with how healthy/lucky their players have been this year!
    He'll never get another milestone like that one. So what? His whole career is a milestone. - JL25and3

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by HerbieLee20 View Post
    This thread, this team's story should be the baseball story of the year, Ripley's Division.
    Probably not going to get a lot of sympathy around the league when your payroll is quarter of a billion dollars.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

NYYF Legend

Gardner has a Grade 1 oblique strain:

http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/news/...k_nyy&c_id=nyy

Gardner had an MRI performed on Friday in New York that revealed the strain. Losing the 30-year-old, who performed well as the club's leadoff hitter and everyday center fielder, will be a tough blow as the Yankees attempt to chase a playoff spot.

"It's a big loss," manager Joe Girardi said. "We've had to overcome a lot over the course of this year and we're going to have to continue to do that. People are going to have to step up in his absence."

Girardi said that it is possible that Gardner could return first as a pinch-runner, then as a full player, if the oblique strain heals quickly. However, Girardi also acknowledged that it is possible Gardner has played his last game of the regular season.

NYYF Legend

Some slightly better news regarding the walking wounded (link in the previous post):

• Catcher Austin Romine (concussion) took some swings on Friday and said that he is continuing to feel better. Romine took an ImPACT test on Thursday, and Girardi said that although it went well, it is possible Romine won't be available to play this weekend.

• Left-hander Boone Logan (left elbow tightness) told Girardi that he was feeling better, and Girardi said that he is "hoping that he turned the corner." Logan shut down a throwing session on Thursday in Baltimore after just five tosses due to discomfort.

• The Yankees are planning to play Alex Rodriguez (tight left hamstring) at third base on Saturday. Rodriguez has served as the designated hitter in three straight games since feeling his hamstring grab while running the bases on Tuesday in Baltimore.

NYYF MVP

OMG just put the game on

Sori wt*

NYYF Legend

OMG just put the game on

Sori wt*
    Alfonso Soriano was a late scratch from the Yankees' lineup with a sprained right thumb, the team announced Saturday.

Soriano was batting cleanup in manager Joe Girardi's original batting order against Red Sox left-hander Jon Lester. The change was announced shortly before the scheduled first pitch.

"To me, it's very tough to watch the game," said Soriano, who received treatment on his thumb during the Yankees' 5-1 loss at Fenway Park. "We lost, too, which makes it worse. There's nothing I can do about the game today, so I hope tomorrow we've got a better chance to win and play better."

Soriano said that he bent his thumb back while making a dive in the outfield on Thursday against the Orioles in Baltimore. He went 1-for-4 in the Yankees' 8-4 loss to the Red Sox on Friday, and Soriano said he may have aggravated the thumb by sliding head first into second base on a stolen base.

"My hand last night was feeling good," Soriano said. "This morning, my thumb is a little swollen. When I go to the cage, I'm not feeling good. I just talked to Joe and said my hand is a little swollen and I cannot go today."
    Girardi said that he is not sure if Soriano will be available for Sunday's series finale.

"The swelling is going down, I hope, and I'll be available to take my at-bats," Soriano said. "It's only like two weeks left. I just want to keep playing and try to help the team to win."
    http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/news/...k_nyy&c_id=nyy

NYYF Legend

It says a couple of posts above that Joe was hoping to play A-Rod at third on Saturday. Didn't happen. On Friday, he couldn't score from first on a double. And apparently we're lucky to have him as DH ...

Joe Girardi said he never checked with Alex Rodriguez this morning. Didn’t make sure his legs feel up to another day at designated hitter, just put his name in the lineup and trusted that Rodriguez would speak up if he needed a day off.

“I saw him, and he didn’t tell me he couldn’t play, so I just left it,” Girardi said.

The Yankees have a day off on Monday, and they have another one the Monday after that. The regular season ends a week after that. With that schedule giving everyone a few days off, Girardi acknowledged there’s potential for Rodriguez to be a DH the rest of the year.

“I do (think it’s possible),” Girardi said. “Once we get through these 17 days, the schedule is a little more friendly. We actually have an off day coming up. … You’d like to maybe give another guy a DH day once in a while too, but if it’s what we have to do, it’s what we have to do.”
    http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2013/09/1...n-the-stretch/

Addicted Member

Gardner gone for the year and now Alfonso Soriano hurt. That's it. God hates us.

NYYF MVP

BOSTON -- The Yankees made a roster move to assist their taxed bullpen on Saturday, reinstating right-hander David Phelps from the 60-day disabled list….

Girardi said that Phelps has faced some professional hitters under simulated conditions down in Tampa, Fla., including Travis Hafner, so he might have to be trusted right away against the Red Sox...
    "I'm not so sure we have a chance to be patient with him. He might be thrown right in the fire," Girardi said.
    In a corresponding roster move, the Yankees transferred shortstop Derek Jeter to the 60-day disabled list.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...k_nyy&c_id=nyy

"Including Travis Hafner"

NYYF Legend

Soriano is back in the lineup tonight, and A-Rod is still there, still DHing. However ...

Boone Logan was sent to see Dr. Andrews to have his elbow checked out.
    http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2013/09/1...in-the-lineup/

NYYF Legend

Soriano playing through it:

wallace matthews @ESPNNYYankees
    Soriano will play with a pad on his thumb tonight: "it's not normal but it's OK"

NYYF Legend

Some more details on Soriano, A-Rod and Logan ... and Brett Gardner.

Here’s the status of Alfonso Soriano’s sore thumb.

“It’s not normal, but it’s OK,” Soriano said. “… If it’s not September and we’re not in the race, I’d take a couple more days off. I think we’re in the race and it’s not time to take a day off. I just want to do the best I can and help the team to win.”

Even at less than 100 percent, it’s hard to keep Soriano out of the lineup right now. Same with Alex Rodriguez, who’s clearly not running very well but continues to play through his tight hamstring.

“We have 13 games left,” Joe Girardi said. “And we need to win a majority of them.”

Soriano hit in the cage today and said he felt a lot better than yesterday. He received no cortisone injection — that surely would have forced him out of the lineup for at least a game or two — but will wear a small protective guard at the base of his right thumb. He said it doesn’t affect him throwing the ball, he only feels it when he hits.

“I just try to swing good contact, good pitch,” he said. “That’s what I’m going for.”

• Boone Logan was sent today to see Dr. James Andrews about his sore elbow. The appointment is tomorrow, but Logan left today. “He actually played catch yesterday, and he played better catch,” Girardi said. “But just to reassure everything’s OK, we sent him there.”

• Brett Gardner has rejoined the team, but it’s going to be at least a week before he does any sort of baseball activity, and he doesn’t sound optimistic about coming back this season. “I hope I can, but you’ve got to be realistic about it too,” he said. “We’re running out of time, and the only way I can come back is if I’m at 100 percent. Hopefully I get there, but we’ll see. It all depends on how quickly I heal, and how well I take care of it, I guess.”

• Although Girardi has said Gardner might come back as a pinch runner before he’s back as a full player, Gardner seemed to think that’s unlikely. Running is going to impact the oblique, and he’s not allowed to run at all right now. “I think if I can run 100 percent, I can swing and do everything else 100 percent,” he said. “But I’ve never had this kind of thing happen before, so I don’t know. We don’t have a lot of time left, so we’ll see.”
    http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2013/09/1...ame-notes-101/

NYYF Legend

I think in a season filled with nothing but injuries, the tipping point has been well reached.

NYYF Legend

A-Rod left the taxing DH position in tonight's game with a "tight right calf." To go with his left hamstring problem. Swell.

http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2013/09/1...es-at-red-sox/ (10:13 PM update.)

NYYF MVP

So in 7 innings, guy with the sprained thumb has the only hit?
    Up yours!!, baseball gods.

NYYF Legend

So in 7 innings, guy with the sprained thumb has the only hit?
    Up yours!!, baseball gods.
    Now, now. They have FOUR hits. Three of 'em by guys with un-sprained thumbs, though one is now out with a tight calf.

Thread Information