+ Reply to Thread
Page 27 of 40 FirstFirst ... 17 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 37 ... LastLast
    Addicted Member

Re: The Longest Injury Update Thread Ever 2013

Youkilis has a herniated disc and needs surgery. Out for 10-12 weeks. (MLB Network)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    LOL!!! That must have been a Freudian slip.... Gardy's so HOT!
    At leats ARod thinks so....

37 miles from the Home Office of Baseball

Quote Originally Posted by LongtimeNYYFan View Post
    Youkilis has a herniated disc and needs surgery. Out for 10-12 weeks. (MLB Network)
    At this point, why not just take off the rest of the season?

Fantasy Baseball: Larrupin' Lou's

Quote Originally Posted by LongtimeNYYFan View Post
    Gee.... What a surprise, and a waste of 12m!
    Too bad I didn't rush out a get my Youk Jersey!

Quote Originally Posted by Big_E View Post
    At this point, why not just take off the rest of the season?
    He's done.... what a waste of 12m.

37 miles from the Home Office of Baseball

Quote Originally Posted by Lola View Post
    He's done.... what a waste of 12m.
    Well, it's only $6,000,000 per home run.

Fantasy Baseball: Larrupin' Lou's

NYYF Legend

More details on Youk, and the latest on Tex:

The Yankees have made a flurry of announcements in my short time at the Stadium today. First, it was announced that Mark Teixeira is heading back onto the disabled list with inflammation in his oft-injured right wrist. While the early indications are that the Yankees expect Tex to return shortly after his 15-day DL stint has concluded, the news for Kevin Youkilis is worse. Brian Cashman just told us that Youk has a herniated disc in his back that will require surgery. He will have the surgery on Thursday, and is then expected to miss 10-12 weeks. Simply put, his season is now in jeopardy.

The Yankees brought up switch-hitting outfielder Zoilo Almonte to take Tex’s roster spot, and also brought Adam Warren back up while designating Chris Bootcheck for assignment.
    http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2013/06/1...ack-on-the-dl/

Additionally, the Yankees received an unfortunate report from Kevin Youkilis' doctor visit in California. Dr. Robert Watkins will perform surgery on Thursday to repair a herniated disc in Youkilis' back; he is expected to miss 10-12 weeks, according to general manager Brian Cashman.

Youkilis will stay in California, his home state, until he is able to get on a field in Tampa. He has played just 28 games this year.
    http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/news/...s_nyy&c_id=nyy

We'll miss seeing his handsome face around Yankee Stadium.

Quote Originally Posted by -tz View Post
    Some more details from Cashman's presser, via LoHud:

• Derek Jeter...did 20 ground balls with side-to-side movement.
    Well, that will be something new to see.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

NYYF Legend

$428,571 per start for Youkilis, if he does not suit up again, which is quite plausible.
    Goin for 2<strike>7</strike>8!

NYYF Legend

• Kevin Youkilis had back surgery today. Here’s the statement from the office of Dr. Robert Watkins: “New York Yankees’ third baseman Kevin Youkilis underwent a microscopic lumbar discectomy surgery performed by Dr. Robert Watkins at the Marina Del Rey Hospital in Los Angeles. The surgery went well. The timing of his return to baseball will depend on his progression through the rehabilitation program.”
    http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2013/06/20/pregame-notes-55/

NYYF Cy Young

That's gotta be at least 3 months.
    All the fat guys watch me & say to their wives, 'See, there's a fat guy doing okay. Bring me another beer. Mickey Lolich

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Well, that will be something new to see.
    All the fat guys watch me & say to their wives, 'See, there's a fat guy doing okay. Bring me another beer. Mickey Lolich

NYYF Legend

Jeter's in town:

As I type this, Derek Jeter is on the field, taking batting practice against Tony Pena, and making small talk with Robinson Cano and Jayson Nix. He’s only here for a couple of days, and it’s a sort of vacation.

“I wanted to come up,” he said. “You’ve got to break it up. … If I tell you (rehab) is boring then they’ll just come up with something else for me to do. It’s tedious. It’s difficult. It’s not fun. But I wouldn’t use boring. It’s a long process. I’ve been doing this since pretty much November, December. I’m over it now. It’s just too long. The process has been too long.”

Jeter said he’s doing “pretty much everything” except running outside. He’s taking batting practice and fielding ground balls with side-to-side movement. He said he feels good, the ankle feels strong, and he’s just going through the process.

“Our plan is to get him back as a shortstop, and that’s what he’s working toward,” Joe Girardi said.

It would seem that a broken ankle would rob Jeter’s ability to maintain lower-body strength, but Jeter said that’s not actually an issue.

“I was able to do things,” he said. “There’s exercises you can do without bearing weight. There’s lying on the ground and using one of those big balls. There’s things I’ve been able to do in order to keep the strength, so I don’t think I’m behind in that. … As long as it feels good, I don’t think it really makes a difference. Before I couldn’t play because it didn’t feel good. If I don’t feel anything, then I’m not concerned.”

Jeter said he doesn’t try to find out his schedule ahead of time. He prefers to go through the process day-by-day, so he’s not sure when he’ll start running. He assumes it will be within a few days, “but that’s an assumption,” he said. “So write down ‘assumption.’

“… I feel good. Everything has been going as good as it can go up to this point.”
    http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2013/06/22/pregame-notes-56/

NYYF Cy Young

There's a ribald double entendre somewhere in that interview

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Messerwhitescooter View Post
    There's a ribald double entendre somewhere in that interview
    Just so you don't jump all over that " ... fielding ground balls with side-to-side movement."

NYYF Triple Crown

Two beautiful rural acres in Windham, Maine

Bad news on Teixeira...still pain in his wrist and season ending surgery not off the table. Frankly, I'll be surprised if he takes another swing this season.
    Yankee fan living in Maine.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by apalradio View Post
    Bad news on Teixeira...still pain in his wrist and season ending surgery not off the table. Frankly, I'll be surprised if he takes another swing this season.
    Yeah, I heard that. And I've even got a link:

The Yankees are not receiving encouraging reports on first baseman Mark Teixeira, who continues to feel discomfort in his right wrist and may be inching closer to season-ending surgery.

Yankees general manager Brian Cashman said that Teixeira has seen little improvement since receiving a cortisone injection intended to relieve inflammation in his wrist.

"He's still experiencing soreness," Cashman said in a telephone interview. "All I can tell you is, he has still experienced soreness and our doctors are working through it."

The club estimated that there was a 30-percent chance Teixeira would need surgery after he partially tore the tendon sheath in his wrist in March, a number that remains in play.

"You want someone that's feeling great," Cashman said. "They've never taken surgery off the table. It's always been obviously the worst-case scenario, but I'm not here to tell you anything about that yet."

NYYF Legend

Meanwhile ...

Alex Rodriguez's power stroke is improving, and the Yankees third baseman is moving closer to playing in Minor League rehabilitation games, though the club has not yet definitively set a target date for his debut.

Yankees general manager Brian Cashman has said that Rodriguez, 37, will begin playing with Class A Tampa at some point in July. The club has been saying that Rodriguez is expected to return from left hip surgery after the July 16 All-Star Game.

"We've had no discussions about when his rehab date will start," Yankees general manager Brian Cashman said on Monday. "He's going in the right direction. He's doing everything necessary.

"We're not in a position where anybody has had any conversation with me about getting ready to start his rehab clock. I think he's getting close; closer every day as long as he has no setbacks."

The New York Daily News, citing a person close to Rodriguez, reported on Monday that the three-time American League Most Valuable Player would begin playing for Tampa on July 1. Cashman said that report was inaccurate.

Rodriguez has been working out at the Yankees' complex in Tampa and continued taking at-bats against live pitching on Monday. Rodriguez hit a ball to the base of the center-field fence and another to the warning track in left-center off a Minor League right-hander, according to The Associated Press.

A-Rod also had an extensive baserunning session and performed sliding drills on a mat in the outfield, which represent two key steps for a player about to make the leap into playing live games against professional competition.

Good news on the ARod progress. Hurry back Alex, we could use a clean up hitter.

Also good news on the Teix front. Do the surgery and be done with him. He stinks anyway.
    Whatever you think...
    Well, you're wrong.

NYYF Legend

Yankees announce recommendation for season ending surgery for Tex...
    [QUOTE]
    Joel Sherman@Joelsherman1 1m
    #Yankees announce that surgery was recommended for Teixeira on his damaged wrist. Team needs to find a RH complement to Overbay at minimum

[QUOTE]

Kind of saw that coming, but damn.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

NYYF HOF

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    Kind of saw that coming, but damn.
    Yeah. Now I really want confirmation whether the WBC is on the hook for the salary. What if it's a career ender? End of contract? Projected career earnings if healthy? (I doubt this last--I think the injury indemnity is meant to protect the team, not the player.)
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

Quote Originally Posted by theDurk View Post
    Yeah. Now I really want confirmation whether the WBC is on the hook for the salary. What if it's a career ender? End of contract? Projected career earnings if healthy? (I doubt this last--I think the injury indemnity is meant to protect the team, not the player.)
    There's some discussion on that in the Teixeira performance thread.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by theDurk View Post
    Yankees have the remainder of the contract.

Since Teixeira's injury occurred while he was training for the World Baseball
    Classic
    , his contract was being paid for by the WBC. Despite the reoccurring
    nature of the injury, as soon as they brought him back to play, the Yankees are
    now on the hook for the remainder of his contract. Teixeira had
    said he was ready to play, but Kevin Long mentioned how much pain he was in while hitting, which led
    him to overcompensate and struggle. It's unclear whether or not he felt this way
    during his rehab assignment, but now that the injury has been agitated it needs
    to be fixed.
    http://www.pinstripedbible.com/2013/...money-contract

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    Good news on the ARod progress. Hurry back Alex, we could use a clean up hitter.

Also good news on the Teix front. Do the surgery and be done with him. He stinks anyway.
    ARod was a singles hitter last year. You really think he will add that much to the lineup at this point?

Thread Information