+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 40 FirstFirst ... 10 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 30 ... LastLast
    NYYF Legend

Re: The Longest Injury Update Thread Ever 2013

Couple of updates from the LoHud pregame notes:

Eduardo Nunez said his sore rib cage feels “much better” today, but he’s still not cleared to do so much as tee and toss. He won’t pick up a bat today. Won’t throw a baseball. Won’t play catch.
    • Dave Robertson is going to play catch to determine whether he’s healthy enough to pitch. The expectation — for both Robertson and Girardi — is that he’ll be available.

• Ivan Nova is going to pitch in an extended spring training game tomorrow, which puts him on schedule to start one of the double header games on Monday. Girardi acknowledged that it’s a legitimate possibility that the Yankees will activate Nova to start that day, even after only an extended spring training start. “As long as he feels good and throws the ball well (it’s possible),” Girardi said.
    http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2013/05/07/pregame-notes-29/

NYYF Legend

And more on Nuney:

Yankees shortstop Eduardo Nunez, who left Sunday's 5-4 loss to the A's in the fifth inning due to tightness in his left rib cage, was unavailable to play Tuesday's series opener against the Rockies but said he felt "so much better" after receiving treatment and resting.

However, manager Joe Girardi is not expecting Nunez to be ready to play on Wednesday.

"That might be a little bit early," Girardi said. "He'd have to go through a series of hoops to get out on the field. But the first thing is you've got to make sure he's pain free just doing simple things."

Namely, hitting a ball off a tee and swinging in soft-toss drills.

With 10 players on the disabled list, the Yankees certainly aren't looking to add Nunez to that group. Were Nunez to be placed on the 15-day DL, the move could be made retroactive to Monday, but that determination isn't imminent.

"You kind of go day by day and see," Girardi said. "And if you really feel it's going to be close to 15 days, then I think you make a move. We're on Day 2, so I think it's too early, but we'll see."

Nunez underwent an MRI exam that revealed no structural damage. He said the inflammation in his rib cage -- while diminished -- is still present.
    http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/news/...k_nyy&c_id=nyy

NYYF Legend

Those ribcage and oblique injuries are hard to predict in terms of game readyness. It seems that most of the time, it takes far longer than expected and a lot of care has to be taken not to re-injure it. That usually mean months instead of weeks.
    September 28, 2008 - the day the HOF got a wake-up Moose call.

Donnie Collins@RailRidersTT 7m Sources tell me Curtis Granderson will open a rehab stint with SWB on Thursday night. http://bit.ly/17Mw7pK

Granderson playing RF tonight for Scranton

Quote Originally Posted by Jax Teller View Post
    This pleases me.
    40 pitchers, ever, have an ERA+ of 130 or higher for their career. 15 have 140 or higher. 3 guys have 150 or higher - one is right at 150, the second place guy is at 154, and Mariano Rivera is at 205.

NYYF Legend

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/yan...-ready-not-yet
    -- Joba Chamberlain, on the 15-day DL with an oblique strain, did some light running in the outfield and played catch, leading Girardi to believe he will be ready to go when he is eligible to be reactivated on Monday.

I have a feeling both Joba and Granderson get activated on Monday

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Jax Teller View Post
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

NYYF Legend

Granderson played RF for SWB and went 1 for 3:

http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats...=milb&sid=t531

NYYF Legend

How can two days have gone by without a single post in this thread?

It’s sounding more and more like the disabled list might be a possibility for Eduardo Nunez. At the very least, if Nunez isn’t significantly better tomorrow, the Yankees will need to add an infielder for Monday’s doubleheader.

“I was under the impression that he felt better yesterday, and when they said ‘better’ I felt like he didn’t feel it,” Joe Girardi said. “But he still feels it a little bit. So I was under the wrong impression.”

Nunez did fielding and hitting drills yesterday and hoped to play today, but he told the coaching staff that he still feels a little something in his rib cage. At this point, it’s hard to blame the Yankees for not wanting to take any chances.

“I feel a little something there,” Nunez said. “They shut me down, don’t want it to get worse.”
    http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2013/05/11/pregame-notes-33/

NYYF Legend

From the same link: Update on the Walking Wounded of Tampa:

• In Tampa: Mark Teixeira is hitting on the field, Kevin Youkilis continues to do rotational work, Alex Rodriguez is doing tee work and light jogging, and Derek Jeter is mostly inactive. “I think he’s riding a bike, but that’s about it,” Girardi said. “He’s going to see the doctor pretty soon again, but we have no timetable when he’ll be back.”

NYYF Legend

And a few more details on the above, plus Granderson:

• Curtis Granderson was scheduled to DH on Saturday for Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, one night after he played eight innings in the outfield and went 1-for-5 with a two-run homer. Granderson is 2-for-8 in two games at Triple-A, playing left field and right field. Granderson broke his right forearm when he was hit by a pitch in the first game of Spring Training.

"He's getting at-bats under his belt," Girardi said. "I know he's feeling better, but I don't want to put a date on [his return]. I know everyone wants a date, but the date is for me when he says he's ready."

• Yankees third baseman Kevin Youkilis "felt good doing his rotational exercises" on Saturday in Tampa, Fla., according to Girardi. First baseman Mark Teixeira also took BP on the field and felt good, while right-hander Ivan Nova had no issues throwing a bullpen. Third baseman Alex Rodriguez is hitting off a tee and doing light jogging.
    http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/news/...k_nyy&c_id=nyy

First Name: Keninovich hardrain's Avatar

Nunez was finally DLd,..per LOHUD. Alberto Gonzalez called up. It is about time. The Yankee tendency to DL a guy a week or so after he's been hurt is curious at best.
    We toast to the old days and DiMaggio too,
    Billy Martin and Mantle, Whitey Ford and to you

NYYF Legend

^ I was about to post that. Here is the quote, and the link:

The Yankees are placing Eduardo Nunez on the 15-day disabled list and promoting Alberto Gonzalez from Triple-A.

Mark Teixeira is going on the 60-day disabled list to make room on the 40-man.
    http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2013/05/1...lez-called-up/

First Name: Keninovich hardrain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by -tz View Post
    ^ I was about to post that. Here is the quote, and the link:

http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2013/05/1...lez-called-up/
    I suppose Alberto is only here until the 15th when Adams comes up. Either that or they keep Gonzalez as a more all-purpose infielder and DFA Nelson.

With Nunez out SS could be manned by Nix and Gonzalez sharing time.
    We toast to the old days and DiMaggio too,
    Billy Martin and Mantle, Whitey Ford and to you

Quote Originally Posted by hardrain View Post
    I suppose Alberto is only here until the 15th when Adams comes up. Either that or they keep Gonzalez as a more all-purpose infielder and DFA Nelson.

With Nunez out SS could be manned by Nix and Gonzalez sharing time.
    I think the Nelson scenario is most likely, since Adams can't play short.

NYYF Legend

So we trade for Nelson only to DFA him a week later? This carousel is getting ridonkolous.

NYYF Legend

Meat Tray sighting yet??

http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2013/05/1...a-nova-update/
    Joe Girardi acknowledged tonight that it’s entirely possible the Yankees will activate Curtis Granderson for tomorrow’s game. Granderson is going to play another Triple-A rehab game, and then he’ll make the final call.
    Turns out, Ivan Nova’s latest setback wasn’t in his side. He felt some discomfort in his upper back. away from the spin and closer to the shoulder (but, apparently, not in the actual shoulder). The setback doesn’t seem serious, in fact, Girardi said Nova could pitch in another minor league game soon. The discomfort was on the left side of Nova’s back.

Crow,Tony,Joe,Yogi,Riz,2 Joes Tifoso's Avatar

Fantastic news about Grandy!
    -Lou 27 (28 in 2015)
    Totus Tuus

Didn't Pineda throw a simulated game yesterday? I'm surprised there's no news on him.

NYYF Legend

I wish my hunch about Nunez was wrong, but with the way guys are landing on the DL, it doesn't surprise me. Well, at least we get the Grandyman back.
    September 28, 2008 - the day the HOF got a wake-up Moose call.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by 1936-1939JoeNLou View Post
    Didn't Pineda throw a simulated game yesterday? I'm surprised there's no news on him.
    I believe it was mentioned on YES during the game or in the postgame show. They said he was topping out at 94-95, if I recall right.

Quote Originally Posted by -tz View Post
    I believe it was mentioned on YES during the game or in the postgame show. They said he was topping out at 94-95, if I recall right.
    Oh nice, thank you. Is he going to start pitching in actual games?

Thread Information