+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: Countdown to Spring Training

I wonder what A-rod will have to say in Spring Training. He may not even be there.
    All minor league game box scores I post come from here:

http://riveraveblues.com/minors/down-on-the-farm/

NYYF Triple Crown

Jimmy G. (Seniority 03/28/1994)
    1994-2008: Main Res MVP Sec. 14, Row G
    2009: Section 330, Row 6
    2010: Section 233A, Row 20
    2011: Section 229, Row 16 *All Sunday Plans*
    2012: No longer STH, liberated!

Quote Originally Posted by -tz View Post
    Fun fact about Fred "Chicken" Stanley:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_St...%28baseball%29
    Oddly, in his final ML season he had a puny .193/.287/.250 slash line, but still managed to equal career highs in both doubles and HR.
    “Everything looks nicer when you win. The girls are prettier, the cigars taste better. The trees are greener.”—Billy Martin

NYYF Triple Crown

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by Gusto View Post
    Oddly, in his final ML season he had a puny .193/.287/.250 slash line, but still managed to equal career highs in both doubles and HR.
    He really did epitomize the era of the hitless wonders. Good times.
    All the fat guys watch me & say to their wives, 'See, there's a fat guy doing okay. Bring me another beer. Mickey Lolich

Quote Originally Posted by StingrayJG View Post

Two number 8's
    “Everything looks nicer when you win. The girls are prettier, the cigars taste better. The trees are greener.”—Billy Martin

NYYF Cy Young

Old Reliable with a game saving strikeout in the '41 WS

NYYF Triple Crown

The single digits in these countdowns are always fun to see....

Mick saving Larsen's prefecto

NYYF Triple Crown

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by TrueYankee01 View Post
    I wonder what A-rod will have to say in Spring Training. He may not even be there.

A Rod is in rehab. He can't play until at least after the all star game. There is no reason for him to be in ST and millions of reasons to avoid it like the plague. If he shows up at ST the media and paparazzi will bake a three ring circus of the event till they drive him away. It'll be an enormous distraction and one that ARod will avoid with a passion

Andy
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

Addicted Member

Red Rolfe:

Tony Lazzeri with the Babe:

Edit: Kind of an odd picture. It appears a play is coming to an end by the way everyone is looking out onto the field. The pitcher is returning from backing up home. Ruth is scoring but hasn't yet touched the plate. What's odd, is the on deck hitter (Lazzeri) is standing right next to the plate umpire while the play is still going on.

Good to the last drop CoyoteYankee's Avatar

Oh boy --- I can't believe how soon pitchers and catchers will be reporting. I'm getting giddy!
    2014 - New Team, New Result

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap.

NYYF Cy Young

Mick saving Larsen's prefecto
    what a great set of photos
    All the fat guys watch me & say to their wives, 'See, there's a fat guy doing okay. Bring me another beer. Mickey Lolich

more days

NYYF Triple Crown

NYYF Legend

Tony Lazzeri with the Babe:

Edit: Kind of an odd picture. It appears a play is coming to an end by the way everyone is looking out onto the field. The pitcher is returning from backing up home. Ruth is scoring but hasn't yet touched the plate. What's odd, is the on deck hitter (Lazzeri) is standing right next to the plate umpire while the play is still going on.
    That was when young Muggs decided to strip down and run around the outfield.
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

NYYF Legend

This is my favorite time of the year. I have in my hand the classic movie that I intend to put on my DVD player in an hour, "Where the Boys Are". For those of you not familiar with it; it was made in 1960 and centers around a college spring break in Ft Lauderdale; starring Delores Hart, Yvette Mimieux, George Hamilton, Connie Francis, Jim Hutton Paula Prentis and Barbara Nichols.

I have been playing it every spring for the last 30 years or so ago.
    My family and I first went to Spring Training around 1970 when the Yanks trained in Ft Lauderdale. At the time my wife's brother lived a few miles away in Pomano Beach and we used the vacation to see him and the Yankees.

The Yanks trained in Ft Lauderdale tll 1996 and we must have been to at least 15 ST's in Lauderdale.

Later when the Yanks moved to Tampa in 1996, we started to go there for ST. This year marks the Yanks 18th year in Tampa and we must have been there for at least 10-12 of them.

This year we have tickets to nine games; four home and three away games for the Yankees, which include a home and away with the Phillies and two Phillies games, a home and an away game with the Braves).

The MOvie reminds me so much of those long ago ST's.

I vividly remember when I was a kid and I ran home after school to catch the Yankees ST games on radio. They usually started around 3 PM back then. I remember in 1950 when Mickey Mantle came into camp for the first time and all the talk was of this phenom. Of course he was a SS at the time and you better not have a seat around 1B. He made 50 SS errors in 1950 mostly throwing errors.

Anyway Phil didn't see his shadow. Spring will be here soon and so will be baseball.

Andy
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

NYYF Triple Crown

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nome View Post
    This is my favorite time of the year. I have in my hand the classic movie that I intend to put on my DVD player in an hour, "Where the Boys Are". For those of you not familiar with it; it was made in 1960 and centers around a college spring break in Ft Lauderdale; starring Delores Hart, Yvette Mimieux, George Hamilton, Connie Francis, Jim Hutton Paula Prentis and Barbara Nichols.

I have been playing it every spring for the last 30 years or so ago.
    My family and I first went to Spring Training around 1970 when the Yanks trained in Ft Lauderdale. At the time my wife's brother lived a few miles away in Pomano Beach and we used the vacation to see him and the Yankees.

The Yanks trained in Ft Lauderdale tll 1996 and we must have been to at least 15 ST's in Lauderdale.

Later when the Yanks moved to Tampa in 1996, we started to go there for ST. This year marks the Yanks 18th year in Tampa and we must have been there for at least 10-12 of them.

This year we have tickets to nine games; four home and three away games for the Yankees, which include a home and away with the Phillies and two Phillies games, a home and an away game with the Braves).

The MOvie reminds me so much of those long ago ST's.

I vividly remember when I was a kid and I ran home after school to catch the Yankees ST games on radio. They usually started around 3 PM back then. I remember in 1950 when Mickey Mantle came into camp for the first time and all the talk was of this phenom. Of course he was a SS at the time and you better not have a seat around 1B. He made 50 SS errors in 1950 mostly throwing errors.

Anyway Phil didn't see his shadow. Spring will be here soon and so will be baseball.

Andy
    Good story and I liked the Connie Francis movies.

How about this for a Spring Training movie with the M&M Boys?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEAi_SxsuzE

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by LongtimeNYYFan View Post
    Good story and I liked the Connie Francis movies.

How about this for a Spring Training movie with the M&M Boys?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEAi_SxsuzE

It is a great relaxing nonsensical movie. I have had a copy in VHS at home for years. I'll have to put it on later this afternoon. With all this snow that's expected, it's a good time to sit with a warm drink and watch some old movies (if the power doesn't go out).

Andy

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nome View Post
    It is a great relaxing nonsensical movie. I have had a copy in VHS at home for years. I'll have to put it on later this afternoon. With all this snow that's expected, it's a good time to sit with a warm drink and watch some old movies (if the power doesn't go out).

Andy
    One comment I read compared "Safe at Home" to an feature length episode of "Leave It To Beaver".

NYYF Triple Crown

Thread Information