+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
Results 176 to 200 of 336
  1. #176
    The gerbil lives Zimmers' Helmet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    On the bench

    Re: Are the Yankees planning to operate like a small market team?

    Quote Originally Posted by snapple View Post
    Youkilis will give better production than Chavez+Martin. I can all but guarantee that.
    I can all but guarantee that you're wrong.
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

  2. #177
    Tends to be difficult JL25and3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006

    Re: Are the Yankees planning to operate like a small market team?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jax Teller View Post
    Chavez said that he wanted to play closer to home & that's why he signed with Arizona. That goes double for Berkman, he wanted to be closer to his children & his ranch. Sometimes, money isn't all that it takes to get a player. I'm fine with Martin walking considering he was a complete blackhole for the whole 2012 season (outside of one month). I wouldn't have hated him being re-signed, but he's not someone to rampage over not re-signing either.

    Youk is only for one year and there is David Adams & Corban Joseph waiting in the wings.

    For the first time in all the years in me being a Yankee fan, it feels like they do have a plan for once, and that is to not just spend a sh*t ton (in money &/or years in a contract) like it's a video game to fix a current problem. I love this approach & hope it's not just a one or two year thing.

    I'm more looking forward to this season because there are question marks and I want to see what happens. There is no "given" that the Yanks will go all the way this year, and that makes the season more fun for me.
    "Not spending money" isn't a plan. Neither is leaving lots of positions unfilled - or inadequately filled - so as to pique your interest.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

  3. #178

    Re: Are the Yankees planning to operate like a small market team?

    Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    "Not spending money" isn't a plan. Neither is leaving lots of positions unfilled - or inadequately filled - so as to pique your interest.
    "Lots" of positions?

    Starting Catcher is the only position inadequately filled right now. To my original question, who was out there (or is still out there) that absolutely HAD to be acquired?

    Not overspending on mediocre free agents since there are good prospects in the upper levels of the minors is indeed, a plan. That's my point. It's not just about this year.

  4. #179
    Tends to be difficult JL25and3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006

    Re: Are the Yankees planning to operate like a small market team?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jax Teller View Post
    "Lots" of positions?

    Starting Catcher is the only position inadequately filled right now. To my original question, who was out there (or is still out there) that absolutely HAD to be acquired?

    Not overspending on mediocre free agents since there are good prospects in the upper levels of the minors is indeed, a plan. That's my point. It's not just about this year.
    I think 3B and RF are question marks, and they don't have a DH.

    But you're right, it's not just about this year. In a year there will be questions at C, 2b, RF, LF, closer, and at least three rotation spots. And the 3b and SS won't last forever.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

  5. #180

    Re: Are the Yankees planning to operate like a small market team?

    Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    I think 3B and RF are question marks, and they don't have a DH.

    But you're right, it's not just about this year. In a year there will be questions at C, 2b, RF, LF, closer, and at least three rotation spots. And the 3b and SS won't last forever.
    Who else would you have preferred to fill 3B & RF? I don't like Ichiro at his price but I prefer him to Swish & his contract.

    It's a good thing that it's only January '13 then. A whole lot can happen between now & when it's time to think about how to fill those positions for the 2014 season.

  6. #181

    Re: Are the Yankees planning to operate like a small market team?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jax Teller View Post
    Who else would you have preferred to fill 3B & RF? I don't like Ichiro at his price but I prefer him to Swish & his contract.

    It's a good thing that it's only January '13 then. A whole lot can happen between now & when it's time to think about how to fill those positions for the 2014 season.
    We hear a lot " well last year @ this time we still needed... and Cashman filled the spots "

    The difference is that last year we weren't operating under the $$$ restrictions that we are now. We're already close to maxed out. ANd we've already passed on several opportunities that could have been productive and cost effective- ie Darvish and Cespedes
    MICRO PASSIVE/MICRO AGRESSIVE

  7. #182
    Tends to be difficult JL25and3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006

    Re: Are the Yankees planning to operate like a small market team?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jax Teller View Post
    Who else would you have preferred to fill 3B & RF? I don't like Ichiro at his price but I prefer him to Swish & his contract.

    It's a good thing that it's only January '13 then. A whole lot can happen between now & when it's time to think about how to fill those positions for the 2014 season.
    I don't have great answers to your first question, though I probably would have preferred Swish. I still don't see anything that looks like a plan (as opposed to acceptance of the default), and "a lot can happen" isn't really a plan, either.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

  8. #183

    Re: Are the Yankees planning to operate like a small market team?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jax Teller View Post
    I would prefer to trade Cano as well, assuming that the alternative is an albatross of a contract.

    Plus, Joseph's power/patience combo is really intriguing. His lefty swing in WB Mason Pinball Park will only benefit him and the team.

    A #3 starter in MLB is extremely valuable as well as expensive. I don't think he HAS to be kept but he shouldn't just be thrown away either. I'm just saying that he's got value.
    a decision i'm glad i wouldn't have to make, if they do it better be sooner than later, or else this whole payroll mandate was a huge waste of time

  9. #184
    NYYF Triple Crown

    apalradio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Two beautiful rural acres in Windham, Maine

    Re: Are the Yankees planning to operate like a small market team?

    http://itsaboutthemoney.net/archives...-could-be-set/

    He's gotta be kidding. If he is, no other GM worth his salt is buying this for a second. If he's not, we're in worse shape than I thought. At the very least, the contrast between The Boss' old rhetoric and Cashman's new rhetoric is as depressing as it is stark.
    Yankee fan living in Maine.

  10. #185
    NYYF Cy Young


    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    New York City

    Re: Are the Yankees planning to operate like a small market team?

    Well, according to Lohud they just signed an outfielder named Neal who Cleveland DFAd when they signed Swisher, so it looks like whoever does get signed at this point won't change things for the better.

  11. #186

    Re: Are the Yankees planning to operate like a small market team?

    $50 Legends Suite tix. Yay!


  12. #187

    Re: Are the Yankees planning to operate like a small market team?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nome View Post
    ...

    I am a Cashman supporter and consider him almost brilliant

    Andy
    Under the old dispensation of the Yankees, this view is much more justified than under the new "austerity order." Under that latter order, we need a lot more evidence--a couple of seasons, probably--before we can determine what kind of success Cashman enjoys as a GM.

  13. #188
    Released Outright
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Equestria

    Re: Are the Yankees planning to operate like a small market team?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bauer View Post
    Under the old dispensation of the Yankees, this view is much more justified than under the new "austerity order." Under that latter order, we need a lot more evidence--a couple of seasons, probably--before we can determine what kind of success Cashman enjoys as a GM.
    Dude's been GM for how many years now? During that time we've like missed the playoffs once, yeah? I'd say it's pretty clear what kind of success Cashman enjoys as a GM. He's one of the best in the game without a single doubt.

  14. #189
    The gerbil lives Zimmers' Helmet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    On the bench

    Re: Are the Yankees planning to operate like a small market team?

    Quote Originally Posted by d32123 View Post
    Dude's been GM for how many years now? During that time we've like missed the playoffs once, yeah? I'd say it's pretty clear what kind of success Cashman enjoys as a GM. He's one of the best in the game without a single doubt.
    Let's see if he can sustain that success with a strictly enforced limit on payroll.
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

  15. #190
    Released Outright
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Equestria

    Re: Are the Yankees planning to operate like a small market team?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zimmers' Helmet View Post
    Let's see if he can sustain that success with a strictly enforced limit on payroll.
    If they miss the playoffs, I'll blame Girardi. Cashman can do no wrong in my mind.

  16. #191
    NYYF MVP

    The Comic Book Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA

    Re: Are the Yankees planning to operate like a small market team?

    Quote Originally Posted by ZIM 2002 View Post
    Well, according to Lohud they just signed an outfielder named Neal who Cleveland DFAd when they signed Swisher, so it looks like whoever does get signed at this point won't change things for the better.
    Neal's kind of interesting. Huge year in Advanced-A San Jose in 2009 in a terrible hitting environment. Came back to earth in the EL in 2010, but Richmond's not a great place to hit either. But he's been decidedly 'meh' in AAA. Still, he'll probably get his chance on the ML roster at some point in 2013.

  17. #192
    Hello dum-dum... effdamets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Now in Section 312

    Re: Are the Yankees planning to operate like a small market team?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zimmers' Helmet View Post
    Let's see if he can sustain that success with a strictly enforced limit on payroll.
    Zim.... Limit on payroll? 189 million?
    The reason why Cashman's hands are tied right now is because he is trying to fix the mistakes that ownership made in years gone by.

    And it remains to be seen how the front office will adhere to this 'limited' payroll iof the Yankees start losing and attendence drops.
    “Begin each day as if it were on purpose........”—Alex Hitchens

  18. #193
    NYYF Legend

    GordonGecko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New York City

    Re: Are the Yankees planning to operate like a small market team?

    To properly answer the question, we have to look at the definition of how a small market team "operates":
    • Has hard fixed budget and will sacrifice team potential to meet it (CHECK)
    • Gets outbid for free agents no matter how mediocre (CHECK)
    • Fails to retain key players who get more elsewhere (CHECK)
    • Searches in the bargain bin to fill critical needs (you decide)

    I guess you could find some other criteria but generally the Yankees this year and next are and will indeed be acting like a small market team. Has nothing to do with the revenue and current payroll of legacy costs and everything to do with how player decisions are made and under what motivation (to stay under budget)

  19. #194

    Re: Are the Yankees planning to operate like a small market team?

    Quote Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
    To properly answer the question, we have to look at the definition of how a small market team "operates":
    • Has hard fixed budget and will sacrifice team potential to meet it (CHECK)
    • Gets outbid for free agents no matter how mediocre (CHECK)
    • Fails to retain key players who get more elsewhere (CHECK)
    • Searches in the bargain bin to fill critical needs (you decide)

    I guess you could find some other criteria but generally the Yankees this year and next are and will indeed be acting like a small market team. Has nothing to do with the revenue and current payroll of legacy costs and everything to do with how player decisions are made and under what motivation (to stay under budget)
    what the hell did I just read?
    EvilEmpireDC: Fans bitch about anything lol

  20. #195
    Hello dum-dum... effdamets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Now in Section 312

    Re: Are the Yankees planning to operate like a small market team?

    Quote Originally Posted by snapple View Post
    what the hell did I just read?
    Oh - my eyes!!!!

    “Begin each day as if it were on purpose........”—Alex Hitchens

  21. #196
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Above Balducci's

    Re: Are the Yankees planning to operate like a small market team?

    Quote Originally Posted by effdamets View Post
    Zim.... Limit on payroll? 189 million?
    The reason why Cashman's hands are tied right now is because he is trying to fix the mistakes that ownership made in years gone by.

    And it remains to be seen how the front office will adhere to this 'limited' payroll iof the Yankees start losing and attendence drops.
    A third baseman who is set to make 28 million this year and won't take the field till all star break....

    Yeah, I'd say tied and cement shoes.
    "Well guess what? He's dead. You just signed a dead guy." --pleasepassthesoup

  22. #197
    Don't call it a comeback False1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Arizona

    Re: Are the Yankees planning to operate like a small market team?

    Quote Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
    To properly answer the question, we have to look at the definition of how a small market team "operates":
    • Has hard fixed budget and will sacrifice team potential to meet it (CHECK)
    • Gets outbid for free agents no matter how mediocre (CHECK)
    • Fails to retain key players who get more elsewhere (CHECK)
    • Searches in the bargain bin to fill critical needs (you decide)

    I guess you could find some other criteria but generally the Yankees this year and next are and will indeed be acting like a small market team. Has nothing to do with the revenue and current payroll of legacy costs and everything to do with how player decisions are made and under what motivation (to stay under budget)
    Talk about creating your own narrative.

  23. #198
    NYYF Legend

    Saxmania's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Where the time comes from

    Re: Are the Yankees planning to operate like a small market team?

    Quote Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
    I guess you could find some other criteria but generally the Yankees this year and next are and will indeed be acting like a small market team. Has nothing to do with the revenue and current payroll of legacy costs and everything to do with how player decisions are made and under what motivation (to stay under budget)
    I don't understand how acting like a small market team can be considered consistent with having a league-leading payroll. To demonstrate that this is not incompatible, would you be able to supply the names of other historic small-market teams with payrolls that led (or nearly led) the league in the modern era?

    Be seeing you,

    Saxmania
    Mayonnaise is a demanding master.

  24. #199
    NYYF Legend

    GordonGecko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New York City

    Re: Are the Yankees planning to operate like a small market team?

    Quote Originally Posted by Saxmania View Post
    I don't understand how acting like a small market team can be considered consistent with having a league-leading payroll. To demonstrate that this is not incompatible, would you be able to supply the names of other historic small-market teams with payrolls that led (or nearly led) the league in the modern era?
    The current payroll is completely irrelevant, the Yankees are not going out there and growing the payroll by close to 200 million. They're not even growing the payroll at all, as the Dodgers, Angels, or Nationals are. The question of the thread is are the Yankees "planning" to operate like a small market team, not have the Yankees "been" acting like a small market team.

    Working under a growth budget of zero is the hallmark of operating like a small market team. The Yankees have the money, Hal just isn't spending it. Instead he's pocketing the true value of the TV rights (some 300-400% higher) by selling lowball contracts to his own YES network whereas the Dodgers & Angels are getting market rates and spending that money to improve the team

    You may feel that the Yankees should be developing from within and not issuing fat overcompensating contracts, which is fair enough. But it doesn't change the notion that the Yankees are now operating like a small market team, at least until through the 2014 season.

  25. #200

    Re: Are the Yankees planning to operate like a small market team?

    Now we're getting quality.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts