+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Re: Are the Yankees planning to operate like a small market team?

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post
    BTW - I want to throw a bit of an untamed, derriere name into the mix for the RH OF/DH position.

David Adams has shown decent skills both at AA and in the AFL this season. The Yankees thought enough of his athleticism to send him to the AFL to move to 3B as a possible replacement down the road for ARod.

What about putting him in LF in spring training and see how he handles a corner OF slot? He is a middle IFer (2Bman) and there is a long history of middle IFers moving to the OF (Robin Yount and Craig Biggio both immediately come to mind. In the Yankee system, Mickey Mantle, Tom Tresh and Roy White all were middle IFers in the minors. The Yankees also did this with Alphonso Soriano to find him a place in the lineup before the infamous Knoblach lockup occurred.

I see nothing to lose by putting Adams into the OF in spring training to see what happens.

Of course, this idea could be nothing more than the pursuit of an untamed ornithoid.
    I don't think that is necessary. While it would be interesting, there is more of a need at third base instead of the outfield. I'd prefer that they have Adams focus on learning third base. By the end of next year, the Yankees will have Heathcott, Williams, Flores, Austin, Mesa, Abe Almonte in the upper levels playing OF. Mesa & Abe are long shots but have enough upside that they need to keep playing.

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Quote Originally Posted by Jax Teller View Post
    Yes. Enough value to get Justin Upton? No. But there is value in that package to get a quality ML player in return. Adams, Phelps, & Joseph are underrated by this board.
    Jax -

Not by this poster.

I have advocated the idea of trading Cano now, since I am convinced that he will be leaving after the season through free agency - I believe we would get much greater value for him through trade than a compensatory pick. I think Joseph could give us respectable production from 2B - it won't be Cano type production, but his .840 OPS at AAA last season is nothing to sneeze at.

Phelps is, IMO, probably no better than a #3 starter for the Yankees, but he could be a front of the line rotation member for many teams.

Adams is actually a player I would prefer to keep, as I think he will develop into a solid ML player.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

Jax -

Not by this poster.

I have advocated the idea of trading Cano now, since I am convinced that he will be leaving after the season through free agency - I believe we would get much greater value for him through trade than a compensatory pick. I think Joseph could give us respectable production from 2B - it won't be Cano type production, but his .840 OPS at AAA last season is nothing to sneeze at.

Phelps is, IMO, probably no better than a #3 starter for the Yankees, but he could be a front of the line rotation member for many teams.

Adams is actually a player I would prefer to keep, as I think he will develop into a solid ML player.
    I would prefer to trade Cano as well, assuming that the alternative is an albatross of a contract.

Plus, Joseph's power/patience combo is really intriguing. His lefty swing in WB Mason Pinball Park will only benefit him and the team.

A #3 starter in MLB is extremely valuable as well as expensive. I don't think he HAS to be kept but he shouldn't just be thrown away either. I'm just saying that he's got value.

NYYF Legend

I would prefer to trade Cano as well, assuming that the alternative is an albatross of a contract.

Plus, Joseph's power/patience combo is really intriguing. His lefty swing in WB Mason Pinball Park will only benefit him and the team.

A #3 starter in MLB is extremely valuable as well as expensive. I don't think he HAS to be kept but he shouldn't just be thrown away either. I'm just saying that he's got value.

On this fact, we agree.

What if Cano doesn't want a monster contract from the Yankees?
    Thank you for making me calm today, Brett Gardner

Quote Originally Posted by snapple View Post
    Considering he hired Boras & said that he will not give the Yankees a hometown discount, it's fair to assume that is exactly what he is gunning for.

NYYF Legend

not_sure_if_serious_8.jpg
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

NYYF Triple Crown

Two beautiful rural acres in Windham, Maine

It's probably safe to assume he does. And given the team's new mantra of fiscal restraint, they will not be able to afford him.
    Yankee fan living in Maine.

NYYF Legend

i've already conceded that cano will be in dodger blue next season, and we'll have to sort through one of david adams, corban joseph, or eduardo nunez to pick up the slack at 2B
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by flymick24 View Post
    i've already conceded that cano will be in dodger blue next season, and we'll have to sort through one of david adams, corban joseph, or eduardo nunez to pick up the slack at 2B
    If we are going to concede that Cano will be in another uniform next season, then trading him now makes more sense. Multiple prospects >>> one compensatory pick.

NYYF Triple Crown

Considering he hired Boras & said that he will not give the Yankees a hometown discount, it's fair to assume that is exactly what he is gunning for.
    This.

If we are going to concede that Cano will be in another uniform next season, then trading him now makes more sense. Multiple prospects >>> one compensatory pick.
    God, I hope so.

Addicted Member

The Yankees are going to sign Cano after the season.

EDIT: To elaborate further, Granderson's and Kuroda's 15 mil each comes off the books. Pettite and Youkilis 12 each. They'll fill other holes with guys coming up or cheaper free agents. The payroll goal isn't too difficult to manage with Cano making 5 million more a year.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by DaBliz View Post
    The Yankees are going to sign Cano after the season.

EDIT: To elaborate further, Granderson's and Kuroda's 15 mil each comes off the books. Pettite and Youkilis 12 each. They'll fill other holes with guys coming up or cheaper free agents. The payroll goal isn't too difficult to manage with Cano making 5 million more a year.
    they're gonna have tons of holes to fill, and that'll cost lots of dough... it's not as simplistic as you make it out to be
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

Forum Regular

Quote Originally Posted by flymick24 View Post
    they're gonna have tons of holes to fill, and that'll cost lots of dough... it's not as simplistic as you make it out to be
    Surprised you let that go by

speaking of holes to fill, cano is a pretty big cog
    always reasonable

Released Outright

Quote Originally Posted by awy View Post
    speaking of holes to fill, cano is a pretty big cog
    Doesn't mean we necessarily have to suck it up and offer him some insane deal.
    There are plenty of other dudes out there who can fill our holes in a satisfactory way.

okay that is too far!
    always reasonable

NYYF Legend

It seems to me much more likely that the Yankees are planning to operate like a big market team, rather than the big market team. Reining in their payroll to nearer the chasing pack (rather than at $20-$30m beyond, as they often have been over the last decade) may be a calculated move to avoid the imposition of stronger luxury tax/payroll cap measures in future CBAs. The Dodgers look to be making that an easier road to travel, too.

I wouldn't be too sorry to see that. While I don't see anything intrinsically wrong with spending more than your competitors, as a subscriber to the 'playoffs are a crapshoot' school of thought, it's easier to watch a contending team with hope that they'll win rather than expectation that they ought to win, given how much they cost.

Be seeing you,

Saxmania
    Mayonnaise is a demanding master.

Quote Originally Posted by Saxmania View Post
    It seems to me much more likely that the Yankees are planning to operate like a big market team, rather than the big market team. Reining in their payroll to nearer the chasing pack (rather than at $20-$30m beyond, as they often have been over the last decade) may be a calculated move to avoid the imposition of stronger luxury tax/payroll cap measures in future CBAs. The Dodgers look to be making that an easier road to travel, too.

I wouldn't be too sorry to see that. While I don't see anything intrinsically wrong with spending more than your competitors, as a subscriber to the 'playoffs are a crapshoot' school of thought, it's easier to watch a contending team with hope that they'll win rather than expectation that they ought to win, given how much they cost.

Be seeing you,

Saxmania
    Agreed, word for word.

Released Outright

Quote Originally Posted by awy View Post
    okay that is too far!
    Sorry, got a bit too exicted.

The gerbil lives Zimmers' Helmet's Avatar

If this winter is a sign of things to come, I certainly hope the Steinbrenner family strongly considers selling the team.

I'm all for fiscal responsibility, but this is like going on a starvation diet.
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

Who out there was/is an absolute "must have" that they should break the bank on?

If people want Upton, fine. I don't because there are good high end OF prospects that could be in the Bronx by next year (maybe this year if Austin continues to crush it). I personally don't view Upton as a "must have", especially when you consider the cost for him.

For the most part, the FA list consisted of mediocre players that ended up receiving bigger contracts then they deserve &/or left their teams to play close to home.

The gerbil lives Zimmers' Helmet's Avatar

Who out there was/is an absolute "must have" that they should break the bank on?

If people want Upton, fine. I don't because there are good high end OF prospects that could be in the Bronx by next year (maybe this year if Austin continues to crush it). I personally don't view Upton as a "must have", especially when you consider the cost for him.

For the most part, the FA list consisted of mediocre players that ended up receiving bigger contracts then they deserve &/or left their teams to play close to home.
    That's the problem - they didn't have to "break the bank" to retain players like Martin and Chavez, but chose to let them walk without viable options to replace them. Meanwhile, they were willing to pay Youkilis more than it would have cost to retain them.

This team is being run like an organization without a well thought out strategy.
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

Youkilis will give better production than Chavez+Martin. I can all but guarantee that.
    Thank you for making me calm today, Brett Gardner

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmers' Helmet View Post
    That's the problem - they didn't have to "break the bank" to retain players like Martin and Chavez, but chose to let them walk without viable options to replace them. Meanwhile, they were willing to pay Youkilis more than it would have cost to retain them.

This team is being run like an organization without a well thought out strategy.
    Chavez said that he wanted to play closer to home & that's why he signed with Arizona. That goes double for Berkman, he wanted to be closer to his children & his ranch. Sometimes, money isn't all that it takes to get a player. I'm fine with Martin walking considering he was a complete blackhole for the whole 2012 season (outside of one month). I wouldn't have hated him being re-signed, but he's not someone to rampage over not re-signing either.

Youk is only for one year and there is David Adams & Corban Joseph waiting in the wings.

For the first time in all the years in me being a Yankee fan, it feels like they do have a plan for once, and that is to not just spend a sh*t ton (in money &/or years in a contract) like it's a video game to fix a current problem. I love this approach & hope it's not just a one or two year thing.

I'm more looking forward to this season because there are question marks and I want to see what happens. There is no "given" that the Yanks will go all the way this year, and that makes the season more fun for me.

Thread Information