+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    NYYF Legend

Re: Are the Yankees planning to operate like a small market team?

I hate to say it but I find it hard to believe that NY will be competitive this year unless they can stay away from serious injuries to their key players and get career years from some of their other players like Hughes and Nova. I think they need to improve their farm system .....it is obvious to me and many other Yankee fans that aging players on this team will possibly hurt them over the next few years.

What do you mean by not being "competitive?" Do you mean that they will not be able to "compete" at an average MLB level? That they will be out of the playoff running by the All Star break? Or do you mean that you think it is unlikely that they will win 28 this year?

If the latter, so what? To make this year fun, it does not have to be likely, just plausible, and it is plausible if they are in it by the time Alex comes back.

It is always good to improve your farm system, however. I can't disagree with that being a goal.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by rajah View Post
    What do you mean by not being "competitive?" Do you mean that they will not be able to "compete" at an average MLB level? That they will be out of the playoff running by the All Star break? Or do you mean that you think it is unlikely that they will win 28 this year?

If the latter, so what? To make this year fun, it does not have to be likely, just plausible, and it is plausible if they are in it by the time Alex comes back.

It is always good to improve your farm system, however. I can't disagree with that being a goal.
    I see them struggling in the AL East with Toronto, Tampa, and possibly Baltimore giving them a hard time.....and don't forget Boston who loves to give the yanks a hard time.

What do you mean by "struggling?" Isn't competition suppossed to be a struggle?

I would bet even money on the Yankees making the playoffs next year. It is certainly not a sure thing, but I think it is at least fifty-fifty. If you want more than fifty-fifty, then you are demanding more than that they be competitive.

I think the Yankees on paper look like the best or at least the second best team (to Toronto) in the AL East. As you first suggested, they need to have some better luck with injuries than they had in 2012, but that is true for all the other teams as well. The team's comparative position on paper has declined, but it is still good.

Richmond Virginians

Some backtracking from the $189 Million goal??

http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/baseba...#axzz2Hcfxb2FH

Quote Originally Posted by rajah View Post
    What do you mean by "struggling?" Isn't competition suppossed to be a struggle?

I would bet even money on the Yankees making the playoffs next year. It is certainly not a sure thing, but I think it is at least fifty-fifty. If you want more than fifty-fifty, then you are demanding more than that they be competitive.

I think the Yankees on paper look like the best or at least the second best team (to Toronto) in the AL East. As you first suggested, they need to have some better luck with injuries than they had in 2012, but that is true for all the other teams as well. The team's comparative position on paper has declined, but it is still good.
    My projection remains:

Yanks
    Rays
    Jays
    Orioles
    Red Sox

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    My projection remains:

Yanks
    Rays
    Jays
    Orioles
    Red Sox
    For whatever reason, I agree. And before anybody thinks I'm being a homer, put me down for the AL East champion Yankees getting bounced out on their asses by the first opponent they play from the Central or West.

Of course, that's why they play the games and I hope they overachieve.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

NYYF Legend

it's funny how hal views an overpay for kevin youkilis as a significant addition to the team
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

The gerbil lives Zimmers' Helmet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by flymick24 View Post
    it's funny how hal views an overpay for kevin youkilis as a significant addition to the team
    I know, right? Seems Hal hasn't seen Youkilis play since 2009.

Either way, I get the sense that there's a widening chasm developing between Hal/Levine and Cashman.
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmers' Helmet View Post
    I know, right? Seems Hal hasn't seen Youkilis play since 2009.

Either way, I get the sense that there's a widening chasm developing between Hal/Levine and Cashman.
    I wonder. Cashman was against ARod re-up. Then, he was given "full authority", etc. He intended to build the farm, which has not really happened. Then, with that "full authority" it was said that ownership gave Soriano his deal. Now, Cashman has to run every transaction up the ladder.....but he is still here. I think Cashman has done a good job, but I no longer buy into his occasional bursts for autonomy. I think he is just fine being in whatever the role is defined for him, he could have left multiple times, and has not.
    Goin for 2<strike>7</strike>8!

NYYF Legend

Here is the full transcript of Hal's comments to the media:
    http://blogs.wsj.com/metropolis/2013...l-empty-seats/

Quote Originally Posted by snapple View Post
    Same. Unless it's a CC 2.0. That's a very shiny toy that is very much worth buying.
    Theoretically that's exactly what managing the payroll should allow Cashman to do two or three years from now. Pay what you have to for your key pieces like a new shiny CC and build your side around them with productive players like Ichiro.

The problem is we don't have the manouverability in the payroll to rebuild like this at the moment. I believe this is what Hal is trying to change and am all for it. You have to be flexible on the field as well as off to get the guys you want, not just go all in because that's what you've always done.

I still have no worries about making the play-offs for the Yanks in the next couple of years but getting past the first round! That's why we need to change down the line.
    'Keep your mouth shut and play baseball!', Tony Lazzeri.

Quote Originally Posted by steveo_88 View Post
    Theoretically that's exactly what managing the payroll should allow Cashman to do two or three years from now. Pay what you have to for your key pieces like a new shiny CC and build your side around them with productive players like Ichiro.

The problem is we don't have the manouverability in the payroll to rebuild like this at the moment. I believe this is what Hal is trying to change and am all for it. You have to be flexible on the field as well as off to get the guys you want, not just go all in because that's what you've always done.

I still have no worries about making the play-offs for the Yanks in the next couple of years but getting past the first round! That's why we need to change down the line.
    Well said. They've pretty much be forced into making some big changes. They know they have to do it and the sooner they do it, the better.
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

My projection remains:

Yanks
    Rays
    Jays
    Orioles
    Red Sox
    A lot had to and did go wrong for the Sox last year. They were basically the last decade of the Mets. I don't see them finishing last. However the east is so unpredictable this year now I can't rank the team's. Not even guessing.
    You're a stranger til she whispers you can stay.
    You're a stranger til she whispers that your journey's over.

NYYFans Fantasy Baseball:
    CBS: Evil Empire
    Yahoo: Special OPS

Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    A lot had to and did go wrong for the Sox last year. They were basically the last decade of the Mets. I don't see them finishing last. However the east is so unpredictable this year now I can't rank the team's. Not even guessing.
    I do, their roster is weaker than last year's opening day roster and I am not so sure Lester is capable of bouncing all the way back.

NYYF Triple Crown

Two beautiful rural acres in Windham, Maine

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/n...n-upton-011312

Another example of a somewhat troubling and perplexing trend. Upton is precisely the kind of young player this team so badly needs to add to their aging roster, and yet there's no interest? I do appreciate the Kuroda and Pettitte signings as well as bringing back Mo. I recognize that they aggressively overpaid for Youk but understand the logic. But I'm having a real hard time swallowing their apparent disinterest in pursuing talented young players like this.
    Yankee fan living in Maine.

Quote Originally Posted by apalradio View Post

Another example of a somewhat troubling and perplexing trend. Upton is precisely the kind of young player this team so badly needs to add to their aging roster, and yet there's no interest? I do appreciate the Kuroda and Pettitte signings as well as bringing back Mo. I recognize that they aggressively overpaid for Youk but understand the logic. But I'm having a real hard time swallowing their apparent disinterest in pursuing talented young players like this.
    I'm sure the interest is there, but the stumbling block would be the price. We'd have to gut the top talent of the farm to match what the M's offered. I'm they're monitoring the situation and will be more interested if the price comes down
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdvM0IB5Sbs

MICRO PASSIVE/MICRO AGGRESSIVE

Quote Originally Posted by apalradio View Post

Trading for Upton then trading Granderson to clear a spot for him? Our GMs head would explode.

NYYF Legend

I don't think it is the prospects....I think it is the payroll. Upton has 3/38.5 left....very palatable, but not if the goal is to get and hold at $189M. It has become crystal clear that is the primary goal of the Yankees, building the best team possible at that number or lower.

It is disappointing, but until they can unwind some contracts, I think we see multiple excellent opportunities pass the team by. Hopefully they can simultaneously compete, but that is not easy.
    Goin for 2<strike>7</strike>8!

Quote Originally Posted by goin for 27 View Post
    I don't think it is the prospects....I think it is the payroll. Upton has 3/38.5 left....very palatable, but not if the goal is to get and hold at $189M. It has become crystal clear that is the primary goal of the Yankees, building the best team possible at that number or lower.

It is disappointing, but until they can unwind some contracts, I think we see multiple excellent opportunities pass the team by. Hopefully they can simultaneously compete, but that is not easy.
    i think you're incorrect here. His AAV is like $8MM on this deal. He is exactly the type of player the Yankees want and need. Young, talented, marketable and low impact to cap.

It's the prospects. Either Towers doesn't like 'em or Cashman doesn't want to give 'em up.

i think you're incorrect here. His AAV is like $8MM on this deal. He is exactly the type of player the Yankees want and need. Young, talented, marketable and low impact to cap.

It's the prospects. Either Towers doesn't like 'em or Cashman doesn't want to give 'em up.
    probably this. what would we be offering?
    like delv, but better

Quote Originally Posted by SatchelPaigeYankee View Post
    probably this. what would we be offering?
    I think they could offer similar value, although position-wise Towers seems to want SP/SS (which is weird since he just gave up Bauer for Gregorious).

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

I think they could offer similar value, although position-wise Towers seems to want SP/SS (which is weird since he just gave up Bauer for Gregorious).
    IMO, the real issue is that the Yankees have nothing really ready at the AAA level with regards to SP and middle IF.

Sure, we could trade David Phelps, Adam Warren and Corban Joseph/David Adams, but is there really any value there? We have quality lower level prospects, but they are not going to be ready until 14 or 15 at the earliest.

We could try to structure a package around, say, Robertson, Nunez and Phelps, but then we are hurting our team more than we are improving it.

The simple matter is that the two teams do not match up.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post
    IMO, the real issue is that the Yankees have nothing really ready at the AAA level with regards to SP and middle IF.

Sure, we could trade David Phelps, Adam Warren and Corban Joseph/David Adams, but is there really any value there? We have quality lower level prospects, but they are not going to be ready until 14 or 15 at the earliest.

We could try to structure a package around, say, Robertson, Nunez and Phelps, but then we are hurting our team more than we are improving it.

The simple matter is that the two teams do not match up.
    Yes. Enough value to get Justin Upton? No. But there is value in that package to get a quality ML player in return. Adams, Phelps, & Joseph are underrated by this board.

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

BTW - I want to throw a bit of an feral derriere name into the mix for the RH OF/DH position.

David Adams has shown decent skills both at AA and in the AFL this season. The Yankees thought enough of his athleticism to send him to the AFL to move to 3B as a possible replacement down the road for ARod.

What about putting him in LF in spring training and see how he handles a corner OF slot? He is a middle IFer (2Bman) and there is a long history of middle IFers moving to the OF (Robin Yount and Craig Biggio both immediately come to mind. In the Yankee system, Mickey Mantle, Tom Tresh and Roy White all were middle IFers in the minors. The Yankees also did this with Alphonso Soriano to find him a place in the lineup before the infamous Knoblach lockup occurred.

I see nothing to lose by putting Adams into the OF in spring training to see what happens.

Of course, this idea could be nothing more than the pursuit of an untamed ornithoid.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

Thread Information