+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Re: The Way Yankee Stadium Used to Be

Quote Originally Posted by nyyfan61 View Post
    C'mon, Yankee-land. Trust me, I love seeing World Series championships as much as anyone, but that can't be the only thing you cheer for. I mean, we're lucky to have a great enough team that we're spoiled...but when focus on the 28th ring detracts from our love for a June game where Andy Pettitte is miraculously still wheeling and dealing, that's a problem. It almost makes me hope the Yankees have a rough season or two at some point, just to refocus the fanbase on the joy of having a winning team.
    Agreed. I can't stand the "Got Rings?" advertising ... it's really stupid.

NYYF Legend

Completely agree. The stadium as a physical structure doesn't matter nearly as much as the fan base, which has become an odd mix of greedy and complacent. I hate the "championship or bust" mentality. That's just not really possible, and detracts from the enjoyment of seeing a team which is still pretty darn awesome.

For comparison's sake: I live in Washington, DC, and was here when the Nationals won their first-ever division crown this year. Now, the Yankees had a MUCH harder road to winning their division than the Nationals did. The Nationals had like an 8-game lead in September, while the Yankees had to fight tooth and nail with the Orioles in a really exciting photo finish. But when the Nats clinched, all of Washington exulted. People set off fireworks, plastered the Metro in Nats posters, etc. And when the Yankees clinched, it was sort of like, "next."

C'mon, Yankee-land. Trust me, I love seeing World Series championships as much as anyone, but that can't be the only thing you cheer for. I mean, we're lucky to have a great enough team that we're spoiled...but when focus on the 28th ring detracts from our love for a June game where Andy Pettitte is miraculously still wheeling and dealing, that's a problem. It almost makes me hope the Yankees have a rough season or two at some point, just to refocus the fanbase on the joy of having a winning team.

Edit: didn't mean for that to be so long, sorry! Guess I need some way to fill my time till the season starts up again...
    This is so true. Yankees are the only team that can finish first and if they don't make it to the Series the atmosphere is like they finished last. Maybe you can blame this on so many more Divisions and Wild Cards.

NYYF Legend

Completely agree. The stadium as a physical structure doesn't matter nearly as much as the fan base, which has become an odd mix of greedy and complacent. I hate the "championship or bust" mentality. That's just not really possible, and detracts from the enjoyment of seeing a team which is still pretty darn awesome.

For comparison's sake: I live in Washington, DC, and was here when the Nationals won their first-ever division crown this year. Now, the Yankees had a MUCH harder road to winning their division than the Nationals did. The Nationals had like an 8-game lead in September, while the Yankees had to fight tooth and nail with the Orioles in a really exciting photo finish. But when the Nats clinched, all of Washington exulted. People set off fireworks, plastered the Metro in Nats posters, etc. And when the Yankees clinched, it was sort of like, "next."

Edit: didn't mean for that to be so long, sorry! Guess I need some way to fill my time till the season starts up again...
    I've been able to attend some Nats games (before and after the new stadium and success) and the fanbase reminds me more of how it used to be at the ballpark, for the most part -right down to the corny Presidents race, which fans love. They cheer no matter which team just made an outstanding play or whose pitcher is being taken out after a great performance. I've yet to hear profanity or see anybody who's had one too many "sodas". There was some increase in attendance after they got their new ballpark, but of course this past year, the place was packed most of the time. Harper and Strausburg didn't hurt the cause either. The Nats are a fun team to watch They're also starting to remodel and build up the waterfront area a la Camden Yards. Right now, there isn't much to do within walking distance before or after the game, which is another drawing ticket for Baltimore.

I agree - sometimes you don't know how fortunate you are until it's taken away. Fans in NY are used to seeing all the high-priced free agents land in the Bronx - buying championships as critics love to say. That edge has gradually eroded and there really is no doormat in the AL East anymore. I'm afraid it's going to get worse before it ever gets better again.
    September 28, 2008 - the day the HOF got a wake-up Moose call.

Quote Originally Posted by Number_15 View Post
    Agreed. I can't stand the "Got Rings?" advertising ... it's really stupid.
    I too dislike the pompous advertising of all things in Yankee land, but I have to admit this one is clever. I would never wear the t shirt but I do like the idea.
    Please sign David Robertson and Chase Headley.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    I too dislike the pompous advertising of all things in Yankee land, but I have to admit this one is clever. I would never wear the t shirt but I do like the idea.
    Regarding the "Got Rings?" signs/shirts/etc. .... I've noticed that kind of arrogance can bite you in the ass if you can't follow through on your bragging. SF players are getting fitted for the 2012 WS rings. And a bucketful of rings won't help them in 2013 if they don't field a strong team.

37 miles from the Home Office of Baseball

Just kidding about the quiche. Actually, one thing I have to give the Yankees credit for is allowing fans to bring their own food into the stadium. I'm amazed that they would do anything that could cut into their own food sales. If attendance and revenues ever drop, we'll see if they stick to that policy.
    Yeah, they can't ban outside food. Just say "Americans With Disabilities Act" and they will fold. My son has a lot of food issues, and some parking lot attendant tried to stop us from bringing food into a LI Ducks game. We ignored him said "thanks!" sarcastically, and when we got to the turnstiles they let us through with no issue.

We had an issue once at a movie theater bringing in popcorn and when we mentioned ADA the kid looked at his manager who waved us in.

The ONLY place I respect the "no outside food" rule is at Kosher restaurants. But other than Kosher places, I have brought in outside food for my son to eat at every other place.

Fantasy Baseball: Larrupin' Lou's

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Big_E View Post
    Yeah, they can't ban outside food. Just say "Americans With Disabilities Act" and they will fold. My son has a lot of food issues, and some parking lot attendant tried to stop us from bringing food into a LI Ducks game. We ignored him said "thanks!" sarcastically, and when we got to the turnstiles they let us through with no issue.

We had an issue once at a movie theater bringing in popcorn and when we mentioned ADA the kid looked at his manager who waved us in.

The ONLY place I respect the "no outside food" rule is at Kosher restaurants. But other than Kosher places, I have brought in outside food for my son to eat at every other place.
    Most minor league baseball teams have rules against bringing in outside food.

I've noticed a couple of people say the best way to fight back is to just not show up. I can't do that. There is nothing in life I enjoy more than going to ballgames, I don't care where they're played. This forum has such a large following of smart, dedicated fans. Has anyone here ever tried starting some form of organized campaign or petition protesting some of the policies the organization has adopted? I can't recall any such effort, maybe it's time we try.
    The artist formerly known as BillBuckner.

Quote Originally Posted by boomerdisciple View Post
    I've noticed a couple of people say the best way to fight back is to just not show up. I can't do that.

It boils down to this: suppose ticket prices for bleacher seats (obstructed view) were jacked up to the point where they cost $100, or $200, or some other ridiculous price (with similar hikes for the rest of the seats). Even if you could afford to pay that much, how would it make you feel? It sucks the joy out of it when you feel like your loyalty is taken for granted.

Let's face it, we're all kind of idiots for being fans of any team - the players all wear the same color uniforms, but they're from all over the world and most don't stay on one team for too long. It may be a little crazy, but we enjoy it, it gives us great experiences and memories. But if management believes that this is like insulin for a diabetic, that fans can't live without going to the ballpark, then that's pretty screwed up. (Exhibit A: ticket pricing chart of NYS.)

Petitions aren't going to work because so long as attendance is high, Yankee brass can rightfully say that they're responding to fans' desire for tickets (and cutting into scalpers' profits). We live in a supply and demand world - slowing down the cash flow is the only message that really matters.

It's not like you have to go cold turkey on baseball. Besides watching on TV, there's minor league ballparks, college or HS games, or your local park. There are no "moats" to deal with - you can see the action up close.

It boils down to this: suppose ticket prices for bleacher seats (obstructed view) were jacked up to the point where they cost $100, or $200, or some other ridiculous price (with similar hikes for the rest of the seats). Even if you could afford to pay that much, how would it make you feel? It sucks the joy out of it when you feel like your loyalty is taken for granted.

Let's face it, we're all kind of idiots for being fans of any team - the players all wear the same color uniforms, but they're from all over the world and most don't stay on one team for too long. It may be a little crazy, but we enjoy it, it gives us great experiences and memories. But if management believes that this is like insulin for a diabetic, that fans can't live without going to the ballpark, then that's pretty screwed up. (Exhibit A: ticket pricing chart of NYS.)

Petitions aren't going to work because so long as attendance is high, Yankee brass can rightfully say that they're responding to fans' desire for tickets (and cutting into scalpers' profits). We live in a supply and demand world - slowing down the cash flow is the only message that really matters.

It's not like you have to go cold turkey on baseball. Besides watching on TV, there's minor league ballparks, college or HS games, or your local park. There are no "moats" to deal with - you can see the action up close.
    HDTV changed the game as well. Why pay all that money when you can lie in bed or the couch and watch on HD? You buy a ticket in advance , you have to now worry about rain since they no longer postpone games short of a monsoon, midnight endings, and obsene prices for parking and food. Granted, all of us here know our tricks for cheap parking, and bringing in food, but the average fan does not.

Attendance is still at levels unheard of as late as 1999, but is trending down, and if you don't think this sudden need to not pay luxury tax is not directly related to empty rows of Legends/Field/Champions seats and a suite level that is empty for most games, your kidding yourself. The Yankees whole argument for a new stadium was that they needed luxury seating, and those types of seats are going unused since the market crash. Companies simply cannot be seen spending 6 figures on sports tickets when they are cutting jobs and taking assistance

NYYF MVP

I used to go to 30-40 games plus playoffs regularly, but slowed down a lot when they announced the new stadium. I have been to I think 6 or 7 games at the new replica Yankee Stadium. In 2008, I only went to the last game, and that was a last minute thing. As someone put it above, our loyalty was taken for granted. I'll go on a rare occasion, but overall I'm sick of giving them my money.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lurker
    I think it's a sad commentary on society that it takes a new $1.3 billion facility to get people to stop peeing on the floor.

I used to go to 30 -40 games at the old place, especially in the late 70's - early 80's traveling from the Philly suburbs via train & subway. I came for many weekend series and often during the week sometimes getting home at 5:00 am just in time to get ready for class.

My biggest memory of the real Yankee stadium was the history and the goose bumps. I still remember my first game standing there watching Reggie shag flies during BP and thinking about all of the great Yankees and other baseball legends that glided across that field, (albeit not the same grass). Standing there knowing Babe Ruth, Joe DiMaggio, Lou Gehrig and Mickey Mantle played RIGHT THERE, was an incredible moment. Yea I know you don't need history to have good baseball but getting rid of what you had diminishes the whole thing to me.

I could give a rat’s ass about the fluff at the new place or any place for that matter like multiple food choices, comfy seats or restaurants. Give me ANY place to sit, a score card, several beers and some peanuts and I’m good. I’m not looking for a Barcalounger, Pinot Noir or a prime steak at a ballpark. It is four bloody hours or less for Christ’s sake. I’ve survived on flights twice that long in coach!

NYS is like a history-less facsimile, a replica like the Parthenon in Nashville. Standing there does nothing for me except piss me off that they couldn’t have found a way to save the old place or build NYS on the same dirt so I don’t go.

Maybe in 100 years the new place will have SOME history but I doubt it will ever be like the Parthenon in Athens.

Quote Originally Posted by yankees2010 View Post
    HDTV changed the game as well. Why pay all that money when you can lie in bed or the couch and watch on HD? You buy a ticket in advance , you have to now worry about rain since they no longer postpone games short of a monsoon, midnight endings, and obsene prices for parking and food. Granted, all of us here know our tricks for cheap parking, and bringing in food, but the average fan does not.

Attendance is still at levels unheard of as late as 1999, but is trending down, and if you don't think this sudden need to not pay luxury tax is not directly related to empty rows of Legends/Field/Champions seats and a suite level that is empty for most games, your kidding yourself. The Yankees whole argument for a new stadium was that they needed luxury seating, and those types of seats are going unused since the market crash. Companies simply cannot be seen spending 6 figures on sports tickets when they are cutting jobs and taking assistance
    I haven't been to NYS yet, but I am planning on making at least one apperance this season, just to see them in person and call it done. HDTV has never disappointed me so far and will continue to call that my season ticket.

NYYF Legend

But there is a downside to all the creature comforts at NYS ... the crowds aren't as enthusiastic as they used to be.

As many people on this thread have mentioned, the old ballparks attracted more of a diehard fan kind of crowd. You didn't go the ballpark for a gourmet dining experience, you ate hot dogs, you sat in wooden seats and you watched the damn game on the field. You put up with the inconveniences because you loved the game and your team. In just about every other row of the ballpark, you'd see a fan keeping score of the game in a scorebook. If you do that now, a lot of people have no idea what you're doing, they look at you like you're some kind of freak!

Since they had fewer amenities, the old ballparks were less attractive to "casual" fans (and more good seats were available for real sports fans). A few decades ago, if you were hosting some out of town business group that wasn't really into baseball, you took them to a nice NYC restaurant to eat, drink and talk shop. You wouldn't dream of suggesting an evening at a "shabby" ballpark if they weren't really into it. Now that seeing a Yankee game is on a lot of tourists' "to do" lists, it's totally different - you can dine in comfort at the NYS, talk business, take a few cellphone calls and leave by the seventh inning.

But I wonder how this will affect their fan base of the future. The Yankees are turning a blind eye to the more passionate fans, the ones who can sustain the team over a long season, especially in lean years. This may come back to bite them.

I can't see how this genie can be put back in the bottle, not so long as the Yankees are still drawing relatively high attendance and charging outrageous ticket prices. But we're not totally helpless - staying away from the ballpark sends a very clear message. The Yankee brass should know that there are limits to our loyalty - just because you're a diehard fan doesn't mean that you have the word "STUPID" tattooed on your forehead.

You are correct in your statements, but to a great extent, I am an antisocial person. I go to the Stadium to see the game and enjoy what creature comforts may be there. I could care less about the crowd. In fact if the fans are less passionate, to my mind, so much the better. I don't have to put up with as many jerks as before. I don't have the drunken bums sitting in front of me with thier obscene remarks or those trying to start the wave.

Each of us sees the comforts, or lack of, in the new Stadiun in different ways.

Regards

Andy
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Nome View Post
    You are correct in your statements, but to a great extent, I am an antisocial person. I go to the Stadium to see the game and enjoy what creature comforts may be there. I could care less about the crowd. In fact if the fans are less passionate, to my mind, so much the better. I don't have to put up with as many jerks as before. I don't have the drunken bums sitting in front of me with thier obscene remarks or those trying to start the wave.

Each of us sees the comforts, or lack of, in the new Stadiun in different ways.

Regards

Andy
    I get what you're saying about fans who're generally a royal pain-in-the-ass, but they're usually in the minority. Of course, if they're sitting next to you, it hardly seems that way. I'm introverted, but at a ballgame, that takes a backseat, for some reason. I'd rather have a packed house and deal with the clowns and jerks than sit in a stadium that's less than half full and nobody paying attention to what's happening on the field. Our buddy Moose said he hated pitching on days when the stands were empty. He wanted some noise even if it was insults.
    September 28, 2008 - the day the HOF got a wake-up Moose call.

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    Most minor league baseball teams have rules against bringing in outside food.
    Which is fine, but it's unenforceable.

Quote Originally Posted by Nome View Post
    Just to be clear, when I mentioned "enthusiastic" fans, I wasn't including drunken fans or people who make obscene remarks in that category. They're just morons. I'm talking about the kind of fans who, when the Yanks are down by a run, start the rhythmic clapping, chanting (remember "Hip, hip, Jorge"?), and who yell encouragement for their team. There's nothing wrong with that - it's part of the home field advantage and part of the fun of being at a game. You dont necessarily have to high-five the guy sitting next to you - that's optional.

As for the wave, there are few things that set me off about stuff people do at ballgames more than the wave. Nothing says "I DON'T CARE ABOUT THIS GAME" more clearly than doing the wave (that and playing with beach balls). I can see how five year olds might be impressed by the wave, since their brains aren't fully formed yet, but that doesn't mean adults should be dragged into it. It started out as a laid-back, West Coast thing, and it should have stayed there, where it belongs, instead of spreading like a plague to the rest of the country.

NYYF Legend

Just to be clear, when I mentioned "enthusiastic" fans, I wasn't including drunken fans or people who make obscene remarks in that category. They're just morons. I'm talking about the kind of fans who, when the Yanks are down by a run, start the rhythmic clapping, chanting (remember "Hip, hip, Jorge"?), and who yell encouragement for their team. There's nothing wrong with that - it's part of the home field advantage and part of the fun of being at a game. You dont necessarily have to high-five the guy sitting next to you - that's optional.

As for the wave, there are few things that set me off about stuff people do at ballgames more than the wave. Nothing says "I DON'T CARE ABOUT THIS GAME" more clearly than doing the wave (that and playing with beach balls). I can see how five year olds might be impressed by the wave, since their brains aren't fully formed yet, but that doesn't mean adults should be dragged into it. It started out as a laid-back, West Coast thing, and it should have stayed there, where it belongs, instead of spreading like a plague to the rest of the country.

Agreed. Hate the wave. My friends and I used to tell people doing the wave to go back to Shea Stadium. That's where the Wave became popular in NY in the early 1980's.

Agree with all of you about the "wave"--I refuse to take part! Similar to some of you, I used to go to at least 20 games per season. At the Select-a-Seat event (I stayed put) I wanted to show my ticket rep why I can't afford to go to games anymore. I have a parking receipt from the 1998 season--$6.00; my Tier Reserve ticket was $12.00 (and for the 1998 Yankees!), the GWB toll was maybe $5.00 or $6.00. So going to a game was a bit more expensive than a movie, but it was not priced as a "special event", like a Broadway show or a concert, at least to my budget. Even in 2007, not that long ago, my Tier Reserve seat had climbed to $17.00 and the parking to $14.00. (I'm sure the bridge toll had gone up, too.) Now, had I kept the equivalent of my old seats, I'd be paying $28.00 per ticket, with parking at $35.00 and the bridge toll at $13.00. That's $76.00! And this doesn't include gas, additional tolls (NJ Turnpike), or food and drink (one thing that can be economized upon, but advanced planning is required and sometimes that doesn't work out!). So I'd be spending almost $1,600 per season to go to 20 games. Yes, $76.00 per game is less expensive that a typical Broadway show or concert, but I don't go to 20 of those per year--morel like once or twice per year. I am one of those fans that knows what's going on with team, keep up with the call-ups from AAA, keep the cheers going (miss "hip, hip, Jorge!"), and love being at the Stadium, yes, even the new Stadium, though I love it less than the old Stadium. Between these realities and the changed acoustics, it's just not the same experience--it's also harder to deal with a loss, since so much money is now being spent just to attend.

Quote Originally Posted by njyankeesfan View Post
    Agree with all of you about the "wave"--I refuse to take part! Similar to some of you, I used to go to at least 20 games per season. At the Select-a-Seat event (I stayed put) I wanted to show my ticket rep why I can't afford to go to games anymore. I have a parking receipt from the 1998 season--$6.00; my Tier Reserve ticket was $12.00 (and for the 1998 Yankees!), the GWB toll was maybe $5.00 or $6.00. So going to a game was a bit more expensive than a movie, but it was not priced as a "special event", like a Broadway show or a concert, at least to my budget. Even in 2007, not that long ago, my Tier Reserve seat had climbed to $17.00 and the parking to $14.00. (I'm sure the bridge toll had gone up, too.) Now, had I kept the equivalent of my old seats, I'd be paying $28.00 per ticket, with parking at $35.00 and the bridge toll at $13.00. That's $76.00! And this doesn't include gas, additional tolls (NJ Turnpike), or food and drink (one thing that can be economized upon, but advanced planning is required and sometimes that doesn't work out!). So I'd be spending almost $1,600 per season to go to 20 games. Yes, $76.00 per game is less expensive that a typical Broadway show or concert, but I don't go to 20 of those per year--morel like once or twice per year. I am one of those fans that knows what's going on with team, keep up with the call-ups from AAA, keep the cheers going (miss "hip, hip, Jorge!"), and love being at the Stadium, yes, even the new Stadium, though I love it less than the old Stadium. Between these realities and the changed acoustics, it's just not the same experience--it's also harder to deal with a loss, since so much money is now being spent just to attend.
    You hit a great point. People wonder why everyone is so negative now? Well when you spend $35 to park, $100 for 4 upper seats and $15 for tolls before you even see a pitch, if the Yankees are down 2-0 in the first, you are more apt to boo then in 1998 when it was 80% cheaper to get in the door

Quote Originally Posted by yankees2010 View Post
    You hit a great point. People wonder why everyone is so negative now? Well when you spend $35 to park, $100 for 4 upper seats and $15 for tolls before you even see a pitch, if the Yankees are down 2-0 in the first, you are more apt to boo then in 1998 when it was 80% cheaper to get in the door
    Plus, there wasn't much booing going on in 1998, well, except the first five games of the season!

Since they had fewer amenities, the old ballparks were less attractive to "casual" fans (and more good seats were available for real sports fans). A few decades ago, if you were hosting some out of town business group that wasn't really into baseball, you took them to a nice NYC restaurant to eat, drink and talk shop. You wouldn't dream of suggesting an evening at a "shabby" ballpark if they weren't really into it.
    I'm not so sure about that. I used to be in sales and just about every customer I had loved going to OYS for a game (or Shea). When my company got bought out there were folks who came over from San Jose and the first thing they wanted to do when they came to NY was see a Yankee game. So did most of the guys who came over from our Chinese owners.
    Please sign David Robertson and Chase Headley.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by njyankeesfan View Post
    Plus, there wasn't much booing going on in 1998, well, except the first five games of the season!
    Those 5 games were on the road. No booing from Yankees fans!

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    I'm not so sure about that. I used to be in sales and just about every customer I had loved going to OYS for a game (or Shea). When my company got bought out there were folks who came over from San Jose and the first thing they wanted to do when they came to NY was see a Yankee game. So did most of the guys who came over from our Chinese owners.
    When my old company hosted their Japanese customers, it was expected to go to Yankee Stadium, especially when Matsui was with Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    Those 5 games were on the road. No booing from Yankees fans!
    True, I was thinking about the Daily News (I think) back page suggesting Torre's job was on the line, and the general fan angst in NY at the 1-4 record. Turned out not to be a problem, lol.

Thread Information