+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    NYYF Legend

Re: The Way Yankee Stadium Used to Be

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    That wasn't allowed in the old Yankee Stadium either, not for many years. You couldn't enter the field level boxes in front of the aisle without a ticket. Not even during batting/infield practice.
    I believe they started restricting fans from the Field seats in the late 1990's. I also think there is a rule preventing players from giving autographs during batting practice that goes back to the late 1980's. I was watching the Pinstripe Bowl and they did not let anyone sit in the Legends seats for that game.

I dislike the empty Legends seats and the placement of Monument Park. Other then that, I love the new stadium.

Mostly an Observer

Quote Originally Posted by StingrayJG View Post
    Like most of us here, I was there for many great games and moments where I can't name them all, but some that stand out and stay with me more than others are:

Best "moments":
    1995 ALDS game 1, Mattingly's pre-game introduction as he trotted out to the baseline. Then Ruben Sierra's HR crush when he "put the mustard on the hot dog" trotting around the bases, and Mattingly go back to back in game 2. The crowd was so playoff-hungry and into it, this was before we got spoiled.

You got it right here. I was at both those games. Game One was the most intense ever from the perspective of crowd involvement. The end of a 14 year postseason drought. The crowd was into EVERY pitch. Then Game Two, which might have been the best pure baseball game I ever saw...ending at 1:30 in the morning with the Jim Leyritz homer in the bottom of the 15th...in the rain.

The new building is a toxic dump of apathy and indifference. An energyless, souless, vacuum into which only dollars flow. I hate it.

37 miles from the Home Office of Baseball

Quote Originally Posted by AnskyAddict View Post
    The new building is a toxic dump of apathy and indifference. An energyless, souless, vacuum into which only dollars flow. I hate it.
    Sounds like the Yankees in the post-season.

One WS title in 12 seasons.
    Three WS appearances in 12 seasons.
    Five 1st round playoff exits in 12 seasons.

And you expect the same level of intensity as when we won 4 WS titles in 5 years? It's more the team than the fans/stadium.

Fantasy Baseball: Larrupin' Lou's

NYYF Cy Young

I did always wonder how boring it would get if we won the WS every year. I remember after we won in 2000 I was excited, but the level of excitement throughout the 2001 season was just, ehh, we're gonna end up going to the WS and winning anyway. I kind of like a little question on the season, it keeps a 162 game season much more interesting (and stressful). I'm all for not winning every other year, as weird as that sounds. Plus, I would like to actually see the Cubs win in my lifetime.

I never got bored. Who knows when a team, especially the one I root for, will dominate for that long again.

and screw the cubs.
    Thank you, 2013-2014 New York Rangers for a great season!

NYYFans Fantasy Baseball:
    CBS: Evil Empire
    Yahoo: Special OPS

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    and screw the cubs.
    I agree. With very few constants in life, it is always reassuring to know that no matter what happens elsewhere in the world, the Cubs won't win a World Series. I hope it doesn't happen in my lifetime. Can you imagine how insufferable Cubs fans would become if they actually won?
    I can't complain but sometimes I still do. - Joe Walsh

As long as the Marlins are in the NL it will not happen. According to Back to the Future anyway.

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Man View Post
    I agree. With very few constants in life, it is always reassuring to know that no matter what happens elsewhere in the world, the Cubs won't win a World Series. I hope it doesn't happen in my lifetime. Can you imagine how insufferable Cubs fans would become if they actually won?
    Probably no worse than Yankees fans haha.

I never got bored. Who knows when a team, especially the one I root for, will dominate for that long again.

and screw the cubs.
    Yeah - eff the Cubs. It's fun watching them think they'll win and then their season is in the toilet at the all star break... Good times!
    “Begin each day as if it were on purpose........”—Alex Hitchens

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Man View Post
    They wouldn't become insufferable...they'd fade away. Their identity is wrapped up in their suffering. Ranger fans I knew were always proud of their suffering. Year after year without the Cup almost strengthened their resolve to be Rangers fans. Year after year, management made big deals, threw as much money as they could at the team to try to win the Cup.

Then 1994 happened. Rangers fans went delirious. They won the Cup!

Well, that was 18 years ago. Rangers fans though are no longer "long suffering Rangers fans". They're no different than Canadiens fans, or Oilers fans.

It would be the same thing for Cubs fans. A year or two of boasting, then the losing would continue but Wrigley would no longer sell out, people I think would care less about the Cubbies.

Quote Originally Posted by Big_E View Post
    A year or two of boasting, then the losing would continue but Wrigley would no longer sell out, people I think would care less about the Cubbies.
    You might be right. In that case, I hope the Cubs continue to perform in a way that allows their "long suffering" fans to retain their unique identity. I not only don't want the Cubs to win a World Series, I don't want them to even participate in one.
    I can't complain but sometimes I still do. - Joe Walsh

NYYF Legend

and screw the cubs.
    Agreed. You never know when things can turn bad. When the Yankees made it to the WS 4 times in 6 years ending in 1981 we thought it would continue and it was 15 years before the Yankees got back. As long as the Yankees make it to the PS there is always a shot at going all the way. Winning never gets boring.

Ranger fans I knew were always proud of their suffering.
    Weirdos. I hated the suffering and the mocking. Especially from cocky Islanders fans with their "four in a row" crap.

Weirdos. I hated the suffering and the mocking. Especially from cocky Islanders fans with their "four in a row" crap.
    Their '4 in a row' was so long ago.... I don't think players were required to wear helmets!
    “Begin each day as if it were on purpose........”—Alex Hitchens

They wouldn't become insufferable...they'd fade away. Their identity is wrapped up in their suffering. Ranger fans I knew were always proud of their suffering. Year after year without the Cup almost strengthened their resolve to be Rangers fans. Year after year, management made big deals, threw as much money as they could at the team to try to win the Cup.

Then 1994 happened. Rangers fans went delirious. They won the Cup!

Well, that was 18 years ago. Rangers fans though are no longer "long suffering Rangers fans". They're no different than Canadiens fans, or Oilers fans.

It would be the same thing for Cubs fans. A year or two of boasting, then the losing would continue but Wrigley would no longer sell out, people I think would care less about the Cubbies.
    Red Sox fans didn't go away.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

In terms of ballpark experience for Yankee fans, nothing could beat going to games at OYS during the mid/late 1970s.

I'm not just talking about some of the "milestone" games (I was fortunate enough to be at the '77WS Game 6 and the '78 Ron Guidry 18K game) - the fan intensity during a lot of the REGULAR SEASON games was just unbelievable. There were some incredible games against the Red Sox that were most memorable for me. At OYS, you were closer to the field, the upper deck was more like a wall than a bowl, but most important of all, the fans were really, really into the game. And we were LOUD! It's easy to understand why some opposing players hated playing at OYS. If you watch some of the games from that era on YES, you can tell the difference between the experience at OYS back then compared to NYS.

OYS gave you a better view of the field and the prices at that time made it possible for blue-collar diehard fans to go to games. When Yankee management built NYS, they knew what they wanted and that's exactly what they got: they designed it for the high rollers downstairs and built a shopping mall for everybody else. It sure wasn't designed for a diehard Yankee fan.

I understand that we live in a capitalist society and I can't actually blame the Yankees for wanting to make lots of money, but the NYS has really turned me off going to games. Even though I could afford the ticket prices (OK, maybe not for the moat seats), I've only been to a few games over the past couple years. As other people have mentioned, that's probably the best way for Yankee fans to fight back.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Number_15 View Post
    In terms of ballpark experience for Yankee fans, nothing could beat going to games at OYS during the mid/late 1970s.

I'm not just talking about some of the "milestone" games (I was fortunate enough to be at the '77WS Game 6 and the '78 Ron Guidry 18K game) - the fan intensity during a lot of the REGULAR SEASON games was just unbelievable. There were some incredible games against the Red Sox that were most memorable for me. At OYS, you were closer to the field, the upper deck was more like a wall than a bowl, but most important of all, the fans were really, really into the game. And we were LOUD! It's easy to understand why some opposing players hated playing at OYS. If you watch some of the games from that era on YES, you can tell the difference between the experience at OYS back then compared to NYS.

OYS gave you a better view of the field and the prices at that time made it possible for blue-collar diehard fans to go to games. When Yankee management built NYS, they knew what they wanted and that's exactly what they got: they designed it for the high rollers downstairs and built a shopping mall for everybody else. It sure wasn't designed for a diehard Yankee fan.

I understand that we live in a capitalist society and I can't actually blame the Yankees for wanting to make lots of money, but the NYS has really turned me off going to games. Even though I could afford the ticket prices (OK, maybe not for the moat seats), I've only been to a few games over the past couple years. As other people have mentioned, that's probably the best way for Yankee fans to fight back.
    Good points. What really added to the noise level in the 70's was the blue-collar diehard fans could afford to sit really anywhere in the park. Field boxes were around $11 in 1977. The upper tier was crazy especially when the Red Sox came to the Stadium.

True, but the Rangers, after two more playoff appearances, missed the playoffs seven years in a row...that also tempers some of the arrogance. (Not to mention 18 years w/o a title).

The Red Sox made the playoffs four of the next five years, including another WS victory. That helps to sustain the fan base. But what will happen to their attendance if they go another four or five years without a playoff berth? They've gone three seasons in a row without a berth. Their last streak of four or more was 1976 through 1985. And attendance suffered.

NYYF HOF

No, they didn't, but the true ´long-suffering´ Red Sox fan got buried under a flood-tide of bandwagon Pink Hat Sox fans. It is sort of the 'fate worse than death' for a hard-core fan base. Now they have been priced out of their stadium and the team reeks worse than it ever did.

I kind of like how it worked out.
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

Quote Originally Posted by theDurk View Post
    No, they didn't, but the true ´long-suffering´ Red Sox fan got buried under a flood-tide of bandwagon Pink Hat Sox fans. It is sort of the 'fate worse than death' for a hard-core fan base. Now they have been priced out of their stadium and the team reeks worse than it ever did.

Fair point.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by theDurk View Post

Could say something similar happened to the Yankees cause of all the winning, the core fan base and "true fans" of the early 90's became lumped in with the band wagoners of the late 90's are early to mid 00's.
    http://twitter.com/NYMoot
    http://nyystarsandpinstripes.blogspot.com

NYYF Legend

My first ML baseball game was in YS in August 1948. I can still remember how green the grass was. The game was against the Philly Athletics. I can still picture Connie Mack in his pinstripe suit waving his scorecard around. I swear I can smell the horsehide of the baseball. My impressions are vivid. I have been to YS numerous times since, but I will admit that in recent years the Stadium has faded in its glory. It had grown old, dirty, rat infested and in need of an infusion of new blood.

I would have preferred that they move out of Bronx but I admit I didn't want them in NJ where I would have to had paid for the new Stadium in my taxes which already were exhorbatent.

I like the new stadium. It was long overdue. I think they did a good job with it and I think it is certainly an improvement of what the old YS had become.

That said, I think the Mets have done a better job with their new stadium.

Not for a minute do I lament the loss of the Old YS. It was overdue for replacement as is Fenway.

All, of course IM(very)HO

ANDY
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

While I understand and respect all the statements that have been made on this thread I believe one area is missing, the type of attendees then and now. I have been going to games since 1958 and was a vendor during the 1960's.
    The loudest games I was at were the Chambliss game in the 1976 ALCS and Reggie's 3 home run clincher in 1977.
    In those days 50,000+ fans knew every player, watched the whole game, talked baseball with their neighbors and didn't need the scoreboard to tell us what to do.
    Now half the crowd have their iphones out, are talking about everything but baseball, etc. Its tough to clap when you have a phone in one hand.
    In my opinion it's the fans more so than the building.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by steveatrich View Post
    While I understand and respect all the statements that have been made on this thread I believe one area is missing, the type of attendees then and now. I have been going to games since 1958 and was a vendor during the 1960's.
    The loudest games I was at were the Chambliss game in the 1976 ALCS and Reggie's 3 home run clincher in 1977.
    In those days 50,000+ fans knew every player, watched the whole game, talked baseball with their neighbors and didn't need the scoreboard to tell us what to do.
    Now half the crowd have their iphones out, are talking about everything but baseball, etc. Its tough to clap when you have a phone in one hand.
    In my opinion it's the fans more so than the building.

But the economics of Baseball today with the huge, expensive stadiums, huge expensive player contracts make ticket prices so high that the type of fans who used to frequent major league baseball games back then simply cannot to afford to come to the games.

I used to loive the days when we had numerous doubleheaders during the season but todey the type of fans who can afford the ticket price sinply are not as rabid as the ones who came to the games several decades ago and those who come today are often unwilling to stay for the entire game.

Andy
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

Thread Information