+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thumbs up Swisher and Tribe reach $56M, four year deal!!!

A person familiar with the negotiations says Nick Swisher has agreed to a $56 million, four-year contract with the Cleveland Indians.

The person spoke on condition of anonymity Sunday because the agreement had not been announced.

The 32-year-old Swisher spent the last four seasons with the New York Yankees and took advantage of the short porch at Yankee Stadium. A switch-hitter who plays outfield and first base, he hit .272 this year with 24 homers and 93 RBIs.

Good riddance!!!

Re: Swisher and Tribe reach $56M, four year deal!!!

.268/.367/.483 .850 during his four years here. Can we get rid of you instead?

Quote Originally Posted by Disco Stu View Post
    A switch-hitter who plays outfield and first base, he hit .272 this year with 24 homers and 93 RBIs.

Good riddance!!!
    If thats good riddance what will Cano be when he leaves next year?

Kind of sucks we only get one draft pick for Swisher, but at least we get something. I hope the 2013 draft can be a good one for us.

Good luck to Swisher and thanks for all the memories. One of my favorites from November to September.

Addicted Member

Cashman letting another team make a great signing from right underneath our noses

Seriously, though, would anyone here really want to pay Swish for 4 years at 14? I like him and wish him success in Cleveland (mainly because they won't make the playoffs) but he needed to go.

Forum Regular

Quote Originally Posted by teknetic View Post
    .169/.283/.305 .589 OPS in the postseason.

He's a good guy, but the smile doesn't make up for ^^

NYYF Legend

Good luck in Cleveland, Swish!

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

While Swisher was productive (and versatile) during the regular season for us, he absolutely sucked in the post-season.

I will shed no tears over his departure, but I wish him well.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

as frustrating as his post seasons have been he was a rock for us during his time in pinstripes. I will miss him. I also wish him well.
    You can't get a sun-tan on the moon.

NYYFans Fantasy Baseball:
    CBS: Evil Empire
    Yahoo: Special OPS

Quote Originally Posted by BronxBombers92 View Post
    .169/.283/.305 .589 OPS in the postseason.

He's a good guy, but the smile doesn't make up for ^^
    Yea, I forgot the part where <15 games trumps 162. Yea he sucked ass in the playoffs, but saying "good riddance" and ignoring all of that makes you look like a goof.

Forum Regular

Yea, I forgot the part where <15 games trumps 162. Yea he sucked ass in the playoffs, but saying "good riddance" and ignoring all of that makes you look like a goof.
    I never said good riddance lol

I...I..never said you did.

the tension is exciting
    always reasonable

NYYF Legend

Thanks for the barrel rolls.........and good luck.....

"Happy Wife.........Happy Life" - unknown

Cashman got Swisher for nothing from the White Sox and Swish provided 15 WAR for only 30M in 4 years. The Yankees paid him well below market value for his prime physical years and now Swish is cashing in on that so good for him.

That trade will go down as one of Cashman's finest moves.
    “He's a clown. Guy says he's from the 209, what the ................ is that?

-CC Sabathia on Dallas Braden

Quote Originally Posted by Chacon View Post
    Cashman got Swisher for nothing from the White Sox and Swish provided 15 WAR for only 30M in 4 years. The Yankees paid him well below market value for his prime physical years and now Swish is cashing in on that so good for him.

That trade will go down as one of Cashman's finest moves.
    Yeah...I don't get the level of anti-Swisher sentiment. he wasn't an elite player, but he took relatively little of the payroll and put up reasonable numbers. In fact, his numbers are almost identical to Tex's at about 1/3 the cost.

As Yankees over four years:

Swisher: .367 obp, .483 slg, 105 hr, 134 doubles, 124 OPS+, $30mm
    Tex: .357 obp, .506 slg, 135 hr, 132 doubes, 126 OPS+, $90mm

Not saying Swisher is some big time loss, but he wasn't a failure as a Yankee given he was a scrap heap pickup basically and made about $7mm a year.

Bite me.

That said, The Yankees didn't need either Swisher or Raul. They simply must lower their payroll for 2014 and if they have to have a kid or two from the minors serve as a *backup* why is that such a bad thing? Pitching wins divisions and as long as everyone on their staff does as well or better they will win 90 games - and don't forget that Houston, a terrible team that lost 100 games last year (in a division with another 100 game loser!) is now in the AL and the Yankees will pick up about 4-5 additional wins simply based on that.

He had a good 4 years for us, but his act was starting to wear thin with the K's, the declining defense and the guaranteed ineptitude at the plate in the post-season. And knowing the financial situation, whether you agree with 189 or not, I wouldn't want the team tying up that money in yet another aging player.

Thanks for your contributions Swish, I enjoyed rooting for you, and good luck in Cleveland.

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeFan1421 View Post
    Yeah...I don't get the level of anti-Swisher sentiment.
    It's because he had a goofy smile on throughout his playoff struggles. People got angry.
    You can't get a sun-tan on the moon.

NYYFans Fantasy Baseball:
    CBS: Evil Empire
    Yahoo: Special OPS

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    It's because he had a goofy smile on throughout his playoff struggles. People got angry.
    Oh. Given how some professional athletes act (as I sit here and watch the NFL), smiling too much while playing a game isn't really high on my list of complaints.

He struggled with top pitching, I think the Indians paid too much for him, and I understand why the Yankees passed, but overall he'll be a loss. He was a better than average offensive player overall and was a great low cost sign by Cashman.

Those people look very stupid for being angry. I'd say Swish has his priorities straight. Wish more pro athletes were like him.

Pricey. Thanks for a few good years, Swish, congrats & good luck. Give it time, you'll be remembered in the Bronx more for your inimitable attitude and judicious eye than your postseason struggles. He's been a very positive presence in our lineup, and we'll miss him (but not at $14M per).

NYYF Triple Crown

There were moments when I wasn't too fond of his mannerisms, especially when he was struggling. But I never got the impression that he wasn't trying, which would anger me more than anything if it was the case. Robinson Cano, who has arguably vastly more talent and much higher expectations than Swisher has been taken to task before by some people on this board and elsewhere about looking like he's not always trying out there. While we may never know for sure, that would make me angrier if it was true. Even if Nick's full effort didn't measure up to Cano's less than full effort, I'd be angry only at Cano were it found to be the case. It's hard for me to get mad at anyone who is maxing out their talent, abilities and efforts out there regardless of the results.

Personally, I thank him for his time here and wish him well, just not when it can hurt us.
    Jimmy G. (Seniority 03/28/1994)
    1994-2008: Main Res MVP Sec. 14, Row G
    2009: Section 330, Row 6
    2010: Section 233A, Row 20
    2011: Section 229, Row 16 *All Sunday Plans*
    2012: No longer STH, liberated!

NYYF Legend

Swisher's deal includes a 5th year vesting option for an additional $14 million.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

NYYF Cy Young

I liked him, but I'm not too sad to see him go. Especially for a 4-yr deal.
    The Bob Loblaw Law Blog

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
    I liked him, but I'm not too sad to see him go. Especially for a 4-yr deal.
    It's a 5 year deal for all intents and purposes. From what I understand the vesting option is easily attainable.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Thread Information