+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    there's levels to this! ARoDfan4life's Avatar

Re: 2013 Kevin Youkilis Performance Thread

awesome
    "I wish the Yankees had a GM"

I've become a big fan of Yankee Youk. It's hilarious when ex Red-Sox players come to the Yankees and produce.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by IndianaYankFan View Post
    I've become a big fan of Yankee Youk. It's hilarious when ex Red-Sox players come to the Yankees and produce.
    It was sort of programmed into my DNA that he is a douche. Yet he comes off as a very likeable guy in every interview I have seen as a Yankee. Last night, post TP, he talked about his teammates and the clubhouse and he sounded very happy to be here. So, as much as it pains me to say I was wrong, I'm glad he's here because he has really contributed on the field. I also haven't seen him whine much at umpires, as was his style in Boston.
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

What if:
    Youk rakes against lefties and righties and plays well in the field, then ARod and Tex get healthy. I don't see A-Rod getting anything other than occasional rest. If Hafner is pounding homers and driving in runs, even if it's just vs. righties, that's a bat that will work in the lineup, particularly at home. I know that more injuries are coming, but if everyone is healthy who's playing time suffers?
    Let the kids play.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post
    What if:
    Youk rakes against lefties and righties and plays well in the field, then ARod and Tex get healthy. I don't see A-Rod getting anything other than occasional rest. If Hafner is pounding homers and driving in runs, even if it's just vs. righties, that's a bat that will work in the lineup, particularly at home. I know that more injuries are coming, but if everyone is healthy who's playing time suffers?
    Probably Hafner. Wells will share playing time with Ichiro.

Quote Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
    Probably Hafner. Wells will share playing time with Ichiro.
    Does Hafner ride the bench agaisnt righties too? If Youk is hitting for a high average against righties and otherwise having a great season all around, he would play 3rd or DH against righties while A-Rod takes the opposite job, which means Hafner becomes occasional DH and PH only until an injury comes along.
    Let the kids play.

Crow,Tony,Joe,Yogi,Riz,2 Joes Tifoso's Avatar

Does Hafner ride the bench agaisnt righties too? If Youk is hitting for a high average against righties and otherwise having a great season all around, he would play 3rd or DH against righties while A-Rod takes the opposite job, which means Hafner becomes occasional DH and PH only until an injury comes along.

That's assuming that ARod will still be a Yankee
    -Lou 27 (28 in 2014)
    Totus Tuus

Quote Originally Posted by IndianaYankFan View Post
    I desperately wanted to dislike him, but I have found myself liking him a lot.
    -Lou 27 (28 in 2014)
    Totus Tuus

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Tifoso View Post
    I desperately wanted to dislike him, but I have found myself liking him a lot.
    GSIII's hair control policy eliminating the facial squirrel has done wonders for my image of Youk, too. That thing was nasty.
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

Quote Originally Posted by theDurk View Post
    GSIII's hair control policy eliminating the facial squirrel has done wonders for my image of Youk, too. That thing was nasty.
    -Lou 27 (28 in 2014)
    Totus Tuus

What if:
    If we're in a position to ask such questions, that would mean this team is better than we might have thought it was.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

Honestly, that's a problem I'd love for Girardi to have.
    Thank you for making me calm today, Brett Gardner

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by theDurk View Post
    He looks ten years younger without it, IMO. If you look younger, maybe you feel younger too. Whatever it is, it's working. I think he's the type of player you always hear other guys say that they hate when he's on another team, but love him when he's a member of your club.
    September 28, 2008 - the day the HOF got a wake-up Moose call.

NYYF MVP

We miss his smart and powerful right hand bat, but as we know older players have health issues.. This is one reason why it's important for Joe to make some intelligent moves, and to trust his gut and what he sees...

Getting back to Youk, yes we miss him when he's out, and yes he brings a-lot to the table.. Can't wait to see this Yankee team when healthy, even so they're playing hard and have played some pretty good ball...

NYYF Legend

Starting to get worried. If he was healthy you would think he would have played tonight against a lefty. Moving forward any time I hear this team say they are sitting a player for "precautionary reasons" I'm just going to assume a DL stint is imminent.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Addicted Member

Funny that they signed Youk because Arod was hurt.

First Name: Keninovich hardrain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    Starting to get worried. If he was healthy you would think he would have played tonight against a lefty. Moving forward any time I hear this team say they are sitting a player for "precautionary reasons" I'm just going to assume a DL stint is imminent.
    Ya.... sometimes a DL stint, especially in April, should be preferable to carrying a guy who can't play for 10 or 11 DAYS. Why not let Youk heal for 15 days and bring up a fresh body?
    We toast to the old days and DiMaggio too,
    Billy Martin and Mantle, Whitey Ford and to you

Quote Originally Posted by hardrain View Post
    Ya.... sometimes a DL stint, especially in April, should be preferable to carrying a guy who can't play for 10 or 11 DAYS. Why not let Youk heal for 15 days and bring up a fresh body?
    The yankees are awful about roster management. Both active & 40 man. They will gladly let a guy be 'day to day' for 10 days than put him on the DL, because omg what if he can play on the 11th day!? What ends up happening is the guy re-injures, or plays hurt for a few games and is diminished, while they play down a man or two and have like no backup infielder or only 1 catcher or some butts.

Devoted Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jerkface View Post
    The yankees are awful about roster management. Both active & 40 man. They will gladly let a guy be 'day to day' for 10 days than put him on the DL, because omg what if he can play on the 11th day!? What ends up happening is the guy re-injures, or plays hurt for a few games and is diminished, while they play down a man or two and have like no backup infielder or only 1 catcher or some butts.
    Here comes the "Cashman is God" crew

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJVsS-vIDdc
    "The saddest thing in life is wasted talent"

I'm not always pleased with the roster management, but I wonder how often these delayed DL moves are a result of players not being entirely forthcoming about the extent of their injuries.

In this case, he was penciled into the lineup two days ago and then it tightened up again, so I have no problem with him not being DL'd up to this point. But now it should definitely be considered. His replacement is a good bet to outperform Nix and IF depth is something we lack right now.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by jcarey View Post
    I'm not always pleased with the roster management, but I wonder how often these delayed DL moves are a result of players not being entirely forthcoming about the extent of their injuries.

In this case, he was penciled into the lineup two days ago and then it tightened up again, so I have no problem with him not being DL'd up to this point. But now it should definitely be considered. His replacement is a good bet to outperform Nix and IF depth is something we lack right now.
    I think it is more of the type of injury. Backs can linger, or you can feel good in a day or two. Yanks can backdate DL if necessary.

Youkilis has been great so far, but my issue with him is just this....He is glass, and can't stay on the field.
    Goin for 2<strike>7</strike>8!

Quote Originally Posted by jcarey View Post

I'm less concerned with improving over Nix (who in spite of meh aggregate production has done good things on both sides of the ball in limited time) and MUCH MORE concerned about getting a RH bat up here so the BenFranciscoRHDHBatting2nd experiment can be put out of it's misery.

NYYF Legend

At this point can't they just retro DL him already?
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    At this point can't they just retro DL him already?
    Yeah it is pretty freaking ridiculous at this point.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

He's already halfway through a 15-day DL stint. Might as well put him on there and clear up a roster spot.

Not to be negative, because I'm really happy with how well Youkilis has done so far, but I just knew this would happen at some point. Back injuries of this sort are chronic. If they crippled him in 2011 and 2012, odds are they'd bother him this year too. Really no surprise.

Thread Information