+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Re: 2013 Kevin Youkilis Performance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by ArodEra View Post
    Man, talk about being tone deaf. Unless there's surrounding quote fragments that were ignored or even intentionally left out to distort the context, that's just plain stupid. Personally, I don't get bent out of shape about stuff like that but his ignorant if he thinks this fan base is going to tolerate much of that chatter. Hope he got it out of his system.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    Unless there's surrounding quote fragments that were ignored or even intentionally left out to distort the context, that's just plain stupid.
    I can't believe that I'm even close to defending him, but from reading the article, I think you've hit on exactly what happened. He didn't just make these comments in a vacuum; some mediot asked what was probably a leading question in order to elicit remarks just such as these.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldee5 View Post
    I can't believe that I'm even close to defending him, but from reading the article, I think you've hit on exactly what happened. He didn't just make these comments in a vacuum; some mediot asked what was probably a leading question in order to elicit remarks just such as these.
    I really object to the word "mediot," particularly since your scenario is just made-up. Media-bashing is also against CS. For the record, here's how it's reported in the New York Times:

“To say it negates all the years I played for the Boston Red Sox and all the tradition, you look at all the stuff I piled up in my house, to say I just throw it out the window is not true,” he said. “I will always be a Red Sock. That’s a part of your history, a part of your life. You can’t change that.”
    I'm not offended by anything he said, but nobody's putting words in his mouth, either.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Media-bashing is also against CS.
    So is calling a Yankee player what ArodEra called Youkilis.

Quote Originally Posted by -tz View Post
    That may well be true, but it's irrelevant. I really wasn't complaining about the specific poster, for whom I have a great deal of respect. I was just talking about the word, which is commonly used on this board as a derogatory synonym for "reporter." It's time to get rid of it.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

hahahahaha
    always reasonable

I wouldn't expect Youk to say anything different than he did. It's a non-story. It's a little silly for fans to expect him to not be a Red Sox at heart. His first season with them was 2004. If I were in his shoes, I can't imagine feeling anything different.
    Thank you for making me calm today, Brett Gardner

Quote Originally Posted by snapple View Post
    I wouldn't expect Youk to say anything different than he did. It's a non-story. It's a little silly for fans to expect him to not be a Red Sox at heart. His first season with them was 2004. If I were in his shoes, I can't imagine feeling anything different.
    It's a stupid thing to say.

Quote Originally Posted by Brick Tamland View Post
    It's a stupid thing to say.
    .......why? I don't buy that it is a stupid thing to say. He probably was asked a poorly worded question and answered honestly. I don't blame the guy for that. And what in the hell made anyone think that he'd just be like "YO FK DA RED FUX DEY SUK YO!"? Don't be delusional. The man won two rings in Beantown. Think about it like this, when Ichiro! gets into the HoF, do you think he goes in as a Mariner or Yankee?

Of course he will always be a Red "Sock". He played eight and a half years there and won two world series championships. You don't forget all of that simply because you change your uniform. Maybe it wasn't wise of him to say it, but I don't think it's that big of a deal.

A nice way to introduce yourself to the Yanks.

Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar

Is it a wise thing to say? Probably not. Is it a reason to be upset, heck no.

Quote Originally Posted by BRNXBMRS View Post

A nice way to introduce yourself to the Yanks.
    And a ridiculous thing to get upset over.

NYYF MVP

I'd actually rather hear a ball player say what Youk did then give the same bs cliche answer about "just wanting to help the team win games" He spent 8 years in Boston, won two rings, made his money...hell his wife is Tom Brady's sister.

We want athletes to be honest & open but the moment they do they get ripped cause it's not what "we" want to hear.

I dont see why anyone would care about this. Do you really expect him to say "I hate the Sox, it was my dream to play for the Yanks blah blah blah" stuff that would clearly be a lie?

He's being truthful. Of course in his heart he will always be a Sox player. It doesnt mean that he isnt going to go out on the field as a Yankee now, do his job and try to perform well.

Quote Originally Posted by dabomb2045 View Post
    I dont see why anyone would care about this. Do you really expect him to say "I hate the Sox, it was my dream to play for the Yanks blah blah blah" stuff that would clearly be a lie?

He's being truthful. Of course in his heart he will always be a Sox player. It doesnt mean that he isnt going to go out on the field as a Yankee now, do his job and try to perform well.
    He's a ballplayer first. I think that's what everyone's forgetting. He's going to go out there and do his job. I wouldn't expect anything else.

NYYF Triple Crown

Ladies and Gentleman your "big off season acquisition."

Erik Boland ‏@eboland11
    Youkilis sought out reporters to clarify comments from yesterday: "my heart's here...that was in no way meant to say my heart's in Boston."

it's still a non-story as far as I am concerned.

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by eaganmafia View Post
    I'd actually rather hear a ball player say what Youk did then give the same bs cliche answer about "just wanting to help the team win games" He spent 8 years in Boston, won two rings, made his money...hell his wife is Tom Brady's sister.

We want athletes to be honest & open but the moment they do they get ripped cause it's not what "we" want to hear.
    So true. That's why the guys who are most deft with the media (e.g., Jeter) never say anything. It probably wasn't wise, but at this point, when he hasn't even played a game for the Yankees, I understand his feelings
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

Quote Originally Posted by snapple View Post
    And a ridiculous thing to get upset over.
    Im not upset, the news is trying to sell papers.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by dabomb2045 View Post

Very true. Really have no problem with what Youk said. The man won 2 World Series as a Red Sox. What was he supposed to say?

After the 1996 season Clemens was a free agent and rejected the Yankees' contract offer to sign with the Jays stating that they were a better team. Two years later when Roger forced the Jays to trade him to the Yankees he said he always wanted to play for the Yankees. I was a lot more upset with Roger's phoney remarks then what Youk is saying now which is the truth!

His first day in camp...not a wise thing to say and badly timed; it's rather stupid, or ill-advised to say the least.

I don't think anyone is losing sleep over it, so let's refrain from the usual dramatics around here.

Quote Originally Posted by -tz View Post
    Oh please. The apple polishing, hall monitor mentality by some here is worst than what people are posting.

"I had great years in Boston, a lot of history there, I came up with that organization, and there's nothing that can change that. But I'm a Yankee now, and I am looking forward to getting on the field with my new teammates and giving it 110%" or something along those lines. Not "I'll always be a Red Sock." I know he is a pro, but comments like that, while they don't get me fired up, don't exactly make me feel warm and fuzzy.

Quote Originally Posted by ArodEra View Post
    His first day in camp...not a wise thing to say and badly timed; it's rather stupid, or ill-advised to say the least.

I don't think anyone is losing sleep over it, so let's refrain from the usual dramatics around here.
    Says the guy who called him a douche?

Thread Information