+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Re: Kevin Youkilis ?

"begging" how exactly?

they made him a mostly reasonable offer (given their circumstances) because they have a spot he can fill for them. they haven't even made Jeter or Cano (I assume A-Rod would be a non-start in this situation) call him and suck up, have they?

Quote Originally Posted by unfamous loser View Post
    "begging" how exactly?

they made him a mostly reasonable offer (given their circumstances) because they have a spot he can fill for them. they haven't even made Jeter or Cano (I assume A-Rod would be a non-start in this situation) call him and suck up, have they?
    You may call the offer "reasonable;" I do not. It reeks of desperation. I was lementing the fact that we're forced to make such offers. I doubt Cashman actually drove to his house and got down on his knees; do you always take things so literally?

I don't even think figuratively they've begged him though, which was my point.

they made him an offer and are letting him decide on it -- that's it. they haven't, from what I've seen reported, even had a Yankee or two call him and butter him up some (a typical move for this team and most that really, really are after a player) and the offer isn't ridiculously OTT itself either, even if one disagrees with it, given that it's for one year.

Heyman is reporting that the Indians are very close to a deal with Mark Reynolds. I'm not that up on what exactly Cleveland is looking for but I'm guessing that if they do finish up with Reynolds, they wouldn't have a need for Youkilis.

ETA: Update from Heyman: "#indians planning to go with youngster lonnie chisenhall at 3b. so reynolds deal takes Youk off cleveland's board"

Quote Originally Posted by skyblue17 View Post
    Heyman is reporting that the Indians are very close to a deal with Mark Reynolds. I'm not that up on what exactly Cleveland is looking for but I'm guessing that if they do finish up with Reynolds, they wouldn't have a need for Youkilis.

ETA: Update from Heyman: "#indians planning to go with youngster lonnie chisenhall at 3b. so reynolds deal takes Youk off cleveland's board"
    Cashman: "Hey Kevin-- what do you mean $12M? I said $1.2M. Yeah, get back to us and give us your answer. You have 30 seconds-- I have Nunez' mom on the other line. She's crying."
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

Quote Originally Posted by unfamous loser View Post
    I don't even think figuratively they've begged him though, which was my point.

they made him an offer and are letting him decide on it -- that's it. they haven't, from what I've seen reported, even had a Yankee or two call him and butter him up some (a typical move for this team and most that really, really are after a player) and the offer isn't ridiculously OTT itself either, even if one disagrees with it, given that it's for one year.
    I understand your points. Perhaps "resorting" would have been a better word choice on my part.

NYYF Legend

I am doing back flips with Reynolds off the board. I know that he was never seriously in play here, but I was quietly terrified. Fine with Youkilis, only really worried about his durability.
    Goin for 2<strike>7</strike>8!

Quote Originally Posted by goin for 27 View Post
    I am doing back flips with Reynolds off the board. I know that he was never seriously in play here, but I was quietly terrified. Fine with Youkilis, only really worried about his durability.
    I know I'm in the minority on this, and I know it's not purely rational, but I would have actually preferred Reynolds to Youkilis by a very large margin. I hope the Yankees pull that offer. I legitimately dislike Youkilis as a player. I'd rather they pull someone up from the minors.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    I know I'm in the minority on this, and I know it's not purely rational, but I would have actually preferred Reynolds to Youkilis by a very large margin. I hope the Yankees pull that offer. I legitimately dislike Youkilis as a player. I'd rather they pull someone up from the minors.
    I know that Reynolds is half price, but he is just such a strikeout machine. That, and an absolute butcher on defense. 15 games played at 3B last year, and 6 errors. Youkilis played 111 games at 3B last year, and had 9 errors.

I just can't stomach Reynolds.

I can't stand Youkilis, but I'm mentally preparing myself for having to root for him, much in the same way I was preparing myself in late 2008 when it appeared the Yankees were going to get Manny.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    I can't stand Youkilis, but I'm mentally preparing myself for having to root for him, much in the same way I was preparing myself in late 2008 when it appeared the Yankees were going to get Manny.

I am not a fan of Youk but I will have an easier time rooting for him than I had rooting for Boggs, Damon or Clemens when they put on the pinstripes.

Addicted Member

I think Youk is a good choice. He can play 3rd or 1st so even after ARod comes back he can give Tex some days off. He is a righty with some pop and would do a nice job at DH or coming off the bench. Some people don't like his attitude bitching at the umps at times but I think they may confusing attitude with competitiveness. Plus this is a one year deal.
    Yogi - Its tough to make predictions, especially about the future.

I dont like him either but I've rooted for other guys I've hated before too (Clemens, Sheffield, Mondesi, Canseco, Benitez etc) so I'd be able to do it for him. Whatever is best for the team I go with.

NYYF Legend

I expect Youk to be a Yankee in 2013
    The real reason why the Yankees keep winning is cause the other team can't stop staring at the damn pinstripes

NYYF Legend

I don't have a link, but I read somewhere that Youkilis was making his decision after the weekend, so either way.....we will know very soon.

What's the hate on Youkilis anyway? I can't remember him saying retarded stuff like Manny about us?

Quote Originally Posted by grizy View Post
    What's the hate on Youkilis anyway? I can't remember him saying retarded stuff like Manny about us?
    Until basically his final year in the Major leagues, Manny Ramirez was an elite, all time great hitter.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by grizy View Post
    Well, him and Joba would probably be on the same roster. Hehe

NYYF Legend

Dave Cameron suggested last night that with the $12M the Rays saved in the fleecing of the Royals, they should turn around and use it to sign Youk.

NYYF Legend

110 miles from the greatest Stadium on earth / Section 210

If he ends up in the Bronx, I hope he stops his whining and bitching about calls, hanging over the plate and that dumbass batting stance (wishful thinking that he'll stop....). I hope he doesn't end up here but slim pickins' I know.....

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    I am not a fan of Youk but I will have an easier time rooting for him than I had rooting for Boggs, Damon or Clemens when they put on the pinstripes.
    Not me, not even close. I actively rooted against those guys, and as a young fan Boggs gave me fits since Mattingly was my hero and Boggs was his batting title nemesis. But I respected his game, and was too young to let any of the off-field stuff affect my perception of him. Damon and Clemens - also actively rooted against those dudes, but never really had disdain for them.

Youkilis - again it's not purely rational, but I just cannot stand anything about that guy. His batting stance annoys me, watching him practice it on the top steps of the dugout annoys me, b*tching about every strike call annoys me. The only time I ever enjoyed watching him on the field was when Porcello was body slamming him behind the pitcher's mound.

It seems inevitable at this point. Not thrilled about it at all.

Not me, not even close. I actively rooted against those guys, and as a young fan Boggs gave me fits since Mattingly was my hero and Boggs was his batting title nemesis. But I respected his game, and was too young to let any of the off-field stuff affect my perception of him. Damon and Clemens - also actively rooted against those dudes, but never really had disdain for them.

Youkilis - again it's not purely rational, but I just cannot stand anything about that guy. His batting stance annoys me, watching him practice it on the top steps of the dugout annoys me, b*tching about every strike call annoys me. The only time I ever enjoyed watching him on the field was when Porcello was body slamming him behind the pitcher's mound.

It seems inevitable at this point. Not thrilled about it at all.
    Just watched that video. Wow. Porcello wrecked him
    EvilEmpireDC: Fans bitch about anything lol

Quote Originally Posted by goin for 27 View Post
    I know that Reynolds is half price, but he is just such a strikeout machine. That, and an absolute butcher on defense. 15 games played at 3B last year, and 6 errors. Youkilis played 111 games at 3B last year, and had 9 errors.

I just can't stomach Reynolds.
    Trust me, I didn't want Reynolds either. But given the choice...

Trust me, I didn't want Reynolds either. But given the choice...
    Oh, I would have much rather had Reynolds over Youk. I have a strange feeling Reynolds could hit in YS.
    EvilEmpireDC: Fans bitch about anything lol

Quote Originally Posted by snapple View Post
    Just watched that video. Wow. Porcello wrecked him
    You should see Mr. C's photoshop of that one. Priceless. And "The Shining" one.

Thread Information