+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Released Outright

Re: Kevin Youkilis ?

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    I agree with your points but if not Youk who else is out there. Right now the Yankees options for 3B are Nix and Nunez. I would think Youk would be a better option at third base than either of them. And as long as its a 1 year deal it does not effect the 2014 budget.
    I'd honestly prefer Nunez at 3rd over shelling out 12 million for Youkilis. Spend the $$$ on an OFer instead.

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Quote Originally Posted by d32123 View Post
    I'd honestly prefer Nunez at 3rd over shelling out 12 million for Youkilis. Spend the $$$ on an OFer instead.
    I agree with you on this fact.

Youklis has declined dramatically the last two seasons. His BA has dropped 70 points and his OPS 230 points in two years. Would we just see a continuation of this decline?

Although Nunez has displayed horrible defense, he has shown that he has a plus bat.

For the money, I would rather give Nunez the nod and see if we can use the dollars to fill the OF hole.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post

Youklis has declined dramatically the last two seasons. His BA has dropped 70 points and his OPS 230 points in two years. Would we just see a continuation of this decline?

Although Nunez has displayed horrible defense, he has shown that he has a plus bat.

For the money, I would rather give Nunez the nod and see if we can use the dollars to fill the OF hole.
    Plus bat is probably going a little far. He isnt a complete bum at the pate but he hasnt shown anything close to being a plus bat, especially if he is going to play a corner position.
    "Owning the Yankees," Steinbrenner once said, "is like owning the Mona Lisa." [SIZE=1] [/SIZE]

NYYF Legend

nunez's absolute ceiling is probably 2011 kevin youkilis with a little less power

do i double down on nunez growing into that role, or do i blow $12M on a far surer (yet declining) thing?
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

And I prefer the gas chamber to hanging.

Nunez needs to stay clear of the infield. I have no problem putting him in RF...he has enough raw ability to make most of the plays and can't turn an easy grounder into a run-scoring error at a critical time of the game. I'd also like to see what he can contribute offensively for an entire season. On top of that I have no problem letting the system fill the holes...I've had enough of old aging veterans.
    Let the kids play.

Quote Originally Posted by teknetic View Post
    Werd. It's basically $12M for an injury prone platoon player. It's just dumb.
    What's also dumb is that he has'nt said yes to the deal !
    What we can appreciate now is that the Yankees from 1996-2003 were even more extraordinary than we thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Sabbathia View Post
    I want no part of Youk. Not because he's a Red Sock or a hated rival, but because he's simply not the same player he used to be.

a) No longer a GG caliber 3B. The Red Sox realized this some time ago, and the failure of the Adrian Gonzalez signing was compounded by having to move Youk back across the diamond

b) 102, 120 and 122 games played the last 3 years. Guaranteed to be dinged up several times over the course of a full season

c) Has always been better against lefties, but it's become more pronounced in the last 2 years. Sometimes these things change, but it looks like the start of a bad trend

I wasn't upset about letting Chavez go, but to then turn around and offer $12m to this guy is completely insane. Cleveland's rumored offer is equally insane.
    Agree with every word of this, but I also don't want him because I can't stand him.

NYYF Triple Crown

Two beautiful rural acres in Windham, Maine

Quote Originally Posted by jnewmark View Post
    What's also dumb is that he has'nt said yes to the deal !
    Yes! Remember the days when players wanted to come here, put on the pinstripes, and have a shot at a ring? Now they can't make up their minds between that and the Cleveland Indians!
    Yankee fan living in Maine.

Released Outright

I wouldn't say plus bat, but more like league average. Which I find acceptable. And the crappiness of his D is greatly exaggerated.

NYYF Triple Crown

With the $12 million they offered Youkilis, the Yankees could have signed Chavez, Keppinger, and Nate Schierholtz this year, with only Keppinger being commited to more than one year.

That blows my mind that the Yankees didn't even make offers.

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY
    Mo bends. Mo don't break.

I wouldn't say plus bat, but more like league average. Which I find acceptable. And the crappiness of his D is greatly exaggerated.
    419 career innings at 3rd base with a UZR/150 of -29 and 9 errors ( over 162 probably works out to 30+ errors ).

Dude is flat out terrible with a glove in his hand.
    "Owning the Yankees," Steinbrenner once said, "is like owning the Mona Lisa." [SIZE=1] [/SIZE]

The gerbil lives Zimmers' Helmet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by b_joseph View Post
    419 career innings at 3rd base with a UZR/150 of -29 and 9 errors ( over 162 probably works out to 30+ errors ).

Dude is flat out terrible with a glove in his hand.
    Yup, yet some still choose to ignore the obvious. If he had an elite bat, it would make his defensive shortcomings easier to swallow. Unfortunately, that's not the case with Nunez.
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

Quote Originally Posted by TheGameEpisode2 View Post
    With the $12 million they offered Youkilis, the Yankees could have signed Chavez, Keppinger, and Nate Schierholtz this year, with only Keppinger being commited to more than one year.

That blows my mind that the Yankees didn't even make offers.
    This. The $12 million allotted to Youkilis could have been better spent at least re-signing Chavez and Ichiro. In fairness, I don't think Keppinger had any interest in being a Yankee.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmers' Helmet View Post
    This. The $12 million allotted to Youkilis could have been better spent at least re-signing Chavez and Ichiro. In fairness, I don't think Keppinger had any interest in being a Yankee.
    I think Chavez wanted to play closer to home. That might be why he chose the D Backs.

Why not sign Youk and make Nunez an outfielder?

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    I think Chavez wanted to play closer to home. That might be why he chose the D Backs.

Why not sign Youk and make Nunez an outfielder?
    I honestly believe that the Yankees have kept Nunez in the infield in hopes of keeping his trade value up - if they move him to the OF permanently, his trade value plummets.

Of course, if he can't stop a ball hit to him in the IF, his trade value isn't too high, either.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

And the crappiness of his D is greatly exaggerated.
    I'm not sure if age has stolen his reflexes yet, but I doubt Youk can handle the physical rigors of playing third on a regular basis. He'll be lucky to play 100 games. Back strain. Sore knee. Stiff neck. Guy's like a fifty-yr-old man. (I know.)

NYYF Legend

I honestly believe that the Yankees have kept Nunez in the infield in hopes of keeping his trade value up - if they move him to the OF permanently, his trade value plummets.

Of course, if he can't stop a ball hit to him in the IF, his trade value isn't too high, either.
    If he can play the OF better than the INF wouldn't that enhance his trade value?

From a purely business perspective, New York makes a ton of sense for Youkilis.

He'll play 3B for the first three months, and then spend the next three alternating between 3B, 1B, and DH. He'll have much better lineup protection than he would in Cleveland, and he'll play plenty of the high-intensity games he supposedly lives for. Despite all of the holes in the NYY lineup, they still stand a better chance at making the postseason than the Indians. Furthermore, the park factors are a wash. As much as YS is not a great place for righty pull hitters, Progressive Field plays as a pitchers park, with a 20 foot wall along the 325-370-405 dimensions of LF.

Furthermore, even a moderate rebound season will net him in 2013 FA a lot more than the $6 million difference between the total contract values. After next season, the only true 3Bs hitting FA are Martin Prado and Alberto Callaspo, not exactly Wright and Longoria.

If he chooses Cleveland it will be for some valid but fairly weak reasons. He can play with his old manager, he can probably guarantee more ABs, as well as be counted on as a key run producer. Last, he will be able to play in a low-pressure environment in his home state - although he is actually from the Cincinnati region.

If Youkilis ends up choosing Cleveland, it may be because he has serious doubts about his ability to be productive in the long-term. A player who wants to redeem himself should jump at the prospect of a 1-year deal in his age 34 season with a high-profile contender.
    SI: Do you have a secret ambition?
    Igawa: That's secret.

"They should just practice during the regular season and show up for the playoffs -Ichiro on the Yankees

Quote Originally Posted by Mark19 View Post
    If he chooses Cleveland it will be for some valid but fairly weak reasons. He can play with his old manager, he can probably guarantee more ABs, as well as be counted on as a key run producer. Last, he will be able to play in a low-pressure environment in his home state - although he is actually from the Cincinnati region.

If Youkilis ends up choosing Cleveland, it may be because he has serious doubts about his ability to be productive in the long-term. A player who wants to redeem himself should jump at the prospect of a 1-year deal in his age 34 season with a high-profile contender.
    Or it could simply be a matter of wanting to spend more time with his family in light of the fact that he's already made plenty of scratch and won a championship during his career.

I don't know, but my instincts tell me that he'll end up signing with Cleveland in light of the fact that he hasn't yet pounced on the Yankees generous 1 year offer.

NYYF Triple Crown

Two beautiful rural acres in Windham, Maine

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmers' Helmet View Post
    Or it could simply be a matter of wanting to spend more time with his family in light of the fact that he's already made plenty of scratch and won a championship during his career.

I don't know, but my instincts tell me that he'll end up signing with Cleveland in light of the fact that he hasn't yet pounced on the Yankees generous 1 year offer.
    If that's what he's really thinking, the guy isn't motivated enough to play for our club. If he's satisfied that he's he's already won his one championship ring, then all he's doing is mailing it in for the rest of his career, in which case I don't want him anywhere near our team.
    Yankee fan living in Maine.

Saying Nunez has a plus bat is hilarious.

Anyway, Youkilis would slot into the #2 spot of our lineup very nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by nickyrake View Post
    I'm not sure if age has stolen his reflexes yet, but I doubt Youk can handle the physical rigors of playing third on a regular basis. He'll be lucky to play 100 games. Back strain. Sore knee. Stiff neck. Guy's like a fifty-yr-old man. (I know.)
    How do you know? Are you 50? If so, are you comparably active?

Quote Originally Posted by rajah View Post
    How do you know? Are you 50? If so, are you comparably active?
    Yep, I'm 50 and I know once back problems start they don't go away. (No more baseball or soccer or basketball for me; I can still go out there and do it, then for no reason I'll get the shooting pain, the kind that stops you in your tracks—know the feeling?)

I think Youklis was out twice last year with the same lower back ailment; and none of his many injuries seemed the result of a collision or anything. You know, you get hurt swinging at a change up, you're starting to break down. Just watching him move, he didn't look like the same guy.

I may be wrong. I f he can stay healthy he can be an asset, first, third, dh. He was actually very amenable with the Sox, going back and forth to Pawtucket without complaint many times before he finally stuck in Boston; only recently they talk about him being cantankerous; (another sign of old age?) It just seems like the guy went from MVP candidate to liability in an awfully short time.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark19 View Post

He'll play 3B for the first three months, and then spend the next three alternating between 3B, 1B, and DH.
    Maybe that's the hold up. Seems to me he wouldn't accept a part time role in Boston.

How sad it is that we've gotten to the point of begging Kevin Youkilis to come play for us. And despite throwing money at him, he's not sure if he'd rather play in Cleveland.

Thread Information