+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Kevin Youkilis ?

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/stor...ording-sources

Sorry if this has been posted elsewhere, but, man, Kevin in pinstripes ? What do ya think ?
    What we can appreciate now is that the Yankees from 1996-2003 were even more extraordinary than we thought.

NYYF Triple Crown

Re: Kevin Youkilis ?

Desperation, lean pickins', and money constraints makes for strange bedfellows sometimes.

Although $12M ain't all that constrained.
    Jimmy G. (Seniority 03/28/1994)
    1994-2008: Main Res MVP Sec. 14, Row G
    2009: Section 330, Row 6
    2010: Section 233A, Row 20
    2011: Section 229, Row 16 *All Sunday Plans*
    2012: No longer STH, liberated!

NYYF Legend

Bit of an over pay for a player in decline but better to overpay slightly on 1 year deal than over pay on multi year deal I guess. We'll see what happens. If it really is 1/$12M I'd be surprise if he turned that down.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

I can see Youk in pinstripes with a shaved face, easier than I can see the Yankees paying 12M to get him.
    “Everything looks nicer when you win. The girls are prettier, the cigars taste better. The trees are greener.”—Billy Martin

NYYF Cy Young

Okay with it on a 1 year deal. He's got something to prove.
    Attention Steinbrenner and front-office morons! Your triumphs mean nothing. You all stink. You can sit on it, and rotate! This is George Costanza. I fear no reprisal. Extension 5-1-7-0.

I'm surprised he has'nt jumped on it already. Who else would offer 12 mil ?
    What we can appreciate now is that the Yankees from 1996-2003 were even more extraordinary than we thought.

He stopped hitting right handed pitching the last 2 years. He's a platoon player if those numbers keep up and he is the less valuable side of it. Seems like a lot of money for that and I don't see who the other half is going to be.

NYYF Cy Young

I think it's a bit of an overpay but think he is a great fit. He will have a major chip on his shoulder to put up a big year.

Edit: PS this is my first post in 2 years - getting used to the "new" (for me anyway) site layout but looking good!

I hate him. more than I hated damon. and he hasnt done anything as bad to us as the grand slam in game 7 2004 alcs.

so that speaks to how much i hate him. and $12 million is a crap load of money considering his last 2 years.

but I just have this feeling in my gut, if he signs here, he will have a fantastic season.
    Twenty Seven and Counting.

Released Outright

Not sure he's worth 12 million honestly. Could care less that he's an ex-Boston player but I'm not sure if he could provide the production we'd be looking for for that much $.

NYYF Legend

Would Youk on the Yankees be as big of a shock as seeing Boggs, Damon and Clemens in the pinstripes? Not really. If he does sign I wonder if they will let Joba pitch batting practice to him.

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    Would Youk on the Yankees be as big of a shock as seeing Boggs, Damon and Clemens in the pinstripes? Not really. If he does sign I wonder if they will let Joba pitch batting practice to him.
    I was at that game with my 3 boys. 2-balls right behind the Youks ear! I guess he won't be taking the locker next to Joba!
    Yogi - “It’s tough to make predictions, especially about the future.”

Would Youk on the Yankees be as big of a shock as seeing Boggs, Damon and Clemens in the pinstripes?
    Or Phil Esposito on the Rangers.

And I'm not even a hockey fan.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by jnewmark View Post
    I'm surprised he has'nt jumped on it already. Who else would offer 12 mil ?
    No one. No one else is this desparate.

That said, he has a multi year offer from Cleveland, (imagine it is only 2) it would reunite him with Francona (not sure of the bearing) and he is from Ohio. (That could be a lure)
    Goin for 2<strike>7</strike>8!

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Or Phil Esposito on the Rangers.

And I'm not even a hockey fan.
    Heck, I was shocked to see Esposito in a Bruins uniform after all those years with the Blackhawks. Gotta admit Boston fans did have one of the best hockey bumper stickers, it said: .... Jesus Saves - Esposito Scores on the Rebound!
    Yogi - “It’s tough to make predictions, especially about the future.”

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by goin for 27 View Post
    No one. No one else is this desparate.

That said, he has a multi year offer from Cleveland, (imagine it is only 2) it would reunite him with Francona (not sure of the bearing) and he is from Ohio. (That could be a lure)
    It's an interesting choice for Youkilis -- go with a manager and location he is comfortable with (and get a multi-year deal) or go to a team that can potentially win and get the chance to stick it to the Red Sox
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

Cleveland could win next year. He might look at the Yankees and fail to be convinced that we can win.

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by justtxyank View Post
    Cleveland could win next year. He might look at the Yankees and fail to be convinced that we can win.
    That seems like a bit of a reach.

I get it if he takes the security, but if he thinks Cleveland has a better chance to win next year, he's got a strong imagination
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

Addicted Member

I had minor heartburn with Boggs. Damon was okay. I survived Clemens because he came via Toronto. But Youkilis in pinstripes is just wrong for $12M reasons..

NYYF Triple Crown

I've always liked his style. Extremely patient at the plate. Wears out opposing pitchers arms.

My kind of hitter.

If they do sign him, they'd probably be wise to let him keep his beard, despite the Team rules. His face is a thousand times worse than Bret Gardners Great Gazoo head. The beard actually helps.
    Whatever you think...
    Well, you're wrong.

With what is left and what we need, he fits. Can play 3B/1B/DH.
    Speak softly but carry a big stick.

Devoted Member

Quote Originally Posted by DJ27 View Post
    With what is left and what we need, he fits. Can play 3B/1B/DH.
    He'd fit what we need, but $12MM/yr seems way high for his recent production. I would have guessed more around $7-8MM/yr.

And I agree, let him keep the beard.

NYYF Legend

Probably posted elsewhere, but if he signs....$40M in payroll at 3B next year.
    Goin for 2<strike>7</strike>8!

Out of all the former Sox that came to play here, I can honestly say that for me, he will take the longest to warm to.

I really don't like him at all.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

Thread Information