+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Re: Alex Rodriguez To Have Hip Surgery- Miss Part of 2013 Season

You can be sure that not only would a lot of people have to play along for a-rod to be kept out when he's healthy enough to play, but with so much money at stake the insurer surely has the right to arrange their own medical examination. Seems awfully unlikely the Yankees could successfully pull off some kind of fraud with arod, even if they were inclined to try it.

At any rate, as others have suggested, I think this is Cashman simply acknowledging that there are no guarantees with a surgery this serious, and a much more prolonged recovery is always a possibility.

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by nyyfan61 View Post
    Feel free to link me somewhere if I'm wrong, but it sounded to me like this was a noncommittal statement from Cashman that was blown WAY out of proportion. The headlines were all "Cashman says A-Rod might miss the year," but IMO his statement was more "well, yeah, worst-case scenario he could miss the year, but we don't really expect that." i.e. just hedging his bets, not really presenting new information.

I hate to see anyone get injured, but wiggling out of a year of that contract somehow sure would be nice...
    Exactly. This is a non-story. When he was asked whether he thought A-Rod could miss the entire season, does anybody, including the interviewers, really believe for one second that Cashman would have said, "No, there's no possibility he could miss the entire season."

In reality, it might be the best possible outcome for all involved if Arod never hits the field again. The Yanks get out from under the horrific contract and Arod won't have to endure playing as a shell of his former self.

Of course, there's always the possibility that with the new found ROM in the hip he rakes again, but I'd take the under on that
    MICRO PASSIVE/MICRO AGRESSIVE

Addicted Member

I'd rather he sits out the whole season and comes back strong in 2014. Let's face it, he's not going anywhere unless he retires so we might as well hope they take the safe route and get something out of him for the rest of his time in pinstripes.

I don't expect Youkilis to perform any miracles, but let's say the team is in a playoff position and Yuk is playing ok. HAving A-Rod as a DH would be nice, but I think it would just be too much of a distraction. This is of course contingent of the hypothesis that they're playing well and not in need of a major shake-up...which likely isn't that realistic.
    [size=1]October 16, 2003: After rallying to come back from a two-run deficit in Game 6, winning 9-6, the Red Sox painted the World Series logo on the field at Fenway Park.[/size]

I think Arod is going to play this season. Not sure how be rebounds, but I think he returns.

Quote Originally Posted by ieddyi View Post
    it might be the best possible outcome for all involved if Arod never hits the field again.
    The best possible outcome for all involved is he comes back at the break and rips the cover off the ball (relative to last year).
    “Everything looks nicer when you win. The girls are prettier, the cigars taste better. The trees are greener.”—Billy Martin

RUH ROH

AL implicated in new doping scandal

"Born and raised in Miami and starring on the diamond since he was 18 years old, A-Rod admitted in 2009 that he had used steroids, claiming in an ESPN interview that his doping was limited to a three-year window — 2001 through 2003 — while he played under a record contract for the Texas Rangers. Ever since then, A-Rod claimed, he'd been playing clean. He'd never failed an MLB drug test since penalties were put into place.

Yet there was his name, over and over again, logged as either "Alex Rodriguez," "Alex Rod," or his nickname at the clinic, "Cacique," a pre-Columbian Caribbean chief. Rodriguez's name appears 16 times throughout the records New Times reviewed.

Take, for instance, one patient list from Bosch's 2009 personal notebook. It charts more than 50 clients and notes whether they received their drugs by delivery or in the office, how much they paid, and what they were taking.

There, at number seven on the list, is Alex Rodriguez. He paid $3,500, Bosch notes. Below that, he writes, "1.5/1.5 HGH (sports perf.) creams test., glut., MIC, supplement, sports perf. Diet." HGH, of course, is banned in baseball, as are testosterone creams.

That's not the only damning evidence against A-Rod, though. Another document from the files, a loose sheet with a header from the 19th Annual World Congress on Anti-Aging and Aesthetic Medicine, lays out a full regimen under the name Cacique: "Test. cream... troches prior to workout... and GHRP... IGF-1... pink cream."

IGF-1 is a banned substance in baseball that stimulates insulin production and muscle growth. Elsewhere in his notebook, Bosch spells out that his "troches," a type of drug lozenge, include 15 percent testosterone; pink cream, he writes, is a complex formula that also includes testosterone. GHRP is a substance that releases growth hormones.

There's more evidence. On a 2009 client list, near A-Rod's name, is that of Yuri Sucart, who paid Bosch $500 for a weeklong supply of HGH. Sucart is famous to anyone who has followed baseball's steroid scandal. Soon after A-Rod's admission, the slugger admitted that Sucart — his cousin and close friend — was the mule who provided the superstar his drugs. In 2009, the same year this notebook was written, Sucart (who lives in South Miami and didn't respond to a message left at his home) was banned from all Yankees facilities.

The mentions of Rodriguez begin in 2009 and continue all the way through last season. Take a page in another notebook, which is labeled "2012" and looks to have been written last spring. Under the heading "A-Rod/Cacique," Bosch writes, "He is paid through April 30th. He will owe May 1 $4,000... I need to see him between April 13-19, deliver troches, pink cream, and... May meds. Has three weeks of Sub-Q (as of April)."

Elsewhere in his notebooks, Bosch writes that "Sub-Q" refers to his mixture of HGH, IGF-1, and other drugs.

The notebooks and client lists aren't the only evidence linking Rodriguez to Bosch. Former employees say Bosch would openly brag about selling drugs to Rodriguez.

"He was always talking about A-Rod," says one former employee who asked not to be named. "We never saw any athletes in the office, so we didn't know if he was just talking bull................ or not. But he would brag about how tight they were."
    "

http://www.miaminewtimes.com/2013-01...st-names/full/

MLB will investigate- again the best possible outcome for all involved ( assuming this evidence pans out ) would be for Al never to play for the Yanks again

would be for Al never to play for the Yanks again
    I guarentee he plays for the Yankees again.
    “Begin each day as if it were on purpose........”—Alex Hitchens

Quote Originally Posted by effdamets View Post
    I guarentee he plays for the Yankees again.
    You're probably right, but who knows- this story is just starting. I wasn't guessing, just stating the obvious. Even if he were to come back and mash, it'll still be a negative sh*tstorm

Maybe BudLite will suspend him while he's rehabbing.....

Maybe BudLite will suspend him while he's rehabbing.....
    No chance.
    Pud Selig is salivating right now.
    He has another chance here to stick it to the Yankees.
    My guess is that since Alex is on the 60 day DL and not part of the 40 man roster at the moment, his suspension will not be served until he is put on it.....

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

No chance.
    My guess is that since Alex is on the 60 day DL and not part of the 40 man roster at the moment, his suspension will not be served until he is put on it.....
    I don't think it has anything to do with sticking it to the Yankees - I think that's the rule. I remember this happening with other suspensions as well
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Fan in Boston View Post
    I don't think it has anything to do with sticking it to the Yankees - I think that's the rule. I remember this happening with other suspensions as well
    That's just my hatred for Selig peeking through.

When is Arod not in the spotlight?

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?se...all&id=8972193

NYYF Legend

No chance.
    There is no DL in the off season. Alex is absolutely on the 40-man as of today.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Arod's contract can't end soon enough...

'Kick ass. Pop champagne. And get some ho's.'

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by NYYFAN View Post
    Arod's contract can't end soon enough...
    If this is true, will the Yanks still owe him the remainder of his contact?

Quote Originally Posted by Sixty one View Post
    If this is true, will the Yanks still owe him the remainder of his contact?
    Yes, despite some folks' fantasy that they can somehow void it, despite the CBA
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

No chance.

"Update Part Deux: It’s worth noting that players can be suspended for “possession” of PEDs according to the Joint Drug Agreement. There does not have to be a failed test. There’s even a whole section on how to appeal a suspension without a failed test. Several players, including Edinson Volquez, were allowed to serve PED-related suspensions while on the DL."

RAB

Now all they have to do is prove how a piece of paper = possession

"Update Part Deux: It’s worth noting that players can be suspended for “possession” of PEDs according to the Joint Drug Agreement. There does not have to be a failed test. There’s even a whole section on how to appeal a suspension without a failed test. Several players, including Edinson Volquez, were allowed to serve PED-related suspensions while on the DL."

RAB
    Does he have some on him right now that you know about or something?
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

RAB
    I think the bottom line is that this is all going to take a while to play out, especially with an ongoing investigation

Addicted Member

Tom Verducci

But the bigger shoe to fall is the one belonging to commissioner Bud Selig. The notebooks of Anthony Bosch are figuratively on his desk at this very moment. The man who in union with the players association has crafted the toughest anti-PED policies in pro sports has the power to suspend the players even without a positive test.
    Under section 7.G.2 of the Joint Drug Agreement, the commissioner can rule for disciplinary action against a player for "just cause" in the cases of violations not specifically referenced in the JDA. Prescriptions and records of PED use and purchase fall under the "just cause" umbrella.
    In 2009, for instance, Manny Ramirez entered an appeal of a test that showed an elevated level of testosterone. When an investigation of that appeal turned up a prescription from a doctor for a banned substance, Ramirez dropped his appeal and accepted the 50-game suspension. Ramirez was not banned because of the test, which technically was not entered as a positive, but because of the records of his prescription for hCG, a female fertility drug often used to kickstart testosterone production after steroid cycles.
    Ramirez's doctor? Pedro Bosch, the father of Anthony Bosch.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mlb...2_a2&eref=sihp

Quote Originally Posted by 1970cs View Post
    Seems like it's be easy enough to verify that the notes were in Bosch's handwriting. Hard to imagine that Al would be dumb enough to actually go to the clinic, and you have to also assume he paid in cash.

Maybe Bosch is on a "paid" vacation

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Fan in Boston View Post
    Yes, despite some folks' fantasy that they can somehow void it, despite the CBA
    Here's a question - do the Yankees still have to pay his salary while he's suspended? Sounds silly, but in the event that his suspension makes him ineligible to draw salary, that might actually save the Yankees $8m or so in salary, wouldn't it?

I guess the answer is probably 'no', but . . . (And now I have a 'Producers' scam in mind - sign a player, insure his contract for 100% of his salary, declare him injured, then get him a PED suspension. Voila - insurance pays out, but you don't pay him. Profit!)

Be seeing you,

Saxmania
    Mayonnaise is a demanding master.

Quote Originally Posted by Saxmania View Post
    Here's a question - do the Yankees still have to pay his salary while he's suspended? Sounds silly, but in the event that his suspension makes him ineligible to draw salary, that might actually save the Yankees $8m or so in salary, wouldn't it?

I guess the answer is probably 'no', but . . . (And now I have a 'Producers' scam in mind - sign a player, insure his contract for 100% of his salary, declare him injured, then get him a PED suspension. Voila - insurance pays out, but you don't pay him. Profit!)

Be seeing you,

Saxmania
    He loses his salary while suspended

I asked the question in the other thread about whether the money they don't pay him would still be used to calculate his AAv for cap purposes

Thread Information