+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: News Corporationís Bid for a Stake in YES Would Value Channel at $3 Billion

Quote Originally Posted by hardrain View Post
    I fear this is the beginning of the end.
    Why so?

Sandomir thinks the Steinbrenners remain the owners of the Yankees due to tax reasons. Furthermore, the Yankees are too much of a cash cow to get rid of now.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/24/sp...s&emc=rss&_r=0
    Poor ownership can hold a baseball team down for years!

Quote Originally Posted by philleotardo View Post
    Corporate America is unethical? No ess.

And I'll cut all the chase out for you and get myself in trouble. I'm not a liberal but I will cheer the day Rupert Murdoch dies, knowing full well it would change nothing about how his operation does business. It is a tragedy that the Yankees will have any affiliation with these scumbags.

Not being argumentative, but what exactly has Murdoch and his organization done that makes you feel so strongly about him?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdvM0IB5Sbs

MICRO PASSIVE/MICRO AGGRESSIVE

Quote Originally Posted by ieddyi View Post
    Not being argumentative, but what exactly has Murdoch and his organization done that makes you feel so strongly about him?
    After careful consideration, I've decided not to be a dick about any of this.
    Don't tease me, you know what I do for a living.

First Name: Keninovich hardrain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    Why so?

Sandomir thinks the Steinbrenners remain the owners of the Yankees due to tax reasons. Furthermore, the Yankees are too much of a cash cow to get rid of now.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/24/sp...s&emc=rss&_r=0
    You said it all right there. You answered your own question. Hal is in it "due to tax reasons" and the team is "a cash cow."

George was in it to win.
    We toast to the old days and DiMaggio too,
    Billy Martin and Mantle, Whitey Ford and to you

You said it all right there. You answered your own question. Hal is in it "due to tax reasons" and the team is "a cash cow."

George was in it to win.
    But, aren't they smart enough to realize that there's a direct correlation between the winning and being a cash cow?

When the Yanks sucked, attendance was abysmal. The string of division titles and assurance of being a playoff contender has a lot to do with it

The flip side was Georges decisions in his pursuit of winning that blew up in his face

I loved Georges attitude, but maybe the best mix would be a combination of his desire to win along with a more prudent model that recognizes the need for a strong farm system and player development

If they actually do get under the $189M in 2014, it'll be interesting to see what they do after that. My understanding is that they could then spend tons of cash w/o serious luxury tax implications till the end of the current CBA
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdvM0IB5Sbs

MICRO PASSIVE/MICRO AGGRESSIVE

George was in it to win.
    However, it's a cash cow due to 3.5M attendance and good TV ratings which are directly tied into winning baseball teams. If the latter doesn't happen then the former two decreases which lessens the cash cow and the value of the franchise.

And please spare me the revisionist status of George as some kind hero to Yankee fans for only caring about winning when 20 years ago, most Yankee fans were glad he was banned from the team. George has his warts too.

And please spare me the revisionist status of George as some kind hero to Yankee fans for only caring about winning when 20 years ago, most Yankee fans were glad he was banned from the team. George has his warts too.
    There is something to be said about wanting the team to win over wanting to make money. Of course George had his faults, many of them, but more people could use a good dose of his desire to win being first priority.

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

However, it's a cash cow due to 3.5M attendance and good TV ratings which are directly tied into winning baseball teams. If the latter doesn't happen then the former two decreases which lessens the cash cow and the value of the franchise.

Actually, the TV ratings has nothing to do with the TV rights fees.

As was announced in the Rupert deal, YES has the rights for the Yankee broadcast through 2042 (yes, that is for thirty years) at a price that escalates 5% per year from the current $85M up to $350M at the end of the contract - in essence, regardless of how the team does on the field, the team will have significant cash flow from the TV rights package annually.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post
    Actually, the TV ratings has nothing to do with the TV rights fees.

As was announced in the Rupert deal, YES has the rights for the Yankee broadcast through 2042 (yes, that is for thirty years) at a price that escalates 5% per year from the current $85M up to $350M at the end of the contract - in essence, regardless of how the team does on the field, the team will have significant cash flow from the TV rights package annually.
    As long as the Yankees have a vested interest in YES, it still affects how much advertising dollars they get from YES along with the rest of their partners.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    There is something to be said about wanting the team to win over wanting to make money. Of course George had his faults, many of them, but more people could use a good dose of his desire to win being first priority.
    It's easy for fans to say that since they don't have a vested interest in the team. Furthermore, over the many years, George made his share of mistakes with some disregard to winning at all cost.

Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar

George may have wanted to win, but he was a large reason for when we didn't and it was no coincidence that the two winning periods under his ownership came after his two- two year bans from the game.
    Life is good!

It's easy for fans to say that since they don't have a vested interest in the team. Furthermore, over the many years, George made his share of mistakes with some disregard to winning at all cost.
    I'm not suggesting that his entire approach should be taken. However it wouldn't hurt for more owners to have part of his fire. Contained, with a bankroll well spent, can be devastating to the competition.
    Boo for trading Prado.

Thread Information