+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    It's About the Money

Re: Girardi deserves serious MotY consideration

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    You're complaining that Girardi didn't get more consideration. You're minimizing Showalter's impact by saying his GM loaded up the rotation/pen and his offense hit a bushel of HRs. You're going to need to explain one in light of the other if you want your point to be heard.
    It seems like you kind of just did that for me.

Yankee Stadium: 1923-2008 DiMaggio5CF's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brien Jackson View Post
    Is that really true?
    Yes. .
    27-Time World Champions

NYYF Legend

If our first-half and second half results had been reversed, JG might have had a shot. But a high-expectation team that blows a ten-game lead to pull off the division on the last day is the exact opposite of a Cinderella story. And MOY is all about the Cinderella.
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

It seems like you kind of just did that for me.
    LOL ok. So Girardi is a hero for having solid pitching assembled by his GM and a lineup that hit HR, but Showalter is meh for those same reasons.

How many wins did you foresee Showlater getting out of that roster this season?

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Quote Originally Posted by theDurk View Post
    If our first-half and second half results had been reversed, JG might have had a shot. But a high-expectation team that blows a ten-game lead to pull off the division on the last day is the exact opposite of a Cinderella story. And MOY is all about the Cinderella.
    Totally agree - if the Yankees had come from 10 back at the ASB, I could see consideration.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

I didn't say Girardi deserved to win, I basically said he should have finished in the the top 3 (how Ventura finishes ahead of him I honestly have no idea).
    Hang on a second. So you're not even arguing about the Manager of the Year award per se; you're arguing that "the final nail in the coffin of any semblance of meaning that award had left" has to do with who finishes third?
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Quote Originally Posted by grizy View Post
    Showalter took a team of nobodies to ALDS. He and Bob Melvin have to be the front runners for AL MOTY.
    I'm not sure I agree that the O's were a team of nobodies. I give Showalter a lot of credit because he made it work with what he had, but guys like Jones, Weiters, Davis, Hammel, Strop, Hunter, Pomeranz, Hardy, Machado, Markakis are NOT nobodies. There is a lot of talent on that team. I'm afraid of Bundy next year.
    Boo for trading Prado.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    I'm not sure I agree that the O's were a team of nobodies. I give Showalter a lot of credit because he made it work with what he had, but guys like Jones, Weiters, Davis, Hammel, Strop, Hunter, Pomeranz, Hardy, Machado, Markakis are NOT nobodies. There is a lot of talent on that team. I'm afraid of Bundy next year.
    I agree -the talent has been there for awhile now. I used to watch them and wonder why they were the whipping boys of the AL East, but part of the problem seemed to be the ridiculous errors they made. Baserunning, not calling for a pop-up, missing the cut-off man.....stuff like that I didn't see much of this past year. Showalter found the right buttons to push and the right line-up. The situation with the Nats was similar - Davey Johnson was the difference, IMO.
    September 28, 2008 - the day the HOF got a wake-up Moose call.

Thread Information