+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 6 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast
    Forum Regular

Re: 2013 World Baseball Classic Thread

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/s...matchup-031513
    Rumblings surfaced Friday that some Team USA players were upset by the on-field celebrations of the Dominican Republic in their World Baseball Classic matchup on Thursday night. No U.S. player openly admitted to being ticked at the Dominicans, though some noted that they would like to see those players perform as passionately for their major-league teams as they do for their country. ....
    Interesting. Not sure how to take this...
    "Chicks dig the well executed hit and run play?"

Quote Originally Posted by NewOrioleWork View Post
    So, what positives can we take away from this experience?
    Joe Torre no longer manages my favorite team.

oh god joe torre is so bad
    always reasonable

The Sausage King of Chicago Abe Frohman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OlgMvp View Post
    The domincans have sparked my interest...in a bad way. Talk about showboats and arrogant jerkoffs. I wish they'd dust these guys, they carry themselves like children, I really cannot stand them. If the US does not advance, I really just want to make sure the dominicans do not win.
    Stop hating.

Baseball may very well be the " American Pastime " but the sport is played worldwide. People perceive and interpret everything in different ways, Baseball, and how a player should act on the field is no different. If you'd ever take the time to open up your mind and maybe watch a Dominican Winterball game, in which you may see quite a few American players tuning up for the next season ( Andy Dirks ), you'd realize that what you call " showboating " and " arrogance " is simply how we do it.

Baseball is in the blood that runs thru the veins of my country. All we do is play baseball ... 24 / 7 365. You see kids like Jose Reyes, Robinson Cano, Erick Aybar ? These are kids that cam from NOTHING. desolate poverty, kids that would wake up and head to the ball field on an empty stomach ... Those guys and many others are living the dream. Living proof that if you want something bad enough and you put your blood sweat and tears into it, it can happen.

Im proud to say that of the top 10 players in the MLB right now, atleast 3 are Dominican. That makes me really proud cause i know where they came from and the monumental trials and tribulations they overcame to get where they are.

We dance.

We jump around.

We show out ... but most importantly we have fun. We play Baseball with heart and soul and it shows.

At Dominican Winterball games there are 5-7 CHEERLEADERS dancing on top of the dugout in between innings.

CHEERLEADERS. Gorgeous women. its all apart of the show.

Accept that not everyone buys into that Americana, do it the right way, Derek Jeter crap that a lot of times hampers a player by not allowing them to be themselves.

That corporate, clean cut, goody two shoes image fits Derek Jeter well, but not everyone is Derek Jeter, and not everyone wants to be.

You ask why a lot of players wont even consider playing for the Yankees ???

This is EXACTLY why. David Price said it recently that he wouldnt sign here because of the facial hair thing. Baseball already has enough rules, Teams shouldnt have to impose their own personal rules to project a certain image thats not even real.

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeFan1421 View Post
    Honestly i like watching the domicans and the enthusiasm they have. Personally I don't read it as arrogance...I think they are extremely prideful and want to win in the worst way. Tony pena was crying...the fans were going crazy. I think its actually refreshing in contrast to the silence and robotic like play we see so often during a 162 game mlb schedule.

I know they break "the code" with a lot of that stuff but I was happy for them. Lets face it...the us doesn't really care anyway.
    Thank you sir.

That " code " youre referring to is restrictive to the players and their individual/ cultural/regional personalities and influences.

Rumblings surfaced Friday that some Team USA players were upset by the on-field celebrations of the Dominican Republic in their World Baseball Classic matchup on Thursday night.

No U.S. player openly admitted to being ticked at the Dominicans, though some noted that they would like to see those players perform as passionately for their major-league teams as they do for their country.
    More hating. The US players just wanted to win, and they didnt. simple as that.

Sour Grapes.

Trust me, if players could express themselves freely and openly in the MLB, they would ... and it wouldnt matter which country they were from.

Not sure wtf the US players meant by " theyd like to see those players perform as passionately for their major-league teams as they do for their country. "

If it was possible, they would.

This all lends itself to American Culture in general and the longgggggg list of things that are deemed inappropriate in public and in the media.

Loosen up ... You only have one life to live. So if i hit a Homerun, im going to enjoy that damn Homerun to the fullest ... let me be.
    ? Can switching to Geico really save you 15 % or more on car insurance ? ? Does the postman always ring twice ?

I agree with this post............then again I'm Canadian...........and apparently we're arrogant when we win in Hockey...........and we're bush league,beer swilling,fighting rednecks in baseball........

"Happy Wife.........Happy Life" - unknown

NYYF Legend

I'm with Abe. I loved seeing the enthusiasm the DR boys brought. I'd like to see more of it. Nothing gets the blood going like playing for the flag; I wish the US showed more of it.

I'm pretty sure that Fox non-quote was a set up.

FAUX-Sports Reporter: "So you think it would be okay if some of the same enthusiasm carried over into how they play in the MLB?"

US Player: "Not what I was talking about...but ok..."

FSR to producer: "Give me 2 minutes at six, I gotta story!"
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

Quote Originally Posted by Abe Frohman View Post
    Accept that not everyone buys into that Americana, do it the right way, Derek Jeter crap that a lot of times hampers a player by not allowing them to be themselves.
    Stop hating

Perhaps you're being just a little sensitive and defensive?
    Last edited by ArodEra; 03-16-13 at 06:49 PM.

Stop hating.

Baseball may very well be the " American Pastime " but the sport is played worldwide. People perceive and interpret everything in different ways, Baseball, and how a player should act on the field is no different. If you'd ever take the time to open up your mind and maybe watch a Dominican Winterball game, in which you may see quite a few American players tuning up for the next season ( Andy Dirks ), you'd realize that what you call " showboating " and " arrogance " is simply how we do it.

Baseball is in the blood that runs thru the veins of my country. All we do is play baseball ... 24 / 7 365. You see kids like Jose Reyes, Robinson Cano, Erick Aybar ? These are kids that cam from NOTHING. desolate poverty, kids that would wake up and head to the ball field on an empty stomach ... Those guys and many others are living the dream. Living proof that if you want something bad enough and you put your blood sweat and tears into it, it can happen.

Im proud to say that of the top 10 players in the MLB right now, atleast 3 are Dominican. That makes me really proud cause i know where they came from and the monumental trials and tribulations they overcame to get where they are.

We dance.

We jump around.

We show out ... but most importantly we have fun. We play Baseball with heart and soul and it shows.

At Dominican Winterball games there are 5-7 CHEERLEADERS dancing on top of the dugout in between innings.

CHEERLEADERS. Gorgeous women. its all apart of the show.

That corporate, clean cut, goody two shoes image fits Derek Jeter well, but not everyone is Derek Jeter, and not everyone wants to be.

You ask why a lot of players wont even consider playing for the Yankees ???

This is EXACTLY why. David Price said it recently that he wouldnt sign here because of the facial hair thing. Baseball already has enough rules, Teams shouldnt have to impose their own personal rules to project a certain image thats not even real.

Thank you sir.

That " code " youre referring to is restrictive to the players and their individual/ cultural/regional personalities and influences.

More hating. The US players just wanted to win, and they didnt. simple as that.

Sour Grapes.

Trust me, if players could express themselves freely and openly in the MLB, they would ... and it wouldnt matter which country they were from.

Not sure wtf the US players meant by " theyd like to see those players perform as passionately for their major-league teams as they do for their country. "

If it was possible, they would.

This all lends itself to American Culture in general and the longgggggg list of things that are deemed inappropriate in public and in the media.

Loosen up ... You only have one life to live. So if i hit a Homerun, im going to enjoy that damn Homerun to the fullest ... let me be.
    The thing is, I wouldn't criticize the way the Yankees do things either. Obviously the way they do things..with the somewhat corporate image and the Jeterian cool has worked incredibly well for them. When people rip that I think it's misguided.

I think one of the cool things about the WBC is seeing how different cultures love baseball but through very different lenses. Japan, for example, is probably polar opposite to the DR in its demeanor and shows of expression.

I don't think any of them are inherently better or worse, but I did appreciate the raw enthusiasm and joy that the DR was exhibiting...just as I appreciate a lot of how Japan approaches the game.

The WBC has a lot of flaws and who knows what form it will take in the future, but i have really enjoyed it a lot more than I would tedious grapefruit league games.

The Championship rounds in San Francisco will be a treat.

The Dominican Republic will have revenge and redemption on their minds as they take on the Netherlands.

The Dutch will like to repeat their shocking win over La Republica Dominicana in Round 1 beating them twice in the 2009 World Baseball Classic tournament while Tony Pena, Jose Reyes, Robinson Cano and company want to reach the finals for the first time in their WBC history.

The Dominican Republic is the only team left that has yet to lose a single ballgame in the 2013 WBC tournament.

Meanwhile, Japan takes on Puerto Rico where PR wants to deny Japan a chance to make the WBC finals in the WBC's first three years.

However, the first two WBC tournament champions are coming into the semifinals as the best hitting team left in the tournament with a .294 average and having the most runs with 43. PR has the worst batting average of the four with a .224 clip and scoring 20.

Puerto Rico would like to counter Japan's hitting with their pitching.
    "Losing is not my enemy, fear of losing is my enemy." - Tennis champion Rafael Nadal

Forum Regular

Quote Originally Posted by theDurk View Post
    I'm pretty sure that Fox non-quote was a set up.
    Well... http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/17/sp...ssic.html?_r=0
    Perhaps not, but the continual celebrating did not sit well with some of the United States players. Brandon Phillips, the Americans’ second baseman, said several of them had been upset with the Dominicans’ show. If this were the major leagues, their style might be viewed as less than exhibition of fun and more a violation of the unwritten rules of baseball etiquette. “I don’t think my dad would let me play the next day if I did that growing up,” said Willie Bloomquist, adding that he viewed all the celebrating as disrespectful. ... But Phillips, too, is a character, brash and outspoken. “If I was on their team, I would fit right in,” he said, smiling. “Y’all have seen me play during the season. Y’all know I’m into some sort of antics.” He added: “But I don’t think I could have been like that, though. If I think something is over the top, then that’s a problem.”
    Of course, all of that misses the bigger point. If the US had played well, they would not have had to witness the DR's celebrations in the first place, so...
    "Chicks dig the well executed hit and run play?"

You can't have an international event with different cultures and expect everyone to celebrate Americas Past time the American way..............sour grapes........

Quote Originally Posted by montrealer View Post
    You can't have an international event with different cultures and expect everyone to celebrate Americas Past time the American way..............sour grapes........
    yeah, that's the part that I find kind of annoying. And this is from a white boy who grew up right here in the US.

Not sure who we are...or any country is...for dictating how other countries should or should not celebrate and approach the game in an international tournament.

I understand why 'the code' exists in the major leagues and I understand that there are unwritten rules about behavior and all that. But this isn't the major leagues, this is country vs country in a world tournament.

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeFan1421 View Post
    yeah, that's the part that I find kind of annoying. And this is from a white boy who grew up right here in the US.

Not sure who we are...or any country is...for dictating how other countries should or should not celebrate and approach the game in an international tournament.

I understand why 'the code' exists in the major leagues and I understand that there are unwritten rules about behavior and all that. But this isn't the major leagues, this is country vs country in a world tournament.
    I'm happy when the USA loses due to how ignorant and whiny so many people are when it comes to this tournament, and I don't really care for the games. The WBC just doesn't interest me but it ends there.

Come on PR!

I'm rooting for Puerto Rico tonight! Would love to see their run continue as well as dethrone the only WBC champions thus far, Japan. I also really like Angel Pagan.

I also hope that any winning team feels free to celebrate however they please! I love seeing the passion and excitement in this tournament. Maybe some those "unwritten rules" of (MLB) baseball etiquette are due for a little loosening up.

NYYF Legend

If fans ever start bringing pots and pans to bang on at MLB games I may stop following the sport.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

The ESPN Radio announcers sure love Yadier! It is almost like he is pitching to himself!

NYYF Legend

Japan defeated by Puerto Rico and will NOT repeat as WBC champions!

Mr. May

Very happy our team is doing so good. I honestly didn't expect us to go out of the first round with DR and Venezuela in the same pool as us. Shows what i know
    A-Rod supporter.

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    If fans ever start bringing pots and pans to bang on at MLB games I may stop following the sport.
    ummmm... FreddySez at old Yankee Stadium?
    like delv, but better

Puerto Rico just beat Japan at their own game: hitting with RISP.

PR went 2 for 7 while Japan went 1 for 6.

Mike Aviles has nine RBIs in the tournament.

PR's Bullpen three-headed monster of J.C. Romero, Xavier Cedeno and Fernando Cabrera.

Cabrera is redeeming himself in the 2013 WBC with three saves after giving up David Wright's game-winning single four years ago.
    "Losing is not my enemy, fear of losing is my enemy." - Tennis champion Rafael Nadal

NYYF Cy Young

Appropriate that Kaz Matsui would make the final out. On the first pitch.
    The Bob Loblaw Law Blog

NYYF Cy Young

Anyway, I'm predicting a PR/DR finale, and am looking forward to it.
    The Bob Loblaw Law Blog

Quote Originally Posted by OlgMvp View Post
    The domincans have sparked my interest...in a bad way. Talk about showboats and arrogant jerkoffs.
    It's probably the roids...

Puerto Rico taking on the 2-time defending champions--- Japan.

Thread Information