+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    NYYF Triple Crown

Two beautiful rural acres in Windham, Maine

Who is the 2013 DH?

Haven't seen any buzz on next season's DH plans. Are they bringing Ibanez back? Is there someone else on the radar? Are we projecting any free agents to be a perfect fit? Anyone know what the plan's looking like?
    Yankee fan living in Maine.

Re: Who is the 2013 DH?

With A-Rod aging and Jeter aging (and coming off a serious injury), I don't think it would be a good idea to get a permanent DH. I wouldn't mind a rotation of Ibanez/A-Rod/Jeter/Anyone Joe wants to give half a day off.

A better question may be who is NOT going to be DHing in 2013.

NYYF Legend

I think a lefty part time DH ro platoon with Jeter/ARod is a safe bet. Idealy it would be Ibanez but I doubt he can repeat that clutch performance again.

Dont forget Joe likes to give Tex/Cano/Granderson a day or two at DH as well. So I doubt we get a fulltime DH
    The real reason why the Yankees keep winning is cause the other team can't stop staring at the damn pinstripes

Quote Originally Posted by BronxYanks45 View Post
    Idealy it would be Ibanez but I doubt he can repeat that clutch performance again.
    <
    Someone will probably overpay him because of it though.

NYYF MVP

Jim "Country-Strong" Thome.

Yeah he can't play the field, and he's probably gonna miss some time. But he can still get RHP and he's a great bat to have sitting on the bench.

NYYF Legend

I wouldn't mind going after Johnny Gomes and Raul Ibanez to split DH duties and spend some time as 4th/5th OF types. Basically Gomes replacing Jones in the expected platoon. I imagine A-rod & Jeter will also both spend time DHing next year.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Man_With_No_Plan View Post
    With A-Rod aging and Jeter aging (and coming off a serious injury), I don't think it would be a good idea to get a permanent DH. I wouldn't mind a rotation of Ibanez/A-Rod/Jeter/Anyone Joe wants to give half a day off.
    I agree with this generally.

I do think the platoon approach is a great idea, and I would like them to do something similar next year. I don't know who is available, but there's always a retread that mashes either lefties or righties. Sign one of each for next to nothing to serve as DH/4th OFer.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    I wouldn't mind going after Johnny Gomes and Raul Ibanez to split DH duties and spend some time as 4th/5th OF types. Basically Gomes replacing Jones in the expected platoon. I imagine A-rod & Jeter will also both spend time DHing next year.
    Gomes and Ibanez in the outfield. Even as a 4th outfielder: Yikes.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

NYYF Legend

David Ortiz would be awesome if he doesn't re-sign before the deadline. It'd be nice to have an actual everyday threat at DH again. Too bad it'll never happen.

I should mention that I'd consider bringing Chavez back. He had an .845 OPS against righties.

I'd look at Jesus Guzman, who is a free agent, as the DH against lefties and as a backup for Tex now that Swish is gone (hopefully).

Guzman's OPS against lefties was .942 last year, .895 for his career. That's in Petco, too. He's also played the OF and can handle 1B reasonably well.

If that combo performed the same as last year, you'd have a poor man's 2012 Paul Konerko for ~$2 million.

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

I would definitely consider Ibanez if he wants to come back as the primary LH complement in the DH position. He has also shown that he can play a credible corner OF position, so he can play the role of the 5th OFer, as far as I am concerned.

Ibanez earned $2.8M this year ($1.1M base plus $1.7M based on plate appearances - my number is a guestimate, as I am not exactly sure what the PA number is). I would gladly offer him a $3M base with the same incentive numbers to man that position.

As far as the RH compliment - we would be looking at ARod (his numbers as DH vs 3B are pretty revealing) 307/371/467/837 vs 258/348/416/764. His numbers vs LHP are even more encouraging 308/410'/514/924.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

What about Scott Hairston? Played all the outfield spots for the Mets last year, hits LHP extremely well, hit .301 AWAY from Citi Field last year and probably wont cost too much all things considered.

Could basically replace Andruw Jones in a platoon type situation.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ElDandy View Post
    What about Scott Hairston? Played all the outfield spots for the Mets last year, hits LHP extremely well, hit .301 AWAY from Citi Field last year and probably wont cost too much all things considered.

Could basically replace Andruw Jones in a platoon type situation.
    As a replacement for Jones, Hairston would not be a bad choice - his ability to play all three OF spots, along with his history of playing 2B at the beginning of his career, would make him very versatile.

His 2012 splits against LHP are attractive and his number against RHP are not exactly the worst, improving his versatility.

He certainly could be had for a reasonable number, having made $1.1M in each of the last two years. He could likely be had on a one year contract for less than $2M I would think.

But, not as the RH platoon for the DH position - I am reasonably certain that role will fall primarily to ARod.

NYYF Triple Crown

Two beautiful rural acres in Windham, Maine

If ARod becomes the primary RH DH, who becomes the platoon 3b? Are we bringing back Chavez, or is there someone else in the pipeline?
    Yankee fan living in Maine.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by apalradio View Post
    If ARod becomes the primary RH DH, who becomes the platoon 3b? Are we bringing back Chavez, or is there someone else in the pipeline?
    I would love to see Chavez come back, but I also have to wonder if there is some thought being given to David Adams, who the Yankees moved to 3B at Trenton this past season after ARod's injury. They sent him to the AFL to play more 3B.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by eaganmafia View Post
    Jim "Country-Strong" Thome.

Yeah he can't play the field, and he's probably gonna miss some time. But he can still get RHP and he's a great bat to have sitting on the bench.
    Not against the Yanks.
    He did nothing for the O's in the the first round of the play-offs.

NYYF Legend

Lance Berkman

The gerbil lives Zimmers' Helmet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The_Man_With_No_Plan View Post
    This is the most logical scenario.
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmers' Helmet View Post
    This is the most logical scenario.
    Actually, I'd rather see those guys get full days off when they need rest, IF a potent DH bat is available. If A-Rod was still putting up 160 OPS+ then you hate to lose his bat when he needs a day off. If he's a 115 OPS+ guy, I'd rather see a more potent hitter take the DH ABs, which also helps offset the offensive downgrade at 3B and SS when those guys sit.

Call me crazy but I would much prefer a singles hitter who can move a base runner over and get a key hit with RISP than Ibanez. Ibanez was huge for the Yankees but he is just like the rest of the Yankees lineup, and none of them are going anywhere.

I would also like to see the Yankees sign BJ Upton to play centerfield. He would be able to be a hitter who would not have to focus on pulling the ball to right field and maybe we could then have two hitters who do not focus solely on homeruns to right field all game long.

The gerbil lives Zimmers' Helmet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by johnsterling View Post
    Call me crazy but I would much prefer a singles hitter who can move a base runner over and get a key hit with RISP than Ibanez. Ibanez was huge for the Yankees but he is just like the rest of the Yankees lineup, and none of them are going anywhere.

I would also like to see the Yankees sign BJ Upton to play centerfield. He would be able to be a hitter who would not have to focus on pulling the ball to right field and maybe we could then have two hitters who do not focus solely on homeruns to right field all game long.
    Why would the Yankees sign Upton to play CF, when they already have Gardner who can probably play it better?
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

NYYF Legend

They also picked up Granderson's option.
    Can he be traded?

Quote Originally Posted by mr.roy View Post
    They also picked up Granderson's option.
    Can he be traded?
    He can be traded ... doesn't have no-trade protection in his contract, according to Cot's
    “Everything looks nicer when you win. The girls are prettier, the cigars taste better. The trees are greener.”—Billy Martin

NYYF Legend

Gotcha.
    In any event I don't think anyone would trade BJ for the Grandyman one up.

Thread Information