+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    NYYF Cy Young

Did the Giants sweep over the Tigers in the WS alter your opinion of the ALCS?

Due to the fact that right after the Tigers swept the Yankees, they get swept in more or less the same fashion by the Giants.

NYYF Legend

Re: Did the Giants sweep over the Tigers in the WS adjust your opinion of the ALCS?

Well, it just goes to show you ... You can't predict baseball!

NYYF Legend

NYC or 2.77 miles from the greatest stadium on earth

Re: Did the Giants sweep over the Tigers in the WS adjust your opinion of the ALCS?

It just goes to show you the MLB playoffs are complete sh*t.
    Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Yeah, I'm definitely straight, but I might have made an exception for him.

NYYF Legend

Baseball's an unpredictable game. It's not the best team in the playoffs, it's the hottest. I wasn't happy with the effort in the ALCS to begin with, this doesn't change anything.

NYYF HOF

Quote Originally Posted by -tz View Post
    You got that right.

Adjust it to what? The Tigers beat the Yanks & the Giants beat the Tigers. Sh*t happens in the playoffs.

R-I-P, Mr. Nelson Mandela Jersey Yankee's Avatar
    Formerly Brooklyn & Joisey; now just right behind you ... BOO!!!

It proves that Verlander and his teammates can only pitch well against AL teams.
    Dr King (1929-68): Make the Dream a Reality.
    RIP, Nelson Mandela, Jackie #42 & Rosa Parks; Ali: Get up…get up; Isaac Hayes; Stevie Wonder: Isn't She Lovely?; Dr J: Fear the 'Fro; Smokin' Joe

Quote Originally Posted by sam18 View Post
    it just goes to show you the mlb playoffs are complete sh*t.
    +1 :d
    It's never about what you know, it's who you know ..... and who's willing to help you to get where you want to be.

i feel like a lot of teams were really flawed this yr. the yanks had obvious flaws, so did the Os, and the Tigers, and the rangers, OAK. even the giants are obviously kinda cobbled together, despite some all-stars. I would've put my money on the Nats as the most well-rounded team.
    like delv, but better

NYYF Legend

just shows that the Tigers really arent that good and only if a few yankees got hits and scored a few we could have won
    The real reason why the Yankees keep winning is cause the other team can't stop staring at the damn pinstripes

NYYF HOF

Quote Originally Posted by -tz View Post
    Bull. I predict that if you can't score you can't win. 2012 playoffs proved this yet again.
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Sam18 View Post
    why's that? maybe we should all stop watching baseball then

NYYF Legend

110 miles from the greatest Stadium on earth / Section 210

Quote Originally Posted by Sam18 View Post
    What do you mean by that Sam? I'm curious. Also, what would you do if you were in the driver's seat?

Personally I can't stand the WC but I know I'm in the minority.....and the added WC is even worse (to me) but that's how it goes with Bud in the driver's seat.

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 4bronxbombers View Post
    What do you mean by that Sam? I'm curious. Also, what would you do if you were in the driver's seat?

Personally I can't stand the WC but I know I'm in the minority.....and the added WC is even worse (to me) but that's how it goes with Bud in the driver's seat.

I'm with you, but the extra money trumps trivial things like having only the best teams playing in the playoffs.
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

NYYF MVP

It tells me the Yanks are alot farther away from winning a championship than I thought.

I don't hate the Wild Card but had the Cardinals beaten the Giants, the two playoff teams with the lowest winning percentages would have made it to the World Series, and that's a little bizarre. Even though the Giants won their division, there was still a bit of an underdog thing going on there (prevailing after the Melky drama, going on to play better than the Dodgers after their big purchases, not really having a team with many stars/sluggers).

The Tigers' offense all but disappeared in the World Series, much like the Yankees' did in the ALCS. It's hard to say that it's because the Tigers got cold or weren't good enough to really be there when the Giants have the pitching and defense that was on display the whole WS. The Giants play the kind of baseball that AL teams don't really embrace and I think that really helped them in this series. Plus, they have a chemistry that can't be forced or bought and that's something that, honestly, wasn't as present with the Yankees this year as it has been in past years.

I am really curious how a series comprised of the Yankees at their best this season and the Giants this postseason would have gone. We'll get to see them play each other next year but a lot of changes will take place by then, no doubt.

My History. Your Tradition. JDPNYY's Avatar

Yay. The World Series...!!!1!1!!!

The 3rd best team in the National League bested the 7th best team in the American League (who had no right to be in the playoffs).

While the Yankees got shafted by not having a day off between the ALDS and ALCS despite having the best record in the AL. Add to that the fact that they had to start the best of 5 (which continues to be stupid) ALDS on the road.

Couple all that with god-awful umpiring everywhere and no possibility of instant replay to right these constant wrongs.

You must be so proud Bud, you ass.
    I'm frantic... Jeter Ceremony Date - when will this be announced????

Thank goodness we now know.

Quote Originally Posted by skyblue17 View Post
    I don't hate the Wild Card but had the Cardinals beaten the Giants, the two playoff teams with the lowest winning percentages would have made it to the World Series, and that's a little bizarre. Even though the Giants won their division, there was still a bit of an underdog thing going on there (prevailing after the Melky drama, going on to play better than the Dodgers after their big purchases, not really having a team with many stars/sluggers).

The Tigers' offense all but disappeared in the World Series, much like the Yankees' did in the ALCS. It's hard to say that it's because the Tigers got cold or weren't good enough to really be there when the Giants have the pitching and defense that was on display the whole WS. The Giants play the kind of baseball that AL teams don't really embrace and I think that really helped them in this series. Plus, they have a chemistry that can't be forced or bought and that's something that, honestly, wasn't as present with the Yankees this year as it has been in past years.

I am really curious how a series comprised of the Yankees at their best this season and the Giants this postseason would have gone. We'll get to see them play each other next year but a lot of changes will take place by then, no doubt.
    Chemistry. Interesting word. It helped them get Home Field Advantage (in an exhibition game) and helped them get a lot of wins as their mediocre Melky was putting up HoF numbers for most of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post

The 3rd best team in the National League bested the 7th best team in the American League (who had no right to be in the playoffs).

While the Yankees got shafted by not having a day off between the ALDS and ALCS despite having the best record in the AL. Add to that the fact that they had to start the best of 5 (which continues to be stupid) ALDS on the road.

Couple all that with god-awful umpiring everywhere and no possibility of instant replay to right these constant wrongs.

So, tell us how you really feel, JDP
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    So, tell us how you really feel, JDP

I tend to hold back.

It showed me that postseason results are random.

The folks that love the Giants style of play weren't saying that when they were down 2-0 to the Reds in the first round, or down 3-1 to the Cardinals going to Game 5.

Things happen. Whatever you do in the regular season has no bearing on what will happen in a 5 or 7 game series. This is why Cashman is probably right in saying that we shouldn't react to a small sample size of games here where the team didn't hit.

What I've been saying for years now is that you have to take the 96-2001 days and treat it with great appreciation. You will never see anything like that ever in baseball. The Yankees were somehow able to overcome statistical randomness and improbabilities for as long as they did.

Winning is so hard in this sport.
    MLB on FOX blackouts - NO MORE!!

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post

The Yankees lost because they did not hit, but the idea that the #1 seed had to play 5 straight games while the Tigers got a day off was ridiculous. But hey, Bud squeezed in his beloved precious manufactured one game drama, or else we would have never known an infield fly could be called so expertly.

Quote Originally Posted by yankees2010 View Post
    The Yankees lost because they did not hit, but the idea that the #1 seed had to play 5 straight games while the Tigers got a day off was ridiculous. But hey, Bud squeezed in his beloved precious manufactured one game drama, or else we would have never known an infield fly could be called so expertly.
    Of course they lost because they didn't hit. But who knows what would have transpired had the schedule favored the team with the best record in the AL rather than hurt the team with the best record. And who knows what would have transpired had the umpires not made blatant errors and had fair strike zones. It's not sour grapes, what's done is done, but that was a national embarrassment (as was the non-hitting).

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by 4bronxbombers View Post

Quote Originally Posted by yankees2010 View Post
    I like the fact that Division winners are rewarded with not having to play a 1-game playoff. In the past there was no real difference between winning the Division or the WC, so there was no incentive to try and win the Division. This changed that.

Do you guys not like the WC in general or just the 1-game playoff, and if the latter, do you not mind the WC coming into the playoffs on equal footing as the Division leaders (IMO home field does not matter much . . )?

The alternative would be to get rid of the WC altogether and give the best team in each League a bye. But since they want to add teams to the Playoffs that won't happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    The alternative would be to get rid of the WC altogether and give the best team in each League a bye. But since they want to add teams to the Playoffs that won't happen.
    A better alternative would be to add one team to each league (16 teams each) split into four divisions per league. (If it were up to me interleague play would also be eliminated but that isn't likely to happen).

Win your division and you're in. No wildcards and the only one-game playoffs would be if two teams tie for their division. Play in a tougher division and miss the playoffs? Too bad. Should have played better.

All playoff rounds are best of seven. Regularly scheduled double-headers during the season (Memorial Day, Fourth of July, Labor Day) buys three extra days for the two extra first round (LDS) games. Division winners with best two records have home field advantage in first round. Remaining team with best record after the LDS has HFA in LCS.

Home field in WS determined by league record in interleague play. (Although if interleague play was scrapped, as I would prefer, go back to alternating HFA.)
    I can't complain but sometimes I still do. - Joe Walsh

Thread Information