+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    It's About the Money

Re: Should the Yankees extend Hughes?

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post
    The answer to this question is the answer to a more pertinent question - "Do you see Phil Hughes as a significant cog in your pitching rotation in 2014?"

I, for one, do not - while Hughes has been very serviceable, there have been too many 5.1 IP appearances for me. He pitched 191.1 innings in 32 starts this year - that averages put to 5.97 IPS.

In 2014, we will have CC to head the staff. Assuming the Yankees sign Kuroda to a multi-year contract this off-season (he has earned one and deserves it), he's the likely #2. Pineda is the logical #3 at this point.

This spot is one of the places that the Yankees can save some money in their quest to get below $189M, so I believe that issue will be a big factor in their decision as well. With David Phelps, Adam Warren, Nik Turley, and Jose Ramirez (not to mention the two B's and Ivan Nova) in the pipeline, I find it hard to believe that the Yankees will make extending Phil Hughes a priority - in fact, I would be very surprised if he does not end up as part of a trade this winter.
    Well I think you're being a touch bullish about Pineda (shoulder) and Turley/Ramirez (a good ways from the majors, not obviously top tier prospect caliber), and the B's are certainly not in the pipeline anymore. Even if you think Betances bounces back next year, Banuelos will miss the whole season, and wont be ready for the majors until at least 2015 after missing two years of time.

That said, if the Yankees give Kuroda a multi-year deal (I don't think they will), then it might not matter. If not, I think Hughes probably projects to be their #2 starter in 2014, if they keep him.

It's About the Money

Quote Originally Posted by mitchrock View Post
    Not much of a perk. You should demand free coffee.
    Tried that, then they got the bill and sent me a watch instead.

Cashman loves Hughes. He drafted him, and has always viewed him as one of his prized prospects that he developed. I think Cashman will be very hesitant to get rid of him.

I'm a big Hughes fan, always have been. Somebody here brought up the idea of a Hughes for Headley trade. I think this makes a ton of sense for both teams. Hughes minus the HR ball (to a degree) is a monster, and Headley could hit 40 jacks here.

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BennyTheJetRodriguez View Post
    I'm a big Hughes fan, always have been. Somebody here brought up the idea of a Hughes for Headley trade. I think this makes a ton of sense for both teams. Hughes minus the HR ball (to a degree) is a monster, and Headley could hit 40 jacks here.
    I don't know -- if I am as bad as the Padres are, and I am willing to trade Headley, I probably want someone who I am going to have the rights to for more than one year
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Fan in Boston View Post
    I don't know -- if I am as bad as the Padres are, and I am willing to trade Headley, I probably want someone who I am going to have the rights to for more than one year
    Hughes is extremely likely to want to stay there. He's from soCal, it's a huge park in the NL, and he hasn't really been good enough to warrant some crazy deal that the Padres can't afford. I think Headley (who is very unlikely to want to stay there) is a free agent after 2013 too.

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Hughes is extremely likely to want to stay there. He's from soCal, it's a huge park in the NL, and he hasn't really been good enough to warrant some crazy deal that the Padres can't afford. I think Headley (who is very unlikely to want to stay there) is a free agent after 2013 too.
    Looks like Headley has two years.

I hear what you're saying, but I'd still be looking for someone cheap you can control and build around.
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Fan in Boston View Post
    Looks like Headley has two years.

I hear what you're saying, but I'd still be looking for someone cheap you can control and build around.
    Yeah you are probably right. Not sure they get it though.

A reasonable 3 year extension probably makes Hughes a more attractive trade chip. With his propensity to give up the HR I believe he could be successful in one of those big parks on the west coast.
    "It is almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is playing golf." -Robert Wilson Lynd

Very early in Hughes' career, there was a thread here where someone was adamant that Hughes was going to be a Hall of Fame pitcher. It made for a very entertaining discussion. I've looked for it without any luck. Does anyone happen to have the link handy?

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Dog Named Fred View Post
    Very early in Hughes' career, there was a thread here where someone was adamant that Hughes was going to be a Hall of Fame pitcher. It made for a very entertaining discussion. I've looked for it without any luck. Does anyone happen to have the link handy?
    i think is was here
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

Quote Originally Posted by Dog Named Fred View Post
    I think the guys name was Hughes2.50. In his defense, Hughes was a completely different pitcher then.

I think the guys name was Hughes2.50. In his defense, Hughes was a completely different pitcher then.
    I think you're right. Thanks. I'll start looking again.

And yes, Hughes was a different pitcher then, but it was the certainty of the predictions more than their content that I was struck by.

NYYF Cy Young

Smile Re: Should the Yankees extend Hughes?

longtimeyankeefan posted: The answer to this question is the answer to a more pertinent question - "Do you see Phil Hughes as a significant cog in your pitching rotation in 2014?"

I, for one, do not - while Hughes has been very serviceable, there have been too many 5.1 IP appearances for me. He pitched 191.1 innings in 32 starts this year - that averages put to 5.97 IPS.

In 2014, we will have CC to head the staff. Assuming the Yankees sign Kuroda to a multi-year contract this off-season (he has earned one and deserves it), he's the likely #2. Pineda is the logical #3 at this point.

This spot is one of the places that the Yankees can save some money in their quest to get below $189M, so I believe that issue will be a big factor in their decision as well. With David Phelps, Adam Warren, Nik Turley, and Jose Ramirez (not to mention the two B's and Ivan Nova) in the pipeline, I find it hard to believe that the Yankees will make extending Phil Hughes a priority - in fact, I would be very surprised if he does not end up as part of a trade this winter.
    I concur with everything said in this post. (Pettite was left out of the rotation but he might return.) I don't like that there's never a Yankee lead that Hughes won't give up. He's too unpredictable and I would trade him as well as the Choker, Nick Swisher, for the best deal out there. Why Nick? Because this is the 4th year in a row, that Swisher hasn't hit his weight in the playoffs. I'd rather have Ichiro in RF anyway.

In Hughes 2nd or 3rd year, on another board, I really tore into him. Another poster replied that he bet I didn't read "Baseball Prospectus" and therefore knew nothing of how great Hughes was going to be. LOL! I bet he's eating lots of Humble Pie these days. Hughes is average at best.
    [B]The Yankees have been blessed with great players over the years. Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig, Joe DiMaggio, Mickey Mantle, Phil Rizzuto, Derek Jeter, Alex Rodriguez and now Mark Teixeira to name a few. [/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Don Mack View Post
    longtimeyankeefan posted: The answer to this question is the answer to a more pertinent question - "Do you see Phil Hughes as a significant cog in your pitching rotation in 2014?"

I concur with everything said in this post. (Pettite was left out of the rotation but he might return.) I don't like that there's never a Yankee lead that Hughes won't give up. He's too unpredictable and I would trade him as well as the Choker, Nick Swisher, for the best deal out there. Why Nick? Because this is the 4th year in a row, that Swisher hasn't hit his weight in the playoffs. I'd rather have Ichiro in RF anyway.

In Hughes 2nd or 3rd year, on another board, I really tore into him. Another poster replied that he bet I didn't read "Baseball Prospectus" and therefore knew nothing of how great Hughes was going to be. LOL! I bet he's eating lots of Humble Pie these days. Hughes is average at best.
    He's not average "at best" he's average. In fact most of his statistics are well above average. The homeruns kill him, so new Yankee stadium probably isn't the best place for him.

Also, Swisher cant be traded...

Not that it matters from a Yankee fan perspective, but Hughes gave up 13 road HR and 22 home HR in 2012. It would be interesting to figure out what his season might look like if those numbers were equal. My guess is borderline elite. I think an NL team with a big park would be ALL over that.

NYYF Legend

i would love to extend hughes, if you catch my drift
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

Quote Originally Posted by flymick24 View Post
    i would love to extend hughes, if you catch my drift
    That's what I'm talkin about.

It might make sense to extend Hughes rather than trade him at this point. He only has one more year left on his deal, and while he has been serviceable, he still doesn't have a single season with an ERA under 4 as a starter, and he doesn't have any season as a starter with his whip under 1.2. While he has been decent, he hasn't been great, and I don't know how much 1 year of that is worth.

It might make sense to explore an extension this offseason, and we can lock Hughes up through his prime years and see if he ever capitalizes on his original potential.

Quote Originally Posted by dont_ya_know24 View Post
    yes. i feel like he'd take a 5 year 20-30 million dollar deal. he's entering his prime years, and that's a bargain for someone who looks like he can be at the very least an innings eater.
    forget his injury history, you can either take that risk and lock up a guy who may or may not make that deal look like a steal-- like cano's contract--or he can have a breakout year next year, and just force the yankees to shell out more cash.
    I don't know why this is so crazy. A 4/yr deal at an AAV of $6M seems fair to me for a pitcher who has had injury concerns and an ERA of over 4 every year of his career. (I actually like his peripherals, but if you're the Yankees you harp on the ERA and IP.)

I'm not sure he's done anything to earn much more than what Gavin Floyd got in 2009 - 4/15.5 - who was coming off a season of a 3.84 ERA.

I'd honestly look to lock him up at a favorable deal and then pursue trades. The Headley/Hughes deal would be pleasing to me. Phelps would be fine to replace Hughes at the back end.

Thread Information