+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    I think Joba, Aardsma and that kid Montgomey can take the setup roles and Logan is more than LOOGY even if some love to hate him on this site.

Don't get me wrong as a pitcher I love what Soriano brings and what he did this year, but in the context of $189M I'd prefer to spend the $15M per it will take to keep him on more than just 5% of the innings thrown. If I thought they could sign him to 3/$27M deal I'd be all over that.
    I don't expect much out of Logan next year. I think Girardi fried him this year.

Re: Mariano Rivera Considering Retirment Instead of Playing in the 2013 Season?

Besides Montgomery there's Chase Whitley and Tommy Kahnle that can help next year. Goody is a fast track reliever as well, although he probably won't make it to NY in '13.

NYYF Legend

If it's just for one more year then why would salary be an issue? 2014 is the year they need to be under $189 million, right? Pay him a king's ransom next year for all I care and give him a proper send off.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    If it's just for one more year then why would salary be an issue? 2014 is the year they need to be under $189 million, right? Pay him a king's ransom next year for all I care and give him a proper send off.
    Doubt money would be an issue with Rivera. If Mo wants to come the Yankees will give him what ever he wants as long as it is a one year deal.

I would never hold it against him, but I was really looking forward to the "I ain't going down like this" attitude. However as others have said if this does happen and he's done I will also being telling my kids and grandkids that I got to see Mariano pitch. And I never left early.
    You're a stranger til she whispers you can stay.
    You're a stranger til she whispers that your journey's over.

NYYFans Fantasy Baseball:
    CBS: Evil Empire
    Yahoo: Special OPS

NYYF Legend

I said this in the other Mo thread, but now after seeing Cashman's comment that showed a lot of uncertainty, I'm sure of it. Cashman's is a smart guy. The only way he basically announces that Mo is uncertain right now is if he wants Soriano to opt-out. Otherwise why not wait until after Soriano's deadline to make these comments? He's giving Soriano leverage right now.

the Yankees probably don't make the postseason this year without Soriano, why don't they want him back?

NYYF Legend

this is just contract negotiations. Remember in the 2009 offseason when he said he was close to signing with the Red Sox
    The real reason why the Yankees keep winning is cause the other team can't stop staring at the damn pinstripes

NYYF Legend

As much as I don't want the last image of Mo to be him writhing on the ground, grabbing his knee in pain, I also don't want the last image to be the greatest closer in history struggling to get the job done. He's not going to come back at 75 or 95% and right now, he's not sure what the future holds, especially since he's been blessed with remarkable durability.

As others have said, if he does call it quits, I can say I saw Mariano Rivera pitch.... and thank God that he was a New York Yankee.
    September 28, 2008 - the day the HOF got a wake-up Moose call.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by newyorkyankees6 View Post
    the Yankees probably don't make the postseason this year without Soriano, why don't they want him back?
    He probably wants a multi-year deal which would cause problems for 2014. Yankees would be happy to have him for one year.

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    I said this in the other Mo thread, but now after seeing Cashman's comment that showed a lot of uncertainty, I'm sure of it. Cashman's is a smart guy. The only way he basically announces that Mo is uncertain right now is if he wants Soriano to opt-out. Otherwise why not wait until after Soriano's deadline to make these comments? He's giving Soriano leverage right now.
    If Soriano doesn't opt out its an optimal situation for the Yankees:

1) They would have him on a one year deal
    2) It would be his walk year so he would be motivated to have a huge season
    3) The Yankees can be over 189m threshold next year, so his salary is not an issue
    4) He's an inusrance policy if Mo doesn't come back and/or is not fully recovered.

Soriano saved their bacon last year, they don't sniff the playoffs without him. Why Cashman would want him to opt out is beyond me. He must have read in moneyball that you don't need a closer.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Vanderlay View Post
    Soriano saved their bacon last year, they don't sniff the playoffs without him. Why Cashman would want him to opt out is beyond me. He must have read in moneyball that you don't need a closer.
    That's why we've been paying Mo?

Robertson is a better pitcher than Soriano.
    Thank you for making me calm today, Brett Gardner

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post

BTW, I agree that Cashman is a smart guy. Its his baseball acumen that concerns me.

Quote Originally Posted by snapple View Post
    That's why we've been paying Mo?

Robertson is a better pitcher than Soriano.
    I disagree. At this point in his career Robertson throws too many pitches to close. If Mo is not coming back, having Soriano on a one year deal is optimal.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Vanderlay View Post
    I disagree. At this point in his career Robertson throws too many pitches to close. If Mo is not coming back, having Soriano on a one year deal is optimal.
    That's a legitmate concern. But, Robertson has the better stuff by a LONG shot. And, I'd rather having D-Rob in a high leverage situation.

NYYF Triple Crown

He'll be back

NYYF Triple Crown

Robertson has been bad in the closer spot when he's had the chance why is he better than Soriano who had 42 saves all of a sudden?

Quote Originally Posted by JOBA RULES View Post
    Robertson has been bad in the closer spot when he's had the chance why is he better than Soriano who had 42 saves all of a sudden?
    He had like what, 3 chances?

NYYF Triple Crown

He had like what, 3 chances?
    Ok and Sori has had 40 save seasons so how can you say Robertson is better?

Quote Originally Posted by JOBA RULES View Post
    Ok and Sori has had 40 save seasons so how can you say Robertson is better?
    because he's a better pitcher. saves are a ridiculous stat.

Why is DRob better when his ERA and WHIP are higher than Soriano's?

The Sausage King of Chicago Abe Frohman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by grizy View Post
    Why is DRob better when his ERA and WHIP are higher than Soriano's?
    I agree.

I LOVE D - Rob, but he can't close right now. nibbles too much, gets himself in tough spots with RISP.

Soriano may not be a better overall pitcher in terms of stuff, but he gets the job done, regardless of his attitude.

Robertson does not get the closing job done right now.
    ? Can switching to Geico really save you 15 % or more on car insurance ? ? Does the postman always ring twice ?

Quote Originally Posted by Abe Frohman View Post
    I agree.

I LOVE D - Rob, but he can't close right now. nibbles too much, gets himself in tough spots with RISP.

Soriano may not be a better overall pitcher in terms of stuff, but he gets the job done, regardless of his attitude.

Robertson does not get the closing job done right now.
    how many opps has Robertson got?

NYYF Triple Crown

because he's a better pitcher. saves are a ridiculous stat.
    Pitching the 8th inning is must different than pitching the 9th my bud. If we lose Mo I hope you are right.

Good to the last drop CoyoteYankee's Avatar

I will cry if he doesn't come back next year.
    2014 - New Team, New Result

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap.

Thread Information