+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Mariano Rivera Considering Retirment Instead of Playing in the 2013 Season?

New York Yankees general manager Brian Cashman said Mariano Rivera, considered the greatest closer in baseball history, informed him earlier this week that he is unsure if he will play again or retire.
    Cashman told ESPN New York that on Tuesday he and Rivera had a conversation in which Rivera said he was unsure if he will return for a 19th season.
    "He wasn't certain on what he is going to do," Cashman said.
    After he crumbled to the turf and tore his ACL in Kansas City in early May, Rivera vowed he would return in 2013.
    Most Memorable Mo-ments

ESPN New York takes a look back at Mariano Rivera's greatest saves.
    Photo Gallery Top 50 Yanks

"I'm coming back," an emotional Rivera said in Kansas City a day after the injury. "Put it down. Write it down in big letters. I ain't going down like this."
    Now, with his 43rd birthday next month and as he's worked very hard during his rehab to return, Rivera has the familiar tug that he has carried for many years of possibly wanting to stay home with his family and call it a career.
    In the past, Rivera also has emphasized that he expects to leave the game as an elite player. If he has doubts that he will retain his skill level, that also could tilt him to call it a career with the most saves (608) in MLB history and five World Series rings.
    The negotiations for a new contract also could be a bit complicated. Rivera made $15 million last season, but even with the front office's utmost respect for him, it is unclear what it will offer him considering he would be returning after a season in which he pitched in only nine games.
    The 50 Greatest Yankees

Choosing the 50 Greatest Yankees was a daunting task. ESPNNewYork.com rose to the challenge. Top 50 Rank 'Em

This offseason, the Yankees are beginning to tighten their budget in anticipation of trying to lower payroll by 10 percent to $189 million for 2014. Yankees owner Hal Steinbrenner has mandated the plan to take advantage of the new luxury tax breaks.
    During his end-of-season news conference on Wednesday, Yankees manager Joe Girardi hinted that Rivera may not return.
    "From watching how he rehabbed and everything that he was going through, picked up a baseball sooner than he was supposed to and got his hand smacked a little bit, that would tell me that Mo probably wants to play," Girardi said. "But in saying that, it's a decision that I think he'll sit down with his family, evaluate where he is maybe a little bit later in this process and how he feels and how his arm feels, to feel like you think you can compete at the same level he's always competed at. But I don't think that you push a rehab like he pushed it unless you think that you possibly have some interest in coming back."
    Since Rivera had already vowed to come back in May, Girardi's words were taken as managerial-speak, the feeling being Girardi did not want to commit to a player who wasn't signed yet.
    In Rivera's place this season, Rafael Soriano thrived as the Yankees' closer, converting 42 of 46 save chances. Soriano could opt out of the final season of his contract. Soriano's agent, Scott Boras, hinted that Soriano would choose free agency but said a final decision had not been made.
    "He's one of the best closers in baseball," Boras said. "He had 42 saves, and he didn't start until May."
    Rivera has been cryptic about his plans to play or retire. During spring training, he said that he knew whether 2012 would be his last season, but he declined to tell anyone in the front office or the media.
    After the injury, Rivera said he would come back for 2013. Now it is still probable, but suddenly it is not certain.
    from ESPN.com
    http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/stor...ording-sources

WELL this would certainly be a serious and depressing way to actually start the offseason.
    follow me on twitter http://twitter.com/AndrewHarts

Released Outright

Re: Mariano Rivera Considering Retirment Instead of Playing in the 2013 Season?

It'd probably be for the best. I wouldn't want to see the Yankees hand out a big money deal for another relief pitcher, especially an old one coming off surgery who may or may not be any good.

i would like to see mo get the final out of the season. but hey
    always reasonable

Crow,Tony,Joe,Yogi,Riz,2 Joes Tifoso's Avatar

I hope that he comes back. This news saddens me.
    -Lou 27 (28 in 2014)
    Totus Tuus

Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tifoso View Post
    I hope that he comes back. This news saddens me.
    Me too. I want to see him retire as he chooses, not like this. Though if that is what he chooses then it is his right. However it will sadden me to not hear "Enter Sandman" again.
    Life is good!

...you're off to great places Norge's Avatar

One Mo season, please

NYYF Legend

Add me to the list who want Mo back for one more year.

Soriano's agent must be thrilled that Cashman announced this. Now they have one more bidder for Rafael after he opts out.

Quote Originally Posted by d32123 View Post
    It'd probably be for the best. I wouldn't want to see the Yankees hand out a big money deal for another relief pitcher, especially an old one coming off surgery who may or may not be any good.
    Nonsense. Give the man his $15M and let him get a proper sendoff. I'll also take the over on him being more than good.

NYYF Legend

Count me in the camp that would like one more go round for Mo.

But he he does retire I wish him well.

And either way I hope Soriano does opt out and the Yanks do not enter the bidding.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Who, that is available, would "replace" him?
    -Lou 27 (28 in 2014)
    Totus Tuus

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    Count me in the camp that would like one more go round for Mo.

But he he does retire I wish him well.

And either way I hope Soriano does opt out and the Yanks do not enter the bidding.
    I'm kind of in the opposite camp because I would hate to see him come back and struggle. I'm not saying that he will struggle, just that I wouldn't want to see it.

Everything comes to an end and if Mariano decides this is it, so be it. Thanks for everything, Mariano. I'll be telling everyone who comes along I got to watch the great Rivera pitch.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    I'm kind of in the opposite camp because I would hate to see him come back and struggle. I'm not saying that he will struggle, just that I wouldn't want to see it.

Everything comes to an end and if Mariano decides this is it, so be it. Thanks for everything, Mariano. I'll be telling everyone who comes along I got to watch the great Rivera pitch.

Me, too.
    -Lou 27 (28 in 2014)
    Totus Tuus

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Tifoso View Post
    Who, that is available, would "replace" him?
    His name is David Robertson. Perhaps you've heard of him. High strikeout rate. low ERA. works cheap.

I just think it would be a better use of resource to not spend $15M a year on a closer. Especially if the Yanks are going to live on a real budget.
    Baseball is life;

I just hope Mo plays in 2013.

There won't be another closer like Mariano Rivera in terms of durability, longevity and total domination of the closer role with one pitch.
    "Losing is not my enemy, fear of losing is my enemy." - Tennis champion Rafael Nadal

His name is David Robertson. Perhaps you've heard of him. High strikeout rate. low ERA. works cheap.
    Then we'll need somebody to take his spot as set-up man. I'd rather keep Soriano. Besides, we'd miss his infectious smile.
    Let the kids play.

Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post
    Then we'll need somebody to take his spot as set-up man. I'd rather keep Soriano. Besides, we'd miss his infectious smile.
    And Rafael Soriano's three claps and shirt untucking if he really opts out.

As for set-up if D-Rob is the closer, I like to see David Aardsma be the set-up man.

Joba Chamberlain could be my choice for 7th-inning, but he needs to get in better shape and stay out of trouble.
    "Losing is not my enemy, fear of losing is my enemy." - Tennis champion Rafael Nadal

I heard Cashman for a little bit with Francesa earlier this week. It sounds like he doesn't expect Soriano back.... and he sounded optimistic about Joba. That's your 8th inning guy, I suspect. He also said something like that Robertson would be a closer already on many other teams.

He also mentioned some kid named Montgomery (I think) with David Robertson strike out numbers who may be in the relief mix at some point this season.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

I just think it would be a better use of resource to not spend $15M a year on a closer. Especially if the Yanks are going to live on a real budget.
    Good point

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    I heard Cashman for a little bit with Francesa earlier this week. It sounds like he doesn't expect Soriano back.... and he sounded optimistic about Joba. That's your 8th inning guy, I suspect. He also said something like that Robertson would be a closer already on many other teams.
    OK, as long as they promise me (barring something like chickens growing lips) that his days of "SP audition" are over.
    -Lou 27 (28 in 2014)
    Totus Tuus

NYYF Legend

I think Joba, Aardsma and that kid Montgomey can take the setup roles and Logan is more than LOOGY even if some love to hate him on this site.

Don't get me wrong as a pitcher I love what Soriano brings and what he did this year, but in the context of $189M I'd prefer to spend the $15M per it will take to keep him on more than just 5% of the innings thrown. If I thought they could sign him to 3/$27M deal I'd be all over that.
    Baseball is life;

Happy Summer!! b-ball-lunachick's Avatar

as appreciative as I am about what Mo has done for the yankees and the fans, I don't want to think about him not coming back. hopefully he's giving Cashman a heads up to plan for the worst case but he'll change his mind when the new year comes....
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" ...Frank Costanza

NYYF Legend

Maybe. I love Robertson setting up though.

Career....

5 saves

8 blown saves

This year

2 saves

3 blown saves.

It ain't that easy.....
    Goin for 2<strike>7</strike>8!

dont mess with the jesus dont_ya_know24's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by goin for 27 View Post
    Maybe. I love Robertson setting up though.

Career....

5 saves

8 blown saves

This year

2 saves

3 blown saves.

It ain't that easy.....
    as a setup man, you can blow a save in the 8th inning. though you obviously can't be awarded a save if you don't relinquish the lead.
    I really thought I played great defense when the ball wasn't hit at me, Alex Rodriguez said.

NYYF Legend

I know how it works. Closing is harder than setting up, that's all. I also LOVE Robertson, and love him setting up.

He may close just great, but has not yet.
    Goin for 2<strike>7</strike>8!

If this happens and Soriano opts out, the Yanks will get bent over a barrel with that contract.

Quote Originally Posted by Jax Teller View Post
    If this happens and Soriano opts out, the Yanks will get bent over a barrel with that contract.

No question about it.

Which is why I would imagine that Mo's decision will be forthcoming in the next few weeks
    -Lou 27 (28 in 2014)
    Totus Tuus

Thread Information