+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Which current and former Yankees are most fan-friendly?

From your personal experiences, which former and current Yankees would you consider the most fan friendly?

Re: Which current and former Yankees are most fan-friendly?

Quote Originally Posted by newyorkyankees6 View Post
    From your personal experiences, which former and current Yankees would you consider the most fan friendly?

Mariano Rivera has to be the MOST fan friendly IMO.

Since you have the most, you have to have the worst also. In my book, no one is more arrogant than Mr. October himself.
    It's never about what you know, it's who you know ..... and who's willing to help you to get where you want to be.

Quote Originally Posted by yankeesfanatic View Post

Since you have the most, you have to have the worst also. In my book, no one is more arrogant than Mr. October himself.
    Have you dealt with Jeter before, I am curious to know how he is with fans. Especially grown-ups.

Quote Originally Posted by yankeesfanatic View Post

I disagree Reggie was cool as hell with me. But overall I would say that Don Mattingly was by far the nicest that I have met.

NYYF Cy Young

My family and I met Jeter and Tino in a resturaunt near the Pru Center in Boston in 2000 and they were both very nice, especially to the kids (we waited until they were done eating and then I sent my wife and kids over ) Got a nice group pic and they autographed our Yankees/Red Sox tickets.

I've met Mickey Rivers and Fritz Peterson outside of Billy's and they were both very friendly.

Went to an event at William Paterson U for Bernie in 2010 and met him afterwards - nice.

And way back in 1980, Ruppert Jones was a neighbor and again, very nice - and quite.

I hear Paul Gibson is a great guy. I think he still lives on Long Island, out in the Moriches area.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

NYYF Cy Young

David Cone is really great- my wife and I met him in the suite lounge when I was lucky enough to be there a few years ago- when he signed a few balls for us and found out my wife was raffling them off at her school, he seemed truly interested at where she worked, what she taught, etc. Definitely didn't have to do that

NYYF Legend

Giambi - awesome
    Swisher - awesome
    Tino - awesome
    Cone - awesome
    Bernie - awesome
    Jeter - ok
    Posada - ok
    Clemens - eh

Crow,Tony,Joe,Yogi,Riz,2 Joes Tifoso's Avatar

Former: Frank Crosetti, hands down. Gave me 2 photos of himself. Talked to me (at his house) for well over an hour.

Ruth did not call the shot, BTW
    -Lou 27 (28 in 2014)
    Totus Tuus

NYYF Legend

Of course, I'm going to say Moose.

Giambi was really cool too. He would sign if he was around the dugout whenever we had M&G's. He once told security it was "okay" if we approached the area.
    September 28, 2008 - the day the HOF got a wake-up Moose call.

NYYF Legend

110 miles from the greatest Stadium on earth / Section 210

I belong to the WS Club of Greater Hartford and we ask players, managers, pitchers in the off-season to come to CT, have dinner, give a short talk and sign autographs. We pay their travel and whatever fee they ask. Unfortunately I just looked up Coney and he gets 20K-30K for speaking engagements. That's a bit too steep! wtf:

I met Tino in Tampa a couple of months ago & he was the nicest guy ever. Talked to us for 15-20 minutes & offered to help my friend on his business venture. Took pictures with us too!

NYYF Legend

Several years ago I had the good fortunetio attend an old timers dinner prior to their game, and found most of the old timers were great. They signed a ball that I had and engaged in conversation with me without any reservation. The most friendly were Gossage, Paul Blair, Brian Doyle, Tommy Tresh, Doc Gooden, Don Larsen and many others. The only one I found not too friendly was Joe Pepitone.

Quote Originally Posted by tonytarasco View Post
    I disagree Reggie was cool as hell with me. But overall I would say that Don Mattingly was by far the nicest that I have met.

He is cool as hell when it comes to hand shake and a smile. But when it comes to autograph - he is a NOTORIOUS single signature SOB.

By this, I mean - If you have something signed by him and if he sees someone else name on it, he will purposely OVER-SIGNED the other name(s).
    It's never about what you know, it's who you know ..... and who's willing to help you to get where you want to be.

Quote Originally Posted by newyorkyankees6 View Post
    Have you dealt with Jeter before, I am curious to know how he is with fans. Especially grown-ups.

Jeter is known not to sign items for adults - and I have seen the same person got rejected before, he will purposely carry his daughter in his arm and seeking for Jeter autograph --- and since Jeter is KNOWN to sign stuff for toddler and kids - he obligated.

I've only met Swisher, and it was at an event designed for fans to meet Swisher, but unsurprisingly he was awesome. It was a meet and greet type deal with a long line of people, but he took the time to look me in the eye, shake my hand, ask how I was doing and have a little conversation while he signed. Even though it was quick, I appreciated that it wasn't just a "hand it over, squiggle, leave" type thing.

Alright, alright, alright... Big_E's Avatar
    37 miles from the Home Office of Baseball

Met Tino, he was very cool. Steve Howe was cool too.

Fantasy Baseball: Larrupin' Lou's

NYYF Cy Young

Mariano Rivera and Ramiro Mendoza were always great signers. Both signed for my wife and me multiple times. (Every time was on the road, though. Could never get near anyone at YS, current or prior Stadium)

Also got Phil Rizzuto coming in from the players lot to YS back when he was still calling games on TV. I believe it was 4th of July 1994. We got the bottom brim of our hats signed by him, all we had. He personalized it with our names. Really great guy but I think we all know that.

Just this past August we saw Swisher during the Cleveland road trip in a restaurant dining with his wife and some family members. We had nothing for him to sign since we were just walking back from Rock 'n Roll HOF and were traveling very light. Wife had micro purse with her. No baseballs, not even a pen with us, and not even the nice camera since museum didn't allow. As he was leaving, we asked if we could just take some quick cell phone pics with him and he very cordially said yes. They came out fairly decent so my wife was thrilled. He was very gracious, shook hands, and also posed with another family that saw us with him and then freaked out and came over to him with the same request. Really nice guy. I wish we could keep him on the team but he pretty much ruined that for himself. But that's another story for another thread.
    Jimmy G. (Seniority 03/28/1994)
    1994-2008: Main Res MVP Sec. 14, Row G
    2009: Section 330, Row 6
    2010: Section 233A, Row 20
    2011: Section 229, Row 16 *All Sunday Plans*
    2012: No longer STH, liberated!

The best story I can tell comes from baltimore. If anyone has been to Camden, you know the Inner Harbor game day is crawling with yankee fans. Into the Cheesecake factory walk Jeter, Tino and Oneill. While not rude, they got to cut the wait line for a table, got a private table and put up their no autograph antenna, ignoring a little kid in a Yankee jersey

Sitting in the waiting area, with his wife and little girl, was Jeff Nelson. Nelson saw this, walked up to the kid , who was about to be in tears, and said, want to see my world series ring? Jeff was with his family, but refused to hop the line for a table, and spent a good 15 minutes with the kid while waiting to eat

Luck would have it he and his family was seated next to our group in the restaurant, I leaned over, told him it was the nicest thing I have seen in awhile and he pulled up a chair and chatted with us for 10 minutes or so. He told us that it was great that so many fans drove down to see the team play.

To this day I think back to it and think of how the supposed yankee "heroes" ignored their fans who were all paying money to see them play on the road, and a middle reliever "got it"

I've had alot of experience meeting alot of Yankees at paid and free signings. Most of them are ok.. I've never heard a good thing about Reggie and thats why I don have him in my collection. I won't give him a dime , nor will I wait in line and take the time for him.
    Gotten mo plenty of times and although he is a great signer he's kinda quiet and doesn't say much.. Atleast that's from what I've seen.. Jeter is also kind of cold , doesn't say much .
    The best experience I've had must of been cone and oniell.. Very chatty asked how I was took time to say thank you!!
    I guess it all depends on the mood they are in ,but most of them pretty much just sign and move on to the next..

A friend of mine posted the following on Facebook on May 18 of this year. He was 14 in 1977. It seems that Reggie left a long-lasting impression.

"Baseball great Reggie Jackson was born on this date in 1946. When I was 14, while at the Adams Mark Hotel in Kansas City, I approached Reg and politely asked for an autograph. Jackson stared at me for three seconds, said nothing, and walked away. Happy 66th you big jerk."
    I can't complain but sometimes I still do. - Joe Walsh

NYYF Legend

Johnny Damon is pretty fan friendly, atleast when he was a yankee.
    The real reason why the Yankees keep winning is cause the other team can't stop staring at the damn pinstripes

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by yankees2010 View Post
    The best story I can tell comes from baltimore. If anyone has been to Camden, you know the Inner Harbor game day is crawling with yankee fans. Into the Cheesecake factory walk Jeter, Tino and Oneill. While not rude, they got to cut the wait line for a table, got a private table and put up their no autograph antenna, ignoring a little kid in a Yankee jersey

Sitting in the waiting area, with his wife and little girl, was Jeff Nelson. Nelson saw this, walked up to the kid , who was about to be in tears, and said, want to see my world series ring? Jeff was with his family, but refused to hop the line for a table, and spent a good 15 minutes with the kid while waiting to eat

Luck would have it he and his family was seated next to our group in the restaurant, I leaned over, told him it was the nicest thing I have seen in awhile and he pulled up a chair and chatted with us for 10 minutes or so. He told us that it was great that so many fans drove down to see the team play.

To this day I think back to it and think of how the supposed yankee "heroes" ignored their fans who were all paying money to see them play on the road, and a middle reliever "got it"
    That's wonderful story about Nelson. You're right, sometimes it seems that more of the "non-stars" get it. I guess the others get hassled so much by fans wanting photos and autographs, they put up a wall. Glad you mentioned the Cheesecake Factory - that is definitely a player favorite and is always packed, regardless of which team is in town.

When we were in Cleveland back in 2002, every time Jeter walked through the lobby, the same group of girls, probably 13 or 14 years old, would shriek and immediately zero in, but hotel security stopped them every time. Finally on get-away day, you could tell security was tired of them. They angrily led them away, pointing to the "No Autographs" sign. Jeter called them over and said there wasn't a sign about photos, so he posed with them. My ears never recovered from that.
    September 28, 2008 - the day the HOF got a wake-up Moose call.

Quote Originally Posted by 35Knucklecurve View Post
    That's wonderful story about Nelson. You're right, sometimes it seems that more of the "non-stars" get it. I guess the others get hassled so much by fans wanting photos and autographs, they put up a wall.
    Never a Yankee, but one of the most famously fan-friendly players - and, apparently, all-around great guys - was reliever Rod Beck. When he was in AAA Iowa trying to work his way back to the majors, he lived in an RV right outside the stadium, and any and all fans were welcome to come hang out and drink beer.

http://static.espn.go.com/mlb/s/2003/0515/1554407.html
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

I've honestly never heard a bad fan story about Cone. He seems like a true extrovert who genuinely loves communicating with people.

Thread Information