+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Is Pettitte a first ballot Hall of Famer?

If he retires for good after this season, will he be a first ballot Hall of Famer when it's time to vote him in?

Re: Is Pettitte a first ballot Hall of Famer?

No. What? No he isn't.

NYYF MVP

No, Andy belongs in the Hall of Very Good.

But he's no Hall of Fame player.

To elaborate his numbers are far from overwhelming and he's an admitted HGH user. No way he gets voted in first ballot. As far as him getting in at all, nothing the HOF voters do shock me any more, but I'd be confused (not surprised) if he were ever voted in.

No...
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Agreed with those who think he won't get in at all (I mean, unless he piches the rest of this decade like he pitched in 2012). And while I wouldn't be my house on that, I pretty much would bet my house that he won't get in on the first ballot.

i think he'll get in... just not first ballot.
    EvilEmpireDC: Fans bitch about anything lol

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by snapple View Post
    I can't see it. He wasn't dominant in his era, and he didn't compile statistics in a way that will get people's attention.

He's a great Yankee, but not an all-time great.
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Fan in Boston View Post
    I can't see it. He wasn't dominant in his era, and he didn't compile statistics in a way that will get people's attention.

He's a great Yankee, but not an all-time great.
    Not to mention the number of people who won't vote for anyone with any sort of link to PEDs. Pettitte isn't getting into the HOF.

He's not a Hall of Famer, let alone a first ballot Hall of Famer.

no, using peds kinda kills it

Agreed.
    Thank you, 2013-2014 New York Rangers for a great season!

NYYFans Fantasy Baseball:
    CBS: Evil Empire
    Yahoo: Special OPS

Quote Originally Posted by pleasepassthesoup View Post
    He's not a Hall of Famer
    I don't know. Something about being a major cog in the dynasty tells me he's going to get some HoF love.
    EvilEmpireDC: Fans bitch about anything lol

I don't know. Something about being a major cog in the dynasty tells me he's going to get some HoF love.
    If he was clean, he'd be borderline. Since he got caught doing HGH, he's no longer borderline.

NYYF Legend

First ballot. No and hell no.

Voted in? Possibly depending on how watered down the pool gets and how many more wins he tacks on if he keeps pitching a few more years.

Veterans committee? Depends how they feel about admited HGH usage then.

Hall of very good - he's near the top of the list.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

prob not even going to get in. people tend to underrate late 90's pitchers because of the high offensive environment crushing trad. stats
    always reasonable

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by awy View Post
    prob not even going to get in. people tend to underrate late 90's pitchers because of the high offensive environment crushing trad. stats
    Guys like Randy Johnson, Greg Maddux and Pedro Martinez are under rated? Those are just 3 that come to mind quickly. I'm sure if I looked I'd find a few more that are well ahead of Pettitee.
    Baseball is life;

Crow,Tony,Joe,Yogi,Riz,2 Joes Tifoso's Avatar

But wouldn't that mean that he was an even better pitcher considering the ridiculous offensive power? What am I missing?
    -Lou 27 (28 in 2014)
    Totus Tuus

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    Guys like Randy Johnson, Greg Maddux and Pedro Martinez are under rated? Those are just 3 that come to mind quickly. I'm sure if I looked I'd find a few more that are well ahead of Pettitee.
    historically speaking? yes. those stats are better than the saem stats now. obviously those guys were very good, but the standard for the hall tend to be without sensible adjustments to era. far fewer pitchers get in, fewer good hitters from 'tough' positions get in, especially in pitching dominated enviornemnts
    always reasonable

Quote Originally Posted by Tifoso View Post
    But wouldn't that mean that he was an even better pitcher considering the ridiculous offensive power? What am I missing?
    yes, that's what i am saying.
    always reasonable

NYYF Legend

historically speaking? yes. those stats are better than the saem stats now. obviously those guys were very good, but the standard for the hall tend to be without sensible adjustments to era. far fewer pitchers get in, fewer good hitters from 'tough' positions get in, especially in pitching dominated enviornemnts
    Martinez, Randy Johnson, Maddux wouldn't be underrated. They're all time great in any era. Moose and Schilling are the victims there. They have solid HOF career but are underrated because of the era and overshadowing by the inner circle HOFers.

Quote Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
    Martinez, Randy Johnson, Maddux wouldn't be underrated. They're all time great in any era. Moose and Schilling are the victims there. They have solid HOF career but are underrated because of the era and overshadowing by the inner circle HOFers.
    Schilling's biggest problem is that he waited until his mid-30s before he started having a HOF career.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

NYYF Legend

If you want an under-represented class of pitchers looks at pitchers who started their career from about 1975 - 1985. I can't think of 1 (non-closer) picther from that group who is in the hall. It is why Jack Morris who probably doesn't belong in the Hall is one day going to get elected as he's "arguably the best from that era".

A number of pitchers from the early to mid-90s (Pettitte's starting point) are sure to get in the hall.

Andy has consistently very good number but has no real peak seasons to say ooooh and no pretty compilation numbers like 300 wins. There were also few if any seasons where he was clearly the best starting pitcher on his own team.
    Baseball is life;

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
    Yes but you get compared not only to the existing hall but how you did in your own era. When you have 3 all time greats from one era, the step below tends to look poor by comparison.

I was commenting that the late 90s produced 3 all time greats - 4 if you want to count a steriod fueled rocketbooster so was wondering how it could possibly be "underated". Add in 300 winner Tom Glavine, borderline HOF Smoltz how w/o injuries is probably not borderline. And where is t he underrating coming from in the late 90s?
    Baseball is life;

The gerbil lives Zimmers' Helmet's Avatar

Tommy John isn't in the HOF, so Pettitte won't get in either - regardless of HGH.
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

Thread Information