View Poll Results: What should we do with Cano?

Voters
188. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, give him the big extension

26 13.83%
  • No, let him hit free agency & take our chances with a lesser offer

105 55.85%
  • Trade him for prospects

57 30.32%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7 14 15 16 17

Re: Should we give Cano a 10 year deal?

Quote Originally Posted by NerfBall55 View Post
    I can't see Jay Z not going for the max for his first high profile client.
    I can see Jay-Z telling Cano that it's more profittable to sign in NY for 7 or 8 years than it is signing in a mid-market for 10.
    Jay-Z is a money printer when it comes to exposure and he sees Cano as the heir to Jeter in NY.
    “Begin each day as if it were on purpose........”—Alex Hitchens

Quote Originally Posted by effdamets View Post
    I can see Jay-Z telling Cano that it's more profittable to sign in NY for 7 or 8 years than it is signing in a mid-market for 10.
    Jay-Z is a money printer when it comes to exposure and he sees Cano as the heir to Jeter in NY.
    Yeah, and Jay-Z is spot on with that analysis.
    EvilEmpireDC: Fans bitch about anything lol

If that's what Jay-Z thinks and what he advises, then he should immediately sign Cano to a merchandising contract that would make up the difference.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    If that's what Jay-Z thinks and what he advises, then he should immediately sign Cano to a merchandising contract that would make up the difference.
    Well - I've seen a few different comercials featuring Cano already.

This is just not true. Baseball players don't get a lot of endorsement money, unless you're Derek Jeter.

Jeter makes ~10 million a year off endorsements. After that it drops off to like 2.5m (Mauer) then I can't think of anyone that makes 7 figures off endorsements.

Cano's a great baseball player but he's no Derek Jeter when it comes to marketability.

Quote Originally Posted by grizy View Post
    This is just not true. Baseball players don't get a lot of endorsement money, unless you're Derek Jeter.

Jeter makes ~10 million a year off endorsements. After that it drops off to like 2.5m (Mauer) then I can't think of anyone that makes 7 figures off endorsements.

Cano's a great baseball player but he's no Derek Jeter when it comes to marketability.
    Maybe Jay-Z thinks he can change that with Cano?

Maybe Jay-Z thinks he can change that with Cano?
    Cano's heavy accent will limit his marketability. He doesn't make a great TV spokesman.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Cano's heavy accent will limit his marketability. He doesn't make a great TV spokesman.
    First of all, there are plenty of people in the greater NY metro area with similar accents, but furthermore, Cano doesn't need to say anything. Look at that smile. Million dollar smile.

Quote Originally Posted by RenoHightower View Post
    First of all, there are plenty of people in the greater NY metro area with similar accents, but furthermore, Cano doesn't need to say anything. Look at that smile. Million dollar smile.
    I'm not putting him down at all, and I don't care about his accent. All I'm saying is that it will limit his marketability on TV, which it obviously will.
    - Barry Manilow

I'm not putting him down at all, and I don't care about his accent. All I'm saying is that it will limit his marketability on TV, which it obviously will.
    This is correct.

I googled a bit to find a list of the highest paid athletes and their endorsements. As it turned out a few more baseball players make millions in endorsements. It's a very interesting list. Floyd Mayweather is on top with 85 million... from two fights, including his share of PPV receipts.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/spe...sct=hp_t11_a0#

The baseball players on the list still make a lot less in endorsements than athletes from other sports. To get 7 figure endorsement money, you basically have to be a nationally recognized figure. When you're that good, it doesn't matter all that much where you play.

For a superstar on Cano's level and the fact that he plays for the most recognizable team in America, it is a bit surprising that his profile is low and does not get much in the terms of endorsements. That could be partly because he is hard to understand at times (though is English has been perfected) and he is over-shadowed by the star power (not baseball skills) of the likes of Jeter, Rivera, and ARod

Jay Z will help in that regard
    “He's a clown. Guy says he's from the 209, what the ................ is that?

-CC Sabathia on Dallas Braden

NYYF Triple Crown

Two beautiful rural acres in Windham, Maine

Quote Originally Posted by RenoHightower View Post
    There's truth to this. Some endorsements lean on the visual one dimensional media like print. His photo holding up a beverage he endorses, or posing in front of a major hotel chain's front entrance, or in the driver's seat of a brand new Lexus could net him a quick few million.
    Yankee fan living in Maine.

NYYF Legend

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseba...roll-1.5276679
    In looking ahead to next year, Steinbrenner's plans also include a significant investment in Robinson Cano, despite the turmoil he caused earlier this season in dumping Scott Boras for a new agency headed by rapper Jay-Z, who is working with CAA's point man, Brodie Van Wagenen.
    "We've had several conversations with Brodie, just as we did with Scott and a lot of it is procedural," Steinbrenner said. "But we're going to continue in the weeks to come to work through things and try to come to an agreement."
    Steinbrenner sounded optimistic that will happen, and not because Cano's firing of Boras seems to lessen his chances of automatically testing free agency.
    "I don't know," Steinbrenner said. "I still have faith that the player has a big say in it, and I know that Robby wants to be there, and Robby knows that we want him to be here. We want him to end his career here.
    "I think to me, whether I'm right or not, that plays a big part into it regardless of who the agent is. But we're going to continue to try and push ahead and get something done. We want him to be a Yankee."

Thread Information