View Poll Results: What should we do with Cano?

Voters
188. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, give him the big extension

26 13.83%
  • No, let him hit free agency & take our chances with a lesser offer

105 55.85%
  • Trade him for prospects

57 30.32%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast

Re: Should we give Cano a 10 year deal?

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    well the NYY were dumb as hell to re-sign him after the opt out. He should actually be released, IMO.
    Without question. I'm just saying that the first deal (numbers wise), A-Rod worked out for Texas & NY.

The 2nd 10-year deal is an abomination.

The 2012 Jeter was a surprise gem, but he is done

The 2013 Jeter will likely be ineffective and stuck with him for 2014 as well.

Expect zero from A-Roid and he's signed for many more years.

I expect Cano will go with the money in the end, Yanks will be hard pressed to give him a shorter deal like 6/165 instead of 8/200

Yanks don't look to be a great team for the next 5 years, esp. the next 2 years. Cano will go to LAA or LAD...they can't pay the guy 30mm and pay A-roid for nothing and stay under 189mm ( or whatever it is ) and be competitive

NYYF Legend

The 2012 Jeter was a surprise gem, but he is done

The 2013 Jeter will likely be ineffective and stuck with him for 2014 as well.

Expect zero from A-Roid and he's signed for many more years.

I expect Cano will go with the money in the end, Yanks will be hard pressed to give him a shorter deal like 6/165 instead of 8/200

Yanks don't look to be a great team for the next 5 years, esp. the next 2 years. Cano will go to LAA or LAD...they can't pay the guy 30mm and pay A-roid for nothing and stay under 189mm ( or whatever it is ) and be competitive
    Lighten up Francis

Quote Originally Posted by Sixty one View Post
    Four years at the most should be the length of his new contract. Think of what has happened to other long term contracts and you'll know why longer ones just don't work!
    Stop being sensible. You're ruining the entertainment value of threads like these.
    Roger Maris = single season "natural" home-run record-holder.

Quote Originally Posted by teknetic View Post
    The 2010 and 2011 playoffs never happened.
    In that case the 2005-2007 & 2009 playoffs never included Mr. Cano... Just saying.
    "It is almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is playing golf." -Robert Wilson Lynd

These restrictions are getting tighter and tighter by you folks. I understand all the reasons why long contracts are bad, I get it really I do. But I'd really love to know what we're going to do to replace him. What would the team need to add not only to the lineup but on the field. He's worth a little risk. I'm not saying 10 years, but you pay for his productive years and eat another one.

I'm not all that worried though. I think they will come up with something that works for both parties. Doesn't matter what we think.
    NYYFans Fantasy Baseball - Evil Empire

“Losers look stuff up while the rest of us are out carpin’ all them diems”

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    But I'd really love to know what we're going to do to replace him. What would the team need to add not only to the lineup but on the field. He's worth a little risk. I'm not saying 10 years, but you pay for his productive years and eat another one.

I'm not all that worried though. I think they will come up with something that works for both parties. Doesn't matter what we think.
    I get that he's irreplaceable, but on the flip side, are the Yankees good enough that having a Cano-type player will make or break them? For the next 3-4 years, at least, it looks like the answer might be no. I'm no downer like some of the people on here, but realistically, there's a ton of uncertainty around this team, especially after the mass exodus of veterans which may come at the end of this year. We don't want to end up giving Cano the world and then having him be the superstar [and eventually, the declining, aging former superstar] on a team that's overall mired in mediocrity.

But I agree with your prediction. The Yankees are going to make this deal happen; they seem to really want an "identity" after the core four retires. I fear they'll panic and give him too much, actually. But either way, they're going to sign him.

NYYF Legend

Cano is just totally locked in, sign him now!!!
    The real reason why the Yankees keep winning is cause the other team can't stop staring at the damn pinstripes

NYYF Legend

If anyone were worthy at this point, it would be Cano, but the answer is no, no, a thousand times no.

NYYF Triple Crown

The Yankees and Robinson Cano "would appear to very badly want to reach a deal," CBS Sports' Jon Heyman reports. Despite this mutual interest between the two sides, there is apparently a large gap in salary demands --- the Yankees were looking at David Wright's eight-year/$138MM extension with the Mets as a comparable while Heyman thinks Cano's agents at CAA may aim as high as Alex Rodriguez's 10-year/$275MM deal. There is no earthly way the Yankees would hand Cano (or probably anyone) another A-Rod contract but I agree with Heyman's citations of Joey Votto and Prince Fielder's recent contracts as good comparables for a Cano extension. $200MM is the bare minimum for Cano's next deal, whether it's with the Yankees or another team.
    http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/0...es-royals.html
    Jimmy G. (Seniority 03/28/1994)
    1994-2008: Main Res MVP Sec. 14, Row G
    2009: Section 330, Row 6
    2010: Section 233A, Row 20
    2011: Section 229, Row 16 *All Sunday Plans*
    2012: No longer STH, liberated!

Hah, the Wright contract is probably the floor.

Welp, it probably doesn't hurt to ask.
    Thank you for making me calm today, Brett Gardner

cut the difference so 200mish

Quote Originally Posted by awy View Post
    cut the difference so 200mish
    The Yankees have a pretty good case for why Cano shouldn't get an A-Rod type of contract. Namely, how Cano doesn't hit 40+ homers in a season.
    Thank you for making me calm today, Brett Gardner

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by SoCal Pinstriper View Post
    If anyone were worthy at this point, it would be Cano, but the answer is no, no, a thousand times no.
    Right, or should I say "Righteous dude"?

Canó is an excellent second baseman defensively and a power hitter offensively so I believe that he has a long career ahead of him so he's worth a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by nyyfan61 View Post
    I get that he's irreplaceable, but on the flip side, are the Yankees good enough that having a Cano-type player will make or break them? For the next 3-4 years, at least, it looks like the answer might be no. I'm no downer like some of the people on here, but realistically, there's a ton of uncertainty around this team, especially after the mass exodus of veterans which may come at the end of this year. We don't want to end up giving Cano the world and then having him be the superstar [and eventually, the declining, aging former superstar] on a team that's overall mired in mediocrity.

But I agree with your prediction. The Yankees are going to make this deal happen; they seem to really want an "identity" after the core four retires. I fear they'll panic and give him too much, actually. But either way, they're going to sign him.
    Well we always know the Yankees are going to do what it takes to be a contender. Even now while half the team is injured and mired in bad contracts they did what it took to make sure the team at least on paper looked like it could produce. So in my opinion, yes I believe having Cano (or a Cano type player) is the difference in the Yankees contending or not.

Cano is a guy you go out to get. The best thing is he's here now and there will be no grand welcoming, no city shock, nothing. He will continue to be Robbie Cano. The Yankees are shedding all these contracts soon. If we go forward with one mega deal on the roster it's not as bad as you may think. They went nuts with those deals when those deals were necessary to make. Now it's just Cano. So I don't think, even in his declining years, it will hurt the team as much as it's been hyped up to do.
    NYYFans Fantasy Baseball - Evil Empire

“Losers look stuff up while the rest of us are out carpin’ all them diems”

Quote Originally Posted by snapple View Post
    The Yankees have a pretty good case for why Cano shouldn't get an A-Rod type of contract. Namely, how Cano doesn't hit 40+ homers in a season.
    I don't think that's a particularly good argument since that's just one facet of the game. And also because he hit 33 HRs last year, is on pace for close to 50 this year, and plays second base.

But I don't think anyone should get an A-Rod type of contract.

cano doesn't have a particularly good approach at the plate, so if his physical skills decline it's possible for him to be bad rather fast.

Quote Originally Posted by awy View Post
    cano doesn't have a particularly good approach at the plate, so if his physical skills decline it's possible for him to be bad rather fast.
    See Josh Hamilton.

or Albert Pujols....but he might be 40 already !

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Quote Originally Posted by jcarey View Post
    But I don't think anyone should get an A-Rod type of contract.
    Least of all, ARod.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

and A-Roid was dumb enough to opt out of it and the yanks dumb enough to resign him !

Crow,Tony,Joe,Yogi,Riz,2 Joes Tifoso's Avatar

and A-Roid was dumb enough to opt out of it and the yanks dumb enough to resign him !
    Careful. That is not allowed here.
    -Lou
    27 (28 in 2017)
    Totus Tuus

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

The highlighted part of this comment to this day baffles me.

As I recall (and my memory has never been that great), when ARod opted out of his contract, no one was really bidding for his services. Yet the Yankees felt compelled to sign a 32 year old player to a ten year contract at more dollars than the desperate Texas Rangers had signed him for.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

Thread Information