View Poll Results: What should we do with Cano?

Voters
188. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, give him the big extension

26 13.83%
  • No, let him hit free agency & take our chances with a lesser offer

105 55.85%
  • Trade him for prospects

57 30.32%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Re: Should we give Cano a 10 year deal?

Quote Originally Posted by Kismetized View Post
    I disagree with this, GM's will give up prospects of value if they smell a chance at a WS run. The Mets got Zack Wheeler for a couple of months of Beltran and he is now regarded as one of the better pitching prospects in the game.
    Sure, so is Cashman going to hire an outside firm to develop those prospects because New York's track record isn't that good. Those so-called prospects need to be can't miss, on the fast track, made to order, major league ready talent at the time of the trade to peak my interest.

I'm still holding out hope they can resign him. There's so much complaining about length of contact but the truth is nobody knows what the baseball landscape will look like 8 to 10 years from now, what the farm will look like, who'll be the general manager, what New York's budget will be set at or what the roster will even look like. I'm pretty sure that Cano's contract 8 years from now will look like a real lightweight compared to some of the other contracts going around.

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Quote Originally Posted by Benefactor View Post
    Sure, so is Cashman going to hire an outside firm to develop those prospects because New York's track record isn't that good. Those so-called prospects need to be can't miss, on the fast track, made to order, major league ready talent at the time of the trade to peak my interest.

I'm still holding out hope they can resign him. There's so much complaining about length of contact but the truth is nobody knows what the baseball landscape will look like 8 to 10 years from now, what the farm will look like, who'll be the general manager, what New York's budget will be set at or what the roster will even look like. I'm pretty sure that Cano's contract 8 years from now will look like a real lightweight compared to some of the other contracts going around.
    Your point is well taken, but there are probably those individuals who made the same comment about ARod's contract when it was signed.

The true issue that the Yankees have to avoid is the multiple unhealthy contracts - one contract is survivable. Two (in today's terms, ARod & Tex) becomes unmanageable.

I hope the Yankees can get creative and sign Cano to a reasonable contract - at age 30, the Yankees had Jeter signed through his age 36 season. Signing Cano to a big contract through his age 37 season would not be a bad move, but going to age 40 on big dollars is, IMO, a few years too far.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

Devoted Member

Quote Originally Posted by Benefactor View Post

I love Cano. Love everything about his game and don't buy the "lazy" nonsense. I've never seen anyone turn the DP like he does. He's on a HOF trajectory.

That said, he ain't worth $20 mil a year and there isn't a team in baseball (other than the NYY) that's going to give him that kind of money per season or more than 5 years. So why should the Yankees? I think people here are really overestimating the market for him. Rightly or wrongly probably about half of "baseball people" think that Pedroia is a better player and he's only making $10 mil. How can anyone justify Cano at $20 mil?

In the long run if they can improve the team by dealing him for a young player or two who are close to being ready to play in NY and using the money elsewhere then they should consider it.
    DFA ARod.

Quote Originally Posted by Gigi Buffon View Post
    I love Cano. Love everything about his game and don't buy the "lazy" nonsense. I've never seen anyone turn the DP like he does. He's on a HOF trajectory.

That said, he ain't worth $20 mil a year and there isn't a team in baseball (other than the NYY) that's going to give him that kind of money per season or more than 5 years. So why should the Yankees? I think people here are really overestimating the market for him. Rightly or wrongly probably about half of "baseball people" think that Pedroia is a better player and he's only making $10 mil. How can anyone justify Cano at $20 mil?

In the long run if they can improve the team by dealing him for a young player or two who are close to being ready to play in NY and using the money elsewhere then they should consider it.
    Are you serious? The Dodgers currently have 36 year old Mark Ellis manning 2B, he who was the owner of a robust .697 OPS last season. They also have an organizational dearth of talent available at that position. They are probably drooling at the prospect of Cano hitting FA.

Forum Regular

I have never believed that Cano can lead out team and make our offense click. He is a good player but I do not think he deserves or is worth what he might be demanding. Trade him for some good prospects and possibly sign him as a free agent.

Quote Originally Posted by Gigi Buffon View Post

At the very least just narrowing down 2B he is offensively so far ahead of his peers there is tremendous value there. And he's a great defender. Looking at him compared to the league he is among the best in the game. Going by market value he is certainly worth that much.

Quote Originally Posted by OhioYankee View Post
    I have never believed that Cano can lead out team and make our offense click. He is a good player but I do not think he deserves or is worth what he might be demanding. Trade him for some good prospects and possibly sign him as a free agent.
    He's not good, he is elite. He's a guy you build your team around. Who exactly replaces him at second AND hits in the middle of the order? No one. He deserves and should be paid a lot of money. The only thing I worry about is the years on the contract. But sometimes you have to bite it in order to get what he gives.
    Please sign David Robertson and Chase Headley.

I love Cano. But he's a product of pure talent. He's a wonderfully talented offensive player and an excellent defensive player. BUT.... he's an amazingly undisciplined hitter. Almost always has been (with exception of a year a few years ago where he looked like he had a plan most at bats). He's a see the ball, hit the ball kind of batter. His talent is so extraordinary that it works, but I'm very worried that as his skill start to slightly erode his game will go south quicker than usual. He needs to be able to always murder pitches in the zone and be able to get to pitches outside the zone to remain at this level. Unless something strikes him and he becomes a more selective hitter, I'm very wary of locking him up long term.

I don't think he's physically lazy, but I do believe he sometimes becomes mentally so. He gives away at bats more than any other great player I can recall.

NYYF Legend

maybe we should let him regrow his facial hair?
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

I don't think he's lazy at all. I think things come so easy to him he makes it look easy which in turn makes it look lazy. For him to be where he is and to be as good as he is you have to work hard. What it looks like and what it is, imo, is worlds apart.

I think this idea that he's lazy is just something that became a wildly popular knock on him and it's a fallback argument for people. Cano is the man. He is the most valuable player on the Yankees right now. The thought of him going anywhere bothers me, and the thought that people are going with that idea bothers me even more. He's a player you trade for. A player you build your team around. Not one you trade away. You cannot replace what he brings to this team. I'm not sure people understand the value of having an outstanding middle infielder who hits in the middle of the order.

Quote Originally Posted by gold23 View Post
    I love Cano. But he's a product of pure talent. He's a wonderfully talented offensive player and an excellent defensive player. BUT.... he's an amazingly undisciplined hitter. Almost always has been (with exception of a year a few years ago where he looked like he had a plan most at bats). He's a see the ball, hit the ball kind of batter. His talent is so extraordinary that it works, but I'm very worried that as his skill start to slightly erode his game will go south quicker than usual. He needs to be able to always murder pitches in the zone and be able to get to pitches outside the zone to remain at this level. Unless something strikes him and he becomes a more selective hitter, I'm very wary of locking him up long term.

I don't think he's physically lazy, but I do believe he sometimes becomes mentally so. He gives away at bats more than any other great player I can recall.
    You're right. I didn't realize his plate discipline was so bad. Checked Fangraphs o-swing % ( O-Swing% - Percentage of pitches a batter swings at outside the strike zone (PITCHf/x) and Cano's career # is 35%. His best year was last year @ 32%. Form what I can tell, most players average around 25%

My impression was that he was really wild, but has been much more selective in recent years. The stats tell a different story
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdvM0IB5Sbs

MICRO PASSIVE/MICRO AGGRESSIVE

Devoted Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    At the very least just narrowing down 2B he is offensively so far ahead of his peers there is tremendous value there. And he's a great defender. Looking at him compared to the league he is among the best in the game. Going by market value he is certainly worth that much.

He's not good, he is elite. He's a guy you build your team around. Who exactly replaces him at second AND hits in the middle of the order? No one. He deserves and should be paid a lot of money. The only thing I worry about is the years on the contract. But sometimes you have to bite it in order to get what he gives.
    But history and common sense tell you most middle infielders, evne the best ones, are on the down side at 35. Why should the Yankees be on the hook for 4 or 5 unproductive years at the end of an 8 year contract? That's how we got in this current mess with corner infielders. There are only outliers-Jeter and Joe Morgan, who kept performing at a top level after 35. More likely Cano at 35 and older is going to produce like Alex Rodriguez, Rollins, Utley or Larkin-done.

The Yankees know too well that long term big dollar deals for older players don't work. Thye might very well overpay Cano and they will do so knowing at the end of the contract Cano will be stealing their money.
    pitching, pitching and pitching

I don't think he's lazy at all. I think things come so easy to him he makes it look easy which in turn makes it look lazy. For him to be where he is and to be as good as he is you have to work hard. What it looks like and what it is, imo, is worlds apart.

I think this idea that he's lazy is just something that became a wildly popular knock on him and it's a fallback argument for people. Cano is the man. He is the most valuable player on the Yankees right now. The thought of him going anywhere bothers me, and the thought that people are going with that idea bothers me even more. He's a player you trade for. A player you build your team around. Not one you trade away. You cannot replace what he brings to this team. I'm not sure people understand the value of having an outstanding middle infielder who hits in the middle of the order.
    That's really touching. But he's not worth what he wants. Period.

So let's get some talent for him while we can and let one of our overpaid players experience their decline in someone else's uniform for a change.

If people really think he is replaceable, then wow.

Released Outright

Let him walk. If another team wants to give him ten years it's their loss. If the team is way out of contention by the deadline then you trade him for the highest offer.

Giving him ten years is bad for business. Me thinks they compromise at 7 or 8.

Is there anybody out there that would really give him 10 years? Fielder, Cabrera and Hamilton didnt even get 10 years.
    If you listen to the fans you’ll be sitting with them soon enough.- Brian Cashman

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Quote Originally Posted by R.V.47 View Post
    Is there anybody out there that would really give him 10 years? Fielder, Cabrera and Hamilton didnt even get 10 years.
    The Hamilton situation was for obvious reasons.

As for Fielder, he did get a nine year deal in free agency - I was surprised it was that long, because his body type strikes me as the type that will break down as he ages.

Cabrera - are you referring to Miggy? When you are talking about something that is five years in the past, I am not sure how relevant it is to the current environment.

Still, I have to agree with your original question - is there anyone out there that would really give Cano a ten year deal? We have seen that ownership/management has suddenly gotten a sense of responsibility. Perhaps those days are, in fact, Gone With the Wind (and, frankly my dear, I would give a damn).
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

Quote Originally Posted by DonnieTinoTex View Post
    That's really touching. But he's not worth what he wants. Period.

So let's get some talent for him while we can and let one of our overpaid players experience their decline in someone else's uniform for a change.
    It wasn't meant to be touching. It's meant to be realistic. You can trade for all the talent you want but odds are there won't be another Robbie Cano in that pool. If they trade him and we're left with this aging and injured lot of players you may be looking at a seriously long drought.

NYYF Legend

Four years at the most should be the length of his new contract. Think of what has happened to other long term contracts and you'll know why longer ones just don't work!

I agree with this all. By all accounts, as well as common sense, the man works his butt off to be a great baseball player. I don't think he's lazy in that sense at all.

Whether the term is lazy or disinterested, there IS evidence that he is not full bore 100% all the time during games. He often jogs to 1B on balls, he sometimes is caught looking at balls he thinks are gone but bang off the wall, etc. He's not even close to the only one who does this, but since he's so good he tends to stand out. I don't think that should cause any concern long term, other than being somewhat annoying from a fan standpoint that the best player isn't doing what we should expect him to do- bust it every second he's on the field. Unfortunately in 2013, that's the norm.

My concern is the type of great player that he is. A player who succeeds mostly because of outlandish ability, and whose approach would not work if that ability was diminished.

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by gold23 View Post

Absolutely. And that's also why he's not worth 10 years. Not even 7-8 years (although that's what it would take to sign him). What happens when his power declines as he gets older? he will just keep hacking away like there's no tomorrow. He was never a selective hitter and that's his Achilles heel.

Quote Originally Posted by Vin View Post
    Absolutely. And that's also why he's not worth 10 years. Not even 7-8 years (although that's what it would take to sign him). What happens when his power declines as he gets older? he will just keep hacking away like there's no tomorrow. He was never a selective hitter and that's his Achilles heel.
    Even though I agree with this and it's basically what I wrote, I still think the Yanks should sign him. For a myriad of reasons. One, they have to. The Yankees business needs at least one premiere offensive player in his prime. Two, the terrible contracts will be off the books by the time Cano is in decline.

I hope that with all I've said about Cano that my feelings on a long term contract are not good. I don't like a ridiculous 10 years either. My feelings are give him a huge amount of money for less years. Pay for his productive years and not be stuck with the end like ARod. I'm not sure if he'd go with that but there has to be a number.

Devoted Member

I hope that with all I've said about Cano that my feelings on a long term contract are not good. I don't like a ridiculous 10 years either. My feelings are give him a huge amount of money for less years. Pay for his productive years and not be stuck with the end like ARod. I'm not sure if he'd go with that but there has to be a number.
    Do you have any confidence the Yankees would be able to effectively negotiate an even remotely team friendly contract? I don't. Their negotiations with Cano will start at seven years and get worse from there.

You can always replace a player's contribution if not the player himself. If Cano were dealt they would be weaker at 2B but have a chance to improve elsewhere. Wins are wins.
    DFA ARod.

As much as I hate the idea of Cano getting a 10 year deal, I'd hate it less if Tex, CC, and A-Rod weren't on the books for as long as they are.

//edit

Never mind, it'd still be really bad

Thread Information