View Poll Results: What should we do with Cano?

Voters
188. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, give him the big extension

26 13.83%
  • No, let him hit free agency & take our chances with a lesser offer

105 55.85%
  • Trade him for prospects

57 30.32%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Re: Should we give Cano a 10 year deal?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...nson-cano-spat

I understand why people are cautious about a long term deal for Cano considering A-Rod...

But it's not written in stone that Cano's career will end up like A-Rods. Jeter and Rivera have been playing some great baseball in their later years. There is no reason to think Cano could not do the same.

NYYF Legend

No but guarenteeing him 20+MM a year is too big a gamble to take. It's easy to spend someone elses money, but if it were mine, it's a gamble I wouldn't take

Andy
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

Quote Originally Posted by Nome View Post
    No but guarenteeing him 20+MM a year is too big a gamble to take. It's easy to spend someone elses money, but if it were mine, it's a gamble I wouldn't take

Andy
    Good point, of course.

If we are going to give big money to players, it might as well be someone who has proven he can perform in pinstripes.

I'm afraid someone else out there will give him the deal he wants. I'd love to get him on a 6 or maybe 7 year deal. He is worth being paid as much as any other hitter in baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by SatchelPaigeYankee View Post
    how about a back-loaded contract? the yankees don't need a sub-189 budget forever, just by 2014, when the luxury tax clock resets
    It goes by AAV, so no dice on that.

It's a shame the Yankees didn't have just one more option year in his current deal, so they could try to get to $189MM and negotiate with Cano the following offseason when they had a bit more theoretical flexibility. Although even in that circumstance, just say no to 10 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Pierre View Post
    Good point, of course.

If we are going to give big money to players, it might as well be someone who has proven he can perform in pinstripes.

I'm afraid someone else out there will give him the deal he wants. I'd love to get him on a 6 or maybe 7 year deal. He is worth being paid as much as any other hitter in baseball.
    Although the current line of thinking is that the FO will bite the bullet to get under $189 in '14 and then potentially spend back up with less financial penalties, I still think even beyond '14 the days of them just slinging money around because they can are over. And at some level, I'm ok with that. I think contracts for elite players have gone insane in this sport considering it is guaranteed money. Committing at that type of AAV for a decade is just out of balance.

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Good point, of course.

I think the Yankees would love to get him for 6/$120M, but there is no way in Hades that Boras lets him sign that deal - Boras is convinced that 10/$200M+ is out there to be had and it that kind of deal that me.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

My guess is Cano gets something like 185/8 a 15 million option with 5 million buyout tacked on at the end.

That gets him 190/8 guaranteed or 200/9.

If he gets 200/10, it's gonna be backend loaded just to get the dollar figure but in PV values it's gonna be close to what I suggested.

If you feel he is going to get 200 over 9 years, why would someone have to backload a 200/10 deal?

NYYF HOF

50 people wanna trade Cano....WTF
    NYYFANS.com Fantasy Baseball: Carolina Force
    2010 & 2011 Gehrig Division Champs.

Quote Originally Posted by The FUTURE View Post
    If it's between trading him for prospects and giving him a 10 year deal, I would definitely prefer trading him.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by The FUTURE View Post
    If you assume that Cano will get his ten year contract (and I, for one, do believe he could get such a deal) and that the Yankees want no interest in such a contract (ibid), then the question becomes - is a compensatory draft pick between the 1st & 2nd rounds of the 2015 amateur draft worth more than the players/prospects that Cano could bring back in trade.

If Cano announced today that he was signing a five year $100M contract with the Yankees, I would be thrilled, ecstatic, bombastic. But he won't - he signed with Boras for one reason and one reason only. To get as many years and as much money in free agency that he can. Plain and simple.

Right now, the Yankees have both Corban Joseph and David Adams who could step in and, while not providing the dynamic bat that Cano has, perform respectfully at 2B at the major league minimum.

Trade Cano for a decent package and let one of them play 2B - rather than watching someone who lollygags his way through the game (shades of Bull Durham), we would have a player who actually wants to play the game.

NYYF Legend

Robinson Cano dumps agent Scott Boras
    http://www.latimes.com/sports/sports...,3044515.story

NYYF Legend

It's funny how we as fans want the Yankees to be at their best and we have, as Yankee fans, expectations that the Yankees will field a strong team with All-star type players. And with the 2013 team filled with question marks, injuries, and thus filled with cast-offs, pretty much we all are expressing our disappointment. Yet looking at the poll, the vast majority would rather see Cano hit free-agency with a lesser amount offered or simply trade him. The Yankees really need an All-Star player like Cano at this point and I shudder at the thought of letting him hit the free agent market.

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 2JAY View Post
    It's funny how we as fans want the Yankees to be at their best and we have, as Yankee fans, expectations that the Yankees will field a strong team with All-star type players. And with the 2013 team filled with question marks, injuries, and thus filled with cast-offs, pretty much we all are expressing our disappointment. Yet looking at the poll, the vast majority would rather see Cano hit free-agency with a lesser amount offered or simply trade him. The Yankees really need an All-Star player like Cano at this point and I shudder at the thought of letting him hit the free agent market.
    That's because we know the challenges that giving a 10 year deal to a guy over 30 cause long term. If the deal was for a shorter time frame, I imagine more people would support it.
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Fan in Boston View Post
    That's because we know the challenges that giving a 10 year deal to a guy over 30 cause long term. If the deal was for a shorter time frame, I imagine more people would support it.
    Cano is age 30 and, while I want to keep him as a Yankee, I don't want to see him signed past age 37 at the oldest.

Right now, he is in the final year of a contract that pays him $15M this season. I say offer a 5 year/$125M contract extension to Cano. This contract offer, for luxury tax purposes, would translate to $23.33M, if I am not mistaken

This contract would take him to his age 35 season (his birthday is late October, so his age remains the same throughout each season).

Offer him vesting options based on 600 PA at $25M for each of the next two seasons (age 36 & age 37) - if he stays healthy, he gets a 7 year/$175M contract. If not, then the Yankees are not stuck with a non-producing player aged 36.

the yankees can carry a cano in his late 30's and being overpaid by say 10m a season for a couple years. the problem is whether he'll decline earlier than that, say by his 34-35 season. THAT is the outcome that will ................ up things badly
    always reasonable

No two players are alike. By the time Cano reaches his mid 30's, CC, Teixeira, and presumably Jeter would be off the books. While not ideal, it wouldn't hurt the bottom line if one player on the roster was being overpaid into his late thirties unless your goal as team owner is to transform this once formidable cash cow into the small market Kansas City Royals. The Yankees still need a player to build around and Cano has the talent and ability to be that guy for the foreseeable future. The Yankees have absorbed bad contracts in the past and they will learn to absorb them in the future.

That is, unless your content with this roundabout of signing retreads and has beens to one or two year deals to continue for the next 10 to 15 years.
    Last edited by Benefactor; 04-04-13 at 08:37 AM.

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Benefactor View Post
    No two players are alike. By the time Cano reaches his mid 30's, CC, Teixeira, and presumably Jeter would be off the books. While not ideal, it wouldn't hurt the bottom line if one player on the roster was being overpaid into his late thirties unless your goal as team owner is to transform this once formidable cash cow into the small market Kansas City Royals. The Yankees still need a player to build around and Cano has the talent and ability to be that guy for the foreseeable future. The Yankees have absorbed bad contracts in the past and they will learn to absorb them in the future.

That is, unless your content with this roundabout of signing retreads and has beens to one or two year deals to continue for the next 10 to 15 years.
    First of all, this is a ridiculous way to look at the choices the Yankees have. Most great players don't get 10 year deals, and FA is not the only place to get talent.

My point was that most folks (rightly) think a 10 year deal is a bad idea, not that he shouldn't get a megadeal. It's most likely that he's going to be overpaid at the end of a long term deal -- that's life. But there's a huge difference between doing that till Cano is in his late 30s and when he turns 41.
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

NYYF Triple Crown

10 years is way too long. I love Robby, but that's just too much.
    Of course, the Yankees might not have a choice if they want to keep Cano. While the Yankees would prefer a shorter, cheaper, more flexible contract, Cano won't. Negotiations mean that both sides are looking out for their own best interests. It possible that some other team could give Cano something closer to what he wants.

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CommerceComet View Post
    Of course, the Yankees might not have a choice if they want to keep Cano. While the Yankees would prefer a shorter, cheaper, more flexible contract, Cano won't. Negotiations mean that both sides are looking out for their own best interests. It possible that some other team could give Cano something closer to what he wants.
    Then let the Dodgers do it and be stuck with him for years 5-10 of decline like we are stuck with A-Rod. Really they're the only other team that would entertain a 10 year deal for someone at this point. If there's no market for a 10 year / $250 million deal then what's Cano to do?

I'll bump one of my prior posts on this thread...

It's obvious this team needs a handful of talented youngsters to fill current AND future needs...

Trade this guy in July for them. Boom. Done.

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    Then let the Dodgers do it and be stuck with him for years 5-10 of decline like we are stuck with A-Rod. Really they're the only other team that would entertain a 10 year deal for someone at this point. If there's no market for a 10 year / $250 million deal then what's Cano to do?
    I really didn't endorse either position. I was just stating that our realistic options might be binomial: sign Cano to a ten-year deal or don't sign him at all. I don't know if the deal will be ten years or not but I'm certain that the final contract that Cano negotiates will be longer and more expensive than the Yankees would prefer, even if the Yankees ultimately agree to the terms. The Yankees could find themselves in the position of having to chose the better of two undesirable options: sign Cano to an inflated, too-long contract or let him go.

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by DonnieTinoTex View Post
    I'll bump one of my prior posts on this thread...

It's obvious this team needs a handful of talented youngsters to fill current AND future needs...

Trade this guy in July for them. Boom. Done.
    My problem with this solution is that Robinson Cano is the one guy on the roster that I'd like to see stick around for 7-8 years. He's the only reasonably young guy on the roster that I think the Yankees could build a team around.

Of course, the other side of the coin is that Cano is probably the guy on the roster who would bring back a substantial return but even that could be severely limited if he's essentially a rental.

Quote Originally Posted by CommerceComet View Post
    My problem with this solution is that Robinson Cano is the one guy on the roster that I'd like to see stick around for 7-8 years. He's the only reasonably young guy on the roster that I think the Yankees could build a team around.

Of course, the other side of the coin is that Cano is probably the guy on the roster who would bring back a substantial return but even that could be severely limited if he's essentially a rental.
    We always talk about the Yankees not having leverage in trade situations. Usually we're the ones desperately dangling in July for a piece.

This could be the first time in years where the Yankees have the upper hand in the trade market. There's no doubt in my mind that a team that is close to winning a championship would part with 4-5 quality players for Cano (or 2-3 for Granderson). That's leverage- and in business, leverage is gold.

First of all, this is a ridiculous way to look at the choices the Yankees have. Most great players don't get 10 year deals, and FA is not the only place to get talent.

My point was that most folks (rightly) think a 10 year deal is a bad idea, not that he shouldn't get a megadeal. It's most likely that he's going to be overpaid at the end of a long term deal -- that's life. But there's a huge difference between doing that till Cano is in his late 30s and when he turns 41.
    You play to the strength of your general manager. Cashman can't draft, the farm is in complete disarray under his leadership and he almost always gives up more than what he takes back in trades, the latter of which negatively impacts the former. If the Yankees were planning to head in another direction, then Cashman shouldn't have been retained when his contract was up.

We're beyond the point of trading Cano. No team is going to dish out top prospects for a half year's rental and the few remaining teams won't give anything of value because they can sign him outright. So the Yankees don't have many options available to them. Either sign him to a megadeal even if that means overpaying in years, dollars or both or let him go and start the rebuilding process from ground zero. Of course, that would mean trading away CC, Teixeira and Arod while they still have value and find a new general manager who can do more with less because the direction this organization looks to be headed, Cashman is in way over his head. Then start the 8-10 year trek back to prominence.

I don't want to see Cano get a 10 year megadeal either and the good news is I can't see any team stepping up to the plate and offering him 10 years but I can see him in the neighborhood of 8 years 200M.

Thread Information