View Poll Results: What should we do with Cano?

Voters
188. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, give him the big extension

26 13.83%
  • No, let him hit free agency & take our chances with a lesser offer

105 55.85%
  • Trade him for prospects

57 30.32%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Re: Should we give Cano a 10 year deal?

Agreed and as good as he is don't see a 2B doing better than that, the market still favors 1B.

Quote Originally Posted by DonnieTinoTex View Post
    God forbid the possibility of mediocrity. I think most of us would sign up for mediocrity with the idea of building another 90's dynasty than making patchwork moves and offering foolishly lengthy deals- deals where the player declines rather than ascends.

With the prices they charge at the NYS, mediocroty is not an option.

8/$168 wouldn't be a bad deal for the Yankees......
    “Begin each day as if it were on purpose........”—Alex Hitchens

NYYF Cy Young

Jon Heyman was on Francesa's show today. Jon doesn't believe the Yankees will able to re-sign Cano this winter. The Yankees don't want another AROD type contract. Jon is close with Boras. Cano is going to free agency.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/audio-on...e-francesa-1/#

Quote Originally Posted by TheScooter View Post
    Jon Heyman was on Francesa's show today. Jon doesn't believe the Yankees will able to re-sign Cano this winter. The Yankees don't want another AROD type contract. Jon is close with Boras. Cano is going to free agency.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/audio-on...e-francesa-1/#
    this is really hard to believe.

besides, who are the other possible buyers?
    like delv, but better

Quote Originally Posted by SatchelPaigeYankee View Post
    You should, considering the source + agent.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by teknetic View Post
    You should, considering the source + agent.
    Cano is going to free agency and most of us know it. What Heyman said basically is to confirm that he is going to free agency and to tell other teams that he's available.

Considering the source + agent, I believe that he's just trying to drive up Cano's price.

NYYF Cy Young

If Cano wants to remain a Yankee

Jered Weaver admits he had to go against the advice of agent Scott Boras before agreeing to the Los Angeles Angels' five-year, $85 million contract extension, but he said the lure of staying home outweighed the seduction of greater riches.

"If $85 (million) is not enough to take care of my family and other generations of families then I'm pretty stupid, but how much money do you really need in life?" Weaver said Tuesday. "I've never played this game for the money. I played it for the love and the competitive part of it. It just so happens that baseball's going to be taking care of me for the rest of my life."

Weaver, 28, may have left tens of millions on the table by signing 15 months before he reached free agency. He might have been able to get a deal that approaches the seven-year, $161 million contract CC Sabathia signed with the New York Yankees before the 2009 season.
    http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/mlb/s...es-angels-deal

Boras took Bernie Williams to free agency in 1998. Many people thought Bernie was going to join Buck in AZ. Bernie re-signed. Cano could re-sign after the 2013 when he explores free agency.

Boras also has Jacoby Ellsbury. Both Ellsbury and Cano will be free agents after 2013. Boston doesn't expect Ellsbury to re-sign. Those guys will probably sign in December 2013 or January 2014. Boras likes to drag things out.

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    I understand that, I just think Cano is absolutely the wrong place to start drawing that line. I'm not suggesting that there should be no limits on his contract, but he's the guy you overpay for.
    Cano isn't the start. The contract they gave Jeter was the start. that was poorly executed on their part, but they made the message.

To cross back over the line and overpay Cano now will actually disrespect Jeter.
    "If your hand touches metal, I swear by my pretty floral bonnet, I will end you."

Quote Originally Posted by TheScooter View Post
    If Cano wants to remain a Yankee

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/mlb/s...es-angels-deal

Boras took Bernie Williams to free agency in 1998. Many people thought Bernie was going to join Buck in AZ. Bernie re-signed. Cano could re-sign after the 2013 when he explores free agency.

Boras also has Jacoby Ellsbury. Both Ellsbury and Cano will be free agents after 2013. Boston doesn't expect Ellsbury to re-sign. Those guys will probably sign in December 2013 or January 2014. Boras likes to drag things out.
    Ain't gonna lie, he was pretty stupid. So was Braun. We're probably talking about an extra $20-40M (possibly even more, I'm pulling numbers out of my ass here) for both. I was surprised by Kemp's extension, he could have gotten a Fielder-like contract.

Quote Originally Posted by Bozidar View Post
    Cano isn't the start. The contract they gave Jeter was the start. that was poorly executed on their part, but they made the message.

To cross back over the line and overpay Cano now will actually disrespect Jeter.
    I agree the Jeter negotiations were handled poorly, but there is a pretty sizeable gap in both age and talent that favors Cano. Not that I want to disrespect or hurt anyone's feelings, but sometimes, you have to put the "team" first.

Quote Originally Posted by Benefactor View Post
    I agree the Jeter negotiations were handled poorly, but there is a pretty sizeable gap in both age and talent that favors Cano. Not that I want to disrespect or hurt anyone's feelings, but sometimes, you have to put the "team" first.
    I'm not saying Jeter should have gotten a Cano type contract. I'm saying that the club started to draw a hard line with Jeter. So there is precedence for them doing so with Robbie
    "If your hand touches metal, I swear by my pretty floral bonnet, I will end you."

Addicted Member

besides, who are the other possible buyers?
    Dodgers and Angels definitely maybe the Cubs, Nats, Mets, and Giants.

Quote Originally Posted by 2PhonesMaccabee View Post
    Dodgers and Angels definitely maybe the Cubs, Nats, Mets, and Giants.
    those teams are gonna give Cano a 10-yr contract?
    like delv, but better

The Mets might be able to dish out a 10 year deal worth a total of a million or so....
    “Begin each day as if it were on purpose........”—Alex Hitchens

Addicted Member

Yes, I'm not saying it makes sense for them to do it but one team will offer him 10 years 200+ million.

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by 2PhonesMaccabee View Post
    Yes, I'm not saying it makes sense for them to do it but one team will offer him 10 years 200+ million.
    No one thought Texas would offer A-Rod 250 million until they did.

Quote Originally Posted by madjack View Post
    A 25 year old ARod =/= A 31 year old Robbie

I get what you're saying that it only takes 1 dumb owner but nobody is giving him 10 years. I bet he is back with the Yanks for 7 at a very high AAV
    “He's a clown. Guy says he's from the 209, what the ................ is that?

-CC Sabathia on Dallas Braden

Addicted Member

Right, Also Jayson Werth, Ryan Howard, Carl Crawford, Vernon Wells, ARod(with the Yankees), and Prince Fielder. Even if Cano would sign for 7, 8, or 9 years at 20+ per year it is still too much.

NYYF Legend

One thing I've learned and have repeatedly preached on this site - the elite free agents always get MORE than we originally imagine.

Weaver and Braun may have left money on the table, but with that decision they bought the assurance of super-wealth. Let's not underestimate the appeal of getting something done a year early in this sport with guaranteed contracts. If Weaver had a shoulder injury in his FA year, he certainly is worth less as a FA and perhaps not even in the game any longer. In Braun's case, the steroid stigma might have hurt him.

"Guaranteed now" isn't always a stupid call when the stakes are this high, even if things ultimately look questionable in hindsight.

Quote Originally Posted by Bozidar View Post
    I'm not saying Jeter should have gotten a Cano type contract. I'm saying that the club started to draw a hard line with Jeter. So there is precedence for them doing so with Robbie
    I was annoyed with Cashman for how he handled the Jeter negotiations. Yeah, he came off his worst season, but what Jeter had done for this club over the years did not deserve that. I fought with people saying he will make a comeback. The last season and a half has been a blessing watching all the critics eat crow and crawling back into their caves.

Jeter is certainly earning his new contract. He ended up one of the best SS in the entire league this past season. (I'll say offensively, because don't need lectures from people about his range) Anyway, I pay all this money to go to Yankee games, do you really think I want to see Nunez playing SS?

Getting to Cano, he has not yet acomplished what Jeter has, and you have to look beyond the numbers sometimes, or in the post season case, you need to "really" look at the numbers, lol.

I do hope Cano re-signs, he is one of the best players out there, but I don't want to see a ridiculous contract that could turn sour after 5 years. Hopefully they learned their lesson with A-rod. Sure, give Cano 25+ million a year, but make it only a 5 or 6 year contract tops.

It's About the Money

Cano's not getting a ten year contract. Those demands are basically Boras' way of announcing that Cano is going to free agency unless the Yankees pay a premium to keep him off of the market.

Slow in, Fast out ThePinStripes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DonnieTinoTex View Post
    God forbid the possibility of mediocrity. I think most of us would sign up for mediocrity with the idea of building another 90's dynasty than making patchwork moves and offering foolishly lengthy deals- deals where the player declines rather than ascends.
    a) I'm not sure it's a given that we'd reign supreme given the limitations on the international draft now
    b) We're not going to blow everyone out of the market in terms of salary
    c) We got very very lucky with those draft picks. We got Posada, Pettitte and Mariano in 1990. It's not exactly easy or common to draft 2-3 hall of famers in 1 year just because you had a bad season/early pick. I'd be interested to see how often a team drafts 3 hall of famers in a single season.
    d) that was after a LONG TIME of sucking.
    e) different overhead expenses- not sure they can sustain a decade of sucking with the new stadium.
    A fool and his money can throw one heck of a party!

Slow in, Fast out ThePinStripes's Avatar

Yeah, but Arod had Bush running the Rangers. No one except the average America voter would stupid enough to let him run anything but lemonade stand after what he did at the Rangers.
    A fool and his money can throw one heck of a party!

Thread Information