View Poll Results: What should we do with Cano?

Voters
188. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, give him the big extension

26 13.83%
  • No, let him hit free agency & take our chances with a lesser offer

105 55.85%
  • Trade him for prospects

57 30.32%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 ... LastLast

Re: Should we give Cano a 10 year deal?

Quote Originally Posted by 35Knucklecurve View Post
    10 year contracts are just insane, IMO. Even for somebody like Bryce Harper, I wouldn't do it. Yes, he's only 19 now and blew just about everybody away as a rookie. I think he's got the potential to have an awesome career, but you just don't know. Too many things can go wrong in that long of a period of time. I'm sure nobody in the FO ever dreamed that A-Rod would have to be benched during the play-offs either.

I don't think a string of terrible games during the play-offs is any reason to think Cano is on the decline. If he stays healthy, he can probably continue to put up very good numbers for the next 3-4 years, maybe more. One thing he has in his favor is that he appears to be able to perform at a high level without putting a ton of stress on his body (or his brain as it seems sometimes).
    I wouldn't do it today, but actually if they repeat their production between now and when they are FA eligible guys like Trout and Harper are the guys where a 10 year deal isn't completely insane. The break into MLB at a reasonably early age, hit FA as they are entering their prime, very athletic, no known injury issues, assets in every aspect of the game... not guys like A-Rod, Pujols, Fielder, etc. Sadly, not for Cano either. I hope GMs don't lose their minds when he hits the market.

...and of course it helps if you don't compound the risk of a deal like that with OTHER mega-deals for non-elite players that are past their primes.

Maybe they ought to give Cano a bigger deal than Alex.... This way, Alex can take the pressure of "the biggest contract ever" off his back...
    Maybe 15 years or 20 years...
    “Begin each day as if it were on purpose........”—Alex Hitchens

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    I wouldn't do it today, but actually if they repeat their production between now and when they are FA eligible guys like Trout and Harper are the guys where a 10 year deal isn't completely insane. The break into MLB at a reasonably early age, hit FA as they are entering their prime, very athletic, no known injury issues, assets in every aspect of the game... not guys like A-Rod, Pujols, Fielder, etc. Sadly, not for Cano either. I hope GMs don't lose their minds when he hits the market.

...and of course it helps if you don't compound the risk of a deal like that with OTHER mega-deals for non-elite players that are past their primes.
    This isn't much different than what the Rays did with Longoria -- 6 year deal, buying up his arb years, and then 3 option years. Yes, you take on some risk, but if you believe in the player it's a good time to give them some security in exchange for significant savings down the line.
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

Addicted Member

Yankees shouldn't offer him a deal like that now that he is entering his thirties. The AROD contract shows that. Yes he has performed well in the past but from now on his skills will start to corrode. Yankees top brass should know by now that big contracts will hamstring them. Either get him to sign to a five or six deal or trade him for prospects.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Jax Teller View Post
    Cano is elite & among the best players in baseball. While I know that you're saying "Cano thinks he's a better talent than others do", it still makes no sense. I don't think there is anyone out there that doesn't think he's among the best in baseball.
    point is...everyone knows he's among the best. but those in the know feel he could be the flat-out best. but he doesn't give 100%. hardly ever, actually. but yeah, he's that good so that he still sits in the top 5%.

reminds me of a few people i knew in HS and college, actually.

NYYF Legend

btw, even Boras knows Cano isn't getting a 10 year deal anywhere.

he's 30, not 27.

i'd rather give him a 5 year 28 mil per than 7/anything.

the yankees have got to start losing players a day early than a week too late.

Definitely trade.

I don't think anyone is worth those big deals anymore, and if history has taught us anything (A-Rod) then I don't think it's wise to offer anything more than 5 or 6 years, at the absolute maximum.

I think despite his historically bad postseason, Robbie's trade value may be at its peak and I think we should spin him for a combination of MLB ready talent and blue chippers. It could be the type of trade to build the next 15 years off of.

Unhappy Re: Should we give Cano a 10 year deal?

Quote Originally Posted by ojo View Post
    btw, even Boras knows Cano isn't getting a 10 year deal anywhere.

he's 30, not 27.

i'd rather give him a 5 year 28 mil per than 7/anything.

the yankees have got to start losing players a day early than a week too late.
    If Cashman offers five years, Cano walks. If this truly is the future of Yankee baseball that were going to under value players because we're afraid of dollar signs and legnth of contracts, then welcome to mediocrity. And this isn't to say cashman should blow Cano away with a mega deal, but five years is pretty insulting. Trading him away for prospects would even make less sense. And if this truly is your stance, don't complain after the fact when the team struggles and/or the prospects received are property of Scranton for the next 4 -5 years. If they don't keep Cano, they might as well blow up the entire team and start from scratch. People won't realize how good we've had it at 2b until it's gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Benefactor View Post
    If Cashman offers five years, Cano walks. If this truly is the future of Yankee baseball that were going to under value players because we're afraid of dollar signs and legnth of contracts, then welcome to mediocrity. And this isn't to say cashman should blow Cano away with a mega deal, but five years is pretty insulting. Trading him away for prospects would even make less sense. And if this truly is your stance, don't complain after the fact when the team struggles and/or the prospects received are property of Scranton for the next 4 -5 years. If they don't keep Cano, they might as well blow up the entire team and start from scratch. People won't realize how good we've had it at 2b until it's gone.
    God forbid the possibility of mediocrity. I think most of us would sign up for mediocrity with the idea of building another 90's dynasty than making patchwork moves and offering foolishly lengthy deals- deals where the player declines rather than ascends.

Quote Originally Posted by DonnieTinoTex View Post
    God forbid the possibility of mediocrity. I think most of us would sign up for mediocrity with the idea of building another 90's dynasty than making patchwork moves and offering foolishly lengthy deals- deals where the player declines rather than ascends.
    Yeah, because Cano is a symbol of mediocrity and a patch job. You need players to build around and cano is one of those guys. And a 90's dynasty with Cashman running the show, good luck with that.

Edit- btw, giving Cano a 7-8 year deal isn't such a bad thing. After 5 years, both Arod and Teix come off the books. And I don't see Cano regressing in the same manner as the formers.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ElDandy View Post
    Maybe we can do a 10 year contract with an opt out clause after every year
    OIpt out clause for who? Cano or the Yanks? If the latter than I am OK with it.

Andy
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

Quote Originally Posted by Benefactor View Post
    Yeah, because Cano is a symbol of mediocrity and a patch job. You need players to build around and cano is one of those guys. And a 90's dynasty with Cashman running the show, good luck with that.
    Nah, a Cano deal would be the latter situation- the mega contract given to a player set for a cliff dive.

Kudos on the Cashman dig though; I'm not that confident that he or ownership have the wherewithal to build a dynasty either.

NYYF Triple Crown

Two beautiful rural acres in Windham, Maine

Do we really need to sign up for mediocrity? Seems like some well timed and shrewd moves can keep the team competitive while transitioning to a younger, faster team. Trading Granderson while his value is high, for example, is a move that can be made now. Everything doesn't necessarily need to be done at once.
    Yankee fan living in Maine.

Nah, a Cano deal would be the latter situation- the mega contract given to a player set for a cliff dive.

Kudos on the Cashman dig though; I'm not that confident that he or ownership have the wherewithal to build a dynasty either.
    Problem is cano isn't in the same boat as Arod and Teix. Arod's demise is steroid induced and injury driven. Teix became a strict pull hitter and doesn't seem to care enough to make adjustments. Cano is the total package, power, average and defense. Those types of players don't normally fall off cliffs or nose dive, but it's usually more of a gradual decline. Every body thought Jeter was done a few years back and dreaded signing him to a contract. And now he's had a two year resurgence.

NYYF Cy Young

Offer Cano 7 years at $150.5M. $21.5M AAV is a ton of $$$$. Cano will be 31 when the extension begins. Look at what middle IFs make. 7/$150m is very generous. Probably too much. The Yankees probably get screwed on the back end when Cano is over 35.

If Boras balks,put Cano on the market and see what you can get.

Boras got Prince 9 years/$214M. $23.8M AAV.

Cano is no Prince Fielder. Prince got his money at 27/28.

Quote Originally Posted by apalradio View Post
    Do we really need to sign up for mediocrity? Seems like some well timed and shrewd moves can keep the team competitive while transitioning to a younger, faster team. Trading Granderson while his value is high, for example, is a move that can be made now. Everything doesn't necessarily need to be done at once.
    I'll be shocked if the Yankees actually traded Granderson. He'll be hitting free agency after next season and no team is going to give the Yankees anything of value when they can sign him outright in the offsesson.

if you feel cano can be the best, that does not justify feeling laziness or unmotivated loafing as the reason why he can't get there. this does not need to be explained.
    always reasonable

NYYF Legend

7 year deal for a homegrown player is sufficient
    The real reason why the Yankees keep winning is cause the other team can't stop staring at the damn pinstripes

Definitely trade.

I don't think anyone is worth those big deals anymore, and if history has taught us anything (A-Rod) then I don't think it's wise to offer anything more than 5 or 6 years, at the absolute maximum.

I think despite his historically bad postseason, Robbie's trade value may be at its peak and I think we should spin him for a combination of MLB ready talent and blue chippers. It could be the type of trade to build the next 15 years off of.
    As good as Cano is, I think you're overestimating what the return would be in his walk year. His trade value was at its peak a couple of years ago, when he had established himself but was still cost-controlled. One year of Cano is not going to get you MLB-ready talent plus (plural) blue-chip prospects to build on for the next decade+.

On the one hand, I understand people's reluctance to replay the bloated, overlong contracts the Yankees have given out in the past. On the other hand, do they really want the Yankees to become one of those franchises that trades away their best players because they've gotten too gun-shy to pay them?
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

John, I think most fans accept that the Yankees should be paying their talent to stay, and not be a star farm for other teams.

But we recognize that the club should stop overpaying for them, on overlong contracts.

We've paid the Yankees Are The Richest So They Must Pay More For Longer Tax long enough.
    "If your hand touches metal, I swear by my pretty floral bonnet, I will end you."

from a purely running the business point of view, they have to retain cano. it's a very risky move to let him go and try to replace the production from less certain, lower quality pieces. the yankees still NEED to field a good team, the loss from not doing so is far too great.

this is also why trading him for just young prospects is no go. you have to get major league production
    always reasonable

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheScooter View Post
    Offer Cano 7 years at $150.5M. $21.5M AAV is a ton of $$$$. Cano will be 31 when the extension begins. Look at what middle IFs make. 7/$150m is very generous. Probably too much. The Yankees probably get screwed on the back end when Cano is over 35.

If Boras balks,put Cano on the market and see what you can get.

Boras got Prince 9 years/$214M. $23.8M AAV.

Cano is no Prince Fielder. Prince got his money at 27/28.
    Cano is unlike any other middle IF though.

Quote Originally Posted by Bozidar View Post
    John, I think most fans accept that the Yankees should be paying their talent to stay, and not be a star farm for other teams.

But we recognize that the club should stop overpaying for them, on overlong contracts.

We've paid the Yankees Are The Richest So They Must Pay More For Longer Tax long enough.
    I understand that, I just think Cano is absolutely the wrong place to start drawing that line. I'm not suggesting that there should be no limits on his contract, but he's the guy you overpay for.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Crawford and Werth got 7, Fielder got 9. He's a better player than Fielder but sluggers on the corners get way overpaid. I think whoever signs does it at 8/$168M.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Hooligan Tavarez View Post
    Crawford and Werth got 7, Fielder got 9. He's a better player than Fielder but sluggers on the corners get way overpaid. I think whoever signs does it at 8/$168M.
    I actually think the Yanks would agree to this deal TODAY.

Thread Information