View Poll Results: What should we do with Cano?

Voters
188. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, give him the big extension

26 13.83%
  • No, let him hit free agency & take our chances with a lesser offer

105 55.85%
  • Trade him for prospects

57 30.32%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 ... LastLast

Re: Should we give Cano a 10 year deal?

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Fan in Boston View Post
    I don't think think they should give Cano a 10-year deal, but I don't think they'd have to - I can't imagine anyone else offering him one either.
    Nobody thought Albert would get 10yr/$240M or Prince would receive 9yr/214M either.

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Benefactor View Post
    Nobody thought Albert would get 10yr/$240M or Prince would receive 9yr/214M either.
    True, but you can also look at guys like Damon who Boras said was looking for 7 years -- and he didn't come near that. The list of players who have gotten 10 year deals in the last decade is very small, and they produce far more than Cano has. If someone else wants to give that to him, I'd let them.
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

NYYF Legend

5 year contract, club option for a 6th year. $20-25 million a year. If that's not good enough for Cano, let him walk.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by d32123 View Post
    I wanna know who the two mental midgets who voted yes are.

Cano and Boras
    If they ask who was our star, give them 25 names, and if you forget our names, just tell them we were Yankees.

Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NYRangers79 View Post
    Yankees are looking to cut their payroll, so it may not be too unrealistic.
    It takes two parties to agree to a contract and why would Cano take $5-10 million less per year to sign?
    Life is good!

NYYF Triple Crown

5 Years max, if it takes 18-23 mil/year, fine. But no more than that. Go find a bigger contract elsewhere if he can get it.
    NYYFans FBBL: Babe's Blasts

RIP Pete Cheng; the commish will be missed.

5 years? lol

you are looking to gain 10-15m of value for the first few yyears of the contract and write off the later years as deferred pay for those first few dominant years. it's the same with every big contract.
    always reasonable

NYYF Legend

that's the problem with top MLB talent, you have to knowingly sacrifice dead money in later years in order to secure the production at the front end of the contract. That being said, I don't think anyone is going to offer Robbie 10 years. I think his market is 7-8 years @ $150-160M

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by awy View Post
    5 years? lol

you are looking to gain 10-15m of value for the first few yyears of the contract and write off the later years as deferred pay for those first few dominant years. it's the same with every big contract.
    Seriously. Saying that you would only give Cano 5 years is the same as saying you're fine with letting him walk. He is going to get at least 7 years from someone.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Quote Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
    The biggest deal in average salary a 2B got is Kinsler's 5 years $75M.

The biggest deal in total a 2B got is Utley's 7 years $85M.

Cano is better than all of them. But he's not going to get 10 years $200M.
    You're forgetting how good Utley was. Five consecutive years of 7+ WAR with 2 over 8. In his prime Utley was the better player.
    "It is almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is playing golf." -Robert Wilson Lynd

NYYF Triple Crown

Two beautiful rural acres in Windham, Maine

Ten years for any player is insanity. Even seven years is going to be tough to swallow, but I think the FO should be able to live with that, and outbid any other team offering those years. If someone goes eight or more, I'd start planning for life after Cano.
    Yankee fan living in Maine.

NYYF MVP

Hopefully the Tigers win the series cause I could see Mike Ilitich giving Cano crazy crazy money.

I really wish they could just trade him for a stud prospect or two. I'd rather see that.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Blazer View Post
    You're forgetting how good Utley was. Five consecutive years of 7+ WAR with 2 over 8. In his prime Utley was the better player.
    No I haven't. But he's not a better player when he signed that extension.

NYYF MVP

I agree with those who are against the big contracts (anything more than 5 or 6 years). They very seldom work out, and they can bite you real hard, like Mr. Rod's contract is doing now. If that deal was 6 years, we'd be talking about letting him go after one more season instead of spending the next 5 years either eating $100m for someone else's player or paying Lamborghini prices for a used Honda. (Nothing against Hondas - I have two!)

Do you think the Angels are excited about their deal with Pujols? 10 year deals are bad for business.
    I am ready for NUMBER 28!!!

The Sausage King of Chicago Abe Frohman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Carsten Charles View Post
    I'd offer 4/$100M.
    Quote Originally Posted by SatchelPaigeYankee View Post
    winner winner chicken dinner
    Wish he would take this deal but even this is a pipe dream. This is Cano's big day ... things will get ugly.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGameEpisode2 View Post
    Nine bad games doesn't diminish that he's the best young 2B in the game.
    True. But when do the insane contracts stop ? sooner or later, this organization needs to put its foot down on this front. Cashman put his foot down on the trade front, so teams know not to ask for insane trade requests cause Cashman will not budge. Now we need to quell this contract cycle.

It would suck if Robinsons Cano ends up being the player we make an example of but it has to happen.

There has to be an age - to - pay correlation when we extend contract offers to players going forward if theyre serious about both trimming payroll and utilizing their resources more wisely.

Theo Epstein is a master with this age to pay contract thing. The current Red Sox core are not signed passed what ? 36 ? None of those players will be making serious money in their age 37, 38 or 39 season on the Sox's tab. Thats what we need to accomplish here.

The thing is that this business module brings with it down years in between that this organization just isnt ready to come to terms with. The FO needs this team to be playoff caliber year in and out for the machine to keep " running " which is another problem in itself. I dont think the FO is ready to deal with a few losing seasons.

Similar to the way this fanbase has become accustomed to pereptual success, so has this organization and their respective pockets.
    ? Can switching to Geico really save you 15 % or more on car insurance ? ? Does the postman always ring twice ?

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Nettles View Post
    Do you think the Angels are excited about their deal with Pujols? 10 year deals are bad for business.
    It's monopoly money for them, they just signed a 20 year tv deal worth 150M/yr and Pujols gets people in the seats (for now)

Quote Originally Posted by Abe Frohman View Post
    Wish he would take this deal but even this is a pipe dream. This is Cano's big day ... things will get ugly.

True. But when do the insane contracts stop ? sooner or later, this organization needs to put its foot down on this front. Cashman put his foot down on the trade front, so teams know not to ask for insane trade requests cause Cashman will not budge. Now we need to quell this contract cycle.

It would suck if Robinsons Cano ends up being the player we make an example of but it has to happen.

There has to be an age - to - pay correlation when we extend contract offers to players going forward if theyre serious about both trimming payroll and utilizing their resources more wisely.
    I think the only prudent thing to do right now is see what he could net on the open market. He's the best 2B in the game, in his prime. No, I wouldn't deal him for prospects (unless you are talking something like Profar and Olt, which wouldn't get done anyway). I'd trade him for at least one excellent- if not as great as Robby- player along with one or two high end prospects.

If Cano is looking for his mega contract, it is only going to be ugly in 5 years......

Probably wouldn't be in this situation if the Yankees would get rid of their stupid "No contract extension" policy.

Yes it makes much more sense to let a player hit the market so that they can engage in a bidding war.

The insane contracts will stop when Yankees struggle with revenues and other teams can't pay for players with revenue sharing.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by grizy View Post
    The insane contracts will stop when Yankees struggle with revenues and other teams can't pay for players with revenue sharing.
    Actually, the insane contracts will stop when insane revenue stops flowing. Teams who have the money will generally spend it

Quote Originally Posted by NYRangers79 View Post
    If he goes he goes then, the Yankees would still be fine.
    Yea, you keep telling yourself that.

Quote Originally Posted by Abe Frohman View Post

Theo Epstein is a master with this age to pay contract thing. The current Red Sox core are not signed passed what ? 36 ? None of those players will be making serious money in their age 37, 38 or 39 season on the Sox's tab. Thats what we need to accomplish here.
    How do you even call the guy "master" after he handed out three disastrous contracts within a five-year period? Also, the current Red Sox core consists of Dustin Pedroia.

The thing is that this business module brings with it down years in between that this organization just isnt ready to come to terms with. The FO needs this team to be playoff caliber year in and out for the machine to keep " running " which is another problem in itself. I dont think the FO is ready to deal with a few losing seasons.

Similar to the way this fanbase has become accustomed to pereptual success, so has this organization and their respective pockets.
    He's gonna get paid regardless. All this nonsense about 4-5 years is just that, nonsense. Yankees aren't in a rebuilding phase (yes, losing Cano essentially calls for breaking the team up) so why would they play hardball here? There's a really good chance they get burnt at the tail end of the contract, but that comes with the territory of all megadeals. You pay for the first handful of years and hope you get above-average production in the twilight years of the deal.

I'd give him Matt Kemp money and leave it at that.

Quote Originally Posted by Nettles View Post

Moreno is loaded, I'm fairly sure he was giddy as a schoolgirl landing Pujols. Why the hell wouldn't he be?

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by gold23 View Post
    No, I wouldn't deal him for prospects (unless you are talking something like Profar and Olt, which wouldn't get done anyway). I'd trade him for at least one excellent- if not as great as Robby- player along with one or two high end prospects.
    So you think the Yankees should get an almost equally as good player plus one of two top prospects...what planet are you living on?

The Sausage King of Chicago Abe Frohman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jax Teller View Post
    Probably wouldn't be in this situation if the Yankees would get rid of their stupid "No contract extension" policy.

Yes it makes much more sense to let a player hit the market so that they can engage in a bidding war.
    I keep saying to myself that maybe the Yankees hope the player will turn in a subpar numbers in a walk year, or that said player will sustain a long term effect type injury, and that this is why they won't negotiate extensions ?

is this why they do it ?
    ? Can switching to Geico really save you 15 % or more on car insurance ? ? Does the postman always ring twice ?

Thread Information