+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    NYYF Legend

The Big Hairy Monster Thread

Brian Cashman, quoted in today's Times:

“We are still executing the Gene Michael playbook, which is predominantly left-handed hitters that take walks,” he said. “They are selective. They’re typically big, hairy monsters, as I describe them.”
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/19/sp...ostseason.html

Does this mean that the Yankees will look to acquire more, or bigger and hairier, monsters this off-season? Is this what this team needs to succeed in 2013, in the regular season AND the postseason?

Discuss.

Re: The Big Hairy Monster Thread

Quote Originally Posted by -tz View Post
    Brian Cashman, quoted in today's Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/19/sp...ostseason.html

Does this mean that the Yankees will look to acquire more, or bigger and hairier, monsters this off-season? Is this what this team needs to succeed in 2013, in the regular season AND the postseason?

Discuss.
    Perhaps it means that the Yankees are reconsidering their grooming code. Prince Fielder is definitely the kind of big hairy monster Cashman is talking about, but he just couldn't be as hairy if he were a Yankee.

If that's what Cashman wants, he should change the organization's rules.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

NYYF Legend

On the other hand ... he called Ibanez a "big, hairy monster."

“Raul Ibanez didn’t hit in last year’s postseason for Philadelphia; he hit in this postseason for us in a massive way,” Cashman said. “Why did we gravitate to him? He’s left-handed, he’s got power, he’s selective — big, hairy monster.

http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2012/10/1...strong-enough/

I wonder how he describes his ex goomah

Back on topic. This team needs more that that big, hairy, one dimensional monster, of which there were too many clones in 2012. We need better balance in the lineup and not rely on home runs from streaky, low contact hitters. Put the *@&! ball in play!

Brien "The Incident" just-blaze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ArodEra View Post
    I wonder how he describes his ex goomah

Is she lefty?
    Fistpumping like a champion.

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Quote Originally Posted by just-blaze View Post
    Is she lefty?
    Not sure of her political leanings.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

First Name: Keninovich hardrain's Avatar

But Ibanez is not hairy at all
    We toast to the old days and DiMaggio too,
    Billy Martin and Mantle, Whitey Ford and to you

First Name: Keninovich hardrain's Avatar

A full year Of Gardner makes a big difference in this hairy monster metaphor
    We toast to the old days and DiMaggio too,
    Billy Martin and Mantle, Whitey Ford and to you

Quote Originally Posted by hardrain View Post
    A full year Of Gardner makes a big difference in this hairy monster metaphor
    I've never thought Gardner was the solution to anything. But he's certainly valuable relative to his cost so I suppose he should be part of the 2013 plan.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    I've never thought Gardner was the solution to anything. But he's certainly valuable relative to his cost so I suppose he should be part of the 2013 plan.
    He's pretty damn valuable, actually. He sees a bunch of pitches, draws walks, and steals 45+ bases while playing elite defense.

Don't call it a comeback False1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    Unquestionably. He's valuable, period. At his cost given the alternatives? He's extremely valuable.

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Perhaps it means that the Yankees are reconsidering their grooming code. Prince Fielder is definitely the kind of big hairy monster Cashman is talking about, but he just couldn't be as hairy if he were a Yankee.

If that's what Cashman wants, he should change the organization's rules.
    I have felt for years that the grooming code is outdated. In 1973, George looked at mens hair through a 1960s prism of Short/Cleanshaven = good, well behaved nice boys and Long/Shaggy = dangerous revolutionaries. He wanted each Yankee to look like someone that "the right type of families" would be pleased to see dating their daughter.

Is it not obvious that these types of social casting guideline are irrelevant and unnecessary today? Do today's baseball fans (even most grown up ones) make judgments on people on criteria like that? I hope not - and that's from someone (me) who is himself clean shaven and cuts the hair rather close to the scalp.
    I am ready for NUMBER 28!!!

NYYF Legend

I only wish our offense was selective at the plate this postseason. I've never seen a Yankee lineup in the Cashman era chase so many pitches off the plate and in the dirt.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Quote Originally Posted by Nettles View Post
    I have felt for years that the grooming code is outdated. In 1973, George looked at mens hair through a 1960s prism of Short/Cleanshaven = good, well behaved nice boys and Long/Shaggy = dangerous revolutionaries. He wanted each Yankee to look like someone that "the right type of families" would be pleased to see dating their daughter.

Is it not obvious that these types of social casting guideline are irrelevant and unnecessary today? Do today's baseball fans (even most grown up ones) make judgments on people on criteria like that? I hope not - and that's from someone (me) who is himself clean shaven and cuts the hair rather close to the scalp.
    Sadly, I've heard many people say that the Yankees are clean shaven because they are "classy." That is dumb as hell. I would love to see the Yankees get rid of this stupid policy.

Quote Originally Posted by teknetic View Post
    He's pretty damn valuable, actually. He sees a bunch of pitches, draws walks, and steals 45+ bases while playing elite defense.
    Imagine if he hit for power
    EvilEmpireDC: Fans bitch about anything lol

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jax Teller View Post
    Sadly, I've heard many people say that the Yankees are clean shaven because they are "classy." That is dumb as hell. I would love to see the Yankees get rid of this stupid policy.
    At the end of the day I don't think it matters much, but it seems to me to go with the ridiculous stadium that is directed toward a more affluent, older section of society -- which isn't something that is going to necessarily make the Yankees as easily connected to a broader fanbase going forward.
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    Unquestionably. He's valuable, period. At his cost given the alternatives? He's extremely valuable.
    However, his B.H.M. Above Replacement is quite low, even if he is a lefty.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

2005: .355 OBP
    2006: .363
    2007: .366
    2008: .333
    2009: .362
    2010: .352
    2011: .343
    2012: .337

Steep decline, but it's somewhat expected due to the lack of guys like Giambi/Posada/Sheffield/Matsui/and an in-his-prime ARod and PED's. The current group of hackers who hit for power and not much else is fun at times, but is very prone to prolonged streaks of awfulness.

Quote Originally Posted by Jax Teller View Post
    I've heard this too. I guess the most interesting man in the world is not classy to some poeple. Idiots...

NYYF Legend

I am disappointed that flymick has not yet posted in this thread.

The Sausage King of Chicago Abe Frohman's Avatar

2005: .355 OBP
    2006: .363
    2007: .366
    2008: .333
    2009: .362
    2010: .352
    2011: .343
    2012: .337

Steep decline, but it's somewhat expected due to the lack of guys like Giambi/Posada/Sheffield/Matsui/and an in-his-prime ARod and PED's. The current group of hackers who hit for power and not much else is fun at times, but is very prone to prolonged streaks of awfulness.
    Tek, wouldnt you say that our general approach of going up their trying to take pitches works against us in the postseason, because for the most part the pitchers we face in October are quality ???

They throw strikes, quality strikes at that.

Maybe thats why we constantly see our hitters in the hole 0-2, 1-2.
    ? Can switching to Geico really save you 15 % or more on car insurance ? ? Does the postman always ring twice ?

Addicted Member

I think it would have been a much different looking team this year with Gardener. He adds tenacity and a "small ball" dimension that was almost totally missing without him. IMO, a healthy Gardener in mid season form could have made a huge difference in the playoffs.
    Yogi - “It’s tough to make predictions, especially about the future.”

Quote Originally Posted by Abe Frohman View Post
    Tek, wouldnt you say that our general approach of going up their trying to take pitches works against us in the postseason, because for the most part the pitchers we face in October are quality ???

They throw strikes, quality strikes at that.

Maybe thats why we constantly see our hitters in the hole 0-2, 1-2.
    When you face top pitchers throwing quality strikes, the approach barely matters. You can take pitches and find yourself behind in the count, or swing at pitches that you can't do much with anyway. I don't think taking pitches puts the team at a particular disadvantage.
    - Barry Manilow

The Sausage King of Chicago Abe Frohman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    When you face top pitchers throwing quality strikes, the approach barely matters. You can take pitches and find yourself behind in the count, or swing at pitches that you can't do much with anyway. I don't think taking pitches puts the team at a particular disadvantage.
    Maybe they're taking pitches they should be putting good swings on though, just for the sake of being patient.
    ? Can switching to Geico really save you 15 % or more on car insurance ? ? Does the postman always ring twice ?

Thread Information