+ Reply to Thread
Page 203 of 210 FirstFirst ... 103 153 193 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 ... LastLast
Results 5,051 to 5,075 of 5248
    NYYF Legend

Re: New York Yankees 2012-2013 Offseason Outlook

Quote Originally Posted by Jerkface View Post
    No, a guy who is 8th or worse out of all outfield prospects in the Yankees system is a nobody.
    Almonte isn't on any top 30, wasn't taken in the Rule 5, isn't on the 40 man, and would need to go on the 40 man next offseason or be lost to minor league free agency. He would take up an outfield slot that the Yankees need for Garcia, Slade, Austin, Flores, Mesa, Almonte, Neal, etc.

They got a major league reliever for a guy that will probably be a minor league free agent next year. Almonte is a tool box who had a decent season in AA at age 23. The Yankees have decided to go with Zoilo & Mesa over him.
    So getting back to this trade for a moment, I'm pretty neutral on the actual trade but I wonder if it is a precursor to another move Cashman is working on. I mean how many RH relief pitchers is this team going to carry?
    Mo (lock)
    Robertson (lock)
    Joba (trade?)
    Aardsma
    Kelley
    Eppley
    Nova/Phelps (only one is making the rotation)

That's in addition to carrying at least one LHP (Logan) but likely two (either Rapada or Cabral) given Giardi's fondness for L/L matchups.

Pure speculation on my part, but trading for Kelley does seem like a curious move in a vacuum.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    So getting back to this trade for a moment, I'm pretty neutral on the actual trade but I wonder if it is a precursor to another move Cashman is working on. I mean how many RH relief pitchers is this team going to carry?
    Mo (lock)
    Robertson (lock)
    Joba (trade?)
    Aardsma
    Kelley
    Eppley
    Nova/Phelps (only one is making the rotation)

That's in addition to carrying at least one LHP (Logan) but likely two (either Rapada or Cabral) given Giardi's fondness for L/L matchups.

Pure speculation on my part, but trading for Kelley does seem like a curious move in a vacuum.
    Well the team is most likely losing Mariano, Joba, and Aardsma in free agency, so it could have just been a pre-emptive move to get a guy that can be an option this year or sit in AAA. Considering what they gave up to get him and the timing of why they got him (he was DFA'd so to trade for him required acting now, he never woulda made it to them on waivers), it is not terribly curious.

NYYF Legend

Well the team is most likely losing Mariano, Joba, and Aardsma in free agency, so it could have just been a pre-emptive move to get a guy that can be an option this year or sit in AAA. Considering what they gave up to get him and the timing of why they got him (he was DFA'd so to trade for him required acting now, he never woulda made it to them on waivers), it is not terribly curious.
    That makes sense. I didn't realize he still had options.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    Why can I post, but not start a new thread ?

Posting Permissions

• You may not post new threads
    • You may post replies
    • You may post attachments
    • You may edit your posts

Forum Rules
    It's based on the length of your posts. Once you make a post of over 500 characters, you'll be able to start a new thread.

Is he really much more than a fungible reliever, something you could just as easily find a year from now? Not that Almonte is much of a loss, but it seems like an awful lot of planning for something that should be readily available.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

NYYF Legend

It's crazy how important Pineda's recovery is going to be for the future of this franchise. I don't think I'm exaggerating either.

Don't call it a comeback False1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    It's crazy how important Pineda's recovery is going to be for the future of this franchise. I don't think I'm exaggerating either.
    Totally agree. If he becomes the pitcher he appeared to be in '11, he's a cost effective ace during the downside of A-Rod/Tex/etc's contracts. Pettitte/Kuroda money can be spent elsewhere. If he doesn't... ouch.

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Is he really much more than a fungible reliever, something you could just as easily find a year from now? Not that Almonte is much of a loss, but it seems like an awful lot of planning for something that should be readily available.
    At the price they paid, I don't think there are a lot of Kelleys floating around. You might get injured guys like aardsma, or junk guys like Eppley, but a real life strike out reliever? Certainly around but probably not for as cheap as they got Kelley. I don't see why this move is out of place, its like Cashman climbed out of the dumpster for a second and landed next to a very nice thrift store and there was a really good deal. May as well take it.

If he had made this move before ST and had to dump someone off the 40 man I'd be much warier of the deal, but this move cost nothing except a nobody in AA. Putting it another way, I highly doubt Cashman could trade for someone we actually may need at the moment and only give up Abe Almonte doing it. This move doesn't stop him from making any other deal. It was simply nice value to get a major league relief pitcher for a 5th OFer.

Edit: Middle relief is fungible, and Cashman just funged up a decent looking middle reliever. Thats precisely what you do!

Released Outright

Quote Originally Posted by jcarey View Post
    It's based on the length of your posts. Once you make a post of over 500 characters, you'll be able to start a new thread.
    That's kind of a dumb rule.

Quote Originally Posted by d32123 View Post
    I was trolling. I don't think he bit.

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    If Pineda is a total bust, we could still have very good and cheap production from the OF and catcher positions as well as relief and back-end rotation guys. I don't think it will cripple us losing Pineda alone, but SOME of these prospects need to pan out or it's not going to be pretty.

The shoulder could be a big thing, but I must hold onto hope that Pineda can pull it together. He's a young guy. he's still got plenty of years to figure it out.
    EvilEmpireDC: Fans bitch about anything lol

If Pineda is a total bust, we could still have very good and cheap production from the OF and catcher positions as well as relief and back-end rotation guys. I don't think it will cripple us losing Pineda alone, but SOME of these prospects need to pan out or it's not going to be pretty.
    He needs to pan out because 1/2 pitchers do not hit the market anymore and when they do, their contracts arent pretty. You have to have these guys under your control.

The Yankees got lucky CC was on the market and they struck gold with him. It likely wont happen again anytime soon.
    “He's a clown. Guy says he's from the 209, what the ................ is that?

-CC Sabathia on Dallas Braden

Quote Originally Posted by d32123 View Post
    I guess that means me, so I;ll get windy.....disregard this stupid rambling useless post.

I recall two Yankess crashing their private planes, Munson and Corey Lidle. do any other ballplayers crash planes other than Yankees ?

Maybe you make too much monies when you fly when unqualified, like JFK/s Keed ?

My favorite color is is purple.

I named my cat "Cooter" after the the the "dukes of Hazard" character , That later became a senator. My cat is female though. I didn't know Cooter was Southern slang for pussy, so it fits a female cat.

I hate my wife and want a divorce

if this drivel isn't 500 characters, then.....

ijdbhjdcdscvvdfsvbjzdfhlvjhzdsvbjEVWdbshafdsFSBLcvdvsbLdsbhldsblfcbldsshvgvchycvhchv
    vbswsxcbihlasCBIACBSLCBILASBLDSBILCVbiuVvdsvCSdacacsvucskACVSAvhjCBHJDVSbldvbdvsbl
    vvhjvhbhBHcabsBSCBDVSSSSSSSSSSScbndskvkbhjsdbhbhjcadsVHchjdcbhjdsbvhjbcvhjds

j vJJJJJJcvvhjskCBNZXBCKJBHvdrwkbvfzdn njcASND

NYYF Legend

No, it's actually based on your ability to stay on topic. Every time you make an off-topic post, it adds two weeks to the waiting period before you can start a thread.

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

ijdbhjdcdscvvdfsvbjzdfhlvjhzdsvbjEVWdbshafdsFSBLcvdvsbLdsbhldsblfcbldsshvgvchycvhchv
    vbswsxcbihlasCBIACBSLCBILASBLDSBILCVbiuVvdsvCSdacacsvucskACVSAvhjCBHJDVSbldvbdvsbl
    vvhjvhbhBHcabsBSCBDVSSSSSSSSSSScbndskvkbhjsdbhbhjcadsVHchjdcbhjdsbvhjbcvhjds

j vJJJJJJcvvhjskCBNZXBCKJBHvdrwkbvfzdn njcASND
    I put this phrase into Google Translate and it came back NYYFANSIAN for "why the $&#( can't I start a thread"

Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

Why can I post, but not start a new thread ?