+ Reply to Thread
Page 177 of 210 FirstFirst ... 77 127 167 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 187 ... LastLast
Results 4,401 to 4,425 of 5248
  1. #4401

    Re: New York Yankees 2012-2013 Offseason Outlook

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark19 View Post
    Interesting Cashman interview from yesterday:



    http://bombersbeat.mlblogs.com/2013/...think-we-dont/

    Cashman almost seem a little defensive. At the risk of playing the armchair psychologist, it almost sounds as if some deals fell through and he's trying to reassure himself that he doesn't actually have to do any work until May or June.
    Thanks for that link.

    I don't think he sounds defensive, but it's hard to read without the benefit of audio.

    He's just laying out the situation at hand. But, one thing is does point out is the obvious - the Yankees just can get whoever they want, and are actually turned down by players.
    Team Northern Lights

  2. #4402
    NYYF Legend

    NelsonMuntz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Alexandria, VA

    Re: New York Yankees 2012-2013 Offseason Outlook

    Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    Nunez in the infield. I cringe everytime I think of that.
    We all do.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

  3. #4403

    Re: New York Yankees 2012-2013 Offseason Outlook

    Quote Originally Posted by Abe Frohman View Post
    I definitely do not expect Championships or guarantees or anything of the sort.

    Perpetual success can get boring, like anything else. I remember when we lost in 2001, it didnt sting as much initially because of the Dynasty run. 2001 broke that cycle.

    I'm just DONE with these " veteran " teams. THAT is boring already. Ichiro, Youkilis ... 2 more swan song veterans to join BINGO night.

    The recent championship and runner up teams have a good mix of young cheap talent, a good core of players in their prime and a sprinkle of veteran leadership.

    We have a roster of grossly overpaid - way past their prime - veterans, 2 -3 players in their prime and a sprinkle of young cheap talent.

    Its backwards. has been for a long time. Theres no reason why we cant have a team like the SF Giants, or the Texas Rangers, or the Cardinals, or the Reds. Yes it will take some time, but if and when we get there it would pay huge dividends.
    We scored over 100+ more than some of the teams you listed, and had an OPS higher than over 70 pts, and had better pitching.

    There's no magic mix of youth and veterans that makes a championship. It's good players, skill, timing, and luck.
    Team Northern Lights

  4. #4404

    Re: New York Yankees 2012-2013 Offseason Outlook

    Quote Originally Posted by NerfBall55 View Post
    We scored over 100+ more than some of the teams you listed, and had an OPS higher than over 70 pts, and had better pitching.

    There's no magic mix of youth and veterans that makes a championship. It's good players, skill, timing, and luck.
    your post is going to fall on deaf ears.
    EvilEmpireDC: Fans bitch about anything lol

  5. #4405
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Brooklyn

    Re: New York Yankees 2012-2013 Offseason Outlook

    I just returned from vacation to learn we missed out on Upton. I always wanted him, and always thought he fit perfectly into what we needed, especially considering his low AAV hit towards the $189M goal.

    Reading Keith Law's trade write-up makes me sad:

    The Atlanta Braves didn't specifically need Justin Upton to be playoff contenders again in 2013, but having him certainly helps. Because they got him for about 50 cents on the dollar, they should be over the moon about the deal they wrapped up Thursday, which restores what they lost with Michael Bourn's departure and sets them up well for the two years that follow as well.
    Arizona's return boils down to this: one year of Martin Prado, six years of a fifth starter in Randall Delgado, two fringy prospects and one non-prospect. If that sounds like a good deal to you, I have some beachfront property in Phoenix to sell you.

  6. #4406
    Tends to be difficult JL25and3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006

    Re: New York Yankees 2012-2013 Offseason Outlook

    Quote Originally Posted by effdamets View Post
    Well, getting creative... For the first 90 games you can rotate Jeter, Youk, Tex and Nunez in and out of the 3 field posiitions and DH.
    Doubtful that all 4 guys would get the same day off.
    And that's not counting a guy that may surprise the club in Spring Training.

    We'll wait and see.
    So either Nunez plays every day or someone "may surprise the club."

    That sounds like a long way of saying, "I got nothing."
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

  7. #4407

    Re: New York Yankees 2012-2013 Offseason Outlook

    If Law's assessment is correct, it is hard to understand not only why the Yankees did not offer more to get him, but also why many other teams (e.g. Rangers) did not offer more. What teams other than the Mariners were on his no-trade list?

    I agree this is very disappointing, more so than any other non-move this winter.

  8. #4408
    NYYF Legend

    ymike673's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn,NY

    Re: New York Yankees 2012-2013 Offseason Outlook

    Quote Originally Posted by NerfBall55 View Post
    Yes, if only our farm could produce guys like Gardner, Robertson, Cano, Hughes, Cabrerra, Jackson, etc..we'd be all set.

    And if Cabrera, Jackson and Montero were still on the roster maybe they would be.

    Cano was signed as a free agent in 2001. He was not a part of the draft.

  9. #4409
    The Sausage King of Chicago Abe Frohman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006

    Re: New York Yankees 2012-2013 Offseason Outlook

    Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    And if Cabrera, Jackson and Montero were still on the roster maybe they would be.

    Cano was signed as a free agent in 2001. He was not a part of the draft.
    Some of the players he listed have contributed on the MLB level, Cano mainly.

    However, that is hardly a core of young talent you could build around.

    Gardner is arguably a good player ... i say arguably because you ask any NYY fan and they'll relegate him to pinch running duties quick.

    Robertson is a RP who has shown difficulty acclimating to a closers role, the greatest contribution a RP could make to his club.

    Phil Hughes is a league average pitcher.

    Cabrera is gone and has done far more out of a Yankee uni than in one.

    Jackson too has developed into something, elsewhere.

    So of all these prospects he mentioned, we have one elite player in Cano, some great RP from DROB, and a few SB's from Gardner.

    nothing else.
    ? Can switching to Geico really save you 15 % or more on car insurance ? ? Does the postman always ring twice ?

  10. #4410
    NYYF Legend

    flymick24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    What's it to you?

    Re: New York Yankees 2012-2013 Offseason Outlook

    cashman was interviewed on WFAN about 2 hours ago... said that he missed out on upton because he was too busy monitoring the progress of carl pavano from his ruptured spleen
    help feed the hungry:

    www.thehungersite.com

  11. #4411

    Re: New York Yankees 2012-2013 Offseason Outlook

    Catcher George Kottaras, who had been mentioned as a potential target for the Yankees, has been claimed off waivers by the Kansas City Royals:

    https://mobile.twitter.com/Royals/st...0777575424?p=v

  12. #4412
    Better than you teknetic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    NJ

    Re: New York Yankees 2012-2013 Offseason Outlook

    Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    I just returned from vacation to learn we missed out on Upton. I always wanted him, and always thought he fit perfectly into what we needed, especially considering his low AAV hit towards the $189M goal.

    Reading Keith Law's trade write-up makes me sad:
    Has Delgado's stock fallen that much? I thought he was a top-tier prospect.

  13. #4413
    can't pump his fist Mark19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Alexandria, VA

    Re: New York Yankees 2012-2013 Offseason Outlook

    Quote Originally Posted by flymick24 View Post
    cashman was interviewed on WFAN about 2 hours ago... said that he missed out on upton because he was too busy monitoring the progress of carl pavano from his ruptured spleen
    I heard he was going to be on - what did he actually say?
    SI: Do you have a secret ambition?
    Igawa: That's secret.


    "They should just practice during the regular season and show up for the playoffs -Ichiro on the Yankees

  14. #4414
    Big Poppa dabomb2045's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Poughkeepsie, NY

    Re: New York Yankees 2012-2013 Offseason Outlook

    Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    Really maybe the Yankees should be spending their money on people who can get results in the area of player development. Its ridiculous that the Yankees can not produce any quality players from their farm system. Plenty of top players are drafted in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. Even if the Yankees never have a high first round pick they should still be able to get quality players from the draft. They have three first round picks in this seasons draft. Would be nice if they could get a quality player from one of those picks.
    Doesnt help when we blow draft picks on people like Cito Culver, or cant get Gerrit Cole signed (not saying Cole was all the Yanks fault, but the fact is they couldnt get a deal done. And I'm aware we got Heathcott because of losing him).

    I believe we have three first rounders in 2013? We need to absolutely nail this upcoming draft.

  15. #4415
    NYYF Legend

    flymick24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    What's it to you?

    Re: New York Yankees 2012-2013 Offseason Outlook

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark19 View Post
    I heard he was going to be on - what did he actually say?
    nothing that we haven't already heard... specifically mentioned the need for a RH OFer, but from what it sounded like, he's still engaged (not really sure what's left out there, but i'm really hoping it's not something depressing like carlos lee)

    said that he's comfortable with cervelli and stewart because of their "experience" and their offensive "upside"

    also of note is that surprisingly, he said that arod could potentially miss all of 2013

    link to audio:
    http://newyork.cbslocal.com/?podcast...ml&dcid=CBS.NY
    help feed the hungry:

    www.thehungersite.com

  16. #4416
    can't pump his fist Mark19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Alexandria, VA

    Re: New York Yankees 2012-2013 Offseason Outlook

    Quote Originally Posted by flymick24 View Post
    nothing that we haven't already heard... specifically mentioned the need for a RH OFer, but from what it sounded like, he's still engaged (not really sure what's left out there, but i'm really hoping it's not something depressing like carlos lee)

    also of not is that surprisingly, he said that arod could potentially miss all of 2013

    link to audio:
    http://newyork.cbslocal.com/?podcast...ml&dcid=CBS.NY
    Thanks

    Unfortunately I suspect that Lee is near the top of his list. I know that Lee vetoed a trade to the Yanks at the deadline last year.
    SI: Do you have a secret ambition?
    Igawa: That's secret.


    "They should just practice during the regular season and show up for the playoffs -Ichiro on the Yankees

  17. #4417

    Re: New York Yankees 2012-2013 Offseason Outlook

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark19 View Post
    Thanks

    Unfortunately I suspect that Lee is near the top of his list. I know that Lee vetoed a trade to the Yanks at the deadline last year.
    [citation needed]
    EvilEmpireDC: Fans bitch about anything lol

  18. #4418

    Re: New York Yankees 2012-2013 Offseason Outlook

    thanks for posting that flymick. Mark Montgomery sounds like pure ecstasy.
    EvilEmpireDC: Fans bitch about anything lol

  19. #4419
    can't pump his fist Mark19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Alexandria, VA

    Re: New York Yankees 2012-2013 Offseason Outlook

    Quote Originally Posted by snapple View Post
    [citation needed]
    http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...o-the-yankees/

    The wonders of Google...
    SI: Do you have a secret ambition?
    Igawa: That's secret.


    "They should just practice during the regular season and show up for the playoffs -Ichiro on the Yankees

  20. #4420

    Re: New York Yankees 2012-2013 Offseason Outlook

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark19 View Post
    I was thinking Cliff Lee for some reason.
    EvilEmpireDC: Fans bitch about anything lol

  21. #4421

    Re: New York Yankees 2012-2013 Offseason Outlook

    Quote Originally Posted by Abe Frohman View Post
    Some of the players he listed have contributed on the MLB level, Cano mainly.

    However, that is hardly a core of young talent you could build around.

    Gardner is arguably a good player ... i say arguably because you ask any NYY fan and they'll relegate him to pinch running duties quick.

    Robertson is a RP who has shown difficulty acclimating to a closers role, the greatest contribution a RP could make to his club.

    Phil Hughes is a league average pitcher.

    Cabrera is gone and has done far more out of a Yankee uni than in one.

    Jackson too has developed into something, elsewhere.

    So of all these prospects he mentioned, we have one elite player in Cano, some great RP from DROB, and a few SB's from Gardner.

    nothing else.
    Few SB's? I guess we should ignore elite defense and high OBP because it won't fit your argument. But anyway, the point wasn't in the context of "where are they now" it was in the comment that our farm couldn't produce good players. And, you can absolutely build a core around Cano/Gardner/Jackson/Robertson, etc....
    Team Northern Lights

  22. #4422
    NYYF Legend

    flymick24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    What's it to you?

    Re: New York Yankees 2012-2013 Offseason Outlook

    cashman also specifically mentioned a DH as a target... i didn't get the impression that he was going to use it as a rotating spot for all the aging player... he probably wants to get another raul ibanez type, although not one who necessarily plays the OF this time (because he was actually stressing that the RH OFer needs to play strong defense)

    here's a list of what's available:

    Bobby Abreu (39)
    Johnny Damon (39)
    Travis Hafner (36)
    Nick Johnson (34)
    Jim Thome (42)

    i'm thinking cashman has his sights set on hafner or thome
    help feed the hungry:

    www.thehungersite.com

  23. #4423

    Re: New York Yankees 2012-2013 Offseason Outlook

    Robertson - who had like 3 or 4 save attempts last season "has difficulty adjusting to the closer role". Now you're just trolling.
    EvilEmpireDC: Fans bitch about anything lol

  24. #4424
    Don't call it a comeback False1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Arizona

    Re: New York Yankees 2012-2013 Offseason Outlook

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark19 View Post
    Interesting Cashman interview from yesterday:



    http://bombersbeat.mlblogs.com/2013/...think-we-dont/

    Cashman almost seem a little defensive. At the risk of playing the armchair psychologist, it almost sounds as if some deals fell through and he's trying to reassure himself that he doesn't actually have to do any work until May or June.
    What did he say that made him sound defensive to you?

  25. #4425
    can't pump his fist Mark19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Alexandria, VA

    Re: New York Yankees 2012-2013 Offseason Outlook

    Quote Originally Posted by flymick24 View Post
    cashman also specifically mentioned a DH as a target... i didn't get the impression that he was going to use it as a rotating spot for all the aging player... he probably wants to get another raul ibanez type, although not one who necessarily plays the OF this time (because he was actually stressing that the RH OFer needs to play strong defense)

    here's a list of what's available:

    Bobby Abreu (39)
    Johnny Damon (39)
    Travis Hafner (36)
    Nick Johnson (34)
    Jim Thome (42)

    i'm thinking cashman has his sights set on hafner or thome
    These guys might also be options:

    From MLBTR ---

    Jason Giambi (42)
    Aubrey Huff (36)
    Casey Kotchman (30)
    Carlos Lee (37)
    Lyle Overbay (36)
    Juan Rivera (34)

    Of that group, Lee and Rivera are the only appetizing options.
    SI: Do you have a secret ambition?
    Igawa: That's secret.


    "They should just practice during the regular season and show up for the playoffs -Ichiro on the Yankees

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts