+ Reply to Thread
Page 158 of 210 FirstFirst ... 58 108 148 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 168 208 ... LastLast
Results 3,926 to 3,950 of 5248

Re: New York Yankees 2012-2013 Offseason Outlook

Quote Originally Posted by ieddyi View Post
    Really, is there any other team in the history of baseball that has had so many contract deals that then take months to finalize?

Sure they want to protect themselves against player injury, but they intentionally drag things out to increase their leverage to squeeze every last bit out of the player/team they're dealing with

Now that they suck and can't even offer good "chemistry" , how long will they get away with that BS ?
    The Red Sox' amazing, unprecedented level of front-office douchitude pretty much boils down to Larry Lucchino, am I right?
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

Quote Originally Posted by The FUTURE View Post
    His bat would translate well into Yankee stadium ??
    doesn't everyone's?
    You can't get a sun-tan on the moon.

NYYFans Fantasy Baseball:
    CBS: Evil Empire
    Yahoo: Special OPS

NYYF Triple Crown

Don't worry everyone. Team is apparently monitoring Javy Vazquez. My name will be relevant again!

Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung4Vazquez View Post
    Don't worry everyone. Team is apparently monitoring Javy Vazquez. My name will be relevant again!
    Third time's a charm. They're also liking what they see of Miguel Cairo at his backyard wiffle ball games.

Quote Originally Posted by ArodEra View Post
    Third time's a charm. They're also liking what they see of Miguel Cairo at his backyard wiffle ball games.
    Hey, he's apparently hitting 95 MPH -- and I still want to lose my breakfast at the thought of him in pinstripes again.

http://www.examiner.com/article/repo...r-ball-outings

Quote Originally Posted by The FUTURE View Post
    His bat would translate well into Yankee stadium ??
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerkface View Post
    He has good opposite field power, so yes. If Russel Martin can hit 20 HRs in NYS, Morse can hit 30+.
    Comparing his HR at Nationals park the last two seasons to the YS dimensions, it would probably cost him a few HR each season. What was mildly interesting is Morse didn't pull a single HR at home last year, after pulling 6 in '11.

If Morse is available somehow for a Logan-led package (like has been rumored but seems to good to be true) then he'd be a nice pickup.

Would still MUCH prefer Upton if the price comes down, especially if they could get something of value for Granderson.

Quote Originally Posted by ArodEra View Post
    Haha, I don't see any way the Yankees take another run at Vazquez. They have a degree of depth at SP on the roster and in mL. But as much fun as it is to poke at Vazquez, I bet some team out there will take a flier on him and if the velo reports are accurate it could pay off on a mL deal.

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung4Vazquez View Post
    Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Fool me three times, and your name is Javy Vazquez.
    "Never, never, never quit."-Winston Churchill.

NYYF Triple Crown

Two beautiful rural acres in Windham, Maine

Seriously, are they really monitoring Vazquez???
    Yankee fan living in Maine.

Released Outright

I don't see why he'd be bad to get on a minor league deal or something. Could make a useful long range reliever.

o/u vazquez starts this year

always reasonable

Geez, I'd totally bite on Vazquez again.

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by jcarey View Post
    Geez, I'd totally bite on Vazquez again.
    Ahhh, one of the stars of LazyEyeLou's classic "20 Game Winner Watch" thread, so heck yea, being him back! Maybe LEL will start posting again.
    He'll never get another milestone like that one. So what? His whole career is a milestone. - JL25and3

I was bored today, so I concocted this absurd scenario:
    • The Yankees trade Granderson and Nunez to the Mariners for Stephen Pryor, Casper Wells, Charlie Furbush, and Brendan Ryan.
    • The Yanks would then flip Boone Logan, Adam Warren, and Melky Mesa to the Nationals for Michael Morse and Sandy Leon.
    • The big piece would then be trading Pryor, Phelps, Furbush, Slade Heathcott, and David Adams to the Diamondbacks for Justin Upton and Patrick Corbin.

Lose:
    Curtis Granderson
    Boone Logan
    David Phelps
    Slade Heathcott
    David Adams
    Melky Mesa
    Adam Warren
    Eduardo Nunez

Gain:
    Justin Upton
    Michael Morse
    Sandy Leon
    Brendan Ryan
    Casper Wells
    Patrick Corbin

The Yankees would end up with Upton in right field, Gardner in center, and a platoon of Ichiro and Morse in LF. Casper Wells would platoon in CF with Gardner. Morse would take starts at DH and 1B in the first half of the season.

The Yankees would lose Logan as their primary LHRP, but Rapada would slide in to take that role, with Corbin, Juan Cedeno, or Cesar Cabral as a possible alternatives.

Sandy Leon is a defensive whiz as a catcher, much more so than Austin Romine. He also has the benefit of being a switch-hitter. He is blocked by Kurt Suzuki this year, and Wilson Ramos for the foreseeable future. I would be very content to have him share time with Cervelli in 2013.

The Yankees have no idea what to do with Nunez, so losing his offensive upside would hurt. For the interim, however, the Yankees would have Brendan Ryan as a top-notch defensive replacement at SS/2B. He'd cost an annoying ~$2.5 million in 2013 but would be a free agent after the season.

The Yanks' AAA depth would take a hit, but finding minor league filler would be the least of their worries. Gaining Patrick Corbin would help mitigate the rotation depth lost by trading Warren and Phelps. Pineda is still on the horizon, and there will always be Brett Marshall or Vidal Nuno for emergencies.

The team could still use a DH against RHP, so we could offer an miL deal / ST invite to someone like Luke Scott or Aubrey Huff to see if they show any signs of life in March. Again, they could easily be cut, or Corban Joseph could make a play for it.

--

Other than the sheer impracticality of this deal, the biggest obstacle I see would be the payroll restrictions. Upton will be earning approx. $9 million in 2013, and then $14.5 in 2014 and 2015. As far as future payroll obligations are concerned, we'd be adding Upton's $14.5 million and only subtracting half a million if we were to non-tender Cervelli or Stewart.

I don't know if the team is willing to make that sort of financial commitment, but this seems like a possible scenario that would allow them to contend in 2013, and for the next couple of seasons, without totally looting their farm system or adding anymore burdensome contracts.
    SI: Do you have a secret ambition?
    Igawa: That's secret.

"They should just practice during the regular season and show up for the playoffs -Ichiro on the Yankees

Quote Originally Posted by Mark19 View Post
    I was bored today, so I concocted this absurd scenario:
    • The Yankees trade Granderson and Nunez to the Mariners for Stephen Pryor, Casper Wells, Charlie Furbush, and Brendan Ryan.
    • The Yanks would then flip Boone Logan, Adam Warren, and Melky Mesa to the Nationals for Michael Morse and Sandy Leon.
    • The big piece would then be trading Pryor, Phelps, Furbush, Slade Heathcott, and David Adams to the Diamondbacks for Justin Upton and Patrick Corbin.
    Lose:
    Curtis Granderson
    Boone Logan
    David Phelps
    Slade Heathcott
    David Adams
    Melky Mesa
    Adam Warren
    Eduardo Nunez

Gain:
    Justin Upton
    Michael Morse
    Sandy Leon
    Brendan Ryan
    Casper Wells
    Patrick Corbin
    I don't think any of those trades seem fair for the other teams in it. I think a three team deal with the M's and DBacks could work...

Granderson to the M's.
    Upton and Ryan(from the M's) to the Yankees
    Franklin, Furbush from the M's to the DBacks and Nova and Nunez from the DBacks to the Yankees.

I wouldn't mind making the Nationals deal a little bigger to get Morse and Wilson Ramos but I'm unsure what the Nationals would require in return.

Looks like Pettitte will be missing from parts of Spring Training for WBC...

http://www.examiner.com/article/pett...seball-classic

Quote Originally Posted by dpfeiffer View Post
    Looks like Pettitte will be missing from parts of Spring Training for WBC...

http://www.examiner.com/article/pett...seball-classic
    My thoughts:

http://forums.nyyfans.com/showthread...=1#post7667891
    Whatever you think...
    Well, you're wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    Looks like your post was before mine, and I didn't see that, so my apologies if I posted in the wrong thread.

I tend to agree with you somewhat. I really don't like the idea of a fragile 40 year old pitching competitive games in March. For some of these younger players, I almost feel as if it helps. Perhaps teams need to start exerting a veto authority into contracts regarding the WBC?

Looks like your post was before mine, and I didn't see that, so my apologies if I posted in the wrong thread.

I tend to agree with you somewhat. I really don't like the idea of a fragile 40 year old pitching competitive games in March. For some of these younger players, I almost feel as if it helps. Perhaps teams need to start exerting a veto authority into contracts regarding the WBC?
    No need for an apology. There is no best thread for this appalling news.
    Whatever you think...
    Well, you're wrong.

Bud would never allow it. He loves the WBC. Allowing teams to do that would guarantee a lack of MLB participation, which would guarantee a lack of NPB participation, and then the Korean leagues would drop out, and then nobody is paying attention except Cuba.
    Mariano Rivera was so great he was able to close a Denny's.

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Quote Originally Posted by TheInfallibleOne View Post
    Bud would never allow it. He loves the WBC. Allowing teams to do that would guarantee a lack of MLB participation, which would guarantee a lack of NPB participation, and then the Korean leagues would drop out, and then nobody is paying attention except Cuba.
    The Tigers said no to Victor Martinez, so the precedent is already set.

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...0104/212030430
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

Quote Originally Posted by TheHugeUnit2 View Post
    I don't think any of those trades seem fair for the other teams in it. I think a three team deal with the M's and DBacks could work...

Granderson to the M's.
    Upton and Ryan(from the M's) to the Yankees
    Franklin, Furbush from the M's to the DBacks and Nova and Nunez from the DBacks to the Yankees.

I wouldn't mind making the Nationals deal a little bigger to get Morse and Wilson Ramos but I'm unsure what the Nationals would require in return.
    One year of a fading Curtis Granderson, who will be 32 years old on Opening Day, has virtually no value to the Mariners, who realistically are not expected to contend in 2013.

Granderson might bring back a compensatory draft pick after the 2013 season in the remote chance he plays well enough to get a qualifying offer. So Granderson's current trade value to the Mariners would be no more than the equivalent of a draft pick in the 28-40 range.

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
    One year of a fading Curtis Granderson, who will be 32 years old on Opening Day, has virtually no value to the Mariners, who realistically are not expected to contend in 2013.

Granderson might bring back a compensatory draft pick after the 2013 season in the remote chance he plays well enough to get a qualifying offer. So Granderson's current trade value to the Mariners would be no more than the equivalent of a draft pick in the 28-40 range.
    I think he will most likely play well enough to receive a qualifying offer. His OPS was still over .800 last season and I think it's fair to assume some sort of bounce back from Curtis. Also, if you put him in left instead of center, his defense might go from being a major hindrance to an advantage. I don't think he's a terrible OF defender, he's just not capable of playing CF anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by tranquility View Post

You think the chance is "remote" that he gets offered a ~1/$13MM qualifying offer? I say he'd have to completely tank to not get an offer.

I wonder if Cashman realizes we don't have a DH. There aren't even any rumors.

Thread Information