+ Reply to Thread
Page 157 of 210 FirstFirst ... 57 107 147 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 167 207 ... LastLast
Results 3,901 to 3,925 of 5248

Re: New York Yankees 2012-2013 Offseason Outlook

Quote Originally Posted by awy View Post
    uh, walker is worth way more than 1 year of granderson.

mariners are an extremely young team witih a target window of 2 or 3 years down the road. they are looking for under 30 guys with high above-average value, so they have a young core that can compete for years to come
    Then why did they trade for Morales and sign Ibanez? Do they think they can flip Morales later in the season if he bounces back?

I don't know wth the Mariners and Royals are doing, but there's a chance they really think they can compete this year, for whatever reason. Maybe they'll do something else stupid - can't hurt to ask.

Edit: And they signed Jason Bay and pursued Napoli. And would Justin Upton get resigned? I doubt it. He's only signed through 2015, so right when the Ms are ready (according to you), he's probably peacing out, the year after Felix leaves. I don't see their plan, really, unless Z just wants to make a splash.

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jcarey View Post
    Then why did they trade for Morales and sign Ibanez? Do they think they can flip Morales later in the season if he bounces back?

I don't know wth the Mariners and Royals are doing, but there's a chance they really think they can compete this year, for whatever reason. Maybe they'll do something else stupid - can't hurt to ask.

Edit: And they signed Jason Bay and pursued Napoli. And would Justin Upton get resigned? I doubt it. He's only signed through 2015, so right when the Ms are ready (according to you), he's probably peacing out, the year after Felix leaves. I don't see their plan, really, unless Z just wants to make a splash.
    I don't always understand the Mariners, but I think there's a difference between trying to put a better team on the field in the short term (by signing FAs like Ibanez or Napoli) and trading a major prospect for a guy who is only going to be around for one year. Vargas/Morales was pretty much a wash -- both guys are FAs after 2014.

A core of Montero/Upton/Ackley has some promise, with a rotation headed by Felix and some promising youngsters. And maybe they think if they turn it around, they can resign some of these guys -- they aren't a cash poor team.

All that said, I agree that it's worth the call to inquire if they have an interest -- it just wouldn't surprise me if it didn't go very far.
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Fan in Boston View Post
    I don't always understand the Mariners, but I think there's a difference between trying to put a better team on the field in the short term (by signing FAs like Ibanez or Napoli) and trading a major prospect for a guy who is only going to be around for one year. Vargas/Morales was pretty much a wash -- both guys are FAs after 2014.

A core of Montero/Upton/Ackley has some promise, with a rotation headed by Felix and some promising youngsters. And maybe they think if they turn it around, they can resign some of these guys -- they aren't a cash poor team.

All that said, I agree that it's worth the call to inquire if they have an interest -- it just wouldn't surprise me if it didn't go very far.
    To clarify, I don't think the Granderson/Walker idea has much merit - but I'm not sure they wouldn't be interested in Granderson generally.

As for Morales, it would seem to make more sense to trade Vargas for a prospect or two if the plan is to be competitive a few years down the line.

Personally, I don't think they should trade for Granderson, but I don't think that package for Upton made sense either. You're right, it's a promising core, but not one that puts them in serious contention any time soon, especially if they can't retain Upton/Felix.

Quote Originally Posted by jcarey View Post

ibanez etc were not that costly. parting with walker requires much heftier strategic return.

teams build up in cycles.
    always reasonable

NYYF HOF

Honestly, after seeing how much they were giving up for Upton, I was merely suggesting we should low ball them an offer. Never said it was a good trade for the M's. I was really looking for people's opinions on whether or not they'd want to see the Yankees sacrifice a key player for the 2013 season in Granderson and risk it on acquiring another young promising arm in Walker.

PS....I'm not trying to make pipe dream trades over here...just trying to get a sense if others would be willing to trade an OF that would be tough to replace his production, this late, for the 2013 season, in order to potentially acquire younger players to rebuild around.

PSS....Id be willing to give them Granderson straight up for walker, haltzen or even Paxson for that matter. Again not saying the M s would do this...that's not the point...
    NYYFANS.com Fantasy Baseball: Carolina Force
    2010 & 2011 Gehrig Division Champs.

Quote Originally Posted by The FUTURE View Post
    Curtis Granderson for Taijuan Walker anyone ??
    Seattle could probably offer 22-year-old righthander Brandon Maurer, the Southern League Most Outstanding Pitcher in 2012 despite starting the season in the same rotation* as Taijuan Walker, Danny Hultzen and James Paxton:

http://www.milb.com/news/article.jsp...=.jsp&sid=l111

Baseball Prospectus, FanGraphs, John Sickels and MLB.com Prospect Watch rank the 6-foot-5 Maurer sixth, seventh, seventh and 11th, respectively, in the loaded Seattle farm system.

* Walker made 25 starts, Maurer 24 starts, Paxton 21 starts and Hultzen 13 starts for the Double A Jackson Generals in 2012
    Last edited by tranquility; 01-12-13 at 12:58 PM.

Ripe for the swooping if Cashman chooses to go for it.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post

Yep, if he'd take 1 year overpay from the Yankees they should be all over this. Power RH bat for DH, backup for 1B and a contingency for C or BUC at worst.

This is where Hal needs to say, "F it, let's get this guy" the way he did with Soriano a few years ago. This is totally out of Cashman's hands right now.

But yes, I said it here a few days ago, the Red Sox are letting Napoli fall into our lap, and if all it takes is $ and a 1 yr deal that doesn't mess with the 2014 bottom line, get it done

Released Outright

Let's get Napoli! Idgaf if he sucks at catching dat bat is totes delish.

Quote Originally Posted by d32123 View Post
    Let's get Napoli! Idgaf if he sucks at catching dat bat is totes delish.
    My codebreaker took the weekend off. Any help with this one?
    EvilEmpireDC: Fans bitch about anything lol

NYYF Legend

I think I'd rather have Morse -- assuming the Nats are not asking for the moon, which could be the case. Between the hip issue and dramatic offensive decline last year I have concerns about Napoli.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Quote Originally Posted by snapple View Post
    My codebreaker took the weekend off. Any help with this one?
    sign napoli his bat pretty good
    always reasonable

Quote Originally Posted by awy View Post
    sign napoli his bat pretty good
    Fire hot tree pretty red sox bad
    Mariano Rivera was so great he was able to close a Denny's.

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    I think I'd rather have Morse -- assuming the Nats are not asking for the moon, which could be the case. Between the hip issue and dramatic offensive decline last year I have concerns about Napoli.
    I am a huge fan of getting Morse.
    Thank you, 2013-2014 New York Rangers for a great season!

NYYFans Fantasy Baseball:
    CBS: Evil Empire
    Yahoo: Special OPS

NYYF HOF

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post

His bat would translate well into Yankee stadium ??
    NYYFANS.com Fantasy Baseball: Carolina Force
    2010 & 2011 Gehrig Division Champs.

Quote Originally Posted by The FUTURE View Post
    His bat would translate well into Yankee stadium ??
    He has good opposite field power, so yes. If Russel Martin can hit 20 HRs in NYS, Morse can hit 30+.

This is our future. JohnnyDamonfan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    I am too. But, this is a 2 part question.

Question 1: Do we have what it takes to get Morse?

Question 2: Do you wanna take the risk of perhaps getting fleeced for Morse?
    Still and will always be a New England Patriots fan.

[quote=THEBOSS84]You may be my favorite poster on the site. So sweet and innocent.[/quote]

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyDamonfan View Post
    Question 1: Do we have what it takes to get Morse?
    He isn't thought to be a tough get. Defensive liability, coming off a down year, frequently injured, pending FA. Most teams in baseball have what it takes.
    Don't tease me, you know what I do for a living.

Quote Originally Posted by philleotardo View Post
    He isn't thought to be a tough get. Defensive liability, coming off a down year, frequently injured, pending FA. Most teams in baseball have what it takes.

Which only leaves Question 2.... We might not get fleeced. But, how much you wanna bet we're gonna regret trading for him when we find out who we may need to give up. If he is that much of a Liability and gets injured that much and is a FA. Why do we need him at any rate trade for him? I'm just curious.

[quote=THEBOSS84]You may be my favorite poster on the site. So sweet and innocent.[/quote]

Which only leaves Question 2.... We might not get fleeced. But, how much you wanna bet we're gonna regret trading for him when we find out who we may need to give up. If he is that much of a Liability and gets injured that much and is a FA. Why do we need him at any rate trade for him? I'm just curious.
    Because its possible he could be got for Boone Logan & a pitching prospect, which is a fine deal. He hits for avg vs both sides and has power both pull & oppo. He is the kind of bat the team sorely needs. The only thing that really diminishes him batting wise is his lack of walks.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by philleotardo View Post
    Multiple teams are rumored to be interested in Morse, including the Rays, Mariners, Orioles, and Red Sox. If the Yankees want to land Morse they will probably have to overpay relative to his worth in a vacuum.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    Multiple teams are rumored to be interested in Morse, including the Rays, Mariners, Orioles, and Red Sox. If the Yankees want to land Morse they will probably have to overpay relative to his worth in a vacuum.
    This is what worries me. I bet you that the M'S are gonna pick him up. After how much they wanted Upton. I bet you within a week or two Morse will be a Mariner.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post

Really, is there any other team in the history of baseball that has had so many contract deals that then take months to finalize?

Sure they want to protect themselves against player injury, but they intentionally drag things out to increase their leverage to squeeze every last bit out of the player/team they're dealing with

Now that they suck and can't even offer good "chemistry" , how long will they get away with that BS ?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdvM0IB5Sbs

MICRO PASSIVE/MICRO AGGRESSIVE

This is what worries me. I bet you that the M'S are gonna pick him up. After how much they wanted Upton. I bet you within a week or two Morse will be a Mariner.
    The Seattle Mariners, who realistically are not expected to contend in 2013, would have little interest in a one-year rental of a defensively challenged outfielder who will be 31 years old on Opening Day.

A single one-year rental of Kendrys Morales should suffice.

Thread Information