+ Reply to Thread
Page 156 of 210 FirstFirst ... 56 106 146 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 166 206 ... LastLast
Results 3,876 to 3,900 of 5248
    NYYF Legend

Re: New York Yankees 2012-2013 Offseason Outlook

Quote Originally Posted by nyybronxbomber73 View Post
    One more From Davidoff:
    Hal: Getting under $189 mil isn't just a 1-year goal: "I believe that you don’t have to have a $220-million payroll to win a championship."
    Hal Steinbrenner: "There’s been no real, significant dialogue" with Robinson Cano about an extension. #Yankees
    You do when you have 4-5 players combining to earn $120M when they are probably worth closer to $50M...

Quote Originally Posted by effdamets View Post
    What they've done?
    He's probably referring to re-signing Kuroda with a $5MM raise and Pettitte with a huge raise as well. They also gave Ichiro $13MM. You can debate the strategy, the logic of the moves, etc... but as fans we've gotten so accustomed to money slinging around these types of deals don't even register.

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Have you forgotten the Matt Diaz signing?
    Lol,

I was waiting for the rimshot.
    [font=Verdana]Live For The Day[/font]

One more From Davidoff:
    Hal: Getting under $189 mil isn't just a 1-year goal: "I believe that you don’t have to have a $220-million payroll to win a championship."
    Hal Steinbrenner: "There’s been no real, significant dialogue" with Robinson Cano about an extension. #Yankees
    Quote Originally Posted by Jax Teller View Post
    Good to hear. Hopefully it's not BS.
    I agree, but I hope that there's conviction behind the other comment bolded below... if this new strategy fails and they have moves (in the non 10/$275MM category) they can make that push the salary envelope to non-ridiculous proportions, I'd prefer they not hard stop those just to line pockets and not make wise deals because they've made dumb ones in the past.

Ken Davidoff on Twitter:
    #Yankees boss Hal Steinbrenner, today at #MLB owners meetings: "We’ve got some work to do, still. We need another bat. We’re not done yet."
    Steinbrenner, re: fans angry about team's direction: "I’m surprised to hear that there’s anger, if you see what we’ve done this offseason."
    Hal: "Is our goal 189 next year? Yes. But only if I’m convinced if the team I see, that we’ve put together, is a championship-caliber team."

real life
    always reasonable

Deleted, as I was obviously beaten to the punch.

NYYF Legend

Hal Steinbrenner must be getting senile as if he suddenly realizes that the Yankees still have some question marks..........we need another bat.....
    You think and while you at it, you may want to address the catching position while you are at it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    I agree, but I hope that there's conviction behind the other comment bolded below... if this new strategy fails and they have moves (in the non 10/$275MM category) they can make that push the salary envelope to non-ridiculous proportions, I'd prefer they not hard stop those just to line pockets and not make wise deals because they've made dumb ones in the past.
    I agree. If a move makes sense financially & for their lineup, then they should go for it. However, going after a Cliff Lee type at the all star break just because he's available would be a bad move.

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    He's probably referring to re-signing Kuroda with a $5MM raise and Pettitte with a huge raise as well. They also gave Ichiro $13MM. You can debate the strategy, the logic of the moves, etc... but as fans we've gotten so accustomed to money slinging around these types of deals don't even register.
    I think it's also that those are status quo moves. Meanwhile, some of us think that the team has become weaker at several positions without addressing those needs very effectively.

For me, at least, it's not just about whether they're spending money or not. (In addition to the signings you mentioned, there's also $12M to Youkilis.) But overall, what they've done is get a couple of one-year stopgaps to keep the rotation from falling apart, spent money at 3B and RF without improving themselves (not that they had much choice at 3B), and left themselves without a major-league catcher or DH. And they're not exactly forward-looking moves, either.

Just my opinion.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

With the Red Sox still dragging their feet on Napoli and Cherrington coming out today and saying "I still consider him a free agent" what are the chances of the Yankees swooping in and stealing him on a big $ 1 yr deal? Gotta think Napoli isn't too pleased with the Sox right now and say $15m + incentives for 1 yr, with a 2nd year option and sizable buyout might appeal to him

I know the odds aren't good and I don't expect the Yankees to outlay that much $ at this point, but he'd be a perfect fit right now as a RH DH and once or twice a week catcher, and it's a chance to stick it to Boston

Quote Originally Posted by effdamets View Post
    What they've done?
    Pettitte, Rivera, and Kuroda were vital signings, and they weren't cheap. I'm not overly pleased with the Ichiro and Youk acquisitions (don't mind the signings, thought we overpaid), but they fill two holes.

We need a corner OFer and a DH - extremely easy positions to fill. If the "bat" that Stein is talking about is significant, I like the lineup, rotation, bullpen

I don't think catcher is an issue, but I guess some would disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Sabbathia View Post
    With the Red Sox still dragging their feet on Napoli and Cherrington coming out today and saying "I still consider him a free agent" what are the chances of the Yankees swooping in and stealing him on a big $ 1 yr deal? Gotta think Napoli isn't too pleased with the Sox right now and say $15m + incentives for 1 yr, with a 2nd year option and sizable buyout might appeal to him

I know the odds aren't good and I don't expect the Yankees to outlay that much $ at this point, but he'd be a perfect fit right now as a RH DH and once or twice a week catcher, and it's a chance to stick it to Boston
    According to one source, the Red Sox and Mike Napoli might be headed in separate directions:

http://clnsradio.com/2013/01/10/repo...te-directions/

Quote Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
    According to one source, the Red Sox and Mike Napoli might be headed in separate directions:

http://clnsradio.com/2013/01/10/repo...te-directions/
    Yes, I'd say you nailed your summary of that article, which is entitled "Report: Red Sox, Mike Napoli Possibly Going in Separate Directions."
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

M's, Cubs, Jays and Red Sox are on his no trade list.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post

M's, Cubs, Jays and Red Sox are on his no trade list.
    Arizona would have received Nick Franklin, Charlie Furbush, Stephen Pryor and one of Taijuan Walker, Danny Hultzen or James Paxton.
    http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/0...-mariners.html

Monster package
    “Everything looks nicer when you win. The girls are prettier, the cigars taste better. The trees are greener.”—Billy Martin

NYYF Legend

^ Furbush and monster package in the same post. Someone should make a joke about that.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Now Jack Z should sober up.
    Don't tease me, you know what I do for a living.

Released Outright

Yankees should totally make an offer for Upton.

Quote Originally Posted by d32123 View Post
    Yankees should totally make an offer for Upton.
    I think they should be interested, but he's not worth what Seattle was about to give up. I can't imagine what the comparable Yankees' package would be.
    Don't tease me, you know what I do for a living.

Brien "The Incident" just-blaze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by philleotardo View Post
    I think they should be interested, but he's not worth what Seattle was about to give up. I can't imagine what the comparable Yankees' package would be.
    Nothing comparable at the moment, maybe in a year with some good health and fortune we could match it.

We would have to add more.
    Fistpumping like a champion.

Released Outright

Quote Originally Posted by philleotardo View Post
    I don't think they really have to beat the Mariners overpay. Now that the Arizona FO knows that Upton won't go to Seattle, all the Yankees have to do is top whatever offer Texas and co. make (easier said than done though).

This is our future. JohnnyDamonfan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by d32123 View Post
    I don't think they really have to beat the Mariners overpay. Now that the Arizona FO knows that Upton won't go to Seattle, all the Yankees have to do is top whatever offer Texas and co. make (easier said than done though).
    I wonder what Texas would have to give up. Maybe something like Profar, Olt, ++
    Still and will always be a New England Patriots fan.

[quote=THEBOSS84]You may be my favorite poster on the site. So sweet and innocent.[/quote]

NYYF HOF

Curtis Granderson for Taijuan Walker anyone ??
    NYYFANS.com Fantasy Baseball: Carolina Force
    2010 & 2011 Gehrig Division Champs.

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The FUTURE View Post
    Curtis Granderson for Taijuan Walker anyone ??
    You know, I was wondering what they'd be willing to give up for one year of Granderson as well. I assume it's significantly less, given that their chances of winning this year are pretty low, and that the Yankees probably aren't as open to trading Granderson as they might have been earlier in the offseason, when he would have been easier to replace. Worth some exploration, though

EDIT: Actually, if we really want to dream, make it a 3-way where the Yankees get Upton, and the Mariners get Granderson, and an OF prospect
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

uh, walker is worth way more than 1 year of granderson.

mariners are an extremely young team witih a target window of 2 or 3 years down the road. they are looking for under 30 guys with high above-average value, so they have a young core that can compete for years to come
    always reasonable

Thread Information