+ Reply to Thread
Page 145 of 210 FirstFirst ... 45 95 135 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 155 195 ... LastLast
Results 3,601 to 3,625 of 5248

Re: New York Yankees 2012-2013 Offseason Outlook

Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung4Vazquez View Post
    It's now January and this team still has no legit major league catcher on its roster or come even close to the HRs that have left the lineup. Assuming a major trad will happen soon, right? Last I remembered this was a billion dollar franchise based in New York City.
    Last I remembered this was a franchise who won 40 AL pennants and 27 WS championships hitting less HRs than they did in 2012.
    “Everything looks nicer when you win. The girls are prettier, the cigars taste better. The trees are greener.”—Billy Martin

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung4Vazquez View Post
    It's now January and this team still has no legit major league catcher on its roster or come even close to the HRs that have left the lineup. Assuming a major trad will happen soon, right? Last I remembered this was a billion dollar franchise based in New York City.
    We still have about 6 weeks or so to go until spring training, still plenty of time
    [SIZE=3]"Scooter - RIP and thank you for being part of my childhood"[/SIZE]

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by BeantownYankee View Post
    We still have about 6 weeks or so to go until spring training, still plenty of time
    Agree completely.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneTravis View Post
    I must not pay attention. Are you really an internet stalker?
    a/s/l?
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Come on in. I made you some chocolate chip cookies and iced tea.

I've made a huge mistake Gob Rules's Avatar

crap 6 weeks till spring training already? that's kind of close.
    Gob Rules. the Clint Eastwood of NYYFans.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Gob Rules View Post
    WBC years have accelerated spring if I remember right.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Quote Originally Posted by Gob Rules View Post
    Last year the Yankees added a key rotation piece (Kuroda), a bench/DH platoon (Jones Ibanez), and pen pieces (Rapata and Aardsma) ... all after the first of the year. They also traded Burnett, invited a slew of players to ST and added depth at AAA.

They have about that same amount of work (if not less) this off season.
    “Everything looks nicer when you win. The girls are prettier, the cigars taste better. The trees are greener.”—Billy Martin

Quote Originally Posted by Gusto View Post
    Last year the Yankees added a key rotation piece (Kuroda), a bench/DH platoon (Jones Ibanez), and pen pieces (Rapata and Aardsma) ... all after the first of the year. They also traded Burnett, invited a slew of players to ST and added depth at AAA.

BUT AGlNG PLAYERS
    Thank you for making me calm today, Brett Gardner

Assuming they intend to have Romine/Stewart/Cervelli as their catcher, that's correct. Otherwise, that's a lot bigger than any of the things you mention.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Martin was a very solid defender, but his offense will be replaced by just about anybody.

Quote Originally Posted by gold23 View Post
    Martin was a very solid defender, but his offense will be replaced by just about anybody.
    I'm not confident that Romine/Stewart/Cervelli - in any order - can even replace Martin's meager offense.
    - Barry Manilow

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Assuming they intend to have Romine/Stewart/Cervelli as their catcher, that's correct. Otherwise, that's a lot bigger than any of the things you mention.
    At this time last year, they hadn't yet signed Pettitte, Kuroda, or Garcia. Their rotation was CC, Pineda (assumed healthy at the time), Nova, a suspect Hughes and a black hole. How is that not more than replacing Martin's 713 OPS?

At this time last year, they hadn't yet signed Pettitte, Kuroda, or Garcia. Their rotation was CC, Pineda (assumed healthy at the time), Nova, a suspect Hughes and a black hole. How is that not more than replacing Martin's 713 OPS?
    Those pitchers were all available free agents. Who are you suggesting they get to catch?
    - Barry Manilow

Those pitchers were all available free agents. Who are you suggesting they get to catch?
    If there are so few (if any) catching options to consider, why would it require so much work?

I'm not confident that Romine/Stewart/Cervelli - in any order - can even replace Martin's meager offense.
    In the aggregate, Cervelli's not the same hitter even the '12 version of Martin was. But Martin's value basically comes from his HR. Cervelli has been a very good situational and singles hitter, and the Yankees problems have come from the times when power and walks don't serve well. I'm not saying Cervelli is any great shakes, but I don't think it can be stressed how bad Martin was this year (and for much of his Yankee career outside of the first month or two).

If there are so few (if any) catching options to consider, why would it require so much work?
    The lack of available, attractive free agent options leaves a trade as the only other possibility. That does take more work than signing Andy Pettitte did, and having few options requires more from scouting etc.

Unless they decide to stick with what they've got, which is what appears will happen. I've acknowledged that that takes virtually no work.

In the aggregate, Cervelli's not the same hitter even the '12 version of Martin was. But Martin's value basically comes from his HR. Cervelli has been a very good situational and singles hitter, and the Yankees problems have come from the times when power and walks don't serve well. I'm not saying Cervelli is any great shakes, but I don't think it can be stressed how bad Martin was this year (and for much of his Yankee career outside of the first month or two).
    The Yankees problems came from the times when power and walks didn't serve well because they had plenty of power and walks. With less of those things, singles and bunts aren't going to be so darned attractive.
    - Barry Manilow

The lack of available, attractive free agent options leaves a trade as the only other possibility. That does take more work than signing Andy Pettitte did, and having few options requires more from scouting etc.

Unless they decide to stick with what they've got, which is what appears will happen. I've acknowledged that that takes virtually no work.
    You mean, like trading AJ last year?

The words "Jesus Montero" can probably stress how bad Martin was last year offensively. Those words cannot, however, stress how strong his defense was.

Assuming Romine/Cervelli/Stewart etc can be very good defensively, losing Martin isn't the end of the world. But people are really short selling Martin's bat in the context of catchers. "I don't think it can be stressed how bad Martin was" is a pretty big reach. His babip was .222 which is probably going to rebound this season, he still drew walks and as you state (and for some reason slight) he hit for good power for a C. It was a poor season offensively, but not "words can't express" bad. And I'd imagine he'll be better this season.

You mean, like trading AJ last year?
    Yes, I still think it's easier to get rid of a potentially useful innings-eater at pennies on the dollar than to pick up an actually useful MLB catcher. in a trade. I hope I'm wrong, but I'm beginning to believe that that's not their intent.
    - Barry Manilow

Addicted Member

Good points. We need to keep in mind that Ibanez didn't sign with the Yankees last year until February 21st!

those are all icing on the cake. we are missing everyday rotation players right now. big difference

Quote Originally Posted by yanksftw View Post
    those are all icing on the cake. we are missing everyday rotation players right now. big difference
    We are? CC, Pettitte, Kuroda, Hughes and Nova, plus depth (Phelps and perhaps Pineda midseason). I say the rotation is set.

We also have a full pen with Mo, Robertson, Joba, Aardsma, Logan, Rapata and Phelps, plus depth (Eppley, Spence, Herndon and at some point Montgomery)

We also have a full infield plus ARod joining midseason.

We have three out of four OF parts in place.

They need a RH OF, a couple of bench/DH players and depth. They'd also like an upgrade at C if possible. That's it. Those players might come via trade, but Cashman isn't starting his search now ... its likely been his focus throughout the offseason. He also doesn't need to force anything now ... trades can be completed any time before opening day. He has time ... lots of it.

Cervell is also a much crappier defender.

Yes, I still think it's easier to get rid of a potentially useful innings-eater at pennies on the dollar than to pick up an actually useful MLB catcher. in a trade. I hope I'm wrong, but I'm beginning to believe that that's not their intent.
    Any thoughts on Jaso?

Montero got half the starts at catcher the last month of the season and MLB.com recently moved him ahead of Jaso on the depth chart (not that it means much).

He's a LH hitter with 3 years of control left, so he fits the Yankees well.

Thread Information