+ Reply to Thread
Page 93 of 210 FirstFirst ... 43 83 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 103 143 193 ... LastLast
Results 2,301 to 2,325 of 5248
    NYYF Legend

Re: New York Yankees 2012-2013 Offseason Outlook

Quote Originally Posted by NerfBall55 View Post
    That said, I'd prefer Cuban by a big margin.

Quote Originally Posted by apalradio View Post
    Those three signings, while clearly a good move, are status quo signings. We need Kuroda and Pettitte again next year, and hopefully Mo stays healthy and continues to do what he always does. But they merely keep the pitching staff stable from last year, and actually make the team just another bit older.. They don't actually improve the team, which seems to be the missing link so far in these offseason developments.
    If Cashman is able to go out and make a move that will significantly improve the roster over last year's, I will be a little surprised. Even without the budget constraints, is there a free agent out there that anyone is dying to see on the team? Or a realistic trade situation for an impact player?

I would rather see a lean year this year than have them go out and sign a bad long-term contract. In 2008 everyone was screaming that they didn't get Santana. They didn't make the playoffs that year, but it made money available for the players they signed the following offseason that got the team to the World Series. I was totally fine with that and I think this year is a similar situation.
    [COLOR=navy][/COLOR]

Devoted Member

If the Yankees can re-sign Ichiro and sign Youkilis, the starting lineup on OD could look like this:

RF Ichiro
    3B Youkilis
    2B Cano
    1B Teixeira
    CF Granderson
    DH Ibanez
    SS Nunez
    LF Gardner
    C Romine

I like Nunez' bat, but obviously his glove is very suspect. If Jeter misses opening day, I think he'd be back before a week or two, so Nunez at SS for 9-10 games should be OK. I believe the Yankees will sign a veteran catcher, and possibly Scott Hairston for a righty bat off the bench or to platoon with Ibanez and one of the lefty outfielders.

Once Jeter is back leading off, Youkilis will move down to the 6 or 7 spot, and the line up actually looks solid, at least on paper.

SS Jeter
    RF Ichiro
    2B Cano
    1B Teixeira
    CF Granderson
    3B Youkilis
    DH Ibanez/Nunez/Hairston
    C Veteran Catcher
    LF Gardner

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post
    The Sandman says hello.
    Yea, I wasn't aware Mariano signed or anything. I was sorta referring to the fact that he would have taken over Soriano's role (or at least shared it with Robertson) pre-Mariano injury.

Erik Boland ‏@eboland11 Yankees spring schedule hasn't been released yet but looking like Yankees will play DR WBC team, with Cano, on March 6 in Tampa

Quote Originally Posted by Jax Teller View Post
    Erik Boland ‏@eboland11 Yankees spring schedule hasn't been released yet but looking like Yankees will play DR WBC team, with Cano, on March 6 in Tampa
    A whole lot of dumb people are about to be offended.

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Quote Originally Posted by teknetic View Post
    Yea, I wasn't aware Mariano signed or anything. I was sorta referring to the fact that he would have taken over Soriano's role (or at least shared it with Robertson) pre-Mariano injury.
    If there is anything I feel comfortable with right now, it is the Yankees bullpen

BULLPEN
    M. Rivera (CL)
    D. Robertson
    B. Logan
    C. Rapada
    D. Aardsma
    J. Chamberlain
    C. Eppley
    A. Warren
    C. Cabral

Add to the list the loser of the Phelps/Nova battle for the 5th starter slot and we have 10 solid candidates for what is probably six to seven slots.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

Quote Originally Posted by Gusto View Post
    Not re-signing Martin and Chavez, and whiffing on Keppinger and Schierholtz seem to be driving the general sense that the offseason is not developing, but none of them would have improved the team over last year, either.

So why is not signing them so devastating to improving the team, but resigning the pitchers is void of impact?

You don't? The whole is greater than the sum of its parts. Losing Chavez, Swisher, Ibanez (?), Martin and Rodriguez to injury has cost the team 11.2 WAR. That's actually a pretty substantial loss. The self-imposed financial constraints has made it nearly impossible for Cashman to do his job effectively. Unless Cashman pulls a rabbit out of his hat with a blockbuster, the Yankees are going to take a pretty significant hit offensively.

The Pen is another story. losing Soriano means that if MO is ineffective, Robertson shifts to closer, Joba's back to setup man and then it's anybody's guess how the rest shake's out.

Too much need and not enough cash flow.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Jax Teller View Post
    maybe a preview of what 2014 will be like
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

Quote Originally Posted by Benefactor View Post
    You don't? The whole is greater than the sum of its parts. Losing Chavez, Swisher, Ibanez (?), Martin and Rodriguez to injury has cost the team 11.2 WAR. That's actually a pretty substantial loss. The self-imposed financial constraints has made it nearly impossible for Cashman to do his job effectively. Unless Cashman pulls a rabbit out of his hat with a blockbuster, the Yankees are going to take a pretty significant hit offensively.

The Pen is another story. losing Soriano means that if MO is ineffective, Robertson shifts to closer, Joba's back to setup man and then it's anybody's guess how the rest shake's out.

Too much need and not enough cash flow.
    a healthy Gardner has the potential to negate almost half of that lost WAR.

Hey lets not try and get some young talent on this team instead lets get some more old guys who'll break down by September
    Not Removing Until We Acquire Giancarlo Stanton

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeefan3783 View Post
    If the Yankees can re-sign Ichiro and sign Youkilis, the starting lineup on OD could look like this:
    Ibanez hasn't been signed either.

Quote Originally Posted by flymick24 View Post
    maybe a preview of what 2014 will be like
    HA
    like delv, but better

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    a healthy Gardner has the potential to negate almost half of that lost WAR.
    That would be sweeeet!!

I have to admit that I'm kind of concern about the true end game the Steinbrenner family is playing here. I don't know what they're really up to?????
    Poor ownership can hold a baseball team down for years!

Richmond Virginians

Will Cash get frustrated and resign. Having no power to make deals has to be tough.

The gerbil lives Zimmers' Helmet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    I have to admit that I'm kind of concern about the true end game the Steinbrenner family is playing here. I don't know what they're really up to?????
    While I'm not yet convinced that they're thinking of selling the team, I wouldn't be surprised if they're starting to run out of patience with Cashman and his inability to develop cost-efficient talent through the farm system.

I wouldn't entirely blame them either - it's one of the main reasons this team has so many holes to fill with an already bloated payroll.

It's been six years since Cashman was given autonomy, and the only quality every day player the system has produced (Austin Jackson) was traded.
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmers' Helmet View Post
    While I'm not yet convinced that they're thinking of selling the team, I wouldn't be surprised if they're starting to run out of patience with Cashman and his inability to develop cost-efficient talent through the farm system.

I wouldn't entirely blame them either - it's one of the main reasons this team has so many holes to fill with an already bloated payroll.

It's been six years since Cashman was given autonomy, and the only quality every day player the system has produced (Austin Jackson) was traded.
    You mean position players right?

Quote Originally Posted by BennyTheJetRodriguez View Post
    You mean position players right?
    Correct. Pitching hasn't been so bad - Hughes, Phelps, Joba and D-Rob have all made key contributions at one point or another.

The Yankees (but not Cash) looking into Hamilton, according to Nightengale:

The #Yankees, but not GM Brian Cashman, quietly running background check on Josh Hamilton, rival GM says

https://twitter.com/BNightengale/sta...15565128847360

NYYF Cy Young

The thing I don't get is the Yanks are saving all of this money, but where is this money going?? A few years ago when ticket prices were so much higher than every other team I could blame it on payroll and understand (sort of). Now what? Is it going to Player development and scouting where you can possibly get young good players for cheap? Looking at the farm system, I don't see it being much better than a few years ago. It is like the owners are taking this money they are saving and instead of putting it back in the team, they are pocketing it. That is what is the most frustrating.

Quote Originally Posted by wang+cano=future View Post

The #Yankees, but not GM Brian Cashman, quietly running background check on Josh Hamilton, rival GM says

If true, then this further illustrates my belief that Cashman's days may be numbered.
    The thought of Levine making personnel decisions scares the crap out of me.

Levine trying to become the new George. He drove Joe Torre out and now wants to do the same to Cashman

Quote Originally Posted by wang+cano=future View Post

A couple of questions.

First, why would they be pinching pennies to all of a sudden go after Hamilton, unless they have no intention of keeping Cano in 2014 and/or they think they can get out from under A-Rod's contract.

Second, how would a rival GM have this information?
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    A couple of questions.

First, why would they be pinching pennies to all of a sudden go after Hamilton, unless they have no intention of keeping Cano in 2014 and/or they think they can get out from under A-Rod's contract.

Second, how would a rival GM have this information?
    It could have been leaked (or made up) by Hamilton's agent to get either the Mariners or Texas to step up their offer to Hamilton.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    Really? Why isn't it clear that they are just trying to make money, like any business would? What is odd or mysterious about that?

Getting the payroll under 189 for 2014 is a no brainer. Anyone who thinks George or any other past or current owner of a sports franchise would not do the same is deluded about who George was or who other owners are. Anyway, the 189 has constrained the multiyear deals this year. That is why Martin could not be retained.

Hal's decision to keep the payroll steady, not much over 200 million, for the past few years
    is based on his belief that the Yankees should be able to make the playoffs and have a chance to win without being further away from other teams. He may or may not be correct about that for 2013, but he has been correct on the last three years when that payroll got them into the playoffs with a real chance to win. (And the Yankees had a chance to win each year, despite what many here will assert. They certainly had a chance this fall; the offensive blackout was not Hal's fault.)

How Cashman et al. spend (and whether the budget is adequate to win and bring in fans) for the 2013 season may be subject to debate here , but the overall budget strategy should not be a mystery.

Thread Information