+ Reply to Thread
Page 60 of 210 FirstFirst ... 10 50 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 70 110 160 ... LastLast
Results 1,476 to 1,500 of 5248

Re: New York Yankees 2012-2013 Offseason Outlook

Quote Originally Posted by TheScooter View Post
    Josh Hamilton in NY? He has one relapse per year outside of NY. That guy in NY with all the temptations in Manhattan? I was sitting in the bleachers in the summer of 2009 when Texas was in town. The bleacher creatures started chanting "Rehab". Hamilton turned around gave them the finger.

It was this game

http://scores.espn.go.com/mlb/boxscore?gameId=290827110
    thats awesome. I don't know how fans don't get the finger more.

Yeah; the fans deserved it, imo.

Josh Hamilton in NY? He has one relapse per year outside of NY. That guy in NY with all the temptations in Manhattan? I was sitting in the bleachers in the summer of 2009 when Texas was in town. The bleacher creatures started chanting "Rehab". Hamilton turned around gave them the finger.

It was this game

Yanks 2-12 RISP. Sounds right.
    Don't tease me, you know what I do for a living.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung4Vazquez View Post
    Exactly. This is becoming ridiculous. If they replace him with some aged veteran (only because that person is willing to take a one year deal) I'm going to become enraged. This team plays in New York and is a billion dollar organization. There is NO reason for them to act like they're the Royals.
    Not to mention, I don't understand why Granderson's 2013 salary is an issue. He's off the books for 2014 either way, unless I'm mistaken.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Any chance of a Granderson for Dickey swap? Pick up Berkman and Reynolds with the extra scratch.

NYYF Legend

granderson's value may be low, but he's worth more than a 38 year old pitcher
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by flymick24 View Post
    granderson's value may be low, but he's worth more than a 38 year old pitcher
    I guarantee you the Mets can get more for Dickey than the Yanks can for Grandy.

NYYF Cy Young

The $189M is not really $189M

The definition for "payroll" under the newest collective bargaining agreement is as follows: "Payrolls are for 40-man rosters and include averages of multiyear contracts; health and pension benefits; clubs medical costs; insurance; workman's compensation, payroll, unemployment and Social Security taxes; spring training allowances; meal and tip money; All-Star game expenses; travel and moving expenses; postseason pay; and college scholarships."

Some of that, we cannot account for. But we can gain an idea of the biggest expenses, which total probably around 98 percent of the payroll.
    98% is $185.22M. $3.78M goes towards the other expenses besides the medical benefits.

What's important to note are expenses beyond the 25-man roster salaries, all of which count toward that $178 million cap.

A baseball source said the annual expense for medical benefits typically runs between $10 and $11 million per season. We'll split it down the middle for our purposes and say $10.5 million.

All players on the 40-man roster must be accounted for. We'll use Joe Savery as an example. He's on the 40-man roster for the first time and signed to a split contract. So his major-league salary is the minimum of $480,000 and his minor-league salary is $78,250. If he spends the entire year on the Phillies (or the major-league disabled list), he will count $480,000 toward the final payroll. So however many days he spends in the majors, he'll earn a prorated portion of the $480,000, and when he's in the minors, he'll earn a prorated portion of $78,250. Whatever the total is, it counts toward the final figure because Savery is on the 40-man roster.
    http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/p...uxury-tax.html

Take the 2%($3.78M) and the $10M-$11M in medical benefits. $174.22M using $11M for medical benefits. Include the 40 man roster players. The figure is computed at the end of the season. $170M MAX on the 25 player roster on opening day. Injuries will happen. They will use more than 25 players during the season.

Ken Rosenthal was discussing AROD's future on the MLB morning show. He said AROD's playing future could be in jeopardy. AROD never had the second surgery on the hip repaired in 2009. Now he is having surgery on the other hip. Harold Reynolds doesn't think AROD will play in 2013 and his career may be over. Rosenthal said insurance will cover 70% of AROD's contract if he retires because of the bad hips. The Yankees clear $27.5M off their cap.

NYYF Legend

i'll eat my words if i'm wrong, but i'm pretty sure cashman won't make any moves this week, a huge reason why being that money will have to be exchanged in any deals, and the yankees don't operate like that anymore
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

The $189M is not really $189M

98% is $185.22M. $3.78M goes towards the other expenses besides the medical benefits.

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/p...uxury-tax.html

Take the 2%($3.78M) and the $10M-$11M in medical benefits. $174.22M using $11M for medical benefits. Include the 40 man roster players. The figure is computed at the end of the season. $170M MAX on the 25 player roster on opening day. Injuries will happen. They will use more than 25 players during the season.

Ken Rosenthal was discussing AROD's future on the MLB morning show. He said AROD's playing future could be in jeopardy. AROD never had the second surgery on the hip repaired in 2009. Now he is having surgery on the other hip. Harold Reynolds doesn't think AROD will play in 2013 and his career may be over. Rosenthal said insurance will cover 70% of AROD's contract if he retires because of the bad hips. The Yankees clear $27.5M off their cap.
    That'd be a win/win for everyone involved ( except the insurance company ), but I don't see it right now

According to reports, this surgery will be less involved than the first hip surgery- seems like he will be able to come back from it barring complications

I'm fearful we'll end up with the worst case scenario- paying him his full contract $$$ while witnessing continued physical deterioration . Over the past few years, it's been hip ( twice ) knee, shoulder and he's not getting any younger......
    MICRO PASSIVE/MICRO AGRESSIVE

Quote Originally Posted by ieddyi View Post
    That'd be a win/win for everyone involved ( except the insurance company ), but I don't see it right now

According to reports, this surgery will be less involved than the first hip surgery- seems like he will be able to come back from it barring complications

I'm fearful we'll end up with the worst case scenario- paying him his full contract $$$ while witnessing continued physical deterioration . Over the past few years, it's been hip ( twice ) knee, shoulder and he's not getting any younger......
    Do you have a link? Nothing for nothing, was watching MLBN last night and they said the opposite. Said it was more complicated.

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    Do you have a link? Nothing for nothing, was watching MLBN last night and they said the opposite. Said it was more complicated.
    NYT calls it more serious as well, and quotes Cashman saying as much.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/04/sp...kees.html?_r=0

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    This was posted in the other thread:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...ticle-1.366754

Says it's a tear in the labrum and that fluid collected behind it causing a cyst

IIRC, the other surgery was complicated by anatomical anomalies in the hip- that's why they talked about the 2 surgeries

But, if Cashman says it's more complicated- he'd know

Sheesh, really the best ending would be him having to retire due to injury

NYYF Cy Young

Peter Gammons spoke to a doctor at Harvard. Once you have that type of hip surgery,Alex will have a different gait. When he returns,something else will break down. Mike Lowell and Chase Utley had that same hip surgery. It appears the hip surgery has caused knee problems for Utley.

Peter Gammons spoke to a doctor at Harvard. Once you have that type of hip surgery,Alex will have a different gait. When he returns,something else will break down. Mike Lowell and Chase Utley had that same hip surgery. It appears the hip surgery has caused knee problems for Utley.
    Didn't Al already have a knee procedure in Germany already?

We oughta make a pool on which body part falls off completely first

NYYF Legend

i'm sorry, but i stopped reading after the first two words
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

It was this game

Five guys with a SLG% over .500. Sigh

Quote Originally Posted by teknetic View Post
    Five guys with a SLG% over .500. Sigh
    I don't think people fully appreciate how great the 09 squad was. Seemed like everyone besides Melky had an OPS+ over 115

Yes I know they won it all but I'm talking in terms of one of the best Yankee teams ever. I think it was The Times who made a compelling case for them being top 5
    “He's a clown. Guy says he's from the 209, what the ................ is that?

-CC Sabathia on Dallas Braden

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    Not to mention, I don't understand why Granderson's 2013 salary is an issue. He's off the books for 2014 either way, unless I'm mistaken.
    I think the issue is that they won't be able to resign him and stay under the number they need to be under. If they can trade him now and lower salary this year and get players who could fill in to keep salary lower the year after, they are willing to do that.

If you dealt Granderson and signed say Mark Reynolds and maybe traded for Jason Kubel, you could replace Granderson's production at a lower cost in a platoon setting. It's not ideal obviously.

But, if you could get a stud 3rd base prospect from someone that could start for you and then basically use Reynolds/Kubel as a DH platoon that gives you Granderson like production, that would be a better scenario. Kubel and Reynolds off the books the next year when A-Rod is back and needs to basically be a DH.

MLBtraderumors reports that Rangers 3rd base prospect Mike Olt is available.

NYYF Legend

Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal Sources: Dan Haren in agreement with #Nationals, one year, $13M. Pending physical.

Nats should be excellent again.

Quote Originally Posted by justtxyank View Post
    MLBtraderumors reports that Rangers 3rd base prospect Mike Olt is available.
    If Olt is ML ready, he could help Cashman in multiple ways.
    “Everything looks nicer when you win. The girls are prettier, the cigars taste better. The trees are greener.”—Billy Martin

NYYF Legend

That's what I suspect. Not this year but maybe next year A-Rod will retire. 70% of the remaining contract is still lots of money and if he cares about his reputation and HOF chance, he may decide to retire after realizes that he's not going to break the record.

If he chooses this path I'm sure the Yankees will paint him as a Yankees legend like Reggie (not that he isn't, but the team PR sure can help).

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal Sources: Dan Haren in agreement with #Nationals, one year, $13M. Pending physical.

Nats should be excellent again.
    Have to admit that I'm wrong on this one, if he can pass the physical.

Quote Originally Posted by Gusto View Post
    If Olt is ML ready, he could help Cashman in multiple ways.
    Was thinking this myself, but I think it's more likely we get Michael Young if we get anyone from the Rangers. He can play 3B the first half of the season and DH/3B the rest.

Thread Information