+ Reply to Thread
Page 45 of 210 FirstFirst ... 35 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 55 95 145 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,125 of 5248

Re: New York Yankees 2012-2013 Offseason Outlook

Quote Originally Posted by BennyTheJetRodriguez View Post
    I'm pretty sure he was being sarcastic. People who believe Ichiro (or Boggs back in the day) can hit homeruns at will are people who think batting practice is just like live pitching.
    Probably. I think the original statement, where it originated, was probably just an exaggeration but some folks seem to believe it to a point.
    You're a stranger til she whispers you can stay.
    You're a stranger til she whispers that your journey's over.

NYYFans Fantasy Baseball:
    CBS: Evil Empire
    Yahoo: Special OPS

I think Ichiro can hit for legit power. He pulls balls really hard*

*i'm baiting flymick

edit: I don't think he can at will, however.
    Thank you for making me calm today, Brett Gardner

Slow in, Fast out ThePinStripes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    Yeah I've always felt that comment was bs as well. I'm sure he could hit more home runs if he tried but so could any player who knows how to make contact well.
    Not Teix or Granderson. I'm pretty sure they try to hit a homerun every time.
    A fool and his money can throw one heck of a party!

Quote Originally Posted by ThePinStripes View Post
    Not Teix or Granderson. I'm pretty sure they try to hit a homerun every time.
    I agree. And other parts of their at bats suffer because of it.

Yeah I've always felt that comment was bs as well.
    Bob Uecker always said he could hit a home run any time he wanted (but only wanted to 14 times) so why couldn't Ichiro be the same? He just needs a more incentive-laden contract weighted towards HRs. Of course if he did launch 35 or 40 bombs, there would likely be some that would say that was bad for the offense.
    I can't complain but sometimes I still do. - Joe Walsh

I'm not sure how to take the statement though. How much exaggeration is there? How much of it is literal? Could Ichiro hit 50? 60? Maybe he should have taken a year to prove it. Not like the M's were going to suffer any more if he didn't do his normal thing. It may have even helped them score a bit more.

I'm not sure how to take the statement though. How much exaggeration is there? How much of it is literal?
    I watched him poke three in a row into the right field stands during batting practice before the '08 All-Star game. It sure looked like they weren't accidental.

It is hard to say if there is anything to it although it is clear that some players are swinging for the fences a lot more than others. The question is how many could Ichiro hit if his goal was to hit for more power? Perhaps he knocks out 20-25 (which would likely be a stretch given that he is past his prime) but would he hit .215 in the process?
    I can't complain but sometimes I still do. - Joe Walsh

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Man View Post
    I watched him poke three in a row into the right field stands during batting practice before the '08 All-Star game. It sure looked like they weren't accidental.

It is hard to say if there is anything to it although it is clear that some players are swinging for the fences a lot more than others. The question is how many could Ichiro hit if his goal was to hit for more power? Perhaps he knocks out 20-25 (which would likely be a stretch given that he is past his prime) but would he hit .215 in the process?

Everyone else on our team does the HR and .215 thing, why not him?
    I used to think I was crazy... Now I am sure of it..

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Man View Post

Oh I don't doubt he can have power when he wants it. He is a tremendous hitter. But yeah he would suffer in average of course, just like anyone else would. I just wonder if in his prime he could have put up some big home run numbers. I wonder how true that statement is.

I do think Ichiro could have hit more HRs than he did. Not that he would ever be a huge power guy. Ichiro is one of the few guys who has different swings. He has his slap and run swing which is what he uses most, but he also does have a power swing where he tries to pull the ball. He has power, but he also swings at everything so trying for more power wouldn't have led to a huge increase in HRs IMO.
    Now listen to me....Jo-LENE. I've got an army to raise and I must get to Nicaragua. I require a window seat and an in-flight Happy Meal AND NO PICKLES. OH, GOD HELP YOU IF I FIND PICKLES.

Quote Originally Posted by Build4Future View Post
    I'm sick of signing old dues that flame out in October

I want some young hungry wolves
    Seems to me the older guys, outside of arod, were the ones who played well in october. Jeter, kuroda, ibanez, ichiro. The problem was the supposedly prime year guys...tex, granderson, cano and swisher. I agree that everything equal i would like the roster to get younger, but age wasnt the issue in october...

I know this isnt where the thread is heading, but increasingly i dont understand why the yanks didnt offer martin the one year 13.3 option. George king wrote today that the expectation in the industry is he'll get 3 years and $8mm to $10mm per. Factoring in the special circumstance the yankees find themselves in 2014, and the comfort factor the club and presumably the pitchers have with him, i dont think a one time premium of $3mm to $5mm would have been a bad idea at all. If he performs well enough next year that he prices himself out of the picture for the yanks going forward, thats not the worst thing in the world for 2013. If he recedes, then hes off the books anyway in a tight year.

might be worried about durability concerns. he also has a limited market of buyers because of sucky stats
    always reasonable

Quote Originally Posted by awy View Post
    might be worried about durability concerns. he also has a limited market of buyers because of sucky stats
    Maybe kings report is off....30mm over three seems a bit rich. Still, If i were the red sox, id be all over him given their high maintenance pitchers and the 25 or so home runs hed project to hit playing at fenway and the marketability of saltalamacchia. I know it sucked watching his futility at the plate through the first 120 games or whatever it was, but the guy is a very good defensive catcher and hits 20+ home runs.

My problem with Martin is just the length of the deal. I like his defense and think he's worth another go-round in 2013, but I don't think he's worth a 3-year contract on basically any $ terms that he'd accept. The Yankees will have prospects ready to take over before those 3 years are up.

Quote Originally Posted by Jax Teller View Post

snapple: "This disrespect will not go unpunished."

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeFan1421 View Post
    I know this isnt where the thread is heading, but increasingly i dont understand why the yanks didnt offer martin the one year 13.3 option. George king wrote today that the expectation in the industry is he'll get 3 years and $8mm to $10mm per. Factoring in the special circumstance the yankees find themselves in 2014, and the comfort factor the club and presumably the pitchers have with him, i dont think a one time premium of $3mm to $5mm would have been a bad idea at all. If he performs well enough next year that he prices himself out of the picture for the yanks going forward, thats not the worst thing in the world for 2013. If he recedes, then hes off the books anyway in a tight year.
    I agree with this.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

Quote Originally Posted by nyyfan61 View Post
    My problem with Martin is just the length of the deal. I like his defense and think he's worth another go-round in 2013, but I don't think he's worth a 3-year contract on basically any $ terms that he'd accept. The Yankees will have prospects ready to take over before those 3 years are up.
    based on the Yankees' recent history, I'm not sure I'd bet too much money on that as a certainty.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by unfamous loser View Post
    based on the Yankees' recent history, I'm not sure I'd bet too much money on that as a certainty.
    Yep. At one point, the Yanks had an abudance of prospects at the C position. Montero now plays for another team, Romine has had major back issues, and Sanchez is not close to ready.

The same thing happened to the Rangers a few years back. Max Ramirez, Salty, etc...yet they're still looking for a catcher today.

There was a proposal on ESPN a few days ago about the Rays trading Jennings/Davis/Archer + for Stanton and Morrison. The Rays would be able to pull that off pretty easily (could always add better players to the deal) if they wanted to.

I don't see how the Yankees couldn't get Stanton for a similar package. Slade just had a huge AFL. You could make him the centerpiece and get it done.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by snapple View Post
    I don't see how the Yankees couldn't get Stanton for a similar package. Slade just had a huge AFL. You could make him the centerpiece and get it done.
    The proposed Rays deal has 3 major league ready players involved though. Slade is further away, and we can't afford to give up any major league ready pitchers.
    Masahiro Tanaka, 24-0 in 2013. He's the Japanese Jack Bauer.

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by bcom33 View Post
    The proposed Rays deal has 3 major league ready players involved though. Slade is further away, and we can't afford to give up any major league ready pitchers.

Do we have any to give up?
    Never let the fear of striking out get in your way. - Babe Ruth

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    I agree with this.
    Glad to hear it. We really should get along more than we have. We both have at least part of our screen names named after piniella and we both lived in brookline. And, presumably, we've both had beers at the coolidge corner clubhouse, the sports depot and the sunset grill in allston, and nursed off our hangovers at t-anthony's.

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by teknetic View Post
    There was a proposal on ESPN a few days ago about the Rays trading Jennings/Davis/Archer + for Stanton and Morrison. The Rays would be able to pull that off pretty easily (could always add better players to the deal) if they wanted to.
    Very scary. I'm not huge on LoMo, but that makes their lineup pretty dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY
    Mo bends. Mo don't break.

Thread Information