+ Reply to Thread
Page 36 of 210 FirstFirst ... 26 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 46 86 136 ... LastLast
Results 876 to 900 of 5248
  1. #876

    Re: New York Yankees 2012-2013 Offseason Outlook

    Quote Originally Posted by flymick24 View Post
    apparently the angels are in on kuroda now

    the more teams get involved, the more likely i think it is that he leaves
    I doubt it.
    Thank you for making me calm today, Brett Gardner

  2. #877
    NYYF Legend

    flymick24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    What's it to you?

    Re: New York Yankees 2012-2013 Offseason Outlook

    he likes the west coast... in fact, he still lives in cali during the off-season

    the only reason he came to NY was because no one was offering him a decent deal, and cashman was aggressive... but this winter, it's a different story - he actually has choices, and lots of teams are at his beckon call

    all i'm saying is don't be shocked if he signs with someone else in a few weeks and we're left scrambling to fill out the rotation
    help feed the hungry:

    www.thehungersite.com

  3. #878

    Re: New York Yankees 2012-2013 Offseason Outlook

    Oh, I won't be shocked if he does. I just think he will be back in NY. I think he knows his best chance at a ring is to stay here. He's smart enough to realize how stupid flukey it was for our offense to go flaccid like that.
    Thank you for making me calm today, Brett Gardner

  4. #879

    Re: New York Yankees 2012-2013 Offseason Outlook

    Quote Originally Posted by flymick24 View Post
    apparently the angels are in on kuroda now

    the more teams get involved, the more likely i think it is that he leaves

    You've been beating this drum for a while now but I don't see any other team besides the Dodgers giving us a run. Teams have always been interested in Kuroda but he's turned down deals to stay where he's at before. A lot of teams are going to be interested but I doubt he has interest besides us and LA (Japan notwithstanding).

  5. #880
    NYYF Legend

    flymick24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    What's it to you?

    Re: New York Yankees 2012-2013 Offseason Outlook

    Quote Originally Posted by ElDandy View Post
    You've been beating this drum for a while now but I don't see any other team besides the Dodgers giving us a run. Teams have always been interested in Kuroda but he's turned down deals to stay where he's at before. A lot of teams are going to be interested but I doubt he has interest besides us and LA (Japan notwithstanding).
    yes, exactly, both LA teams now are now legitimate landing spots for kuroda... last year, neither team even made him an offer
    help feed the hungry:

    www.thehungersite.com

  6. #881

    Re: New York Yankees 2012-2013 Offseason Outlook

    Quote Originally Posted by flymick24 View Post
    yes, exactly, both LA teams now are now legitimate landing spots for kuroda... last year, neither team even made him an offer

    I don't think he'd consider the Angels to be honest. If all things were equal (and they rarely are), I'd have to assume the only offer from LA he'd consider would be the Dodgers.

  7. #882
    NYYF Legend

    longtimeyankeefan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

    Re: New York Yankees 2012-2013 Offseason Outlook

    Quote Originally Posted by dont_ya_know24 View Post
    again i didn't include incentives. pettitte had a base of 2.5 last year with incentives. i don't think he's expecting a lot, he wants to pitch.
    rivera is rivera, but he was out all year since may, coming off major surgery, in his 40s. a base of 5 mil shouldn't insult him. with those circumstances, that's what he's worth (again not including incentives) it's in his power to realize the incentive salary.

    yeah, they gotta give up some to land someone like stanton. it would probably start with mason williams, sanchez, and then some.
    Pettitte had a low base last year because he decided to come back after being a spring training instructor. The following is from a NY Times article on his signing last year:

    Pettitte emphasized that he did not retire before last season because he no longer thought he could perform. He said he did so because his desire to be with his family outweighed his desire to pitch. In December, though, he began entertaining thoughts of playing, especially, he said, after hearing of an interview in which Cashman indicated he would welcome him back.

    However, at the time Cashman had not signed the veteran free agent Hiroki Kuroda or traded for the talented Michael Pineda. When Cashman and Pettitte talked in December about a possible return, Pettitte expressed interest but stopped short of a commitment, even though Cashman was willing to sign him to a $10 million to $12 million deal. After the Yankees acquired Kuroda and Pineda, Pettitte shut down his workouts, but unbeknownst to Cashman, only briefly.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/17/sp...h-yankees.html

    If Cashman was willing to offer him $10 to $12M last season after he had been out for a year, I find it unlikely that Pettitte is going to accept an offer of $5M to come back in 2013 unless he makes the decision VERY, VERY, VERY late in the off-season.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

  8. #883

    Re: New York Yankees 2012-2013 Offseason Outlook

    I think we should be willing to trade anyone not named Sanchez for Stanton. I'll happily take the Nolasco contract and let him be an 11 million dollar mop up man.
    Mariano Rivera was so great he was able to close a Denny's.

  9. #884
    NYYF MVP


    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Down the road

    Re: New York Yankees 2012-2013 Offseason Outlook

    Quote Originally Posted by TheInfallibleOne View Post
    I think we should be willing to trade anyone not named Sanchez for Stanton. I'll happily take the Nolasco contract and let him be an 11 million dollar mop up man.
    I'd drive Sanchez and anyone else in this farm system down to Miami in a heartbeat for Stanton.

  10. #885
    NYYF Legend

    longtimeyankeefan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

    Re: New York Yankees 2012-2013 Offseason Outlook

    Quote Originally Posted by TheInfallibleOne View Post
    I think we should be willing to trade anyone not named Sanchez for Stanton. I'll happily take the Nolasco contract and let him be an 11 million dollar mop up man.
    Funny you should say this statement, since the Marlins now view Nolasco as their #1 starter.

    Makes you wonder about the baseball knowledge in the Miami front office if they think a career mid-4 ERA starter can be your #1 in the NL.

    As for taking on Nolasco's $11.5M - no problem. His contract is up at the end of next season, so he would not impact 2014. If he does not have a career season that necessitates a qualifying offer, no draft pick would result.

    As for Stanton, yes - I am willing to pay for him, but I don't want to overpay. This team HAS to become younger and trading away the farm for just one player does not accomplish that task. We need to keep Sanchez and either Williams or Heathcott at a minimum.

    Miami needs a CFer - offer them Granderson and agree to pay 1/2 his contract to start, then add Nova and prospects to get it done.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

  11. #886
    NYYF MVP


    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Down the road

    Re: New York Yankees 2012-2013 Offseason Outlook

    Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post
    As for Stanton, yes - I am willing to pay for him, but I don't want to overpay. This team HAS to become younger and trading away the farm for just one player does not accomplish that task. We need to keep Sanchez and either Williams or Heathcott at a minimum.

    Miami needs a CFer - offer them Granderson and agree to pay 1/2 his contract to start, then add Nova and prospects to get it done.
    Sweet Jesus...you cannot be serious?

    Younger!!?! What is Stanton like 22 or 23 years old. Do people understand how good Stanton is, his bat, his glove, his youth, his years of team control. You want Stanton, it starts with names like Profar, Bundy and elite elite prospects. Not Granderson and some junk spare parts.

  12. #887

    Re: New York Yankees 2012-2013 Offseason Outlook

    Quote Originally Posted by eaganmafia View Post
    Sweet Jesus...you cannot be serious?

    Younger!!?! What is Stanton like 22 or 23 years old. Do people understand how good Stanton is, his bat, his glove, his youth, his years of team control. You want Stanton, it starts with names like Pofar, Bundy and elite elite prospects. Not Granderson and some junk spare parts.

    Im with you.
    Thank you for making me calm today, Brett Gardner

  13. #888
    NYYF Legend

    longtimeyankeefan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

    Re: New York Yankees 2012-2013 Offseason Outlook

    Quote Originally Posted by eaganmafia View Post
    Sweet Jesus...you cannot be serious?

    Younger!!?! What is Stanton like 22 or 23 years old. Do people understand how good Stanton is, his bat, his glove, his youth, his years of team control. You want Stanton, it starts with names like Profar, Bundy and elite elite prospects. Not Granderson and some junk spare parts.
    So you want to trade the Rangers and Orioles prospects to get Stanton for the Yankees?

    Seriously, I understand your point - yes, it will take some prime prospects, which frankly the Yankees do not have that are ML ready.

    Giving them Granderson at $7.5M per year would be a steal for a 40HR CFer. Nova would give them a pitcher equivalent to Nolasco, who really is not that great statistically. Essentially, the Yankees would be paying $19M for Nolasco in 2013 (his $11.5 plus the $7.5 from Granderson's contract).

    Then, you begin adding prospects - I want to keep Sanchez for the future and we clearly have other needs. But, giving four of our top 20 prospects, along with Granderson & Nova would be value for value.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

  14. #889
    NYYF MVP


    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Down the road

    Re: New York Yankees 2012-2013 Offseason Outlook

    Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post
    So you want to trade the Rangers and Orioles prospects to get Stanton for the Yankees?

    Seriously, I understand your point - yes, it will take some prime prospects, which frankly the Yankees do not have that are ML ready.

    Giving them Granderson at $7.5M per year would be a steal for a 40HR CFer. Nova would give them a pitcher equivalent to Nolasco, who really is not that great statistically. Essentially, the Yankees would be paying $19M for Nolasco in 2013 (his $11.5 plus the $7.5 from Granderson's contract).

    Then, you begin adding prospects - I want to keep Sanchez for the future and we clearly have other needs. But, giving four of our top 20 prospects, along with Granderson & Nova would be value for value.
    I really don't think you understand my point if you think some package built around Granderson (who even at half his contract, the Marlins dont wanna pay) Nova sucks is gonna be expensive in a year or two and if you don't wanna part with Sanchez you have nothing.

    This is a 23 year old 5 win player with years of team control. You're not gonna get that for spare parts.

  15. #890
    NYYF Legend

    Yankee Tripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Left coast

    Re: New York Yankees 2012-2013 Offseason Outlook

    Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post
    Funny you should say this statement, since the Marlins now view Nolasco as their #1 starter.

    Makes you wonder about the baseball knowledge in the Miami front office if they think a career mid-4 ERA starter can be your #1 in the NL.

    As for taking on Nolasco's $11.5M - no problem. His contract is up at the end of next season, so he would not impact 2014. If he does not have a career season that necessitates a qualifying offer, no draft pick would result.

    As for Stanton, yes - I am willing to pay for him, but I don't want to overpay. This team HAS to become younger and trading away the farm for just one player does not accomplish that task. We need to keep Sanchez and either Williams or Heathcott at a minimum.

    Miami needs a CFer - offer them Granderson and agree to pay 1/2 his contract to start, then add Nova and prospects to get it done.
    Nova is still cheap, eats some innings and can probably be flipped later so sure he's got value to the Marlins.

    Granderson at $8M could also easily be flipped for prospects so sure that would interest them too.

    And dumping Nolacso's salary probably has appeal to them as well.

    But you are delusional if you think Stanton can be had for prosepcts less than at least 2 of the ones you named in addition to package you propose.

    BTW if the cost for Stanton alone is "just" Williams, Heathcot, Shancez, + Nova, I'd do that today.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

  16. #891

    Re: New York Yankees 2012-2013 Offseason Outlook

    Quote Originally Posted by eaganmafia View Post
    I really don't think you understand my point if you think some package built around Granderson (who even at half his contract, the Marlins dont wanna pay) Nova sucks is gonna be expensive in a year or two and if you don't wanna part with Sanchez you have nothing.

    This is a 23 year old 5 win player with years of team control. You're not gonna get that for spare parts.
    I agree. The trade has to hurt to get back a talent like Stanton. If we can keep Sanchez and develop him into a starting catcher at the MLB level, great. But I think the bigger problem is that when blockbuster deals are available, we just dont have the prospects to make something cool happen.
    Mariano Rivera was so great he was able to close a Denny's.

  17. #892
    Brien "The Incident" just-blaze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Jax

    Re: New York Yankees 2012-2013 Offseason Outlook

    Quote Originally Posted by eaganmafia View Post
    I really don't think you understand my point if you think some package built around Granderson (who even at half his contract, the Marlins dont wanna pay) Nova sucks is gonna be expensive in a year or two and if you don't wanna part with Sanchez you have nothing.

    This is a 23 year old 5 win player with years of team control. You're not gonna get that for spare parts.
    Point taken, but I wonder how valuable team control is for a guy who once he hits arb is going to comp Ryan Howard and cost a ton of money during his team control.

    Also, Im not saying the Yankees would or could do it, but this is the same team that traded Cabrera for relatively nothing.
    Fistpumping like a champion.

  18. #893

    Re: New York Yankees 2012-2013 Offseason Outlook

    Cabrera got traded for Maybin and Andrew Miller. They haven't worked out, but both of those guys were bigger prospects at the time of their trade than any player in the Yanks' system now. I think they were both top 10 and Cabrera was already in arbitration which Stanton, I believe, has another year before he starts. I don't think they will trade Stanton this offseason and even if they did, I don't think the Yankees have the talent to make it happen. Stanton is one of the 3 or 4 most valuable players (Trout, Harper, Mccutchen, can't think of anyone else).

  19. #894

    Re: New York Yankees 2012-2013 Offseason Outlook

    loria doesn't want to shoulder the political cost of 'helping' the yankees.

    he'll look worse and may even provoke a national campaign against him if he trades stanton to the yankees. nolasco is less of a spotlight magnet but i dunno.
    always reasonable

  20. #895
    dont mess with the jesus dont_ya_know24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    NJ

    Re: New York Yankees 2012-2013 Offseason Outlook

    Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post
    Pettitte had a low base last year because he decided to come back after being a spring training instructor. The following is from a NY Times article on his signing last year:



    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/17/sp...h-yankees.html

    If Cashman was willing to offer him $10 to $12M last season after he had been out for a year, I find it unlikely that Pettitte is going to accept an offer of $5M to come back in 2013 unless he makes the decision VERY, VERY, VERY late in the off-season.
    i dont know why this is so unbelievable. he made 12 starts last year. zero the year before and 21 the year before that.

    sure, he's andy pettitte, but the man does not deserve 10 million dollars.
    I really thought I played great defense when the ball wasn't hit at me, Alex Rodriguez said.

  21. #896

    Re: New York Yankees 2012-2013 Offseason Outlook

    Quote Originally Posted by awy View Post
    loria doesn't want to shoulder the political cost of 'helping' the yankees.

    he'll look worse and may even provoke a national campaign against him if he trades stanton to the yankees. nolasco is less of a spotlight magnet but i dunno.
    Depends who we give up...they did help Boston a few years back but obviously Boston gave them someone special in return.

    Plus, how much worse could things get for him? Nobody fills that park anyway...the media already trash him...his team loses more games than they win pretty much every season.
    "Owning the Yankees," Steinbrenner once said, "is like owning the Mona Lisa." [SIZE=1] [/SIZE]

  22. #897
    Re2pect Hitman23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Long Island

    Re: New York Yankees 2012-2013 Offseason Outlook

    Quote Originally Posted by eaganmafia View Post
    Sweet Jesus...you cannot be serious?

    Younger!!?! What is Stanton like 22 or 23 years old. Do people understand how good Stanton is, his bat, his glove, his youth, his years of team control. You want Stanton, it starts with names like Profar, Bundy and elite elite prospects. Not Granderson and some junk spare parts.
    I want to copy and paste this post everytime I see fantasy trade proposals and just switch out Stanton for player whatever. Well said.
    You're a stranger til she whispers you can stay.
    You're a stranger til she whispers that your journey's over.


    NYYFans Fantasy Baseball:
    CBS: Evil Empire
    Yahoo: Special OPS

  23. #898
    NYYF MVP


    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Down the road

    Re: New York Yankees 2012-2013 Offseason Outlook

    Quote Originally Posted by just-blaze View Post
    Point taken, but I wonder how valuable team control is for a guy who once he hits arb is going to comp Ryan Howard and cost a ton of money during his team control.

    Also, Im not saying the Yankees would or could do it, but this is the same team that traded Cabrera for relatively nothing.
    No doubt he's gonna get paid, but whatever Stanton will make in arb for the next couple seasons pails in comparison to what an equally talented player costs on the open market.

  24. #899
    Better than you teknetic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    NJ

    Re: New York Yankees 2012-2013 Offseason Outlook

    Quote Originally Posted by Brien Jackson View Post
    I really don't understand why no one has been called to account for the Yankees' apparent total lack of serious interest in Cespedes and Aroldis Chapman.
    Forgot Chapman. His floor was a reliever who struck out a ton and walked a bit too many (pre-2012 DRob). Annoying.

  25. #900

    Re: New York Yankees 2012-2013 Offseason Outlook

    I think there were legitimate reasons to avoid Cespedes. He's exceeded most expectations so it's hard to fault the team for not predicting that. Couldn't hazard a guess as to why they weren't more interested in CHapman. Darvish is the real bothersome one, though, for me. He would solve a lot of problems if he were under contract for another 5 years at an AAV of 9 million for the team. What's annoying is that his performance thus far seems like it was the most common expectation and the Yankees scouted him for years. The posting system favors the Yankees so either it was a scouting failure or, more worrisome, a short sighted front office/business decision.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts