+ Reply to Thread
Page 35 of 210 FirstFirst ... 25 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 45 85 135 ... LastLast

Re: New York Yankees 2012-2013 Offseason Outlook

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmers' Helmet View Post
    The Yankees made the correct move in not giving Hunter 2 years.
    He may pay dividends in 2013, but the odds are against him sustaining his current skill set in 2014 at age 39.
    I thought he was 36 ?
    What we can appreciate now is that the Yankees from 1996-2003 were even more extraordinary than we thought.

Richmond Virginians

Interesting what the Detroit press is saying about Hunter's signing.

"The Tigers needed more than simply an upgrade at the No. 2 spot in the lineup. They needed impact. Hunter doesn’t bring that. Not at 37 years of age -- and certainly not at the price tag of $13 million for each of the next two years. This was a Yankees-like decision. Worry about today and to hell with tomorrow. Just throw money at the problem. It lacks foresight"

with the core of their team all about to start declining and with the frightening back end up that Fielder deal still to come, I don't think it's necessary a bad thing to forget about the future for a few years. Sacrificing the future for the sake of the present isn't always a bad decision.

Quote Originally Posted by TheHugeUnit2 View Post
    I'd like to buy low on Logan Morrison. Bring Ichiro back. Have a mix of Gardner, Granderson, Ichrio, and Morrison in the OF.
    lefty Hefty
    “Everything looks nicer when you win. The girls are prettier, the cigars taste better. The trees are greener.”—Billy Martin

Quote Originally Posted by BennyTheJetRodriguez View Post
    This complaint isnt specific to you, but I really don't get Yankee fans when it comes to Hughes. It seems that the people who always complain about how the Yankees never develop or pursue young, decent, cheap players with potential don't like Hughes for some reason. He gets the high priced free agent treatment, but he's 26, has an all star appearance under his belt, and when healthy has been league average at worst at very young ages. It's almost like Yankee fans base their opinions solely on pre-Yankee hype.
    i feel ya, my complaint about him is one minute he looks like an all star number one and the next outing, can't even make it out of the fourth inning.

Quote Originally Posted by coachtsurfing View Post
    i feel ya, my complaint about him is one minute he looks like an all star number one and the next outing, can't even make it out of the fourth inning.
    In fairness to Hughes, he has made it through the 4th in his last 28 regular season games. In that 28 game stretch, he only had 4 games where he didn't get through the 5th ... and 14 where he pitched into the 7th or farther.

Perhaps because of his 2011 and slow start to 2012, we tend to disproportionately remember his failures.
    “Everything looks nicer when you win. The girls are prettier, the cigars taste better. The trees are greener.”—Billy Martin

dont mess with the jesus dont_ya_know24's Avatar

dream offseason:
    Trade for Stanton and Nolasco 12 mil
    Sign Napoli 10 mil
    Sign Haren 10 mil
    Sign Pettitte 5 mil
    Sign Rivera 5 mil
    Sign Soria 2+ mil

We shed around 20 million in payroll, not taking into account incentives or arbitration raises.

i'll put up with a year of nolasco if it means getting stanton for the long-run.
    “I really thought I played great defense when the ball wasn't hit at me,” Alex Rodriguez said.

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Quote Originally Posted by dont_ya_know24 View Post
    dream offseason:
    Sign Napoli 10 mil
    Sign Haren 10 mil
    Sign Pettitte 5 mil
    Sign Rivera 5 mil
    Sign Soria 2+ mil

We shed around 20 million in payroll, not taking into account incentives or arbitration raises.

i'll put up with a year of nolasco if it means getting stanton for the long-run.
    Pettitte and Rivera are both going to get more than $5M each.

My guess is that Rivera gets $10M plus incentives to get him upwards of about $13M.

Pettitte probably gets $8M with incentives to get him to $11M.

As for Stanton & Nolasco, what are you expecting to give up? If the Miami Firesalers put Stanton on the market, there are 29 major league teams who will be talking with them. Since Miami has no more long-term, large contracts to force a team to take to get Stanton, Loria will be expecting something of real value back in the trade.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

Gary Sanchez
    Slade Heathcott or Mason Williams
    Tyler Austin
    David Phelps

for

Nolasco
    Stanton

dont mess with the jesus dont_ya_know24's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post
    Pettitte and Rivera are both going to get more than $5M each.

My guess is that Rivera gets $10M plus incentives to get him upwards of about $13M.

Pettitte probably gets $8M with incentives to get him to $11M.

As for Stanton & Nolasco, what are you expecting to give up? If the Miami Firesalers put Stanton on the market, there are 29 major league teams who will be talking with them. Since Miami has no more long-term, large contracts to force a team to take to get Stanton, Loria will be expecting something of real value back in the trade.
    again i didn't include incentives. pettitte had a base of 2.5 last year with incentives. i don't think he's expecting a lot, he wants to pitch.
    rivera is rivera, but he was out all year since may, coming off major surgery, in his 40s. a base of 5 mil shouldn't insult him. with those circumstances, that's what he's worth (again not including incentives) it's in his power to realize the incentive salary.

yeah, they gotta give up some to land someone like stanton. it would probably start with mason williams, sanchez, and then some.
    “I really thought I played great defense when the ball wasn't hit at me,” Alex Rodriguez said.

Quote Originally Posted by b_joseph View Post
    Who has been available that would have made sense? Pitching wise we have been more than ok...offensively, the guys who have been on market havent been open spots for us.
    I'm not talking about trades. I'm talking about not even making an effort for guys like Darvish/Cespedes/etc.

I'm pretty sure if we offered our entire farm for Stanton, someone would top it.

Brien "The Incident" just-blaze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by grizy View Post
    I'm pretty sure if we offered our entire farm for Stanton, someone would top it.
    Someone would be able to top it. Better question would be would they.

And, I would be against trading the farm for Stanton.
    Fistpumping like a champion.

Brien "The Incident" just-blaze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dont_ya_know24 View Post
    dream offseason:
    Sign Napoli 10 mil
    Sign Haren 10 mil
    Sign Pettitte 5 mil
    Sign Rivera 5 mil
    Sign Soria 2+ mil

I know you said dream, but do you think there is a legitimate chance that even one of those could happen?

Actually, I guess Haren has a legit chance of getting a 1 yr deal at that price.
    Fistpumping like a champion.

From Newsday on our OF:

They remain very interested in Scott Hairston, whom they've had plenty of internal discussion about.
    http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseba...nter-1.4223878

I've shilled him before but I like Hairston as an alternative. Has power, hit LHP really well and played all 3 spots for the Mets last year. Could be a platoon RF/DH type and will come cheap. Article also reiterates the Yanks interest in Nolasco.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ElDandy View Post
    From Newsday on our OF:

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseba...nter-1.4223878

I've shilled him before but I like Hairston as an alternative. Has power, hit LHP really well and played all 3 spots for the Mets last year. Could be a platoon RF/DH type and will come cheap. Article also reiterates the Yanks interest in Nolasco.
    Only want Nolasco if it means Stanton will come along.

The gerbil lives Zimmers' Helmet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
    Only want Nolasco if it means Stanton will come along.
    Nolasco makes Phil Hughes look like Tom Seaver lol.

Seriously, I want no part of him and don't understand why the Yankees would either.

Unfortunately, Stanton is the one asset they don't want to part with.
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

FO's top priority right now is Kuroda/Rivera...and rightfully so. They should just give Kuroda a signed blank check and tell him to fill out the number he is most comfortable with for coming back.
    Thank you for making me calm today, Brett Gardner

It's About the Money

Quote Originally Posted by teknetic View Post
    I'm not talking about trades. I'm talking about not even making an effort for guys like Darvish/Cespedes/etc.
    I really don't understand why no one has been called to account for the Yankees' apparent total lack of serious interest in Cespedes and Aroldis Chapman.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Brien Jackson View Post
    I really don't understand why no one has been called to account for the Yankees' apparent total lack of serious interest in Cespedes and Aroldis Chapman.
    Suggest you to visit minor league forum.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmers' Helmet View Post
    Nolasco makes Phil Hughes look like Tom Seaver lol.

Seriously, I want no part of him and don't understand why the Yankees would either.

Unfortunately, Stanton is the one asset they don't want to part with.
    I think that Cashman may propose a trade for Nolasco AND Stanton. That's the only reason I can think of the Yankees interest to Nolasco.

NYYF Triple Crown

Two beautiful rural acres in Windham, Maine

Nolasco may have some value to this team. It gives them some flexibility to dump Nova in a trade. Their numbers are pretty comparable, so Ricky would just slide right in where Nova was, and perhaps Nova helps us land another piece, like an outfielder.
    Yankee fan living in Maine.

Pipe dream

Kuroda
    Pettitte
    Rivera
    Martin
    Stanton

oh wait, Stanton is the only pipedream part of this
    Thank you for making me calm today, Brett Gardner

Quote Originally Posted by Brien Jackson View Post

It happens all the time and happened non-stop when those guys signed.

My guess on Nolasco is they have interest as the #5 guy and as protection in the event that we lose Kuroda or Petitte doesn't come back. Would be hard to complain about some combination of CC, Kuroda, Petitte, Hughes, Nova/Nolasco. That and they could probably get back something they need by swiping his contract in the deal.

NYYF Legend

apparently the angels are in on kuroda now

the more teams get involved, the more likely i think it is that he leaves
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

Thread Information