+ Reply to Thread
Page 33 of 210 FirstFirst ... 23 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 43 83 133 ... LastLast
    Addicted Member

Re: New York Yankees 2012-2013 Offseason Outlook

Quote Originally Posted by yankeesrule2000 View Post
    Mike Napoli is interesting, but can he catch 130 games?
    No. I thought the same. But I like to see more Steward and Cervelli. Maybe later Romine. I like it.

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    Yep, I posed this suggestion earlier in the offseason. Retain Martin and sign Napoli.

'11 was almost certainly an outlier for Napoli, but if he's a 125 OPS+ bat, he does a few things:
    • Provides RH power and OBP at DH and when subbing at C or 1B
    • Eliminates need to carry a Stewart/Cervelli type BUC
    • Allows A-Rod and Jeter to take FULL days off (their bats are no longer so potent that you can't give them breathers, and actually a potentially better bat helps make up for some lost offense via their subs)
    • Allows Girardi to rest Martin more frequently
    • Replaces the emergency 1B function that Swisher provided

DUMP MARTIN!!! We are not going to win with this guy in our lineup.

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

I don't see how Napoli is an improvement from Martin - pull his 2011 season from his career numbers and Napoli's 2012 season is still below his adjusted career numbers.

Napoli has NEVER caught 100 games in a season and his highest GS as a catcher in any season is 84. He simply is not an every day catcher and would certainly be a downgrade defensively from Martin.

If we are going to spend decent money on a catcher, I would rather Martin than Napoli - personally, because I always like to see a youth movement, I would like to see the Yankees go with Romine and a veteran like Martin.

If Martin gets a three year offer elsewhere, I can't see the Yankees re-signing him however.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

They'd better resign Martin.
    Thank you for making me calm today, Brett Gardner

NYYF Legend

with romine and sanchez coming through the pipeline, i highly doubt they're doing anything more than just due diligence on napoli and possibly touching base in the event that martin walks

if the're really working on a budget, their resources would be better used elsewhere
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by snapple View Post
    They'd better resign Martin.
    At what price?

Quote Originally Posted by bucky View Post
    No. I thought the same. But I like to see more Steward and Cervelli. Maybe later Romine. I like it.
    Why more Cervelli?
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

NYYF Cy Young

If they are out of the running for Hunter because of the 2014 cap, they will probably end up out of the running for Martin too - and maybe anyone who wants more than a one year contract, it seems. That does not bode well for this year - or next year unless any of the minor leaguers really speed up their progress and Pineda recovers really well!

Quote Originally Posted by ZIM 2002 View Post
    If they are out of the running for Hunter because of the 2014 cap, they will probably end up out of the running for Martin too - and maybe anyone who wants more than a one year contract, it seems. That does not bode well for this year - or next year unless any of the minor leaguers really speed up their progress and Pineda recovers really well!
    What I didn't understand is that the Yankees have to get to $170mm in payroll...not $189mm...in 2014...because about $170mm equates to $189mm after benefits and things are calculated.

They have $72mm committed to Texiera, Sabathia and A-Rod already for 2014, so they have $98mm to fill out the rest of their roster that year...and that doesn't include the team option for Jeter, which continues to get more expensive given his performance.

So...I really don't see how they can shop for any significant free agents for the forseeable future and do anything past a one year deal.

i still say they will try hard find a way to get some relief on ARod...

The gerbil lives Zimmers' Helmet's Avatar

This may be a dumb question but hypothetically speaking, if the Yankees were to sit down with A-Rod and restructure his contract so his 2014 salary is lowered, with the difference transferred to deferred payments (with interest), would this still count as part of the 2014 payroll?
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmers' Helmet View Post
    This may be a dumb question but hypothetically speaking, if the Yankees were to sit down with A-Rod and restructure his contract so his 2014 salary is lowered, with the difference transferred to deferred payments (with interest), would this still count as part of the 2014 payroll?
    It's AAV. They'd have to add years at like, 1m/year to really make an impact.

It's AAV. They'd have to add years at like, 1m/year to really make an impact.
    Thanks for clarifying - much appreciated.

So, as ridiculous as this sounds, does it make sense to give A-Rod and Tex one year extensions at $1 million just to lower the AAV, and therefore help the Yankees get below $189 million for 2014?

So, as ridiculous as this sounds, does it make sense to give A-Rod and Tex one year extensions at $1 million just to lower the AAV, and therefore help the Yankees get below $189 million for 2014?
    It would make sense. But I doubt the MLBPU or Selig would let it happen.

NYYF Legend

We had this exact discussion last year. I think Joel Sherman even covered it in an article. The consensus was that Selig would squash it.

Trade idea that just popped into my head:

I see the Astros are listening on offers for Jed Lowrie (not wanting to move him, however). As a primary SS and with 83 games at 3B in his career, wouldn't he be perfect as the supersub who could back up all 3 infield spots? Solid defense, solid power, can use the bat well.

How close would we be to getting a deal done with a Nunez for Lowrie swap?

It would make sense. But I doubt the MLBPU or Selig would let it happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    We had this exact discussion last year. I think Joel Sherman even covered it in an article. The consensus was that Selig would squash it.
    What grounds would Selig and MLBPA have to block it? Selig has best interest of baseball, but that's a stretch.

If they can let the Red Sox wait out a cutoff date when they signed Gonzalez to that megadeal so they wouldn't have to pay tax, why can't we extend our players for a year at 1 mm if they are willing?

I think it brings the AAV method into question. I always thought they should use actual dollar figures. That would allow for a lot more salary / tax planning.
    Mariano Rivera was so great he was able to close a Denny's.

Quote Originally Posted by TheInfallibleOne View Post
    What grounds would Selig and MLBPA have to block it? Selig has best interest of baseball, but that's a stretch.

If they can let the Red Sox wait out a cutoff date when they signed Gonzalez to that megadeal so they wouldn't have to pay tax, why can't we extend our players for a year at 1 mm if they are willing?

I think it brings the AAV method into question. I always thought they should use actual dollar figures. That would allow for a lot more salary / tax planning.
    If Boston didn't submit the contract paperwork to MLB for its evaluation and approval until after the cutoff date then there is little MLB can do.
    Poor ownership can hold a baseball team down for years!

This is a very valid point, although it's clear that Selig has demonstrated a willingness to bend the rules for teams that directly compete with the Yankees.

I understand Martin's defensive value and the likelihood that last year's offensive performance was largely a fluke, but I doubt most other teams recognize it. I'd be really surprised if Martin got three years somewhere.

I like the idea of Napoli rotating in with Martin, but I think the cost will be too steep. I would also have been in favor of Ryan Doumit in a similar role.

Quote Originally Posted by jcarey View Post
    I understand Martin's defensive value and the likelihood that last year's offensive performance was largely a fluke, but I doubt most other teams recognize it. I'd be really surprised if Martin got three years somewhere.

I like the idea of Napoli rotating in with Martin, but I think the cost will be too steep. I would also have been in favor of Ryan Doumit in a similar role.
    Napoli and Martin? Why stop there? Maybe Joe Mauer can back them both up.
    Mariano Rivera was so great he was able to close a Denny's.

What if the Yankees restructured ARod's contract and added 2 years and 12M by guaranteeing the incentives to pass Mays and Ruth on the HR list? It would become 126M over 7 years.

He's likely to pass both on the list anyway, and his AAV would drop to 18M.

I doubt the MLBPU would allow Selig to squash a deal that adds 12M of guaranteed money.
    “Everything looks nicer when you win. The girls are prettier, the cigars taste better. The trees are greener.”—Billy Martin

Brien "The Incident" just-blaze's Avatar

Napoli and Martin? Why stop there? Maybe Joe Mauer can back them both up.
    Mauer isn't a FA.
    Fistpumping like a champion.

Quote Originally Posted by Gusto View Post
    What if the Yankees restructured ARod's contract and added 2 years and 12M by guaranteeing the incentives to pass Mays and Ruth on the HR list? It would become 126M over 7 years.

He's likely to pass both on the list anyway, and his AAV would drop to 18M.

I doubt the MLBPU would allow Selig to squash a deal that adds 12M of guaranteed money.
    I don't think you can mess around with the AAV to avoid the penalites. It would sort of defeat the point.

I am slightly surprised that the Yankees didn't offer Martin the $13.3 qualifying offer for one year. It wouldn't have touched 2014 if he had accepted it.

dont mess with the jesus dont_ya_know24's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeFan1421 View Post
    I don't think you can mess around with the AAV to avoid the penalites. It would sort of defeat the point.

I am slightly surprised that the Yankees didn't offer Martin the $13.3 qualifying offer for one year. It wouldn't have touched 2014 if he had accepted it.
    he would have taken it, because he won't get 13.3 on the market, yankees would just be throwing more money at him unnecessarily.
    “I really thought I played great defense when the ball wasn't hit at me,” Alex Rodriguez said.

Quote Originally Posted by dont_ya_know24 View Post
    he would have taken it, because he won't get 13.3 on the market, yankees would just be throwing more money at him unnecessarily.
    I see your point for sure, and obviosly the Yankees agreed, but he's going to get $21mm to $25mm or something over 3 years. the Yankees can't do that I don't think and yet they could have done $13 for 1.

Thread Information