+ Reply to Thread
Page 32 of 210 FirstFirst ... 22 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 42 82 132 ... LastLast
    NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Re: New York Yankees 2012-2013 Offseason Outlook

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    I would imagine that the winner of just about every series is the team that shuts down the other team's offense.
    Stop stating the blatantly obvious - it only confuses the argument.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Quote Originally Posted by grizy View Post
    9,3,4,10,2 runs scored in the five games =/= getting shut down.
    3, 5, 5, 1, 3 runs given up in the five games = lost series.

We got shut down in the games that mattered - games 2, 3 & 5 when we lost low scoring games.

We blew out the Tigers in our two wins and lost the close games.

The Yankees outscored the Tigers 28 - 17 in the series, yet lost the series. They padded their run stats in two games, then were unable to produce in those close games when those extra runs from games 1 & 4 were really needed.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    I'm more into the belief that some of the players should be fired instead as there is only so much coaches can do for the player that fails to execute.
    Really? I thought you stated, even before the ALCS debacle, that you would be willing to move on not only from Girardi, but also from Cashman, if the post-season was a train wreck.

Anyway, you aren't really of the belief that Arod, Cano, or Grandrson should be released. (We all know that Swisher does not need to be fired.)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    I would imagine that the winner of just about every series is the team that shuts down the other team's offense.
    The Giants had an OPS of .683 in their 4 game sweep of the Tigers.

A better way of describing the Yanks postseason offensive woes is to say they were constantly and consistently shut down in key situations. IMO, one of the primary reasons for that is the type of hitters in the lineup, 3 outcome hitters. Plus, Cano sleep-walked through his AB's in the series.
    "It is almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is playing golf." -Robert Wilson Lynd

Quote Originally Posted by rajah View Post
    Really? I thought you stated, even before the ALCS debacle, that you would be willing to move on not only from Girardi, but also from Cashman, if the post-season was a train wreck.

Anyway, you aren't really of the belief that Arod, Cano, or Grandrson should be released. (We all know that Swisher does not need to be fired.)
    They got swept in the ALCS, but they did win a playoff series which to me makes this post season not a train wreck. Actually, Swisher has been fired as they evidently don't want him back. As to Granderson and Cano, I think both will be gone in the next 13 months.
    Fire Cashman, but Hal Steinbrenner is the root of Yankee woes.

a 5 ERA pitcher is considered horrible by any standard so probably fair to say pitchers had bad days in 2 of those games.

losing games while scoring and giving up runs in the 3~6 range is basically the definition of bad luck on baseball. We had chances in all 3, failed in all 3. That has a lot to do with luck.

If Soriano had a good day.

If CC had a good day.

If Freddy had a good day.

All of that could have put us over the top, just like a couple of "timely" hits from the hitters.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    They got swept in the ALCS, but they did win a playoff series which to me makes this post season not a train wreck. Actually, Swisher has been fired as they evidently don't want him back. As to Granderson and Cano, I think both will be gone in the next 13 months.
    1) IMO, the Yankee offense was embarassing in this post-season. I consider that a train wreck, regardless of how the pitching saved the ALDS. You have a right to a different opinion.

2) As I said, we all know Swisher does not need to be fired. He just does not have to be given the multiyear, huge contract some other team will give him. I doubt Cashman would have regretted making the qualifying offer for 2013 had Swisher accepted it.

3) The Yankees picked up options on both Granderson and Cano for 2013. Do you think that was a mistake? Should they have been "fired?" Sould Alex be released?

I know as a Yankee fan that I have to move on from the disappointing post-season. I know that Girardi, and even Long, are coming back. It seems this is in part a function of Cashman's regard for them and Hal's regard for Cashman. It may also partly derive from an understanding that the next two years do not look promising right now, not a good time to start with a new regime. But I will always believe that Girardi failed to provide necessary leadership in October, 2012. You again can have your own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by rajah View Post
    1) IMO, the Yankee offense was embarassing in this post-season. I consider that a train wreck, regardless of how the pitching saved the ALDS. You have a right to a different opinion.

2) As I said, we all know Swisher does not need to be fired. He just does not have to be given the multiyear, huge contract some other team will give him. I doubt Cashman would have regretted making the qualifying offer for 2013 had Swisher accepted it.

3) The Yankees picked up options on both Granderson and Cano for 2013. Do you think that was a mistake? Should they have been "fired?" Sould Alex be released?

I know as a Yankee fan that I have to move on from the disappointing post-season. I know that Girardi, and even Long, are coming back. It seems this is in part a function of Cashman's regard for them and Hal's regard for Cashman. It may also partly derive from an understanding that the next two years do not look promising right now, not a good time to start with a new regime. But I will always believe that Girardi failed to provide necessary leadership in October, 2012. You again can have your own opinion.
    I can respect and accept that opinion even if I don't agree with it this moment. Furthermore, I wouldn't have a problem if last month, Steinbrenner decided to can the whole lot of them from Cashman on down. However, if he did, I hope he took a long look in mirror to see if he did everything possible to help his baseball operation.
    Fire Cashman, but Hal Steinbrenner is the root of Yankee woes.

We better get Kuroda back. Dude is legit as balls.
    Thank you for making me calm today, Brett Gardner

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Nightengale
    Mike Napoli, the Texas #Rangers free-agent catcher, is drawing interest from the New York #Yankees
    https://twitter.com/BNightengale/sta...89878837854209

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by snapple View Post
    We better get Kuroda back. Dude is legit as balls.

Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/#G9jvAZQF6sSxkHqy.99
    [SIZE=3]"Scooter - RIP and thank you for being part of my childhood"[/SIZE]

NYYF Triple Crown

Two beautiful rural acres in Windham, Maine

Quote Originally Posted by BeantownYankee View Post

Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/#G9jvAZQF6sSxkHqy.99
    Yeah, I read that article too, and suddenly am feeling a little uneasy about the potential makeup of our rotation.
    Yankee fan living in Maine.

THey have no room in LA for Kuroda.
    Thank you for making me calm today, Brett Gardner

Mike Napoli is interesting, but can he catch 130 games?
    Rich

Quote Originally Posted by apalradio View Post
    Yeah, I read that article too, and suddenly am feeling a little uneasy about the potential makeup of our rotation.
    If thats what happens, then we can't change it man. Let's hope Pettitte comes back and has some magic left. CC, Pettitte, Hughes(Who I think has a really good contract year), Phelps, and Nova isn't too bad. We still have room to work too. Maybe we can lure Dan Haren here too.

Quote Originally Posted by yankeesrule2000 View Post
    I doubt he'd be the primary catcher. More like a RH DH/bench bat, backup 1B and catch 50-60 games. That would give him 110+ starts.
    “Everything looks nicer when you win. The girls are prettier, the cigars taste better. The trees are greener.”—Billy Martin

Definitely not. I think he could catch 70-80 games and spend the rest of them between DH and 1B though.

Quote Originally Posted by Gusto View Post
    I doubt he'd be the primary catcher. More like a RH DH/bench bat, backup 1B and catch 50-60 games. That would give him 110+ starts.
    Yep, I posed this suggestion earlier in the offseason. Retain Martin and sign Napoli.

'11 was almost certainly an outlier for Napoli, but if he's a 125 OPS+ bat, he does a few things:
    • Provides RH power and OBP at DH and when subbing at C or 1B
    • Eliminates need to carry a Stewart/Cervelli type BUC
    • Allows A-Rod and Jeter to take FULL days off (their bats are no longer so potent that you can't give them breathers, and actually a potentially better bat helps make up for some lost offense via their subs)
    • Allows Girardi to rest Martin more frequently
    • Replaces the emergency 1B function that Swisher provided

The gerbil lives Zimmers' Helmet's Avatar

The Napoli rumours can't be anything more than a negotiating tactic against Martin.

Knowing how much Girardi and Cashman covet defensive skills in a catcher, I call BS.
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmers' Helmet View Post
    The Napoli rumours can't be anything more than a negotiating tactic against Martin.

Knowing how much Girardi and Cashman covet defensive skills in a catcher, I call BS.
    I agree that I doubt they'd get Napoli to be the primary C. But while I know they rightly value defense from C, they were also both around for some pretty amazing seasons where the Yankees had some lousy defense at C. Seemed to work out fine, given the payback on O.

The more I think about it, the more I like BOTH Matin and Napoli if they're open to short term deals.

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    I agree that I doubt they'd get Napoli to be the primary C. But while I know they rightly value defense from C, they were also both around for some pretty amazing seasons where the Yankees had some lousy defense at C. Seemed to work out fine, given the payback on O.

The more I think about it, the more I like BOTH Matin and Napoli if they're open to short term deals.
    I'd love it if they brought Martin back and nabbed Napoli but something tells me some team will offer Martin a multiyear deal basically above what the Yankees will give him even if it's less annually (I could see a team like the Red Sox or Rangers going 3-4 years). I think the only way he comes back is a substantial overpay over the short term which is of course possible.

Napoli is probably the back up option if Martin goes elsewhere. You can have Napoli rotate at catcher with Austin Romine if he's healthy and then use Napoli as a DH on the days he's not catching. It not a horrible back up plan at least compared to the alternative---Whiteside/Cervilli platoon at backstop or paying actual money for Miguel friggin Olivo.

Quote Originally Posted by ElDandy View Post
    I'd love it if they brought Martin back and nabbed Napoli but something tells me some team will offer Martin a multiyear deal basically above what the Yankees will give him even if it's less annually (I could see a team like the Red Sox or Rangers going 3-4 years). I think the only way he comes back is a substantial overpay over the short term which is of course possible.

Napoli is probably the back up option if Martin goes elsewhere. You can have Napoli rotate at catcher with Austin Romine if he's healthy and then use Napoli as a DH on the days he's not catching. It not a horrible back up plan at least compared to the alternative---Whiteside/Cervilli platoon at backstop or paying actual money for Miguel friggin Olivo.
    I would think the Red Sox would be all over Martin and go past a point the Yankees can't with 2014 coming.

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeFan1421 View Post
    I would think the Red Sox would be all over Martin and go past a point the Yankees can't with 2014 coming.
    I could be wrong, but I don't see that at all. Why would the Sox, given their current state of affairs, go all in on Martin?

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    I could be wrong, but I don't see that at all. Why would the Sox, given their current state of affairs, go all in on Martin?
    I don't think it would require an all in though, just more years than the Yankees would be willing to go. I also don't think the Red Sox are our top comp for Martin but the Rangers. I could see the Rangers going maybe 3 for 21. I don't know if the Yankees would be willing to match the years on the deal.

Quote Originally Posted by ElDandy View Post
    I don't think it would require an all in though, just more years than the Yankees would be willing to go. I also don't think the Red Sox are our top comp for Martin but the Rangers. I could see the Rangers going maybe 3 for 21. I don't know if the Yankees would be willing to match the years on the deal.
    Yeah, I see the Sox go 3 for 24 even, given their flexibility. They need to strengthen their defense behind the plate (salty is not going to help there and Lavanway is prob not ready to deal with Lester, Lackey and Bucholhz. Martin figures to be an excellent fit at Fenway.

Thread Information