+ Reply to Thread
Page 29 of 210 FirstFirst ... 19 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 39 79 129 ... LastLast
    NYYF Legend

Re: New York Yankees 2012-2013 Offseason Outlook

boston, along with other clubs, have reached out to kuroda, according to the NY beat writers... some speculating that he's open to other clubs and that it's not just a 2 horse race b/w NY and Japan
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by flymick24 View Post
    boston, along with other clubs, have reached out to kuroda, according to the NY beat writers... some speculating that he's open to other clubs and that it's not just a 2 horse race b/w NY and Japan
    I still think he takes the qualifying offer tomorrow but we shall see, we shall see.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

If Kuroda wants to get $15-16 million next season, this is an excellent tactic. He knows that the Yankees' Plan B for his leaving is a fairly dramatic downgrade. It would suck mightily to see him go, but Hal's apparent obsession with bringing down payroll means that all bets are off.

Hal may not know his team history very well. Before his dad bought the Yankees, CBS did little to invest in the team, and they consequently lost tons of fans, revenue, and prestige. Cutting spending on the on-field product isn't the right way to pay down their stadium debt.
    SI: Do you have a secret ambition?
    Igawa: That's secret.

"They should just practice during the regular season and show up for the playoffs -Ichiro on the Yankees

Quote Originally Posted by Mark19 View Post
    If Kuroda wants to get $15-16 million next season, this is an excellent tactic. He knows that the Yankees' Plan B for his leaving is a fairly dramatic downgrade. It would suck mightily to see him go, but Hal's apparent obsession with bringing down payroll means that all bets are off.

Hal may not know his team history very well. Before his dad bought the Yankees, CBS did little to invest in the team, and they consequently lost tons of fans, revenue, and prestige. Cutting spending on the on-field product isn't the right way to pay down their stadium debt.
    Yeah but daddy did not have to deal with a quasi hard cap.

I don't think he'll try and squeeze out the last $$$ in any deal. I think the teams position will come into play. He's got probably one year left in MLB- will he want to take a chance on the sawx contending next year?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdvM0IB5Sbs

MICRO PASSIVE/MICRO AGGRESSIVE

Is it true that the Yankees signed Herbert J. Whiteside?
    "Owning the Yankees is like owning the Mona Lisa." -- George M. Steinbrenner III

NYYF Legend

in response to an LA beat writer asking him if he had limited his choices to NY and japan, kuroda responded, "i never said anything like that."

he also said he remains, "open to anything."

https://twitter.com/dylanohernandez/...20601807388672

the yankees are effed.
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

The gerbil lives Zimmers' Helmet's Avatar

in response to an LA beat writer asking him if he had limited his choices to NY and japan, kuroda responded, "i never said anything like that."

the yankees are effed.
    I've said it all along - Kuroda will be rejoining the Dodgers.
    He never wanted to leave LA in the first place, and now with new ownership in place, flush with cash, they've targeted Kuroda as a pitcher they want to bring back.

My guess is he refuses the $13.3 million the Yankees have on the table, and goes back to LA for 1 year at $16 million.
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

I'm continually amazed when I hear fans complain about cutting payroll to "only" $189 million for 2014.

This has nothing at all to do with the stadium debt, and everything to do with avoiding a $40 million tax in 2014. In 2015, the clock resets and they can surpass the magical $189 million threshold without paying such a lofty tax. That's $40 million that can help re-sign Cano.

Comparing this to the CBS ownership group is ridiculous.

If Kuroda leaves....cant wait to see how the team plans on filling his rotation spot. CC, Pettitte, Hughes, Phelps, Warren? That should be fun.

Quote Originally Posted by dabomb2045 View Post
    If Kuroda leaves....cant wait to see how the team plans on filling his rotation spot. CC, Pettitte, Hughes, Phelps, Warren? That should be fun.
    i think you mean Nova instead of Warren

Quote Originally Posted by nnysiny View Post
    i think you mean Nova instead of Warren
    Either way...not a good rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmers' Helmet View Post
    I'm continually amazed when I hear fans complain about cutting payroll to "only" $189 million for 2014.

This has nothing at all to do with the stadium debt, and everything to do with avoiding a $40 million tax in 2014. In 2015, the clock resets and they can surpass the magical $189 million threshold without paying such a lofty tax. That's $40 million that can help re-sign Cano.

Which would be a mistake long-term wise.
    Okay Hal and Brian, I might be a sucker, but you got 3 more years to fix it!

Either way...not a good rotation.
    Maybe????

The money budgeted for Kuroda would probably go towards a different pitcher, I assume. They'd probably be all in for Haren on what they were willing to pay Kuroda (1-2 years at close to 15 mil annually), give or take a few million.

Right, that's 40M plus resetting the tax rate in 2015 and beyond which will save millions more.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    Which would be a mistake long-term wise.
    Depends on the length of the contract - if it's 7 years or less, it's not a bad investment.
    Anything above 7 years will likely become an albatross towards the end.

the yankees are effed.
    I don't think the Yankees are effed at all.
    I also don't think Kuroda could put together another season like he just had in 2012 at his age.
    Certainly not in the AL East anyway.
    “Begin each day as if it were on purpose........”—Alex Hitchens

I don't think people are complaining about the budget, they are complaining about the priorities that seem to be emerging during this austerity period. The Yankees are stuck with a lot of bad contracts, and I don't think Cashman is a bad general manager, but I will be quite disappointed if the organization draws a hard line on players who could help us in the short-term.

Including estimates for their 6 arbitration-eligible players, the Yankees 2013 payroll commitment stands at approximately $150-155 million.

When you have $35-40 million to play with, there is no reason to have a long, drawn-out, acrimonious courtship process with Mariano, Pettitte, or Kuroda.

Again, Cashman is rarely one to tip his pitches, all I'm saying is that the organization has more payroll flexibility than they seem to be admitting.

This blog does a nice job illustrating that the organization may be taking an unnecessarily harsh approach in these first few weeks of the offseason.

http://yanksgoyard.com/2012/11/08/br...nkees-in-2014/
    SI: Do you have a secret ambition?
    Igawa: That's secret.

"They should just practice during the regular season and show up for the playoffs -Ichiro on the Yankees

Depends on the length of the contract - if it's 7 years or less, it's not a bad investment.
    Anything above 7 years will likely become an albatross towards the end.
    Unless Cano takes charge, Boras will drive a hard bargain and try to get maximum years from somebody.

I don't think people are complaining about the budget, they are complaining about the priorities that seem to be emerging during this austerity period. The Yankees are stuck with a lot of bad contracts, and I don't think Cashman is a bad general manager, but I will be quite disappointed if the organization draws a hard line on players who could help us in the short-term.

Including estimates for their 6 arbitration-eligible players, the Yankees 2013 payroll commitment stands at approximately $150-155 million.

When you have $35-40 million to play with, there is no reason to have a long, drawn-out, acrimonious courtship process with Mariano, Pettitte, or Kuroda.

Again, Cashman is rarely one to tip his pitches, all I'm saying is that the organization has more payroll flexibility than they seem to be admitting.

This blog does a nice job illustrating that the organization may be taking an unnecessarily harsh approach in these first few weeks of the offseason.

http://yanksgoyard.com/2012/11/08/br...nkees-in-2014/
    What you're assuming is what Cashman's budget is in 2013. It might not be as high as it was in 2012. If so then your complaint should be directed at Yankee ownership.

By the way, how Cashman conducts his negotiations with free agents even Yankee free agents is something I give him a lot of leeway with because we as fans don't really exactly know what the other party is asking from the Yankees. A GM needs to have the ability to conduct neogtiations in the manner in which he can strike the best deal for his ballclub.

NYYF Legend

I've said it all along - Kuroda will be rejoining the Dodgers.
    He never wanted to leave LA in the first place, and now with new ownership in place, flush with cash, they've targeted Kuroda as a pitcher they want to bring back.

My guess is he refuses the $13.3 million the Yankees have on the table, and goes back to LA for 1 year at $16 million.
    I think he will decline the qualifying offer then will sign for 1 year $16M with the Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by effdamets View Post
    I don't think the Yankees are effed at all.
    I also don't think Kuroda could put together another season like he just had in 2012 at his age.
    Certainly not in the AL East anyway.

There was absolutely NOTHING to suggest he is due for decline, other than age. Dude is one of the more underrated pitchers in the game.
    Thank you for making me calm today, Brett Gardner

Quote Originally Posted by snapple View Post
    There was absolutely NOTHING to suggest he is due for decline, other than age. Dude is one of the more underrated pitchers in the game.
    He's 38 years old.
    He posted the highest ERA+ of his ML career.
    I'll go on record saying he won't be as good next season.
    “Begin each day as if it were on purpose........”—Alex Hitchens

NYYF Legend

Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com reports that Rafael Soriano and the Yankees are "continuing to talk," and the reliever "is believed to prefer" staying in New York.

Soriano has rejected the Yanks' qualifying offer, as he wants a new multi-year contract. Mariano Rivera will return as the team's closer next season, but Soriano can offer insurance for him before taking back the role in 2014, assuming Mo retires. Soriano posted a 2.26 ERA while recording 42 saves in 2012.
    I hope this is Heyman acting as Boras' puppet yet again. Soriano makes no sense at all if they plan on getting under $189 in 2014. The money would be better used elsewhere.

Thread Information